Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midshipman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobi3B

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now he is on the academie he will make friends and enemies will be interresting to watch him grow up

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
kcmack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the hardest thing David is going to have to do at the academy is to try and please the unpleasable. The captain had said give it a week and the problem should be solved. Sounds about right for someone to cut him some new orders. Maybe commanding a nice polar weather station or something.
tobi3B

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don´t know but that scene with the captain reminds me a lot of Men of Honor. The Sergeant looks like a rationality person.
I like it ^^

Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some allow to let actions speak louder than words, others prefer words to actions....
Rabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always. thank you all for taking the time to read my stuffs!

For what it's worth, I completed the rough draft of "Midshipman" (which is what you're reading-- any published version would require extensive editing) last night. I plan to either begin the next section, "Lieutenant", in a few days and then take a long vacation partway through, or else take a vacation up front and do some editing on another novel I've sold elsewhere. I'm torn because I'm eager to write what's coming next, yet I also _do_ have other obligations and recognize I'm overdue for a break and getting stale. Either way, though, unless something truly devastating happens in my life there'll be another section coming reasonably soon-- almost certainly long before Mike runs out of back-sections to post.

Again, I'm very grateful for the support, and I hope you enjoy what's left!
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Commamdant discovers the truth behind 'consent of the led' part of governing....(and having the King miffed at ya ain't good for advancement either)
kcmack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now will come the true battle. The Commandant tried to go for a quick grind him into the dust approach and now is getting a pretty big smack for it.

Anyone want to take bets on who will be blamed for things if something goes wrong and they can't get anyone to take the blame. David will have to be very careful now and watch what he does and who he is with. I can easily see the Commandant havine other students do things to discredit David. But we will have to wait and see.

tobi3B

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The commander have to say sorry in public to David Ouch.
that gives him at least one enemy.

kcmack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sure, let the captain take the easy way out. I got the sentance from the Shawshank Redemption in my head after reading this:

"I'd like to think that the last thing that went through his head, other than that bullet, was to wonder how the hell Andy Dufresne ever got the best of him."

Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see, dancing, if he could do it on the balls of his feet, then his 'footprint' wouldn't be as large (but more energy and stamina would be needed to do so)...

As for the upcoming Imperial meet...
tobi3B

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh teachers who let you think out of the box
I love them
and I looking forward to the meeting with the Imperial

kcmack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope that everything goes well for them on thie trip of thiers. Having David along could really help them with passing on the information they need. Any theories as to how they will do so? I am almost thinking it could be something as simple as steal the stupid rabbits things as a mean trick type thing.
Rabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who's still reading! =:)

For what it's worth, I finished up my huge editing job this morning and am about ready to begin on the next section of this piece, "Lieutenant". To prepare for this, I re-read "Midshipman" and...

...detected an error. It was my intent to refer to David and his fellows at the Academy as "Cadets" instead of "Midshipmen", but I'm old and senile enough that somehow I forgot. This is because in keeping with the overall theme of the work, I'm (mostly) following the rank structure used in Nelson's navy, which means a midshipman is the lowest-ranking line-of-command officer. (In that navy, the ranks "ensign" and "lieutenant j.g." didn't exist.) Even there I'm fudging a little, however, because in those days a midshipman was a warranted, not a commissioned, officer. However, I'm willing to bet that so few will call me on that one that I can get away with it. And if they do, I'll just say this navy is different in that detail. =;)

In any event...

Please forgive me for calling my cadets midshipmen; in the end of this tale David and friends will be _commissioned_ midshipmen, and that's the way it should all read. If I should ever sell this thing, I'll go back and make the appropriate corrections at that time.

Again, thanks for reading, and thanks for your patience! =:3
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wweeellll, it's (technically) your navy to set the way ya want (including the rank sysem)...

[Insert Agent Bunny joke here]
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, nice way to cheat at chess without cheating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: