Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time for a new PC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scifer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Time for a new PC Reply with quote

Finally got my pay-cheque and I've decided to spend £500 to £600 of it on a new desktop PC.

Seeing as my last computer purchase was nothing short of a disaster smothered with failpaste, I'm doing my research this time. If I'd seen the reviews about the Rock Pegasus 710 laptop, or known that Rock's tech support has the organisational skill of a headless chicken, I wouldn't have spent over £800 on it for a year-and-a-bit's operational service. Confused

I'm not afraid to admit when something is technologically beyond me. Working out the best PC I can get for up to £600 is one of them. I am aware of what all the specs and figures mean, but upon reading the reviews for some of these PCs (that I thought looked good, at first), it seems that not all the processors, chipsets and graphics cards deliver the goods for the amount of money they're worth -

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/advent-cbe1401-04153059-pdt.html
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/acer-aspire-x3810-refurbished-mini-pc-04590814-pdt.html

At the moment, this chap looks like the best value for money, but only because I can't find any negative reviews of it -

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/advent-centurion-cpd1301-04153050-pdt.html

This one looks quite good too, but it looks like it needs a dedicated PCI video card, from the comments added below -

http://www.bestcovery.com/hp-hewlett-packard-compaq-presario-cq5210f-mini-tower-desktop?whybest=1&best=47953

Ash and I are planning to spend a weekend building a PC worthy of Eisenguard, but the concept of a store-purchase warranty is also very tempting. I am extremely paranoid about my technology exploding in my face ... now, thanks to Stone Computers. >.>

Anyway, it would be nice to have a template for us to follow, when it comes to motherboards, processors, graphics cards, etc. I've already got a dual-screen monitor setup, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc, so no need to worry about those - I'm just interested in the desktop unit itself.

Just remember, my budget is anything up to £600 and I'm looking for something I can work and play on. Any suggestions? Smile

-=Sci

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
Kit Fox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should still build it yourself. Almost all hardware vendors offer some kind of warrenty for the parts you get from them.
Granted you'll have to do the replacing yourself if something fails, at least you are getting a machine custom to your needs.

EXan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for the advent. The stats look good and a dedicated graph-board is always preferable.

But try to find out some of the stats of the motherboard. See if it has a good chip-set. (NVIDIA or ASUS) But those are personal preferences. So that if something blows up after the warranty is gone you can replace and upgrade some stuff.
It has DDR2 which is getting old and it says 4G max. the DDR2 isn't really a issue but it is being replaced with DDR3 and up. As for 4G don't know if they mean that all the slots are already full or that 4 really is the max of the board.

Hope this helps.

Or what kit just posted.... Razz

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never liked HPs consumer-oriented PCs...

Sure, the HP Compaq dc7900 Small Form Factor' I use at the office has a pretty shabby graphics card, but that was disabled a while ago, when I stuffed a dual-output card into it.
What 'business-oriented' PCs offer is robustness and better support.
(Mostly HP tech support is pretty good, but I feel they take you a bit more seriously if you have a more 'serious' PC)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else to keep in mind HP tech support (Here in the states anyway) is farmed out to India so be prepared to say "What?" a lot.

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I work tech support for MSI we're still in the states

Kit Fox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All foreign tech support centers have an american supervisor. Just ask for him/her right off the bat.
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um no, I tried that once all I got was some Hindu fella named "BOB" Rolling Eyes

Kit Fox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha... I never had a problem with it. I'm the guy they wish would never call Smile
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean someone who knows a thing or two about computers and knows when they are feed you a pile of B.S.?

Hawke

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say build it yourself...buy the parts from Newegg. It is way cheaper than going through an OEM retailer such as HP. Im rebuilding my PC for around $1200, but if I got the same PC all put together from a retailer I would be paying somewhere around $4500 and up. I really suggest building yourself.

"^HuK'D aWN FoNYCs WuRKD 4 MEEEEEE!!!!"
Kit Fox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
You mean someone who knows a thing or two about computers and knows when they are feed you a pile of B.S.?

Don't forget "and also knows how to play dumb so he can get them to lie to you"... heh, I'm a real dick when it comes to calling customer service for anything, but you have to be sometimes.

tijn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawke wrote:
I would say build it yourself...buy the parts from Newegg. It is way cheaper than going through an OEM retailer such as HP. Im rebuilding my PC for around $1200, but if I got the same PC all put together from a retailer I would be paying somewhere around $4500 and up. I really suggest building yourself.

$4500 ! What was that? A Corei7 extreme edition according to HP? Wink

Please allow me to add my thoughts...
Scifer, you have to state what you want with the thing. Will you mind noise? How important is gaming?
Latest games will cost you a heavy power supply and graphics cards of EUR400. Instead, consider what I find in a magazine (which I trust a lot), suggestions along the lines of (including 'current' pricing):

- EUR93 MSI H55M-ED55 motherboard
- EUR168 Core i5-750 [at the moment Intel is best speed for buck]

either:
- EUR60 Gfx: R5450 based (MSI R540-MD1GH, middle DirectX 10, BD support)
or:
- EUR153 R5770 based (previous generation)

- EUR71 Samsung HD103SDJ 1T disk
- EUR103 2x2GB PC3-10600 mem
- EUR20 Liteon iHAS124 (or latest)
- EUR50 tower
- EUR62 Power Supply 'Enermax PRO82' 385W
- EUR21 CPU cooler Scythe Samurai ZZ
- EUR9 Antivibrationframe for HDD 5,25"
- EUR22 cardreader

Maybe you will need to get a windows7 system builder 64bit license:EUR75
(Ubuntu does a good job too)

All in all, cheaper graphics = 550 pounds, expensive graphics = 633 pounds

Note that for 'todays' 3D games you'd need the 5770-class chips (which are quite low noise in the reference design). At the moment, the competing Nvidia chips are a bad choice (also according to benchmarks, more so when power is taken into account)

This either adds more confusion or helps to point in a direction.
Reason I'm in favor of this is that there's quite a lot of background to the choices. Most importantly, the intel chipsets from this moment (H55) are good. With a Cori3-530 you need no graphics card but I do not think your monitors would be supported.
The gain from Corei3-530 to Corei5-750 (note the numbers behind those things! There are serious differences which take study) is some 35%. For example a corei5-650 costs 60% more and gives 10% increase.
Again, at the moment, the offers from AMD (Phenom) compared to intel (core ix) are doing less calc for more power.

Any opinions on the prices I mention? I'm all ears for what one would pay in different parts of the world!
Hawke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tijn wrote:

$4500 ! What was that? A Corei7 extreme edition according to HP? Wink

Naw, AMD Phenom X6 Black edition with Black edition RAM (Haven't decided which kind yet)

My GTS 250, AZZA Solano Case, and the GIGABYTE GA-890FXA motherboard.

If it was going i7 an retailer would probably charge over $4500
Some of those i7's are over $1500 just for the CPU, the mainboards can be over $350, amd the RAM sometimes up to $250.
This is why I go AMD, still awesome power for fractions of the price of Intel.

I was exaggerating a little with the 4500 price tag, but most retailers I have had experience with have not hesitated to charge 250% the cost of home built systems.

My numbers may not be 100% accurate, but regardless, you can save a lot by doing it yourself.

**Please note all my prices and estimates are in US dollar.

"^HuK'D aWN FoNYCs WuRKD 4 MEEEEEE!!!!"

Last edited by Hawke on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syrius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gateway does all their tech support here in the USA, at least during the day. At the risk of sounding like a shill, I am very happy with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: