Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Defiance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I just wish I could've celebrated it without being this ill. Eww ... but I hope to be back to full strength sometime next week. Anyway, I hope the two chapters were to everyone's liking. I'm not one to break with tradition, after all, and there's always an extra posting on my second birthday (for which I am much obliged to Bastion, incidentally) Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a good representation of how I imagine Varghöss looking. Give full credit to the artist, I -really- like this picture. Imagine that beasty, standing fully as tall as a light warhorse horse, and you'll be just about there. Varghöss is one -big- puppy!

http://arnoldwurzel.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/direwolf.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frazikar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

end of CH 10 - 'Say it ain't so, Joe!'
bastion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 11 (which is awesomely awesome) is now up...

My groovy death metal band, Prevail
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
Benleopard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muhahahaha... The One-eyed one strikes... Muhahahahaha... your very good at being evil Aslaug. About time that their cornerstone crumbles under the weight of nothingness.

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the character Vargoss. What a great companion to our favorite Valkyrie. And yes, it IS his kill, fair and square.

Hope he doesn't have a taste for tigers.

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Varghöss" is actually an old norse name. The word "varg" means wolf ... still does in Swedish to this day ... and "höss" is a shade of gray. So the name literally means "Gray Wolf".
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never read a clearer exposé of some of the inconsistencies in dogma. Never. You have my unabashed admiration.

*bows deeply to the mistress of prose*

You provide me a goal to strive for in my own writing. It is unattainable, but none-the-less it is a goal.

Varghöss is magnificent.

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question on the subject of Dogma and Perfection:

As I understand it, Dogma (and the "theory" of God's Perfection) states that once God (or his duely authorized representation, the pope) has made a declaration, it is impossible to retract or modify that declaration.

But what about the opposite? What I mean is that by not making a certain statement, you also make a statement. If you say "Thou shalt not kill!", then you say that it's not ok to kill. If you don't say it, then you say that it is ok to kill, or that it is a matter of individual conscience.

Or, to put it another way, if the half-full glass is Perfect (as in absolute perfection, not in "pretty darn good"), then it's obviously not ok to remove any water, since that would make it less perfect. But at the same time, it would also not be ok to put in any more water, since that would remove some of the air from the glass.

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting question, actually, Nameless.

I don't honestly know the answer, because I don't think there is a complete and definite one. Inferred meaning is rife in Christianity, as it is in most religions.

"When God said so-and-so to the you-know-whats, he clearly meant this-and-that!"

But God never actually said it. It's inferred. It's taken to be that way. That's what parabels are all about, I guess. Particularly with Christianity and Islam, the respective holy books are meant to provide answers to everything. If read enough times, the Bible or Khoran should provide all the answers a believer will ever need. That is the idea anyway. This means that you must be able to find all your answers to modern life in a text written thousands of years ago and that obviously necessitates inferred meaning. The Jewish torah is different, seeing that there is no jewish priesthood (nor has there been one since the destruction of the last incarnation of the Temple), but only a group of "teachers" (which is what Rabbi means if I remember correctly), who interpret the Torah in what is known as the Talmud. But as they have no direct connection to God ... because they are not priests ... they have to base their religon on scholarly research of the books of the Torah, rather than on direct, divine inspiration.

I may have remembered some of this wrong, and if someone can correct me, feel free to do so. But inferred meaning is definitely a major issue in Christianity and in Islam.
Frazikar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, one question on Torvald, when did his mission end (as he IS a guest, presumably for his mission)?
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazikar wrote:
Hmmm, one question on Torvald, when did his mission end (as he IS a guest, presumably for his mission)?

If I might chime in-

Torvald and Victoria's last official mission was presumed to have ended when they took down Vincent Lyle James in that sporting goods store in Modesto, on a parallel world.

In Chapter 8 of "End Game", the Immortal Couple are told they're on the inactive roster but their mission assistant Denise Berger will not come right out and say that they have been abandoned. There is something afoot, though.

In fact, the Abrahamic God hasn't come right out and said, "Torvald, get the h*ll off my planet and take your backsliding mate with you."

Aren't cliffhangers fun?

Kel

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I didn't really expect a definite answer. But the more I think about it, the more lucridious the whole dogma and "perfection" idea becomes.

On the subject of the Bible providing all the answers... Do you read the comic Sinfest? http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3587

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muahahah!! Vindication!

I've always known vikings used throwing axes. It's a weapon which lends itself extremely well to being thrown, provided one knows how, and no throwing axe-type is more famous than the Francisca. However, the name "franscisca" relates that specific weapon to the people known as the Franks ... the founders of what is now France. Yes ... despite the symbol of that country being a crowing rooster, the national weapon of France is ... an axe!

I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere, but I'm not going to look for it right now.

Last weekend, almost recovered from my pneumonia, I defied all good sense and went to the viking market at Lindholm. I had to, dammit ... I had run out of smoked salt altogether!

Heathen dope!

Norse Cocaine!

It goes by many names, but trust me, proper smoked salt is addictive. Anyway, I had to get new supplies, so, taking Valaina from this forum along with me (she was visiting for the weekend, and I am pretty sure her company helped me recover more swiftly than I would otherwise have), I went to the market.

I got lots of nice things there. A new ring and a new necklace with the head of a proper battleaxe as the pendant. I'll have to take a photo of it at some point and post it. It's -goooorgeous-. And mead.

And salt. Lots and lots of delicious smoked salt ...

*slurp*

Oh, but back to the matter of axes. There were two stalls of particular interest. One was at the reenactor's enclosure. I suddenly spotted something!!

They had longaxes!!!

Fading pneumonia bedamned, I had to get my grimy hands on one of those things if only for a few minutes. Fortunately, one of the women there saw the look on my face and let me grab one and take it out in the open to do a few practice-swings with it.

According to Valaina, she and the lady minding the axes agreed ... as I was walking out there, clutching the axe in my hands ... that neither of them would "want to see THAT coming at us in anger!"

Apparently, I had a very determined look on my face. But I got to swing a longaxe. And it just felt so damned right, too!!

As we walked on, we came upon another stall where a young couple were selling weapons. They were outrageously expensive (they typically are at those markets) but I saw both an interesting spear-tip (a ranseur ... a late medieval type, and identical to the one someone tried to trick me with at the museum in Randers if you recall that story), and more importantly, a throwing axe.

"Oh, a Franscisca," I immediately said. There was no mistaking the distinctive shape of the axe-head.

"Absolutely. The original of that particular one was found near Hedeby," the man said, and I nearly punched the air in triumph.

Hedeby was the largest viking trading city in the south of Jutland at the time.

Finally, proof that Aslaug's equipment is authentic.

Bwahahahah ... nerdy me. But there you go. I had a great day of axes!
tijn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoked salt? ... Smoked? ... Salt?

:ducks for sudden possible flying axes: Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: