Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wolf Children: Ame & Yuki

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kantaro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: The Wolf Children: Ame & Yuki Reply with quote

Have any of you seen this? It's a Japanese animated movie released last year in Japan to almost universal acclaim. It won best animated picture at the Japanese version of the Oscars, as well as at a number of other film festivals.

Funimation in the US has already gotten the rights so they will be releasing an English dubbed version of it at some point in the US but as of now there are versions with English subtitles.

It's about a 19 year old woman who meets a man sneaking in to her college for lessons. She likes him, and offers to share her textbooks with him. After a period of time, he reveals his secret to her; he is a wolf man. Not a traditional werewolf, but a man who has the last of the Japanese wolves' blood running through his veins. He is the only one of his kind left, as all the Japanese wolves went extinct 100 years ago.

He is able to transform into a wolf at will, and does so in front of the woman (named Hana) in the hopes that she would accept him for who he is. She does, and he moves into her tiny apartment with her, and together they conceive a girl named Yuki, and a year later a boy named Ame.

Shortly after Ame is born, the father goes missing. He went out hunting for food and was accidentally killed in the process. Now Hana must raise her two small wolf children by herself, and face all the problems that go with it.

Her neighbors complain because Ame always cries, but her neighbors also complain that she has pets, because they can hear howling. When Yuki eats some silca gel one night and gets sick, Hana can't decide whether to bring her to the children's hospital or the vet.

The movie is about the next 10 years, how the wolf children grow up and how they try, fail and succeed at fitting in to society. It's their eternal struggle, and the constant need to answer the question their mother asked them when they were young: Do you want to be humans or wolves?

I cannot express how beautiful this movie is. In terms of artwork it's traditional 2D hand drawn animation and when you watch it you realize what you're missing when you watch a 3D animated movie, even the good ones from Pixar. It's absolutely gorgeous. The pace of the movie is intentionally a bit slow, to let you take in everything around you as it happens. The story is heartbreakingly sad, bitterly angry, hysterically funny, adorably cute and everything in between. It is a story told by a master class storyteller, and if you have feelings you do not want to miss it.

There is of course a somewhat furry aspect to it, as the father and both his children can (and do) turn into wolves, but it's not really about that as much as it is about the difficulties surrounding it, the challenges of a sort of mystical ability in an exceedingly normal setting.

It is a beautiful, heart-wrenching movie that IMO nobody should miss. If you get the opportunity, see it.

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, you changed your name?

Errr, guess you wanted comments about the movie.

Looks interesting, and nice idea. The focus of the story is what I'm trying to express when explaining the difference between anthro-fic and sci-fi, or antho-fic and paranormal. It's a personal story about the characters' journey. Of course anthro-fic (furry-fic, if you prefer) isn't a "real" genre, so we're stuck with sci-fi, fantasy, or paranormal (for shape-shifters).

Scotty

Kantaro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and this movie is almost real enough to be considered non-fiction, if it weren't made up. And had kids who can turn into wolves in it. But seriously, aside from that it's preeminently realistic, it has a very, very real tone and quality to it.

That's why I said it's a master class in storytelling; the story is first and foremost throughout the whole thing. The wolf changing blends and flows into the story so well that it's not designed to shock you or amaze you, it's simply a part of their otherwise relatively normal lives.

It just sort of shows you what some very real difficulties might be if you had children who could turn into wolves. Like this, for example.

Kantaro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, and one more - this is what I meant about the beauty of traditional hand drawn 2D animation. They took their time, and drew many many frames for even the simplest scenes. look at how the wind affects everything, look at his ears. You just don't see that in 3D CGI, it just doesn't look as natural as that.

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kantaro wrote:
... almost real enough to be considered non-fiction, if it weren't made up.
Dude, that is brill! You are my new sig.

Kantaro wrote:
It just sort of shows you what some very real difficulties might be if you had children who could turn into wolves. Like this, for example.
YouTube is always fun. I get a kick out of the vids of folks with wild pets where all these other people post: "SQUEEEEE! Oh I can't wait to get my own wolf/fox/coyote/dingo/fennec as a pet." Of course almost no one is truly equipped to handle a wild canid as a companion animal. Captive in a cage, yes. Companion and friend, almost never.

For the vast majority of people dogs rule and wild canids drool for two major reasons:

First, dogs have lived with humans for 15 to 40-thousand years (depending on the source). When they get bored dogs take a nap. Wild canids do pretty much what you see in the video, even as adults, and even when not bored.

Second, because dogs have lived with humans so long they've learned to read our body language and respond to us. Successfully living with a wild canid means we need to live on their terms not ours. Watching The Dog Whisperer shows me some people don't get domestic dogs. Imagine such a person trying to deal with a pet coyote.

Oh that last thought brings a smile to my lips. Twisted Evil

But you knew all that. It's apparent from your post. Come celebrate the silliness of the rest of the human race with me. Laughing

Scotty

Elhaam

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a subbed version of this online recently. I'm glad I did. Of course it was sad, being about a single parent struggling to make end's meet, but I easily warm up to that kind of story (like The Pursuit of Happyness or The Secret of NIMH). The supernatural elements made it mysterious and interesting.
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kantaro wrote:
Sorry, and one more - this is what I meant about the beauty of traditional hand drawn 2D animation. They took their time, and drew many many frames for even the simplest scenes. look at how the wind affects everything, look at his ears. You just don't see that in 3D CGI, it just doesn't look as natural as that.

Hand Drawn Versus 3D Modeled Animation

Actually you see that all the time in 3D CGI. It's far easier to do when you can set attributes on clothing, hair, breasts, etc. then let them sway, blow, and bounce automatically with no direct input from the animator. Of course it can be done in hand-drawn animation, but it is a huge amount of work.

3D is no better or worse than hand drawn, it's just different. There is a difference in the look, unless one uses a toon renderer on your 3D. Other than that the biggest difference is how easy it is to do something.

Rich backgrounds are easier to do in hand drawn. In 3D you need to model every stinkin tree, bush, and blade of grass, which is why most 3D created projects have sparse backgrounds. E.g. Rango was set in the desert. Even Loony Toons can set a scene in a forest, and they're animating on the cheap and on the fast. BTW, Shrek used an automated generator tool to spawn trees, rocks, etc. Not good enough for foreground, but fine for long shots.

Rapidly changing camera angles, swoop arounds, and character tracking is far easier to do in 3D. The models are all there and defined on all sides. It's just a matter of moving the virtual camera. With hand drawn the backgrounds and everything needs to be recreated for each frame. Might be worth it for a feature film, but not for a quick project.

It is really, really hard to get photo realism with human characters in either medium. We know humans and have certain expectations. Most 3D animators try to stay away from the Uncanny Valley. The work must be perfect, or it must look animated. The work would be insanely high for hand drawn. Know of no one whose attempted it.

Here is an example of a toon renderer used with 3D animation to give it a hand drawn look. The constantly shifting camera positions and sparse backgrounds give it away though. The Duel by Anzovin Studios.

bkatt500

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look around for it, definitely.

That's interesting about the backgrounds... I always thought it would be easier in cg since you could use, say, ten different trees which all look very different at different angles and generate them randomly and at different angles. It might not hold up to obsessive inspection, but it wouldn't be noticeable for most viewers I would think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: