Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Furry denial runs rampant in artists
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Furry denial runs rampant in artists Reply with quote

Have you ever noticed that some of the biggest names in furry art deny being furry?

This bothers me, not because of some fanatical furry pride, no, it bothers me because it's ridiculous. Follow me for a sec-

If you draw furry art, particularly adult furry art, and enjoy it, you are a furry.

Why do these artists deny the furry 'label'? Because they are afraid that being a furry immediately qualifies them for every dark chasm fetish or habit in the book. It's not worth the denial though, just because you are a furry does not mean you have to involve yourself in these activities.

If you are afraid to have the general public look down upon you as a result of being a furry, just don't advertise it! Be a furry with furries, and leave it at that.

Really now, if you draw it and like it, you ARE a furry. No ifs, ands or buts. If you draw it and hate it, then what is wrong with you? Stop doing it!

What is your opinion?

AKA Mogthemoogle
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm y'know.. I believe someone some years ago posted something similar to this...
Two words: Nag avoidance Razz

Personally I do not deny being furry, I just keep a low profile, in order to avoid the wrong kind of attention.

Ryan

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
Syrius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. It's shades of gray, not just black and white.
tobi3B

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that you mentioned it.
Had yesterday a little discussion with an artist.
She says she is no furry I say she is a furry fan because she likes to draw furry stuff. To that she agreed.
Iīm a furry and I donīt deny it but I donīt rub it under the noses of others

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Wulfie_Vulphyre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could term furry artists as "fur friendly" or something to the likes. They may not be a furry so to speak, they might just Really like drawing furry art. I do not deny being furry, I have in fact made it a point to include it in my life everyday. It's the same as religion to me. I gladly will look anyone in the eye and tell them Yes I am a furry, And Yes I am a Christian and I know it's a contradiction ( in the eyes of some ) so mind your own bees wax! People can judge, and I've even been threatened and called names because of it. That could be why some artists tend to try to dodge the furry label. It can be kind of dangerous in certain less tolerant parts of the world.
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that make all the 2D animators of the Disney cartoons with furry characters furries too?

Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
Would that make all the 2D animators of the Disney cartoons with furry characters furries too?

Well I suppose not. That's a job they took for love of animating.

Edit: What is being furry at it's core? A love for animal characters with human traits right? Yes.

It does not have to be sexual, though most furs enjoy that aspect, it's not a requirement to be a furry.

If you love these animal characters, you are, at the basic definition, a furry.

It is a shame that fur-dom has been defined with an over-sexual nature, but we be humans, we do that to everything we love.

AKA Mogthemoogle
Hawke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just leave it as art? There doesn't need to be labels. It's just another style of art.

"^HuK'D aWN FoNYCs WuRKD 4 MEEEEEE!!!!"
Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawke wrote:
Why not just leave it as art? There doesn't need to be labels. It's just another style of art.

Could you make a rap album and then claim not to be a rapper?

AKA Mogthemoogle
PrincessB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well one can dabble in something but not be fully that thing. I attended a Baptist church with an ex once, that does not make me a Baptist.
Now if one draws mostly clearly furry artwork but denies furry like it's an STD to be ashamed of then that is a bit bothersome. But if they mostly have one style and occasionally draw something kind of furry, then I could understand denying being furry.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessB wrote:
Now if one draws mostly clearly furry artwork but denies furry like it's an STD to be ashamed of then that is a bit bothersome. But if they mostly have one style and occasionally draw something kind of furry, then I could understand denying being furry.

True this. However, the artists who deny the 'status' have an enormous amount of the subject under their belt.

Jeremy Bernal for example. He even owns and operates an adult furry site, yet claims he is not a furry. The art and the site make him a big part of the fandom. Being a part of it does make him... well, a part of it. A furry.

AKA Mogthemoogle
Syrius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they just want to avoid getting labeled with the negative stigma associated with the fandom? Can't really blame them for that, can we?

On the other hand, that guy running a furry adult site wouldn't qualify for such reasoning...Confused

Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great point of interest to this subject-

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/3551731

For those who don't know, I am Skoon at FA. I did respond to this article.

(Yes, it's work safe)

AKA Mogthemoogle
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I rather dislike labels like "furry" being attached to people without their consent.

It is not about whether you draw furries, write about them, make fursuits or something else. It is about whether you identify yourself as a furry.

Personally, I have never identified myself as a furry. I am not an anthropomorphic animal. I'm a human being, shock-and-horror as that may be to some, but there goes. I do consider myself a fan of the genre for several reasons, but there are many aspects of furry fandom I just don't get and that I don't want to be involved in. One of them is fursuiting. If it fits others, fine ... dandy ... go right ahead, it's a free world. But I don't personally want to get closer to my inner animal in that way. There's no part of yiff I particularly like, either. And there are other things I don't really find all that interesting or attractive, as well.

However, that doesn't mean I can't like furry art or furry stories. I just don't think it's necessary to attach that label forcibly to everyone who has anything to do with the community. Let people define themselves, please.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You completely miss the point, Aslaug. The point is that being furry does not mean those things!

The true definition of furry is an interest in animals with human traits. Not yiff, not fur suits, not 'getting in touch with your inner animal', just a general interest in the furry characters. Those other things are side notes.

I'm not trying to force labels on anybody, I'm trying to play down the aspects that people have mistakenly identified as core furry. Make people realize that being a furry is not what they seem to think it is.

AKA Mogthemoogle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: