Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kellan Meig'h blog comments
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Kellan Meig'h blog comments Reply with quote

OK, for those of you that do not care for the Haloscan commenting system, please feel free to comment on My Blog here.

Kellan, the old warhorse.

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ... that's quite a step up from your 1010, Kel. A 460 in that big ol' buffalo? That'll get you over the road or trail with authority, I'd imagine! And at 136K it's barely broken in.

You know Mike and I were bragging on our respective nefarious machines at Styx place the other day, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that his nemesis has more than twice the miles the beast has accrued. 406K! I was ... humbled.

Nice looking truck. Looking forward to the pictures of your little jewel.

SC

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silver Coyote wrote:
Wow ... that's quite a step up from your 1010, Kel. A 460 in that big ol' buffalo? That'll get you over the road or trail with authority, I'd imagine! And at 136K it's barely broken in.

You know Mike and I were bragging on our respective nefarious machines at Styx place the other day, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that his nemesis has more than twice the miles the beast has accrued. 406K! I was ... humbled.

Nice looking truck. Looking forward to the pictures of your little jewel.

SC

Okay, the Buffalo stood still long enough to get a bath, so I posted the pics on my blog. That SEFI 7.5L mountain mover actually may get substantially better mileage than the old IHC War Wagon. At least it seems to have been kinda thrifty with the $30 USD I threw in her tank the other day.

Fixed the inside door handle but I'm still waiting for that transmission switch to come in. Should be in Sunday 6/05. If that doesn't fix the weird shifting, I'll have to dig deeper. Couldn't be much, considering how smooth it runs.

BTW, the Tigress has asked if she can drive it from time to time . . .

Mike's mileage is humbing but you know, I think with the proper maintenance, any War Wagon can go 400K plus. I'll bet Mike pats her hood and talks sweet to his beast . . .

Kel

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you've got yourself a looker now, eh Kel? Very nice.

I had to change that transmission switch you refer to on my son's Jeep Cherokee. I forget what Chrysler called it, but it was a $300 part, and you could not easily start the vehicle without it. Like yours, it senses what gear the vehicle is supposed to be in, and controls various things (including the crank function) accordingly. If the computer doesn't know the vehicle is in neutral or park, guess what? No workee!

My job took about 90 minutes, most of which was devoted to cleaning years worth of road grime and vegetation away from the linkage the switch mounted to. Once I figured out where all the mounting hardware was it was ten minutes to replace it, even though his Jeep is a bit closer to the ground than your new toy is, and I was thus on my back for most of it.

Hope everything works out well for you and your new machine. Let us know how it performs off road!

SC

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd how we seem to mirror each other in some ways.

Yesterday (Saturday) seemed incredibly short to me, too. Short story: upper ball joints on both side of the beast. A nine hour job, 90% of it was getting the old ones out. The day went quickly ...

I've seen those racks you describe. We won't buy them, we seem to have a dedication to WeatherGuard equipment (I believe we have a contract with the local distributor). You scored the deal of the month, at the very least!

Looking forward to the pictures ...

SC

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to my favorite picture location today so I'll take a few shots of The Buffalo's new adornment.

I feel for you, my friend. I've done that very front end job myself. No fun. It was a very seriously abused K-10 pickup that lived its life on a farm. We used a full can of Kroil on it breaking the rust loose. Did you have to use generous amounts of heat?

The Buffalo would be more of a project in that respect. No radius arms (has leaf springs) but the Dana 50/Twin Traction Beam front end is just miserable to remove and work on. From the looks of the bushings, I'll be doing them in two or three years. Probably do the ball joints, u-joints and caster bushings at the same time.

Take care,

Kel

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No heat, Kel, but plenty of cutting oil and compressed air. I threw away a couple of drill bits when I was done.

SC

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you're feeling, Kel, but I would argue that your luck is actually quite good precisely for the reasons you mentioned ... no overhead at the con, no years worth of truck payments ...

It sucks that the Tigress lost her job. I'm sorry that happened to her, and to your family. But I have faith in you all, because I know you. That belt will be tightened, and you'll get by.

We've had the same threat hanging over our heads. God bless HP, they've been rumbling and snorting about doing the same thing to my wife for quite some time. She's survived more rounds of layoffs than I can count, but I think her race is about run with those boneheads.

Take it as it comes, do what you can to control and direct the situation, and roll with whats left. We'll be here to back you up and help you out. Feel free to call in some air support when you need it.

SC

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope she'll be able to find a new job fast, Kellan. I'm so sorry to hear this happened to your family. Please give your wife my best wishes, alright?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was saddened to hear of Baby's passing, Kel.

While I question many things these days, I have always believed and always will that our friends wait for us somewhere, and that when we meet them again they and we will be free from the things that have bound and pained us here, that have forced us to be apart.

I know I have several friends waiting for me. Sending a friend on ahead of you is never an easy thing to do. I empathize with you, been there, done that. The pain and that empty feeling will eventually moderate and may someday disappear altogether, but the love will never die. And that will be rewarded someday, for Baby, and for us all who are left behind. I assure you that patience will be rewarded, and that her loss, and yours, are only temporary.

It is difficult to be happy about what has happened, but she is young and happy again. Look forward to that time when you will see that young Baby, when you meet her at that rainbow bridge. I know she is looking forward to seeing you.

Be at peace, brother.

SC

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regards the infection of your filly's computer, this root kit / trojan managed to get past the native anti-virus software?

Too bad you can't get on line with it. If you could long enough to get the latest updates for your "killers" (SpyBot, Malwarebytes, whatever) you might be able to eradicate it. Could you maybe use another computer to make a bootable CD with "killer" apps installed? I've done that, and I've heard that you can do the same thing with thumb drives.

What O/S?

That sucks, Kel. I understand your anger. I've wasted a lot of my life cleaning up messes my well-meaning pups made of their computers simply while doing homework or surfing for whatever it is youngsters surf for (images and music, mostly). If you ever find the source of that nonsense, leave enough of the meat for me to drive a blade into it once or twice, will ya?

SC

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silver Coyote wrote:
Regards the infection of your filly's computer, this root kit / trojan managed to get past the native anti-virus software?

Too bad you can't get on line with it. If you could long enough to get the latest updates for your "killers" (SpyBot, Malwarebytes, whatever) you might be able to eradicate it. Could you maybe use another computer to make a bootable CD with "killer" apps installed? I've done that, and I've heard that you can do the same thing with thumb drives.

What O/S?

That sucks, Kel. I understand your anger. I've wasted a lot of my life cleaning up messes my well-meaning pups made of their computers simply while doing homework or surfing for whatever it is youngsters surf for (images and music, mostly). If you ever find the source of that nonsense, leave enough of the meat for me to drive a blade into it once or twice, will ya?

SC

this is one nasty rootkit, my friend.

OS is Win XP Pro SP3, Avast! antivirus, Ad-aware, Threatfire. Windows firewall, probably the weak link. This was the Tigress' computer but the little filly kept using it after hers became infected with some nasty thing.

Whatever this is, it kills antivirus programs after one use/cycle. It even kills GMER, a rootkit removal tool. Looking like a full rebuild w/ a new hdd. Toss that infected POS rather than to try to kill this infection. GMER and Sophos both reported it as a hidden service, no name.

If I ever find the b@st@rd that created this, I will do some very serious bodily harm to him. I have about eight yours into this so far, and probably about thirty to forty to get this computer back to the way it was.

Gah! Evil or Very Mad

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ... that sounds ugly. This morning I had an advisory on my computer that a restart was required after loading "security updates" from symantec overnight. Wonder if that's a coincidence?

In any event, it sounds like you're on the right track. Don't try and salvage the drive, just re-install the O/S on a new one and start fresh. Hopefully most of the data was backed up somewhere so you can recover it ...

Good luck!

SC

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellan said (in his blog 21 August):
Quote:
I am losing faith in my fellow man.

Really? Losing?

You're a better fur than I, Kel. I have completely lost any faith I had in my "fellow men," whatever they may be. The disappointments rain down, and the rays of sunshine are few.

After hearing about this on the news I remember discussing our season tickets for the Ducks with my Fox, and wondering indeed if we should get kevlar vests for ourselves. It's a frightening world we live in, no? What is everyone so angry about? Used to be folks went to a stadium or arena or field to enjoy the game, not to subjugate each other.

<shakes head>

Makes you wonder how much longer the race will last, doesn't it.

SC

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silver Coyote wrote:
Kellan said (in his blog 21 August):
Quote:
I am losing faith in my fellow man.

Really? Losing?. . .

Makes you wonder how much longer the race will last, doesn't it.

SC

SC, you know the answer there. The race will last until the Boss says, "The End."

Thing is, it'll get really bad and the race will go waaay downhill before that time comes, I'm afraid.

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Kellan Meig'h All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: