Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nachter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I'll half-agree with ya Nameless, bout keeping some FAC along with the bombers for anti-FAC duties [but without some numbers the proportions may need to be altered]...
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the proportions might shift a bit with more data on the capabilities of the crafts and the specific tactical situation. I was basing the numbers on the 6 to 1 ratio between FACs and bombers given in the previous chapter and the 2 to 1 numerican advantage for the Terrans given in this chapter.
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is ... is it any wonder that the pilots are demoralized? The tactics are indeed absolutely awful and it's been left to individual heroics to win any given battle. The only "excuse" I can think of myself, is that this is still the first war in space fought by humanity (true to form it is against ourselves) and tactics are not very well defined for that reason, but nonetheless, you are absolutely correct Nameless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:
he only "excuse" I can think of myself, is that this is still the first war in space fought by humanity (true to form it is against ourselves) and tactics are not very well defined for that reason, but nonetheless, you are absolutely correct Nameless.

That might have counted as an "excuse" for the first few battles of this war.
But there are two big points why not:

Fist, the tactics points I brought up are VERY elementary. The interaction between different unit types has been a decisive factor in war ever since humans figured out that some weapons were better for bashing in skulls close up and others were better for throwing (or had other uses). The same principle applied to the interaction between bowmen, cavalry and infantary just as much as to infantary, artillery and tanks as battleships, destroyers and submarines (or fighters, bombers and aircraft carriers; the closest current similar model I can think of from the top of my head). The exact parameters of the interaction depend on the actual units in question, but the principles are the same.

Second, I assume they have a "Military College" or something similar that teaches starting officers. Also, this is a society that has computers, so the first thing one SHOULD do here as soon as the war began was to start running simulations to try different tactics. Designing new hardware would also be important, but that takes a lot longer, particularly until it goes into actual combat service. But doing war games and releasing new doctrines can be done quickly.

I'll have to assume that the writings of Sun Tzu were lost in this setting...
Well, obviously the people at the top are really incompetent.

Frazikar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing to consider, most services are prepared to win the last 'war'... mainly as most can't tell what this one will bring (new) to the table...
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Tzu is based in part on Chinese philosophy, which was codified and made into a religion through Confusius. Even if they are two different people, the similarities would be so great that his teachings would not be taught and would in fact be outright banned Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bastion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it's that time again. Chapter 3 of Nachter is up...

My groovy death metal band, Prevail
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost ship, complete with (one?) holographic ghost...
The BioCobra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting how-do-you-do for the books... There are many questions that rise in this chapter, and they will only really be answered as the story progresses.

Not much else can say, really. I did enjoy all the description put into the Götterdämmerung, and I felt that the talk of the Doomsday's constant on-the-fly repair had a real sense of accuracy to what actual starships with prolonged space travel and combat would go through.

I shall hopefully have more to say with the next chapter. I look forward to it.

Cobra out.

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of [fur]kind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." — Dave Barry
Latrans

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And being the first thread to get a post since I joined, I've since caught up on Chapter III and the Prologue (still need to read I and II). That's some very good writing. Nicely descriptive. I'll definitely have to get caught up on the rest of Aslaug's works.
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! Another coyote in our midst, it seems. I am glad you enjoy the story, and I hope you will enjoy the rest of them as well.
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was that saying? "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it." or something like this. And if you burn all the books, then it gets a little hard to learn from history, doesn't it.

This is going to sound a bit strange, but I can't help the feeling that they are practicing their atheism with religious fervor...

Hmmm, so did the crew of the "Götterdämmerung" upload itself to the ship's computers?

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless wrote:
This is going to sound a bit strange, but I can't help the feeling that they are practicing their atheism with religious fervor...

You never fail to get to the absolute core of a situation, Nameless! You are not only completely correct, but this is something that all my proofers can attest has been debated since I started writing this story. That the whole point is that the terran government does, in fact, practice their lack of religion with a complete religious zeal.

It is, in fact, one of the core tennets of the story, and I am thrilled someone said it so succinctly here on the forum. Thank you!
Latrans

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay. I've been out of town visiting my ladyfriend for the past couple days. I'll work up a good review of Nachter in the near future.

Aslaug, I'd also like to throw some of my thoughts on your other works your way, but don't want to clog up this thread with stuff, nor am I comfortable enough with the board yet to consider necroposting past threads without the permission of others. Would you like my thoughts put together in a single PM to you, or should I go ahead and dig up those old threads dealing with the individual stories?
Frazikar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, go ahead and necropopst a bit, I mean at best - you're ignored and at worst - there's a reply??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: