Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I bid you farewell and leave you a present

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: I bid you farewell and leave you a present Reply with quote

I said three weeks ago that I'd may be back in a month well I am here to say that I will not be back for quite a bit longer then that. As you all know I am a proud new father, plus I'm working trying to get as much overtime as I can, I am still writing, and I'm planning on going back to school early next year. If I do come back it won't be until after I finish my Master's degree in psycho therapy so I won't be here for many years. Trust me though that as soon as I get a parent who brings their teen in because they found a pinup of a tiger striped skunk lady on his wall I'll merely ask who he thinks draws ZigZag better Shwartz or Blackrabbit and I'll let you know right away Wink

Now to give you your gift.

Descarte is often misquoted as having said "I think therefore I am." What he actually said was "I doubt therefore I am." What sets apart from animals is not reason since animals can reason out cause and effect including such advanced concepts as water displacement. What sets us apart is doubt. Without doubt we would never question if what our leaders are doing is right or not. We would still enslave people based on nothing more than where they were born or who they were born to. Our gods gave us the ability to doubt for a reason, and the reason for doubt is to improve the world.

A man who blindly follows a leader may as well be a sheep. Religion thrives on people who don't doubt why else would they call their followers a flock. People who doubt their faith and come back to their church have a stronger belief. My brother-in-law faced doubt so he went to college where he studied Christianity and he realized that he could belong to no church because he felt all of them had fallen from the path they claim to follow. He is probably one the best Christians I have had the pleasure of meeting. He would not have become such had he not faced doubt.

So the present I give you is doubt.

The real reason I am leaving is that I have faced doubt in myself as furry, as well as the thinking of what it means to be furry for others.

I understand that for some people all being furry means is that they like the art and that is all. For others furry is something they were born to, a deep connection to the animals whose skins we figuratively wear. I have reviewed my discussions here from since my first posting and have begun to doubt that I belong.

Let's forget many of the less serious discussions such as wondering how hoofed animals can be come anthros, or that there should be no such things as breeds since that requires picked matings on a grand scale. People have accused me of trying to force my story ideas on others when I was only asking for reasoning behind such things.

I am talking about far more important discussions. So in order for you to understand my thinking I should tell you what being furry means to me.

To me being furry means accepting that all people were created equal since in the furry world animals which in the real world would be prey and predator can get married and raise children together.

To me it means that we celebrate and would protect the animals that we pretend to be, and since many times auctions are held at fur cons to raise money for animal rights campaigns I'm apparently not the only one to think so.

Yet I have (and this is not aimed at any one in specific) seen people here who would treat others as second class citizens. Or people who would vote for a women who used government money to spit out propaganda to call for the elimination of the wolves their fursona's portray.

I have seen all this here and it makes me doubt that this is truly the place for me. I would like all of you to take a deep look at yourselves and ask yourselves, possibly for the first time, what it means for you to be furry. Do you pay lip service to the animal your fursona portrays, or do actually feel a real connection to that same animal.

I have been lucky enough to be able to look into the eyes of a wild wolf and feel that connection form. I hope that you will all have the chance to meet your fursona face to face and maybe the connection you will hopefully feel will cause you to doubt what you, yourself are.

I doubt therefore I am.

I doubt therefore I am gone.

Farewell. if you want to get a hold of me talk to Mike or Aslaug, for I am no longer here.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt, too...

That you'll be able to stay away for very long... Wink

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Alexi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a fur, a parent, a husband and someone whom doubts and questions himself almost on a daily basis;

Do what you must. I don't think you will be gone as long as you think but, I will await you when you get back. You have been an enlightening conversationalist and I have enjoyed our debates.

But you have to do what you need and believe me, I understand.

Take care friend.

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I don't consider myself furry. I've never done that, and although my readers tend to refer to me affectionately as "the filly", I see myself as a human being who simply writes about anthropomorphic animals.

That said, I find the furry concept fascinating in much the same way as I like roleplaying games.

However, I actually think that it'll be good for Sigurd to take some time away. If he comes back, that's fine. But while he and I talk quite often, I must admit that I've been quite upset about the way he wants to mix politics into what is essentially a hobby for a lot of people.

So Sigurd, in case you do read this ...

Your post is, quite frankly, another slap in the face of those people around here you don't agree with. We all know about it by now and it's fair enough not to agree with someone on everything, but why must everyone agree with your vision of what it means to be a member of the furry community? You have one opinion of what it means ... others have another opinion. Why is yours automatically more right or valid than theirs?

What I think is most important about this community, is the fact that people can meet and talk across great divides. Both socially, geographically and culturally. I have friends on this board who are Catholic. Friends who are southern baptists. Friends who are non-denomination-Christians. Some are Democrats, some are Republicans. Some are European social democrats, others are conservatives.

Who cares?? It's not what I come here for!

Hell, I've got friends who are Atheists, Wiccans or Heathen ... and I know and like people from Norway, Austria, the United States of America, Germany, Canada, England ... all over the soddin' place. I know people making more money in a month than I make in half a year. I know people who are struggling to find the cash to pay for their internet subscription.

The point is I know them all and I like them all. Many of them are people who, by all accounts of their sociopolitical position or religious convictions shouldn't even SPEAK to me, yet they do and they are my friends nonetheless. Why? Because when I meet them, I try to meet them on the basis of a shared interest or hobby.

Sigurd ... you know I think quite highly of you in many ways, but you have a very strong tendency to put on your proverbial crusader's cape and go off on tangents against people, and you're often incapable of stopping when you cross the line. I've told you this to your face so there's no harm done in me saying this here as well.

I hope you'll learn one day that people you disagree with ... even very strongly, on issues that are close to your heart ... may still be good people. That they may still be nice, friendly and kind. That they don't do what they do out of malice or spite, but because THEY believe they are right, based on THEIR life experiences.

Which are different than yours.

I hope that one day, you'll understand that arguments never, ever changed anyone's opinion. Especially when those arguments become heated, personal and angry.

Good examples, on the other hand, can change people's perception of something drastically. I think I'm a reasonably good example of that. There are even people on this board who I've shown that sexual minorities are not all bad, sinful or horrible creatures. Not by arguing with them ... although in fairness, I did start out by doing that ... but by being a good example.

So yes, I've had heated arguments with people around here about much the same things you have, but I'm able to take a breath afterwards and move on. I hope ... I really, really hope ... you'll figure out how to do so as well.

We don't always agree with people on everything. And if you're absolutely honest with yourself, you have to admit that you don't even always agree with people you care about on all issues. Even on important issues.

Does that make them bad, wicked or deliberately mean too?

I hope you'll be back one day. I'm just very sad all this came to this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
South_Munjoy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: I bid you farewell and leave you a present Reply with quote

Sigurd Volsung wrote:
I said three weeks ago that I'd may be back in a month well I am here to say that I will not be back for quite a bit longer then that. As you all know I am a proud new father, plus I'm working trying to get as much overtime as I can, I am still writing, and I'm planning on going back to school early next year. If I do come back it won't be until after I finish my Master's degree in psycho therapy so I won't be here for many years. Trust me though that as soon as I get a parent who brings their teen in because they found a pinup of a tiger striped skunk lady on his wall I'll merely ask who he thinks draws ZigZag better Shwartz or Blackrabbit and I'll let you know right away Wink

Now to give you your gift.

Descarte is often misquoted as having said "I think therefore I am." What he actually said was "I doubt therefore I am." What sets apart from animals is not reason since animals can reason out cause and effect including such advanced concepts as water displacement. What sets us apart is doubt. Without doubt we would never question if what our leaders are doing is right or not. We would still enslave people based on nothing more than where they were born or who they were born to. Our gods gave us the ability to doubt for a reason, and the reason for doubt is to improve the world.

A man who blindly follows a leader may as well be a sheep. Religion thrives on people who don't doubt why else would they call their followers a flock. People who doubt their faith and come back to their church have a stronger belief. My brother-in-law faced doubt so he went to college where he studied Christianity and he realized that he could belong to no church because he felt all of them had fallen from the path they claim to follow. He is probably one the best Christians I have had the pleasure of meeting. He would not have become such had he not faced doubt.

So the present I give you is doubt.

The real reason I am leaving is that I have faced doubt in myself as furry, as well as the thinking of what it means to be furry for others.

I understand that for some people all being furry means is that they like the art and that is all. For others furry is something they were born to, a deep connection to the animals whose skins we figuratively wear. I have reviewed my discussions here from since my first posting and have begun to doubt that I belong.

Let's forget many of the less serious discussions such as wondering how hoofed animals can be come anthros, or that there should be no such things as breeds since that requires picked matings on a grand scale. People have accused me of trying to force my story ideas on others when I was only asking for reasoning behind such things.

I am talking about far more important discussions. So in order for you to understand my thinking I should tell you what being furry means to me.

To me being furry means accepting that all people were created equal since in the furry world animals which in the real world would be prey and predator can get married and raise children together.

To me it means that we celebrate and would protect the animals that we pretend to be, and since many times auctions are held at fur cons to raise money for animal rights campaigns I'm apparently not the only one to think so.

Yet I have (and this is not aimed at any one in specific) seen people here who would treat others as second class citizens. Or people who would vote for a women who used government money to spit out propaganda to call for the elimination of the wolves their fursona's portray.

I have seen all this here and it makes me doubt that this is truly the place for me. I would like all of you to take a deep look at yourselves and ask yourselves, possibly for the first time, what it means for you to be furry. Do you pay lip service to the animal your fursona portrays, or do actually feel a real connection to that same animal.

I have been lucky enough to be able to look into the eyes of a wild wolf and feel that connection form. I hope that you will all have the chance to meet your fursona face to face and maybe the connection you will hopefully feel will cause you to doubt what you, yourself are.

I doubt therefore I am.

I doubt therefore I am gone.

Farewell. if you want to get a hold of me talk to Mike or Aslaug, for I am no longer here.

My return present to you is a quote that was made famous by Shakespere:

El Bardo Grande wrote:

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages.

The Buddha also said something similar, 'Life is an illusion'.

I think that you're taking this whole furry thing far too seriously, and placing much emphasis on 'Furry' as being this great social equaliser. --It ain't that at all.

There will always be pecking orders, (Wolf Society after all, is nothing more than one large pecking order) and to delude yourself into believing otherwise is a very naive, foolish thing to do.

By all means, take a break and take time off from the whole furry thing. You will realise sooner or later that 'Furry' is really nothing more than 'entertainment', much the same way that 'Science Fiction' is entertainment, not some great world changing movement.

Furry is nothing more than some great act, a pretend world, a cloud castle if you will; a great place to build and construct, but not a place you dare move into and live in due to the fact that the walls and archetecture have as much substance and form as thin air. It sounds to me that you forgot this and decided to move into your cloud castle, and in doing so, you've taken the big fall and are now paying the emotional price for reading too much into this.

The thing that I like about the whole 'furry' thing is that getting into it is kinda like getting into 'science fiction' was back in the 1930's was, or more specifically for me, like my involvement in the punk scene in the early 80's was. --It's an underground phenominon that's somewhat edgy and socially dangerous due to the fact that 'greater society' has a lot of misconceptions about it.

Other than that, it's really nothing more than entertainment, something that we do to pass the time and enjoy ourselves with. It appears that you've either drawn the wrong conclusions about this, or forgotten the fact that it really is nothing more than entertainment.

'We just do this shit for a good time and a few laughs, if you're into it you're welcome to join us, if not, screw you too.' That quote pretty much sums up the punk scene and practically all other SubCultures are ultimately all about. One of Abbie Hoffman's (RIP) great quotes is 'Revolution for the hell of it'. --Apparently you've either not learned this, or forgotten that's what all this furry shit is ultimately all about.

I hope you find yourself, and eventually return with the realisation that this isn't something to take seriously because it really isn't.

Good luck and Godspeed to you, buddy.
Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly think you're taking everything-- including life in general-- far too seriously. I'll also add that you soon won't have many friends if you demand they agree with you about everything, and share your personal pet peeves and priority list.

When you have your kid, be sure to take time to make silly faces at him/her and make funny noises on its belly with your mouth. Laugh and smile with the little one, and tell outrageously funny lies once they can understand them. Then, and _only_ then, ponder the true meaning of life and what you really believe in. If you come to the same answers I did, then you'll be back to this or perhaps another one very much like it. And if not, well...

...have a nice life! You deserve one too, just like the rest of us!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: