Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Own a cell phone? OH, PHRACK!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syrius

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Own a cell phone? OH, PHRACK! Reply with quote

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20002986-245.html

I wonder if it works with land lines too. If it doesn't, glad I don't own a cell phone.

Cookie

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We now have the technology to completely abolish freedom and privacy.

Are people convinced of the truth yet? Or is this still a "free" country?

-_-

AKA Mogthemoogle
Wulfie_Vulphyre

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedom is an illusion anymore Mog. It's all about money, and making yourself "look good" and that's it. Now granted I have nothing to hide, It's still a little disturbing to know that they can tell if I'm at home or anywhere else.
mwalimu

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing new here. If anything this was a more serious problem in the early days of cellphone service before the cell providers discovered some of the more obvious privacy loopholes that have long since been closed.

Even some 15-20 years ago, when cellphones were rare but cordless phones were common, there were stories of people wandering around a neighborhood with a cordless phone and checking it frequently for a dialtone in order to steal long-distance service from some random home.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cookie

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wulfie_Vulphyre wrote:
Freedom is an illusion anymore Mog. It's all about money, and making yourself "look good" and that's it.

My point exactly. I'm insulting the people who still cling to the illusion. Wink

AKA Mogthemoogle
PrincessB

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, is very easy to track nearly anyone, anywhere, anytime. And more options to track are often being made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Syrius

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Mike. What was that? I couldn't hear anything from inside my Faraday cage. Anxious
Hawke

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF necessary you can spring for one of these to stop the Credit card problem....

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/8cdd/

"^HuK'D aWN FoNYCs WuRKD 4 MEEEEEE!!!!"
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice thing about RFID-blocking wallets is that you usually just have to open it to allow the card to be read. you don't have to take the card out of the pocket it's in. This means it's still shielded from every other direction.

That said, I would never use a RFID-enabled credit-card...
(It's bad enough that my pasport has some kind of crap in it)

Thinkgeek has a scenario of someone nicking your office cardkey this way.
Except that these cards also has an associated PIN-code, and that can't be lifted that way. (It's stored in the security-system, not the card.)
Any place that uses the cars without a PIN-code outside of normal opening hours should probably just return the whole setup as they're to darn dumb to use it properly.
(Many systems also have functions to record video of anyone swiping a card, so it's possible to se who used which card)

Incidentally, the local ferries have new 'pre-paid' rebate cards which also uses RFID of some sort. And wouldn't you know it, they use the same frequency as the cards for my office. Which means that we can sometimes see people frantically waving their wallet in front of the sensor by the front doors...
(They're used to doing that instead of taking the card out of the wallet and holding it up. Now they have two cards and the system reads garbage and won't let them in.)

I wonder how long before you can buy 'RFID scanner' detectors, which will warn you that you're being targeted by a RFID-frequency transmission?

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be legal in europe, but it's not in US. There are very specific laws about electronically accessing data without proper authorization. Spoofing your origin is no different than hacking someone's username and password. If you don't think THAT is a crime, then I'll be glad to point you to a few very public convictions of people who hacked the mail/facebook accounts of some very big people!

Of course, if you have ANY shred of common sense, you'd be like me and have an access code on your voicemail that ignores where the call comes from. (Sprint gives you that option)

Cheers!

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hawke

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
The nice thing about RFID-blocking wallets is that you usually just have to open it to allow the card to be read. you don't have to take the card out of the pocket it's in. This means it's still shielded from every other direction.

That said, I would never use a RFID-enabled credit-card...
(It's bad enough that my pasport has some kind of crap in it)

Thinkgeek has a scenario of someone nicking your office cardkey this way.
Except that these cards also has an associated PIN-code, and that can't be lifted that way. (It's stored in the security-system, not the card.)
Any place that uses the cars without a PIN-code outside of normal opening hours should probably just return the whole setup as they're to darn dumb to use it properly.
(Many systems also have functions to record video of anyone swiping a card, so it's possible to se who used which card)

Incidentally, the local ferries have new 'pre-paid' rebate cards which also uses RFID of some sort. And wouldn't you know it, they use the same frequency as the cards for my office. Which means that we can sometimes see people frantically waving their wallet in front of the sensor by the front doors...
(They're used to doing that instead of taking the card out of the wallet and holding it up. Now they have two cards and the system reads garbage and won't let them in.)

I wonder how long before you can buy 'RFID scanner' detectors, which will warn you that you're being targeted by a RFID-frequency transmission?

Haha, my school uses RFID access cards with no associated PIN, just swipe and go there.

"^HuK'D aWN FoNYCs WuRKD 4 MEEEEEE!!!!"
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawke wrote:

Haha, my school uses RFID access cards with no associated PIN, just swipe and go there.

Your school either have incompetent administrators, or they couldn't aord a real system, and got keylocks that opens no matter which card is swiped...

Or they lock it down properly when no one is supposed to be there...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: