Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trixie Belden and the Anthrocon Mystery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rava

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galadrion wrote:
I've got my own suspicions - Kinsfire knows about them. I'll wait to see... well, I'll wait for a while before I start airing them. As for the Suited Man, I don't know that he's a fed. The obvious 'MIB' suit is out of character for a field agent. Maybe a paper-pusher who managed to swing a trip to AC as part of an assignment and who got infected with the "I'm a big, bad fed" bug, but a real field agent would show up in jeans and a t-shirt until he (or she - just as likely) had an idea about what would blend in the best - and would then 'go chameleon'.

But what if it's deliberate? What if Suited Man wants everyone to think he's a fed? Why would he want that? Well, if he isn't part of the FBI or some such, it's a great distraction - someone who sees him is going to think (and probably say) "Federal agent!"... and once that's established, it's going to be hard for anyone who hears it to shake off the impression. And such memes are contagious - they travel at the speed of rumor... at an event such as Anthrocon, slightly under c-cubed (speed of light, in all three spatial dimensions).

Who might want to frame the feds for snooping on furries? And who might want to snoop on furries without being blamed? As I said, I'm going to hold off on that for now. I've already sent my answers to the 'question list' to Kinsfire - if and when he chooses to use them, you'll see my thoughts on the matter. Once that happens, I'll begin adding further speculation here - or if I think it may be something he can use, I'll send it directly to Kinsfire. (And no, Kinsfire, I'm not going to be asking for 'advance knowledge'. My reasoning from Galahad's Overture holds even more firmly for myself than for anyone else. Wink )

*Ding* Just had a brainstorm - Suited Man might be a field agent - and a damn good one. So why would a trained field agent blow his cover so obviously? Distraction value. It occured to me when I reread my "or she - just as likely" comment. If everyone is on the lookout for a blatent 'MIB', they aren't going to be looking as closely at someone who may be doing a better job at blending in. Right - that's it, I'm officially in 'mystery mode' - probably better known as 'mild paranoia'. I think I'm going to be on the lookout...

*laughs* If this wasnt a Trixie story I'd be tempted to explain it away as a "regular" business guest. Afterall the hotel does keep a few rooms for regular customers when they book the hotel.

As to who he is. I think one of a set of agents is likely. I'm surprise Trixie didnt think to look for someone watching the room quietly. She should know better by now Wink

Dennis is annoying me more and more by the second. I'm beinging to wonder where he got the money to buy the Frane house to begin with and what he's doing for money. Whatever cover story he has seems to be good, but is it good enough?
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First words out of his mouth are going to drive you absolutely nutty, then, when you read Chapter 5. He's going to infuriate a lot of people with what he says.

I'm having the amusing problem of trying figure out how to solve the mystery in three short days - Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, without seeming too rushed or too contrived.

And I'm seriously trying to keep it from crashing to an end suddenly, because I got impatient and decided to tell all too soon. I am hoping that a couple things will Surprise people properly. Laughing

This is the first mystery I've ever written, folks, so bear with me. In the end, it probably won't resemble a Trixie story as much as I'd like. I'm also still trying to decide whether or not to actually kill a specific character by the time the story has ended. (No, Rava, not one of the BWG. Smile ) Remember, I'm actually not quite finished introducing people, some of whom are only going to get a glossing over, and seem 2D at best.

Ah, well, I'm rambling, so I'm gonna shut up now.

Kinsfire

Rava

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinsfire wrote:
First words out of his mouth are going to drive you absolutely nutty, then, when you read Chapter 5. He's going to infuriate a lot of people with what he says.

I'm having the amusing problem of trying figure out how to solve the mystery in three short days - Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, without seeming too rushed or too contrived.

*chuckles* Well most dont leave until Monday so if you need an extra day.... Wink
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to our illustrious Librarian, an error in the story has been fixed.

Apparently in the copy-over process, a sentence or two had gotten slightly mangled. (I checked the original, and they're fine there.) He noticed and asked about it. It's fixed now. (If you're curious, it was the section where Tygon appears.)

As for another question I've been asked - well, you'll see what the suit is within a chapter or two. (I might even unveil it in chapter 5.)

Kinsfire

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
...Evan avoiding questions...

Nope, just Evan answering carefully. Laughing

Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, my victims - I mean readers:

Chapter 5 is available at my site!

Read it, and let me know what you think of it!

Kinsfire

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sets the story in a very different light.

Okay, first things first. Dennis doesn't want to tell them what this is all about. Not surprising. He's avoided talking about it all the time.

The main part of this chapter is obviously Trixie's talk with Galadrion. Lots of talking Smile

He is attracted to Trixie but from what I've read so far that seems more like a mutual reaction.

Interesting quirk of Galadrion there, BTW. I mean the stuff with the PDA. However, not too unusual. I need to keep my hands busy too or they'll get 'too loud' and if I had a PDA I's probably do something similar.

Okay, overall I can say from the talk I didn't get the impression that Galadrion is involved into whatever is happening. He seemed to know something but that might just be combining things Dennis let slip in conversations with him and some wild guessing.

That of course leads us to the new light that shines on this case. Could it be that Dennis made a revolutionary invention with that suit (or a part of it). It wouldn't be too unusual. Happened before.

That way a lot things would make sense. Dennis might want to sell it either to the government or a corporation. It would explain the FEDs at AC and that Dennis doesn't want to talk about it. There might be a lot money involved.

It also would explain the attacks. Somebody (the story's 'bad guy') somehow learned about whatever it is and not either wants it for himself or destroy it so Dennis won't be able to make the deal.

And that's exactly my problem. It fits to well. This explains everything but I can't quite belive that it's that easy.

Yes, I have the old "Everything's allright... something must be wrong" problem Smile

Of course, even if it is the case, there still are a few questions left. Who is the bad guy? The agitator Dennis already mentioned? Or somebody else? In that case, are the car accident and the attempt to break into Dennis' room even connected?

And who are the two persons that know about the costume and its secret? Evan seems to be one of them. Who is the other?

Questions, questions, question.

I hope the next chapter brings some answers Smile

Excellent writing, Kinsfire. I enjoyed it very much.

Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that whatever Tygon hasn't mentioned about chapter five, I've likely missed. I'm strange that way- I pick up on the really really subtle stuff at times, but miss the obvious things, like the bloody pawprint on the wall by the windowsill.

One thing I noticed about this chapter, after reading through what Galadrion and Trixie had to say was, that someone who knows Dennis, in a professional capacity, has to have some intel on the suit and wants to cash in-- or sabotage-- things for his or her own benefit. I daresay it's a male, only because it's usually the male propensity for being the 'alpha', whether by shining more brightly than the others, or by bringing another 'alpha' down. Most females wouldn't stoop to such low-brow tactics to get what they want.

Another thing is that Dennis knows far more than he's telling. He may not know exactly who is involved, but he knows more than he's been saying-- the careful way he's hedging his words alludes to that.

Something else- whatever it is about this suit, it's not the whole enchilada. Dennis is part and parcel to the suit- his girlfriend may not be as valuable to the other interested party(-ies), but Dennis is. Why else would he only have a broken leg? I would hazard to imagine that if anyone wanted him dead, they'd have made sure that *his* side of the car was the one to slam into a tree. Anyone with the skill to run another car off the road-- and it does take skill, folks--- this isn't something you can do unless it's by accident, or with training-- evidentally knows how to do it with some measure of achieving a predictable outcome. That leads me to another thought- usually, only police-type folks have that training. And there are "Feds" in attendance at the 'Con. Could it be one of their own, someone with ties to both Dennis and law enforcement? Okay- call me crazy- maybe I'm just over speculating. *grin*

Well, that's all I have for now. If I spot anything more- I'll be back.....

-Shirh Khan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
The main part of this chapter is obviously Trixie's talk with Galadrion. Lots of talking Smile

Makes it pretty accurate. Wink I talk a lot.

Tygon wrote:
He is attracted to Trixie but from what I've read so far that seems more like a mutual reaction.

On my side, hardly surprising. Laughing

As to her reaction... Shocked Not that I'd be complaining, mind you. Except about my own... um, "lack of cool". IRL, I'd have probably spilled the soda all over myself... Rolling Eyes

Tygon wrote:
Interesting quirk of Galadrion there, BTW. I mean the stuff with the PDA. However, not too unusual. I need to keep my hands busy too or they'll get 'too loud' and if I had a PDA I's probably do something similar.

<Open laughter> That little gadget has probably kept me from accidentally belting countless strangers. Plus, who needs brains (or a memory) when you've got batteries?

Tygon wrote:
I hope the next chapter brings some answers Smile

Excellent writing, Kinsfire. I enjoyed it very much.

Mostly hearty agreement, though I hope not too many answers come out that soon. I'd like to see this one continue for several more chapters. I'm enjoying this quite a bit, and I'd like to see some more before it draws to a close.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirh Khan wrote:
Something else- whatever it is about this suit, it's not the whole enchilada. Dennis is part and parcel to the suit- his girlfriend may not be as valuable to the other interested party(-ies), but Dennis is. Why else would he only have a broken leg? I would hazard to imagine that if anyone wanted him dead, they'd have made sure that *his* side of the car was the one to slam into a tree. Anyone with the skill to run another car off the road-- and it does take skill, folks--- this isn't something you can do unless it's by accident, or with training-- evidentally knows how to do it with some measure of achieving a predictable outcome. That leads me to another thought- usually, only police-type folks have that training. And there are "Feds" in attendance at the 'Con. Could it be one of their own, someone with ties to both Dennis and law enforcement? Okay- call me crazy- maybe I'm just over speculating. *grin*

Mm - don't know if I'd entirely agree about "Furson X" controlling the crash enough to ensure that one side or another hit the tree. True, it takes a fair amount of skill to force another car into a spin without getting sucked into it yourself, but there's really too many variables involved - speed, reaction time for the victim, distance to the target object, terrain once the car leaves the pavement, etcetera, etcetera, et-bleedin'-cetera - to really say which side of the car will hit first. Or even, given the skill of the target car's driver, whether the car will hit at all. Remember, Honey's father commented on Dennis's driving skill - that introduces a large variable that "Furson X" had little or no control over.

And I don't like the way that Dennis says the aggressor vehicle sped off - that speaks of "Furson X" knowing that his or her objective wasn't actually in the car - the objective in the attack was clearly to stop the vehicle, and no regard was given to the occupants (or even uninvolved onlookers). Think about it - they were on a public road. If another vehicle had been there, don't you think it likely that they might well have been drawn into the wreck as well? That level of ruthlessness bothers me - Trixie was right about her speculation along those lines. I would have little difficulty deciding that the world would be a better place without someone of that nature.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galadrion wrote:
And I don't like the way that Dennis says the aggressor vehicle sped off - that speaks of "Furson X" knowing that his or her objective wasn't actually in the car - the objective in the attack was clearly to stop the vehicle, and no regard was given to the occupants (or even uninvolved onlookers). Think about it - they were on a public road. If another vehicle had been there, don't you think it likely that they might well have been drawn into the wreck as well? That level of ruthlessness bothers me - Trixie was right about her speculation along those lines. I would have little difficulty deciding that the world would be a better place without someone of that nature.

There's an explanation that people are going to be VERY disturbed by coming up - I'm seeing feelers at the edges of the info. I've already written a very important section, which you won't see for several chapters. I flat out tell you who the bad guy is, which is why it'll end up just before the end of the story! Laughing

There's a very specific name for the way they were shoved off the road, by the way. And it's not as easy to control the car you're shoving as you might think.

Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those waiting Lo! these many moons, I have good news to report:

Chapter 6 is available at my site!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.

beau_wolff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinsfire wrote:
Chapter 6 is available at my site!

I like it! I like it!

So ... when's Chapter 7 going to be out? ^_^
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I admit, I'm disappointed. Not because the chapter was bad, since it wasn't. It was good. I'm disappointed about the revelations this chapter brings. No because they are bad either. They are good and it makes sense.

I'm diappointed because of revelation itself. I would have prefurred to guess about it a little longer. However, maybe that's just me.

Anyway, there still are some little things hidden, like who exactly is after that stuff Dennis created. And that's exactly where this chapter doesn't bring me personally forward so I'll end this 'review'.

Good chapter, Kinsfire. Easy to read and entertaining.

And now please excuse me. I have to prepare for my vacation.

Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The revelations aren't done yet - this is an important one, but (at least in my mind) not the important one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> kinsfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: