Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

possibility of an engineered furry race?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you do it?
yes
75%
 75%  [ 12 ]
no way!
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

RCraccoon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: possibility of an engineered furry race? Reply with quote

Today I was in my biology class and we were talking about genitcs and how it was possible to alter someones genes. apparently though it can only be done before the sperm meets the egg because after that the cells begin to multiply exponentialy. I asked my teacher whether or not you can mix them with animal genes to make a half animal half human hybrid and apparently you can. However although research in this feild is only just beginning to grow I had a theory. if you were to create a controlled virus that attacks certain genes and replace them with new ones as an infection that would cause, overall body hair to grow and bone growth for a snout and tail then that would allow for furries to become a thing of reality, which is entirely possible. As my teacher pointed out, scientists are already attempting similair test using the common flu virus. Only problem is ethics commitees are against such procedures. But whats the problem with it? Now I can understand the immorality of doing this to and unborn fetus but for a legal adult? It would be no different than going to get a tattoo or a peircing. if God didnt want us to be able do do this then why would he have given us brains to accomplish such tasks? Who are we to deny ourselves happiness to change who we are to fit our own needs?

Now I also understand the implications of this. If this technology were to get into the wrong hands then they could use it to create super soldiers and other biological weapons. But think of the pros, we could use it to give amputees regenerative capabilties so they can regrow limbs, we could enable DNA to repair its self for greater longetivity, we could raise cattle the size of houses, vegetables the size of cars and end world hunger, we could fix genetic diseases like down syndrome or autism, the constructive possibilties are endles. As are the deconstructive. The door to this field of science is barely open but in the right hand we could work miracles.

But back to furries, with this technology the thought of a furry race is entirely possible within our life time. 30 to 40 years from now you could find yourself in a cafe talking to a raccoon, or going on a date with a cat. It will be only a matter of time until ethics comitees finally crack under an ever growing demand for the alowment of such technological advancements. Its only a matter of time folks until we get there and I hope I will be alive to see it.

your thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It overall sounds great in theory. But their might be a few key factors at play here beyond oneself comprehension. If it is overall possible to do miraculous things beyond comprehension. But over all I see the points being that this decision is life altering and must be taken very seriously for it may or may not what you want in the end. Second, the creation of a new hybrid species genome will become subjugated and persecuted (may even result into many deaths of innocent individuals) by some over zealous individuals that will deam the new Furries race a sub-species and have no rights of life, thus will lead to a amendment to all constitutional and biblical rights that all intelligent life forms have any rights to live (this may cause a lot of uproar in everyone and some heads will roll). Their are a lot more things at stake here and this is on the good outcome of things. Overall I don't know if I can go with any such procedure yet. It is a lot to really think about.

Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the likelihood of such technological and scientific revolutions in our time is slim to none.

As long as we are controlled by the religious zealotry of those in power (and the church IS in power) we will never advance so far in such a short time. I'll leave it at that since it could lead into a pretty long winded opinion on religion vs. faith vs. civilization (Religion and faith are very different).

Much like the oil companies standing in the way of water fueled vehicles, it will take several decades to jump the hurdle of easily frightened nay-sayers.

People in large groups are extremely superstitious. And even with the advances we as humans have made in the last five hundred years, a large portion of blind superstition still exists in droves among us. Progress has to push extra hard constantly.

EDIT: This counts for more than just genetically altered adults. Anything that could come of it will be railed against (Even medical breakthroughs). And those who railed against it, will make life miserable for those who undergo any genetic procedures.

AKA Mogthemoogle
Teric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, there is a limitation here. Your bones grow according to your genetic code until they are fully formed (i.e. some time during early adulthood). At that point, your bones more or less 'solidify' and are no longer subject to any growth. This is why adults who are given 'growth hormone' do not grow but instead end up developing deformities. Normal bone repair (i.e. healing of broken bone) still occurs, but the form and size of the bones will not change without literally breaking and re-setting the bone surgically.

Therefore, unless there were a way to reverse bone 'adulthood', as it were, such a transformation would be impossible in an adult.

On the other paw, as you mentioned in the original post, administering this transformation to a child or a minor that is still within their 'growth' period would be unethical.

Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teric wrote:
Unfortunately, there is a limitation here. Your bones grow according to your genetic code until they are fully formed (i.e. some time during early adulthood). At that point, your bones more or less 'solidify' and are no longer subject to any growth. This is why adults who are given 'growth hormone' do not grow but instead end up developing deformities. Normal bone repair (i.e. healing of broken bone) still occurs, but the form and size of the bones will not change without literally breaking and re-setting the bone surgically.

I hadn't thought of it, but Teric is correct.

Now, the same sort of technology could very well be put to use as medical science. To help mend that which we already posses.

AKA Mogthemoogle
Syrius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have that technology and science used to cure baldness, hemophilia, color blindness and the like. Tails and muzzles can wait. (Which is pretty much what Mog just said)
Wulfie_Vulphyre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to agree with Syrius in this case. As much as it would be Totally cool to have a Real tail, it would be much better use of such a technology to better medicine. I'd love to see a child who was born blind genetically "corrected" so that his sight might develop to that of a normal level. Or a child with autism or down syndrome be cured. Essentially a tech of this level could even cure diabetes, cancer, and pretty much anything else. You could even generate new organs, or "rebuild" the structures of damaged organs.

I Do see the problem where anything like this would be slandered and those who would receive this treatment being blasted by churches. Some people just don't really know what Tolerance is for something new or different. Even if said people are taught to be kind to all creations. I'll cut it off there as I wouldn't want to turn this thread elsewhere.

Summary, Yes it would be a cool idea if it did become possible, Problem is it could come at a Very great cost to your well-being.

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um why can't we have both? if we do one we can do the other yes?

Syrius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, true that. However, medical therapy would take priority over vanity enhancements, don't you think?
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why there would be an issue, as with reconstructive surgery there are doctors who specialize in purely medical procedures like reconstructing a crash victims face, and those that do purely cosmetic procedures like a tummy tuck or a boob job.

Syrius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly wouldn't like a furry tail on my human derriere. Razz

I meant to say that research for creating healthy livers, retinas, pancreas-es/pancreasi or lungs would take priority over making compatible tails, whiskers or ears. Once the science is available and approved, yes, it's a matter of affordability.

Wulfie_Vulphyre

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! If I could afford it, and the tech was available I would at least like a big fluffy tail on my arse end. Aaaand maybe some fuzzy ears too. Tho I'd still want to see the medical portion advance first, Either way the point is I'd take a halfer on it.
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a tail and retractable claws Twisted Evil

[Crash]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are going to be those who simply won't be able to use the key technologies behind both regenerating limbs and growing fuzzy ears for purely life-saving purposes, such as plastic surgeons. When these technologies (the gene changing virus or whatever) are in the process of being developed, what will be developed is a means to change human genes, although the goal in mind may well be medical life-saving wonders.
So point is, there's no using in worrying about where resources will go. When a tech is researched, it's applications are seperate discoveries.

On to the ethical issues: there are none. The problem lies elsewhere. This type of biogenetics may be a year away, but you'll notice that, the US at least, is also fully capable of making this country run on all nuclear fuel and developing cars that cheaply run on electricity. I'm sure you get my point.

And finally, my choice: I choose 'No'. I'm not against getting genetic alterations done to myself or to others, but I respect the combination of pure luck and hard work my parents put into developing this healthy body of mine enough not to want to change it purely out of want. Moreover, I'm furry because I'd like to meet furries, not because I myself necessarily want to become one, as interesting as the experience would be.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that at the moment the most 'we' can do with genetic engineering where humans are concerned is look into the embryo's DNA.
It's not too difficult nowadays: once the cells of the embryo have divided (two cells), separate one off (considered a crime in numerous countries) and 'destroy' it to inspect the DNA. Then it's simple to see which of a series of ailements are in there. Currently things like 'blue eyes and blonde hair' are not known of course.
(I imagine that would be very sought after by inhabitants of e.g. India Wink

Then, finally, the embryos are planted into a good womb and we cross fingers.

To change DNA is a whole different matter. At the moment that still requires bacterial DNA to get it into a working cell. (Man can't make cells that live, last tie I checked). Keep in mind that animal DNA and human DNA (take that raccoon) are very, very similar. Even with the human-genome-project we still lack knowledge how to read the huge 'junk' DNA part that codes for most interesting traits. The DNA is lots and lots of genes and I wager most traits are combinations that determine what we are. E.g.: you want a tail? probably offer up a large amount of your thinking space (frontal cortex) as well.

All attempts to use retro-virusses as DNA-changers did not work. Period. Medical science tried several times without succes. The theory seems sound, and incomplete!

Interesting topic Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: