Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everything in its Own Season..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not unsubtle enough...

One friend commented that I was about as subtle as a tactical nuclear warhead.. >.>

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karou WindStalker wrote:
Still not unsubtle enough...

One friend commented that I was about as subtle as a tactical nuclear warhead.. >.>

Hey now! Have you been taking lessons without telling me?

(I have had a few more years to practice, you know.)

And I have been accused of confusing 'tact' with 'attack'. Razz

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm 20 pages into Chapter 3. ^_^;;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final of Chapter 3 has been sent to the Proof Readers. ^_^

All I can hint at is there's a wedding to be planned. >.>

Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*facepalm*

Serves me right.

All I was trying to do was give you an updated cast list, Mike, for the bloody PDF, which truncates the cast list from successive chapters.

tobi3B

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice chapter. Life goes on. And a mate for Jo- Ann.
Excellent work. It´s nice to get a little view in the lifes of the furs.

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Mike ... I always write in 14 point.

My eyes are bad enough that I need what help I can give them.

Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working hard on penning Chapter 4 ... just so you know, I will reveal the reason for Vince's ' new ' car in the chapter, as well as a few other plot points which have been left to be wondered at.

That said, the only other hint I'll give right now is to say Vince's ride isn't 100% stock. Wink

Frazikar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, wonder what you have up your .. er hidden in the car besides the usual transport covering....
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitrous? Oil dump tank? A bag full of caltrops (also dumpable)? Sidewinder missiles? A minigun? Smokescreen? JATO?

Twisted Evil

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JATOs are a bit difficult to hide in a car.

The same with sidewinders.
Besides, where would you get the compressor capable of 350 Atmospheres pressure needed to fill the coolantt tanks for the IR sensor?
(Not just high pressure, but incredibly dry)
I know of just a few such compressors in Norway, and all were marked 'Property of RNoAF'.
The filters alone takes up silly amounts of space.
(That was for the 9L series. I'm woefully behind later models/missiles)

Maybe a couple of 2.75" rockets.
(Use Canadian CRV7, not American FFAR as there's less danger of hitting yourself with the CRV7... )

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, like Bond much there?

Still, ya have to wonder....
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bond is an amateur and a sissy...

Besides, he's just a pale rip-off of the original, Dr. Jonas Fjeld.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
South_Munjoy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
Bond is an amateur and a sissy...

Besides, he's just a pale rip-off of the original, Dr. Jonas Fjeld.

I didn't find anything available on him in English, so I had Google translate this from Norwegian. Be forewarned that the translation is pretty bad:

Bad Translation from Norwegian Wikipedia wrote:

Jonas Brothers (series of)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

See also Jonas Fjeld (musician)

Jonas Brothers series is a Norwegian suspense series written by Øvre Richter Frich from 1911 onwards. Author's debut came in 1911 with his novel The tension knotted næver, the first book in Fjeld series. The book was published in the Weekend Erichsens Publisher after Olaf Norlis Publisher had first rejected the book. The novel was a fantastic success. It received excellent reviews in Aftenposten and sold in large quantities, something the rest of the series did. Fjeld series is re-released several times, although the obvious racism that is expressed in the books seems shocking for readers who are unfamiliar with the postwar popular literature. Literature scholar Willy Dahl mentioned in 1975 Øvre Richter Frich as "the Norwegian trivial literature's most proclaimed racist violence and romantic, he is anti-communist of the most vulgar, hetsende kind". Frichs biographer Christopher Hals Gylseth points out on its side that Frich was no extremist, it should conjure for thought is rather that the opinions he expressed were common in contemporary Norway and Europe.

Protagonist, Jonas Brothers, are severally so you can get - high as a giant, strong as an ox, blond hair, light skin and blue eyes. He is lynskarp, always cold, and a medical doctor and surgeon. Yet he is a natural talent with various weapons, explosives, machinery, aircraft - at all a natural talent for "everything", and a killing machine when the wild beast awakens.

His enemies are almost always foreigners, like Semites or preferably anarchic, fanatical Russians - or other members of the Slavic race. Frich, however, was neither a Nazi or fascist, although he certainly was a racist. He was a child of the contemporary views on other countries and cultures. When it comes to his political ideology, he hates Soviet communism, despise Nazism and Fascism, and wrinkles on the nose of capitalism. He is a nationalist, and shelving the best aspects of the Norwegian monarchy-democracy that existed in his time.

[edit] The books in the Jonas Brothers series

From 1911 to 1935 it was released 21 books in the Jonas Brothers series. In Helge Erichsens Forlags releases are those numbered from 1-21. However, the numbering is not chronologically correct, neither in relation to the publication or action. This can be confusing, for example, when people die in a book shows up again in a book with a higher number. In the list below are the novels mentioned in the order they came out, and numbering from Helge Eriksen Publisher's in the column on the right (series).
No. Title Subtitle Published year Series The action takes place in
1. The knotted næver A storforbryders novel 1911 1 Norway
2. Kondoren A landflygtigs novel 1912 2 Argentina
3. Guldaaren An adventure novels 1912 3 North America
4. The black vulture A forbryderroman in the air in 1913 4 Norway
5. Golden plague A modern alkemistroman 1913 5 Norway
6. In silver, the country's night a novel about pirates in the country røvernes 1913 8 Mexico
7. Flyvefisken Novel from World War 1921 1914 6 Norway
8. The red Taake A modern pirate novel 1914 9 North Atlantic
9. Ocean eyes 1915 7 Norway / England / Paris
10. Donna Francesca 1916 10 Argentina
11. Hammer Made in 1917 21 London / Paris
12. Jonas Brothers Little Boy Roman 1918 17 Norway / Denmark
13. Lucifer's eye A novel about the light in 1920 12 London
14. Earth as dræper 1921 11 England
15. Pans Fløite A novel about poisoned sound 1922 14 Paris
16. The immortal dverge 1924 16 Peru
17. Jacques Delmas forband else 1926 13 Monaco
18. Snake flower from Magdelen Jonas Brothers-roman 1927 15 Colombia
19. Large mountain manor 1932 18 Peru / Colombia
20. Nordlysets daughter Jonas Brothers-roman 1934 19 Siberia
21. Menneskejegerne Kriminalroman 1935 20 Åland / London
[edit] Report from any of the novels

The first book, The knotted Næver, was written in 1911. Fjeld friend, fin Ilmari Erko, is a dwarf who hates especially the Russians. He is a genius inventor who at the start of the series has taken up a metal that is lighter than aluminum and stronger than steel, and also an explosive that breaks without a sound or flash of light, but tearing molecules apart. Fjeld manage to persuade him to use his talents to crime, and together they rob a bank for around half a million kroner.

Later Fjeld must flee from his family when he thinks the police are about to take him for robbery. He heads to South America, where he gets the nickname "Kondoren". After that he will land a refugee under the cover name of Johnny Stone. He finds a giant-gullåre and is very rich in it. He finds out that the police were not looking for him anyway, and goes home to his wife and son. Anonymously, he enters into an agreement with the bank he robbed of the money he stole to be returned, to forget that the bank affair. This is the part of.

Moreover, he turns up with the former Scotland Yard detective Ralph Burns, and together they hunt the main members of the anarchist movement in Europe. These have long terrorized the world with their black fly, hence called "The Black vultures". Our heroes get hold of them using Erkos new electric aircraft (as well as propeller lucky the wings). When the hunt is over, let Fjeld and Erko all the glory go to Burns, who is left with an arm and a leg less (blasted by anarchists during the hunt).

Flyvefisken, which is the fifth book in the series, depicts an alternate World War. Erko has designed a submarine that can jump out of the water, fold the wings and propellers, and aircraft. A squint-eyed, brunhudet, black hair, mischievous Russian anarchist (a typical Jonas Brothers-villain, in other words) by name Azew, visit Erko. Azew says that conditions in Europe mean that everything is the way for a dictatorial coup in several countries, perhaps even dominance over the world. Therefore, all major powers interested in Flyvefisken, who apparently can change the war started. And war must come, says Azew. On behalf of the russike government offers him Erko two million rubles for the machine. When Erko declined, the Azew furious. He says that he shall not be flyvefisken, and brings the two leads he has in hand together, so that the bomb he has placed at Flyvefisken to blow up the submarine.

After Azew are chased away, clash it loose. Russia, England and Germany will send all of their fleets to Kristiansand, where Flyvefisken is in port. But Norwegians are not going to retire soon. The Russian fleet at the first, but the Norwegian general Vogt and his guns hold condition. Finally Flyvefisken comes to the rescue. With Erkos gun surplus explosives are the key to the Norwegian victory, when they manage to hold out against the Russians. The Norwegian artillery positions being almost shot to pieces, the Norwegian flag hangs ragged in the laser rod, but still stands the General Vogt proud and strong on the mound, the inspiration for his soldiers. Russians driven out, and being driven out of the fjord on the wild flight back to Russia.

Here's an excerpt from Flyvefisken describing the vision Frich had on the Aryan and the Russian "race." The excerpt describes the Jonas Brothers and the Russian spy and villain Azew, seen from Azews perspective:

The Russian crouched down. It was as if the strange laughter in there from the darkness hit him over. His face was white and the large pupils of his eyes expanded. Erko retreated and kept the little browning straight ahead. For now had Azew threw the mask. He was no more spy and polished culture man. The Russian was scratched by him, and Tartars stood naked in front of them. It worked a rage in him that was terrible, while his eyes wandered wildly round and his back bent out of fear of once again hearing the laughter that had whipped him in one of his humiliating life moments. Yes - there he stood, the killer, the unadulterated bond of blood lusts, kosakksjelen with the red lust dripping from his eyes. The bloody and torn hands groped for a weapon, but he found nothing and the groan of rage he raised his clenched fists against the hidden enemy.

[...]

It was a moans to see him. He winced as if he suffered from a sharp physical pain. He was one of the men who can not bear to see a victor in the eyes. Yes - as he struggled this tens son whose wisdom and koldblodighet secured him against so many failures, that a sudden adversity struck his calm down. Then he was like the snapping wolves as the cowardice of despair bit after rider whip while dødsfråden foams of the jaws.

But with one he got up. It was as if he was hit by an electric shock. His eyes clung to a figure that slowly slipped out of the darkness. It was a tall, broad-shouldered man with a quiet, little kluntete movements. And now that the electric light shone him straight in the face, then Slavs his tribe and his race as the enemy in the eye. For there were Germans shoulder, the blonde, blåøyde descendent of kimbrer and Teuton, the warrior and dreamer in a person.

The next was truly a sight worth. The slightly angular head with the distinctive dolikokefale form, the strong, sinewy neck, the gently sloping shoulders and the free attitude, formed a whole that stamped him as a man of the Lord's grace, a ruler in a well and a ruler of evil. His face was not beautiful, but it was an impressive lighting effect over it.
[edit] Literature

* Dahl, Willy: Blue glasses and løsskjegg in Christiania. About crime and suspense novels from the period around World War. (1975)

Portal: Literature
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, that's a pretty horrible translation.

One problem is that the article was written in rather oldfashioned Norwegian.
The first book can be translated to 'The bunched fists'
Kondoren - The Condor. 'Landflygtig' is now written 'landflyktig' and means 'In exile' or 'Banished'
'Guldaaren' would be written as 'Gullåren' today and translates into 'Gold vein'
The Black vulture, a forbryderroman in the air - a crime novel in the air.
Golden plague, a modern alkemistroman - Another one Goocle couldn't translate because it should now be written 'alkymist' which translates into Alchemist novel...
The red taake - The red fog. Taake is written 'tåke' these days.
19 Large mountain manor - This is a case of using literal translation of the single words, instead of knowing the meaning behind them. We use the word 'Stor' (which does mean 'large') about mountains, sometimes, but the MEANING is 'high' 'The high mountain castle' would be a much better translation.

No, I'm not going to completely translate the article.
That was just to give you all an idea of exactly how much written language can change in less than a century.
(While the books have been reissued a few times, I believe the text was only updated in one printing, and that came after this article was written, so all excerpts were with the original language. )
And yes, they WERE translated into english, but don't expect them to appear on abebooks.com or ebay.

A general tip when trying to translate older Norwegian texts is to replace 'aa' with 'å' before googling it. Also, there are 'compund words'
We don't join words with an '-', we just mash them together.
If a word can't be translated, and it's a bit long, try to split them apart.
Also, in older texts, some words that ends in an 'e' no longer does so.

No, I'm not a linguist. I just grew up reading old printings of books.

Like my Avatar?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: