Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New NIMH Movie In The Works

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vallus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: New NIMH Movie In The Works Reply with quote

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.reuters.com/new-film-version-quotrats-nimhquot-works-reuters

Please, please, PLEASE don't screw this up Hollywood!
Marble Didymus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will. Don't worry. Rolling Eyes
Xaqtly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the book and the first movie, but it seems like this new one is merely an attempt to ride the wave of rodent-based kids movies rather than a genuine attempt to make something great. It's just sad that they can't leave well enough alone, because the first movie really was an attempt to make something great.
tobi3B

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didnīt know it there was a second movie made.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171725/

Hope the next one is better.

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Teric

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Oh PLEASE don't make it like Alvin and the Chipmunks!

The original book and movie aren't simply highly-commercialized attempts to entertain children. They have an element of depth, with real character and real relationships. They explored family love, deep grief and loss, community, and a desperate sense of danger. The plot was rich and complex, vastly different from a lot of the movie plots we see coming out today.

Though I know very little about the team working on the new NIMH movie, I honestly feel very skeptical.

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But remember according to the "experts" *SNARK!* today's children are just too delicate for that sort of thing why the first few seasons of Sesame Street is considered inappropriate for kids today Evil or Very Mad

Syrius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're doing a remake? Waaaaaay original, Hollywood.

I hope it bombs, so they stop messing with the classics.

At least Universal had the decency of giving the Balto series proper closure, and not pulling a Land Before Time on it.

Vallus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teric wrote:
Shocked

Oh PLEASE don't make it like Alvin and the Chipmunks!

The original book and movie aren't simply highly-commercialized attempts to entertain children. They have an element of depth, with real character and real relationships. They explored family love, deep grief and loss, community, and a desperate sense of danger. The plot was rich and complex, vastly different from a lot of the movie plots we see coming out today.

Though I know very little about the team working on the new NIMH movie, I honestly feel very skeptical.

Thank you Teric, that is pretty much what I wanted to say this morning but was having trouble getting down. I had to cut it short to what I did post and then go jump in the shower and get ready for the day.

Styx, that is exactly my fear about this remake and I hope the director has the balls to buck that trend.

Anybody here familiar with the Nostalgia Critic? He rated The Secret of Nimh as the number one underrated nostagic classic. Take a look and see if you agree and then think what a modern remake might be like.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/2384-top-11-underated-nostalgic-classics

Finally, if they try and do some kind of pop remix of Flying Dreams for the ending credits there will be RAGE. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Vallus on Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vallus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobi3B wrote:
If you didnīt know it there was a second movie made.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171725/

Hope the next one is better.

Oh yes, I'm aware of it. I tried to watch it, I really did, but I just couldn't make it all the way through. I really hope this new movie is nothing like that.
RCraccoon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the sequel to that wasnt THAT bad it did have some great songs in it however in regards to this new movie.....Obama better ban guns soon or s**t is going down

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're going to have to go a ways to mess up this worse than the first one. Rolling Eyes
Xaqtly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good example of this happening is The Fox and The Hound. The original was classic Disney at its very best; painstakingly hand animated, good voice acting, a story that makes you laugh and cry through the whole thing.

The sequel was what they called a "mid-quel", a story that takes place in the timeframe of the first half of the original movie. "Dumbed down" is being kind. It had the emotional weight of finding a piece of lint on your jacket.

Sometimes I think that the reason my characters are so passionate towards each other, and why I try to bring out these feelings in my stories is because I learned it from Disney. The old Disney. Look at movies like The Fox and The Hound, Robin Hood, Bambi. That is some powerful stuff there, and it was meant to make you FEEL something when you watched it.

It's so rare to feel anything when watching animated movies these days because Disney has basically abandoned any trace of what made them great and is content with dumbing everything down and pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Pixar has been getting it right, and they're pretty much the only ones, with some very rare exceptions along the way. The Lion King was a step above Disney's usual standards, and there have been others that showed real care in their creation like Balto (but not its consequent sequels). So I don't hold out much hope for a remake of the original NIMH being any good. The original was so good that there just isn't any point in remaking it. If you want great, just go watch the original again.

Kelvin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xaqtly wrote:
The Lion King was a step above Disney's usual standards,

You have to remember that The Lion King was just Hamlet told with lions. The only thing Disney added was Timon and Pumbaa, although that's really what made the story so epic. *big Timon fan*

As for Disney in general, I find all their movies too predictable. The main character or someone close to the main character is always missing one if not both parents, and the villain (if any) always dies a painful, agonizing death. Either that, or they suffer some kind of comic humiliation that's meant to bring about warm, buttery feelings and say "Hey, look everyone! We fixed 'im!". Only thing I really like about Disney is that they know how to make things cute and fuzzy.

Discord: kelvin#0465
Syrius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, dear Nikolai, Disney tried something different with Emperor's New Groove, and ended up being criminally underrated.
Tora_Frogg
Divided by Zero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Disney's Movies that are aimed at older audiences. Such as National Treasure.
Michael 03/22/15
Jonathan 04/10/15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: