Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When Transitions IV is completed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: When Transitions IV is completed Reply with quote

When all is said and done, and I've completed Transitions IV, I'm wondering where to go next. It feels like I've told the stories I set out to tell about that cast of characters, and I'm not sure what direction to go in next. I have a follow-up to Defiance coming, but Aslaug's stories have a limited readership at best.

So I'm wondering what I should do now. I'm pondering putting the furry aspect aside for a while and focus on human stories for a bit. I don't know to be honest. I'm willing to listen to suggestions, like I've done in the past.

I might even go with classic fantasy for a bit. Y'know, elves and dwarves and the likes. I thought up a universe a long, long time ago I might go back to one day, where the humans were the universal badguys, as they were systematically exterminating the "fantasy races" out of a mixture of xenophobia, greed and the fact that humans bred faster and wanted the fantasy equivalent of lebensraum.

But fantasy stories also have a very limited readership. So what to do, what to do?

While I can't promise I'll follow those suggestions, I get a lot of inspiration from that sort of thing, believe it or not ... so if anyone has an idea for genre, mood, characters ... anything at all, please don't hold back. I'd love to see what you can think up and what you might toss my way if anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I know you probably don't want or need to revisit ancient Rome, you are after all an Historian, Filly. Why not find another historical setting or event that calls out for a story?

Just a suggestion?

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you've tried slice of life, fantasy(of a sort.), thrillers...

How good are you at Sci-fi?

Other than that; unless you plan to sell your stories, write what YOU like and don't worry about readers.

It matters not how many reads your books, but how many of those who read your books that likes them.
Or to put it another way; Tolstoy is considered one of the 'Great' writers...
He put me to sleep...
Robert Jordan's Weel of Time series?
The boredom goes round and round... and round again...
Henrik Ibsen?
With a few exceptions... BOOOOORING!
Holberg... Okay... once...
(Oh, and he was Norwegian! Darn, thieving Danes... Wink

Don't ask me how many times I've re-read Transitions, or T2...
(They're both on my Kindle... )

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my next story after "End Game" will be a half-furry, half-human story, post apocalyptic tome. No current characters will be in it.

That's all I'm saying. Cool

. . . Besides the fact that "Defiance" outshined "End Game" all the way.

"Bravo! Encore!! Bravo!!"

*bows to the filly, then applauds loudly*

Kel

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
Well, you've tried slice of life, fantasy(of a sort.), thrillers...

How good are you at Sci-fi?

Hopefully bloody good. I'm writing a Sci-fi story (slowly but surely) for possible publication. It's got the working title "Nachter", but that may change. The more I think about it, the more hooked I am on the idea of writing something involving human beings, and not furries.

Dunno how popular that'd be around here, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The BioCobra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this all depends on how much of it you want to be yours, Filly.

One suggestion I have is this: Since you have an interest in tabletop war gaming, you could do something based around that. Me and my step-dad are doing a script for an animated film we are making, and it's about a war game called 'Secrets of the Third Reich' (No prizes for guessing what it's about...)

It's got a quality to it that I think you would like, even if it is alternate history. It also has a massive weirdness to it. It has, and I'm not joking here; werewolves, vampires, demons, zombies, mecha suits, magic, and even aliens. It's got that level of grit mixed with things all too familiar about the real WWII.

Alternatively, I'd agree with anthony and suggest something sci-fi. I think that you'd stay with your methods of storytelling through it and give it that fresh feel you give a lot of your works.

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of [fur]kind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." — Dave Barry
Frazikar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, what to say, what to say, what to say...

Ahhh, from the Frizz

Quote:
Take chances, make messes....

Experiment a bit!
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:

Hopefully bloody good. I'm writing a Sci-fi story (slowly but surely) for possible publication. It's got the working title "Nachter", but that may change. The more I think about it, the more hooked I am on the idea of writing something involving human beings, and not furries.

Dunno how popular that'd be around here, though.

I'll buy it...

What the characters look like isn't as important as thestory and how it's told.
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time could have been reduced to half, without losing anything. There would even be place left over for allthe stuff he 'let happen' between books. (My major gripe with that series)
Doris Lessing(Whoforone reason or another got a Nobelinlitterature) wrote what I consider THE most boring and depressive sci-fi ever; Canopus in Argos Archives...

You on the other hand write concisely, with humour and the odd surprise tucked in here and there.
You also give your characters more than two dimensions, which is a rare treat for us readers.

Maybe you can't teach spacecraft to sing, or take dragons
between, outwit a Berserker, fight with Honor against numerically superiorenemies, or dive into the Sun, but I bet you can do something just as impressive if you want.

So, until you start writing 'hospital romance', this is one reader you won't get rid of...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ... hospital romance in space ... now THERE is a genre ...

WHICH I'LL NEVER DELVE INTO!
tobi3B

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many things you could write. Something historical (many untouched periods (Wikings Egypts China/Japan)
Or as many suggests scifi with humans or furs your choice
Or you could write about Kalen and Vishalya raising their kids in england.
In the end write what you like and enjoy
my two cents

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hospital Romance?

Is that like falling in love with your patient's apendix?

Me, I like mixed up stuff. Like SF where the furries are the aliens (or where furries are the "normal" characters and the humans are the aliens).

Most important, I think you need to write what interests you.
If you aren't "into" the story/setting/characters but only write this particular story to please your readers (or publisher), then the story and characters will ultimately feel "flat" and forced.

That's probably what is the problem with >90% of all sequels out there. The author had a good idea and wrote a great book. When it became a success, he (or his publisher) wanted to cash in on the name, so the author wrote more of the same, when he had really moved on to something else.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: