Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Name your 'AVC' cast!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The BioCobra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Name your 'AVC' cast! Reply with quote

The time has come for a second round! The filly suggested to me on Skype that we should do a cast list for Amat Victoria Curam, in the spirit of the original cast list that was made up for Transitions by her and Valaina, and she asked me to come up with my own version that we could then debate. There were moments were we agreed someone or other was perfect for the role, and times when my ideas could use a shake-up.

These choices are based entirely on the premise that AVC would be made into a non-furry live action film. Again, this list is up for discussion and debate, and these are mostly my own choices, with a few that the filly suggested that I in turn was brought around to accepting as well.

And, once again, we'd need to bankrupt half of Hollywood in order to get the majority of this cast, but it's all fun in the end, right?

Anyway, let's get cracking:

Quintus Virginus/Leonidas: Chris Pine, as the man is handsome enough to look like Quintus is described, but give him a little stubble and he can pull of gritty just as wonderfully. He can play both the rich playboy type, and then turn into the world-weary, grizzled warrior Quintus is at the end of the book.

Enid of the Iceni: Kate Winslet, and although she is much more of the classic British white actress, and so doesn't necessarily have a Celtic feel to her looks, she has the perfect sharpness of face to play a character as strong-willed as Enid, and yet also the emotional range to play Enid's more sensitive side.

Vipsania: Gemma Arterton, since this actress as a very classical beauty to her, and also has the softness of voice and expressiveness of the eyes that fits my own view of Vipsania. At the same time, of course, she is also capable of being able to play a warrior and a teacher too, which she is to Quintus at times. Plus, I could not imagine anyone else pulling off Vips' death as well as I believe she could.

Caius Virginus: Liam Neeson, because the man looks the part, sounds the part, and we know very well that he can act the part. Imagine him standing in front of all the senate as Caius, denouncing Caligula in public, when the whole room is brought to stunned silence.

Marcus Virginus: Karl Urban... Strong jawline, looks like he could be an older brother to Chris Pine, and can you see him as Marcus threatening senator Minutius, or sending all the Praetorian Guard on a flying lap of the walls of Rome at midnight? This guy just has the look and style to pull off a character who is both hard-as-nails and also caring, as Marcus so often is.

Manius Caelius *boo, hiss*: Eduardo Verastegui... Now, I don't know this actor well enough myself, but this is more the filly's suggestion. He certainly looks thin and tall, and has the Iberian complexion to boot. And, of course, his hair is perfect to Manius' character too. Though we're not sure whether this man can play rank bastards or not...

Lucius Valerius: Mark Strong, since he's the right age, the right sort of face and voice (in my opinion), and while he's much better known for playing out and out villains, I can easily see Mark Strong playing a much more pathetic and sympathetic villain like Lucius as well.

Caligula: Bradley Cooper... Have you seen more madly intense eyes on any actor like Bradley cooper? And yet he can still be considered one of the sexiest men alive! He looks like he could be ready to execute you without a second thought. In particular, the filly pictured the scene where Caligula's sitting in his box at the Circus Maximus, staring down at the Thermopylae reenactment, and at Quintus, with such unbridled hatred. Cooper can pull that off on looks alone, acting style aside.

Claudius: Russell Crowe... My personal choice, partly since I thought the man could play it well enough, and also as an in-joke to Aslaug (I think we all see why...) Of course, she pointed out that the man's ego would never permit him to play such a degrading role as Claudius, but I still think he could pull it off if he were to swallow his pride a little.

Tertius: I chose Jude Law, on the basis that his acting skill is undeniable, and he can play a variety of characters, despite looking a little baby-faced. The filly, after some corroboration, thought that Viggo Mortensen would be better as the older, more rugged Tertius that she sees in her mind's eye. Ultimately, Tertius was a character that people interpret differently, so it's all down to personal choice here.

Agrippina: Jennifer Connolly, who has a style of beauty that would most likely have been considered as such in Rome. But she also has an intensity of expression that means she could play a very good scheming character with a more concerned side.

Albiorix: Chris Hemsworth, 'cause lets face it; the man who can pull off Thor the way he did can easily play the part of an impressive Gallic servant to the emperor's sister, as long as you give him a large enough beard.

Kaeso Apthorus: Jamie Bell, as this guys looks like he was born to play the unlikely hero character with an unassuming stature, and the right sort of thin jawline for both serious fighting and smiling genuinely.

Tacita: Ellen Page, she has a young, very innocent beauty to her, as Tacita is depicted both in the writing and in the book's furry artwork, but her acting career has proven she can play a character who has an incredible amount of cunning and political wherewithal under her fine features, as Tacita inherited such skill from her father...

Felix: Cillian Murphy... One word; androgynous. Cillian Murphy makes for a wonderfully feminine male actor, and is well established someone who can play manipulative, calculating characters.

Cassius Charea James Purefoy, another choice of mine for the filly's sake, since James Purefoy was born to wear a cuirass or some heavy form of armour. He is more than capable of pulling off the grim, hardened veteran side of Cassius, which is also perfect in that, despite being homosexual, Cassius never acts particularly effeminately.

Hamilbal: Faran Tahir, being of Lebanese descent (Hamilbal was phoenician, and they came from the area of what is now Lebanon), this actor looks the part, and he also really sounds it too. Imagine this actor playing Hamilbal as he emerges from a dark alleyway to commit some terrible deed, and yet also act simperingly to Romans after he spat on their boots...

Pomponius Porcus: Ian McNiece... The filly suggested this one, but boy do I agree. McNiece is beyond ideal for the kind of fat, cowardly, lazy little man that Pomponius so epitomizes in every way, even by name.

And that's it from me. There are other characters I haven't considered, of course, and I'm sure many of you who've read AVC will be able to make suggestions of your own for all the characters mentioned and those not mentioned. Me and Aslaug would like to see what comes of this debate, so we look forward to suggestions. Very Happy

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of [fur]kind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." — Dave Barry
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, I actually meant the hamster that never gets named but eventually ends up in the belly of Caligula's pets for Ian McNiece ;D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The BioCobra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, bloody hell. Trust me to get that one wrong. I was struggling to remember all the details of the conversation at the time. I must have been getting quite tired by the time we started discussing the list then. Well, either way, now you've cleared that up. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of [fur]kind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." — Dave Barry
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh fardles! Now I have to sit down and read it all over again! Not that I didn't enjoy it the first time around. Good reading, good story.

Anyway . . .

Enid of the Iceni: A young Lucy Lawless.

That's all for now.

Mr. Green

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an obvious but excellent choice. The funny thing is, that I have always thought of Gabrielle Ryder, who played the part, as either creole or mulatto. The joke of course, is that broncos are by definition NOT purebloods, and that her father's speciecism was ridiculous on that basis alone Smile

Last edited by Aslaug on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Gabrielle Rudder? Do you have an otter character I don't know about?

(Yes, I'm teasing you.)

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damned spellchecker on my telephone. It is now corrected Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: