Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ONE Thing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[Crash]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tijn wrote:
[Crash] wrote:
Eagle eyes. Nothing better for a pilot.

For a pilot night vision would come in handy too, but that seems to counter eagle-vision.

Typically, when it's dark, no one can see you either. But being able to pick out an advancing fighter from a spec on the windshield in the daytime gives you the jump on them.

Although I guess it'd help if you're warding off nighttime bombing runs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, night vision. Something similar to an owl if I could get away with it. I mean, yeah, I'd pretty much have to wear dark sunglasses during the day but holy crap, I could see in almost absolute darkness. That'd be the best. For me anyways.
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that to get the lifespan of a redwood tree, you'd need the metabolism of a redwood tree.

Also, why would the vision of an eagle exclude good night vision? At least some of the requirements for both are satisfied by the same "equipment" tweaks: tightly packed sensor cells in the retina. But not all sensor cells are created equal. We know the most about human vision, but other organisms may have a third (or fourth) choice beyond rods and cones.

However there seem to be two physical hallmarks of low-light vision: A reflective layer behind the retina to give incoming photons that missed hitting a receptor molecule a second chance. And for animals capable of daylight operation, a pupil with a huge range of sizes. For example a cat's pupil.

But seeing the daylight world through a slit might mess with the quality of the image, so maybe you can't have eagle-cat eyes. Anyway, how good can nighttime vision be? Many animals can see better than we can in the dark, but I doubt they can see as well as some of us wish we could see.

Since if the photons don't exist, then we cannot see--for those of us who want to "see" in the dark, how about sonar like a bat or a dolphin?

Transformation is usually the realm of fantasy--magic or demon powers. Since there is no creature who can transform, genetic engineering will not give one transformative powers. In a sci-fi world I suppose nanomachines under the control of an organic brain could replace the skeletal system--but that's hardly the realm of gen-eng.

But wait! There is one possibility. There is a class of living creatures with some astounding transformative powers. Unfortunately they cannot make the sort of change found in werewolf stories. And it helps that they lack any sort of skeletal system--being just a bag of muscles. This pretty much confines them to an aquatic environment.

Of course I'm talking about the octopus. Not all species, but some have amazing control of skin color and texture. A human soldier with gen-eng octopus skin, and an amped-up nervous system to control it, would not need camo, or even a ghillie suit--he'd only need go about nude. Stand next to a tree and within seconds gain skin color and texture to match the bark. Lay on the forest floor and within seconds gain skin color and texture to match the leafy litter. Stand against a wall in an alley and within seconds gain brick color and texture, including graffiti.

A skeletal system means such a person would be stuck in human form, but with complete control over skin color and texture far more than an instant ghillie-suit effect would be possible. You could become the ultimate spy. The Big Bad's minions are chasing you, so you round a corner and instantly change race and stop running. You lean up against the wall and wait... "Yeah," you say, "I saw that guy. He went that a way."

Hair might not work with octopus skin though. But it'd save the embarrassment of getting a Brazilian. One could wear a wig, or from a distance fake the appearance of hair.

Now would that be hot, or what? Someday I'm gonna write a novel about gen-eng subjects who've been given octopus skin.

The cuttlefish (related to the squid, which are related to octopi) cannot change skin texture, but their control over color, and the speed at which they can change their color, is mind boggling. They can go through several complete and radical color changes per second. And they get colors like metallic blue in their palette. And they can do patterns like stripes.

Let's get back to vision. Forget eagle eyes or cat vision, how about the mantis shrimp vision? Quote from that article:
Quote:
The mantis shrimps in the study are found on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia and have the most complex vision systems known to science. They can see in twelve colours (humans see in only three) and can distinguish between different forms of polarized light.

How can we even begin to imagine what it would be like to have the vision of a mantis shrimp unless we could actually have that, even if only for 24 hours. I think we might change our tune then. I'll bet being able to manipulate the polarization of incoming light would help with stuff like being able to see through fog. And think how much richer the world would appear if we could see not red, green, and blue, but twelve colors ranging from mid-infrared through near-ultraviolet.

I think we've all shown a remarkable lack of imagination here, myself included. And I haven't even begun to touch on the world of arthropods.

So I'm going to change my answer.

I want human form, but with the hairless skin of an octopus coupled with the superb color control of the cuttlefish, and an improved nervous system to be able to control it all.

Now it's your turn. And try to come up with a good answer this time. As per the original post: "If you could have one animal characteristic or attribute what would it be?"

But if you divide the world into animal, vegetable, or mineral, then "animal" becomes a pretty broad category.

S~

tijn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a slightly different direction then...
The 'waterflea' (Daphnia magna) reacts in a peculiar way to its environment. Certain pollutants will change all the females into males. This happens literally overnight.

So: how about the ability to decide your gender for the next day? (or, what the heck, any stage in between)

Furthermore, I'd like to be able to regenerate parts of my body if they get damaged / lost. Why not be able to choose if one has a tail or hair, depending on the mood?

Our feet are lumps, we can't do much with them anymore. Back to primate feet then? More function, fingers instead of toes (try climbing with that).
Do we have enough joints? More flexible joints, being able to turn most joints every way.
Alexi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually put a lot of thought into my response. The owl like night vision is all I really feel I'd enjoy. It's just me though.

Now, if you want to get into the cooler aspects of animal abilities that most furs might not think about. How about the ability to stick to things like a Geko? The pads of their feet have all of those tiny ridges and yet they cling to far more than those ridges should allow them to according to current knowledge of phisical law.

How cool/ usefull would it be to be able to cling and climb at will and whim?

[Crash]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottyDM wrote:
Scotty was here

Regardless of what Eagle vision brings, I only care about the precision sight. After all, night and day vision use two different part of the eyes so if we're going for technicalities, then I only want Eagle daytime vision.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always aspired to the level of flexibility, adaptability, and cunning of the coyote ... those guys are almost indestructible.

SC

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silver Coyote wrote:
I've always aspired to the level of flexibility, adaptability, and cunning of the coyote ... those guys are almost indestructible.

As a species that's true. But individuals sure can take a beating.

Hmmm, after my arthropods clue, I'm surprised someone didn't say they wanted multiple pairs of eyes. One pair for super-sharp vision, another for low-light vision, etc. Maybe you could protect your low-light vision pair by rolling them back into their sockets during the day.

Or venom. Did anyone say they wanted venom yet?

Actually, geko feet are well understood.

Body regeneration would be kinda cool, but only useful in certain situations. The gender thing might be cool too.

I still like the idea of octopus skin, but I suppose it's not terribly practical in cold climates.

S~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: