Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Mystic Wolf is back
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
tijn
Registered User


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 273
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They’ll realize that if they’re blaming their marital problems on the gay couple down the street that they’re just looking for an excuse

I don't get this, why write something like that? It doesn't make sense.
I don't believe people could possibly think that way.
Tobias doesn't sound like a nice guy at all with such thoughts in his head.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sigurd Volsung
Registered User


Joined: 21 Feb 2004
Posts: 3216
Location: The Twin Cities

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tijn wrote:
Quote:
They’ll realize that if they’re blaming their marital problems on the gay couple down the street that they’re just looking for an excuse

I don't get this, why write something like that? It doesn't make sense.
I don't believe people could possibly think that way.
Tobias doesn't sound like a nice guy at all with such thoughts in his head.


The reason that Tobias says that some people actually do believe that kind of stuff in the US. Being in the Netherlands you don't realize just how asinine the US conservatives are.

_________________
Bad moods are like hangovers, they eventually go away. - A. Sigurd Olson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
tijn
Registered User


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 273
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigurd Volsung wrote:
The reason that Tobias says that some people actually do believe that kind of stuff in the US. Being in the Netherlands you don't realize just how asinine the US conservatives are.

Let me put it another way then. If such convictions do exist around here, I am not aware of them. This could for several reasons but I am going to assume it's due to the larger (absolute) number of people who feel that way around the USA, causing this to be voiced. Mind you, religious fanatics (I take it that is what you mean by 'conservative' because the one and the other aren't the same in my book) are not uncommon here...
Moreover I have to admit that gay people aren't as free as they used to be (eg. in Amsterdam) but the very idea of inferring a problem by proxy seems like a whole lot of bridges too far!
Even religious fanatics have a living brain with higher functions.

Sorry to pick up on this in your story thread but I can't shake the idea the words are in your story for a reason (even if only to get them off your chest).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Wolfshead
Registered User


Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Posts: 49
Location: St. louis, MO USA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tijn wrote:

Even religious fanatics have a living brain with higher functions.


I have to argue this one with you. There are all too many fanatics, religious and otherwise who seem to have NO functioning brain cells. If you have the stomach for it, look up the Westboro Baptist Church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tijn
Registered User


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 273
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfshead: I think you made your point with that link.

So: I guess they have brain cells, living ones else they'd not be marching around. The idea of higher functions, I have to revise.

Still, I trust this group of, 'people', is a small and weirdly gullible fraction of humanity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sigurd Volsung
Registered User


Joined: 21 Feb 2004
Posts: 3216
Location: The Twin Cities

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tijn wrote:
Wolfshead: I think you made your point with that link.

So: I guess they have brain cells, living ones else they'd not be marching around. The idea of higher functions, I have to revise.

Still, I trust this group of, 'people', is a small and weirdly gullible fraction of humanity.


Unfortunately in Minnesota the bit about the 400,000 DVDs that the Catholic Church distributed is not a joke at all, and from what I have heard about them the idea that Gay marriage will destroy all ready existing marriages is spelled out in those DVDs (as I am not Catholic and have no Catholic friends in the state I will probably never see one of those DVDs myself). I have in no way exaggerated the situation as it stands in Minnesota USA which is where the Mystic Wolf is located. The only bit of exaggeration I did and that is only a bit would be about Pope Benedict's ties to the Nazi party, Aslaug would love to kill me on this point. That being said though there was quite a bit of stink made in parts of the US based on that very fact, plus Tobias has come to hate his former faith and will attack the Church in any way he feels like.

Yes Tobias's statements regarding the way things stand on gay rights is based on my own feelings, but they are also based on the feelings of most of my friends and family. With the current deadlock in the Governors race in Minnesota with a recount going on, gay marriage has been a HUGE issue on both sides. On one side the Democrat has shown a desire to pass a law allowing for gay marriage with out a vote of the people of Minnesota. On the other side of the situation the Republican wants to push for a constitutional amendment banning it. Again I wish I was making a joke.

_________________
Bad moods are like hangovers, they eventually go away. - A. Sigurd Olson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner


Joined: 04 Jan 2005
Posts: 1848
Location: Gentofte, Denmark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to "kill you" over it, Sigurd. I'm simply calling for rationality. There are -plenty- of issues to shoot at the Catholic church for, but Benedict being forced into the Hitler Youth because the law said it had to happen, the day after he turned 14 isn't one of them, that's all. I strongly dislike the man and many of his views, no question about that. I just don't think anything is gained by perpetuating the clearly disproven myth that he was ever a nazi.

If one wants to be taken seriously in a debate about the problems caused by the Catholic church, or ANY religion for that matter, in regards to homosexuals or other minorities, human rights or legal procedures, one has to start out by getting one's facts absolutely straight. Otherwise, all one accomplishes is to strengthen the people one is arguing against.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Concolor
Registered User


Joined: 19 Nov 2001
Posts: 832
Location: South Carolina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tijn wrote:
Quote:
They’ll realize that if they’re blaming their marital problems on the gay couple down the street that they’re just looking for an excuse

I don't get this, why write something like that? It doesn't make sense.
I don't believe people could possibly think that way.
Tobias doesn't sound like a nice guy at all with such thoughts in his head.

You would be absolutely AMAZED at the nonsensical crap that people believe. I listened to a mindless rant yesterday (my wife found it online) from this one pastor who was blaming everything from AIDS to world hunger on the gay population. I've witnessed ANY NUMBER of "Christianist" talkingheads spew the most ridiculous accusations you ever heard, with nothing whatsoever to back them up ... and which frequently went counter to established scientific fact.

The people at the National Organization for Marriage are deadly serious when they say that same-sex marriage is the biggest threat to our country in its history. They really, truly believe that, all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding. That's why they MUST be opposed. Truth MUST be spread to counteract their lies.

_________________
Oddly enough, my life is based on a true story. (Ashleigh Brilliant)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Concolor
Registered User


Joined: 19 Nov 2001
Posts: 832
Location: South Carolina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, by the way, I am lovin' this story! I'm pretty familiar with the Mystic Wolf, and have missed reading about Brisbane, et al. Thanks much for bringing him back!

Please pardon my rather strident reply in the post above. It's just that when I hear someone go on for twenty minutes in absolute conviction, pounding out a string of COMPLETE FALSEHOODS the way that pastor did ... I get kinda exercised about it.

_________________
Oddly enough, my life is based on a true story. (Ashleigh Brilliant)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sigurd Volsung
Registered User


Joined: 21 Feb 2004
Posts: 3216
Location: The Twin Cities

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:
I don't want to "kill you" over it, Sigurd.


I was joking, I was just thinking of a post you made in a thread on your blog. Despite our commonly held religious beliefs you are far to peaceful for that, and I love you for it.

As I said in my post Aslaug is that when Benedict became Pope there was a huge stink made about it in the US even though he was forced into the Nazi Party. As I also said Tobias doesn't really care about whether or not that fact is true he has come to hate the Church that much. There are times when several of my characters, including the many diety patrons, will go slightly beyond rational thought, as evidenced by the mention of the Pantheon Brawl in the first chapter. Tobias was not trying to be taken in seriously in a debate he was voicing truly vitriolic hatred to the actions of the Church in a Pagan bar.

In retrospect what I should have gone after was the fact that when Pope Benedict was still a Cardinal, one of his duties was to make judgements regarding pedophile priests. He consistently merely had them say in affect "I'm sorry. I won't do it again" to the church, and then send them some where else so they'd have a new 'target rich' environment. I have started maintain that the Catholic Church should be considered a criminal organization for what basically amounts to aiding and abetting sexual predators.

By the way thank you for reading, I know just how busy you are, and it means a lot to me. That goes for everyone here.

_________________
Bad moods are like hangovers, they eventually go away. - A. Sigurd Olson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sigurd Volsung
Registered User


Joined: 21 Feb 2004
Posts: 3216
Location: The Twin Cities

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should mention that I will most likely no longer voice attacks on other faiths. I went after the Catholic Church simply because of what they have done recently, though because of current political turmoil in Minnesota I may attack the Republican party, in the not too distant future.
_________________
Bad moods are like hangovers, they eventually go away. - A. Sigurd Olson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
tijn
Registered User


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 273
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigurd Volsung wrote:
I should mention that I will most likely no longer voice attacks on other faiths.

For the record, you needn't hold back on my account.
For example, your view on (the Christian) God is rather new to me (and it's not my view) but it's your prerogative to write this and mine to read it and weigh it.
Anyway if were going to be mostly writing about Brisbane's contemporaries' views you'd no doubt have chosen a different title. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sigurd Volsung
Registered User


Joined: 21 Feb 2004
Posts: 3216
Location: The Twin Cities

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping to keep some of the real world going in The Mystic Wolf series so that despite it being fantasy I have something to work with that is grounded in reality. In fact the location of the Mystic Wolf itself is where a bar currently sits which is just a block from the house I grew up in and will be moving back into sometime next year. At some point in the future you will almost assuredly see mention of both pro-baseball teams in the Twin Cities, the American League Minnesota Twins and the Independent League Saint Paul Saints, as baseball is hugely important to me. I will possibly even use a current season schedule to work around. And I can guarantee you that at least a few Gods are going to show up to the bar wearing team jerseys or at least ball caps.

From what I have read of other furry writers, which unfortunately is way to often Sabrina fanfic, very few authors make mention of what's going on in the world. While I understand that on one level, I believe that by using real events it gives people a bit of a snap shot with which to place the story in a formal time line where the movement in days doesn't take place over weeks or months. Yes with She of the Honey Voice there is a drawn out pace of it taking a couple months to move through a week, but when I move onto the next story the time line will jump along as well.

I hope to have this story done in a couple of months and if all goes to plan the next story will start up in the middle of February. If that doesn't work out as planned I may in fact be writing two story lines, or at least posting two, simultaneously, as I really want the next story to start around Valentines Day (yes it will be another sort of love story, one even more convoluted then the current one is going to start getting in the very near future)

Anyways Chapter three is finished but I won't have Mike post it until the 20th. Chapter four is currently well in the works and I hope to have it done soon but for the time being I will only be posting every other weekend so I don't get to the point where I let myself get behind in updates. One story I promised regular updates and when I didn't meet up with people expectations I had a few individuals breathing down my neck until the next chapter was completed. In order to keep that from happening I'm keeping the new chapters short since I have to split my time up between work, family, and friends, though not in that order.

_________________
Bad moods are like hangovers, they eventually go away. - A. Sigurd Olson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
tijn
Registered User


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 273
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know gods were into baseball. Then again, chances of them being into (ice)hockey/curling/track&field/football (yeah yeah, 'soccer') or whatever are as likely. Very Happy

A few thoughts:
I think that linking a story to current events will make it date _very_ fast and possibly make it impossible to enjoy for someone in as short a time as five years. Also, things that seem very natural to you will not seem so to (for example) me because of the differences in culture (hence the note on sports Wink ). And here I am still comparing one 'western' culture to another.

Apart from the cultural anthropology or ethnology, the life-time of a story is limited anyway. For example, our lives are a little different with Internet, mobile phones and GPS compared to 1996 when EWS started his Sabrina comic. So I guess it doesn't matter that way.

Which doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in your view on the world (through the story).
So, count me in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Frazikar
Registered User


Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 1013
Location: North Coast, USA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for 'dating' a story, that would depend on the opponent [not so much if it's a division foe, as they meet several times a year (even if the home team IS known)], non-division foes might date things a little more but ... (interleague is every three years, so are they talking current or previous performances). Comparing team preformaces have a wider time frame. Same for the Vikings or Wild or (hmm, can't think of the NHL team atm)...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group