Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silly Things Found on the Internet...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Silly Things Found on the Internet... Reply with quote

...Where the Author Believes What He or She has Posted!

A recent thread reminded me of a website which purported to be serious research about the reality of a certain mythological creature. I went looking for the site, but didn't find it. Instead I found this summary, but unfortunately without a link to the original.

Let's try to stay away from politics and religion, as that's basically belief and opinion. But there are all kinds of ideas out there and some are a little zany.

Here's another one (from that same Russian "news" site. Note the caption on the first photo. Apparently there really are people out there who believe anorexia is a valid and valuable lifestyle (the photos have been Photoshopped).

Time to mock the silly people merely by showing they exist!

Have fun.

S-

PrincessB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My immediate thought is, how much money was spent to research these animal/humans? I once saw that scientist spent 3 million studying to find out that polar bears tend to be left handed so how much did this one cost?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Leonato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, its fairly impossible (though probably not completely) to actually die as a result of posting something online. As such, the Darwin awards do not realistically apply to stupidity online. Though there ARE those who do get themselves killed doing stupid stuff, and that is why the Darwin awards exist.... but also in a different category is stupid crooks. And at the bottom of the pecking order is stupid online posters. Those who think that two braincells, no understanding of English, and a computer somehow qualify them to comment on ANY subject under the sun. What you have stumbled across, as you point out, is posters who really believe what they post.... good GOD *sighs*. *cant help but laugh* And the second link you posted..... photoshoped or not.... *GAG*.... the horrible things people will do to themselves and then find some crazy justification for it!

Every day I dont think people can get any stupider, and every day I'm proved horribly horribly wrong.

All that is left is to just laugh about it, so one doesn't loose all faith in humanity as a whole.

Thanks for the laugh, honestly, I needed one!

PF's resident Lynx/Domestic Reader/DJ,
Leonato

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt any public money was spent to fund the "scientist" as he wasn't really a scientist. At least that's the distinct impression I got from that original website I saw. Googled a bit more and still haven't found it.

Princess, you found that article about the person that thought the world was going to end. Can we find more articles, or Internet stories, or dedicated websites in the same vein?

An excellent example, but is so common it's hardly worth mentioning, are all those backyard inventors who are working on "magnetic motors". That is, a motor made entirely of permanent magnets without energy input such as wires, hoses for compressed air, etc. Unsuccessful experiments are the product of well-meaning but technically ignorant individuals. Successful experiments are the product of fraudsters and charlatans.

It's almost an embarrassment because it's so obviously a hoax, but there's always Bat Boy.

And my favorite quote from the Bat Boy article:
Quote:
The Weekly World News was not one of those sleazy tabloids that cover tawdry celebrity scandals. It was a sleazy tabloid that covered events that seemed to occur in a parallel universe, a fevered dream world where pop culture mixed with urban legends, conspiracy theories and hallucinations. Maybe WWN played fast and loose with the facts, but somehow it captured the spirit of the age...

Scotty

PS: Edited to add the all important "out" to "without". Rolling Eyes

Last edited by ScottyDM on Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever created this website was serious. But note their web host. Spendin' the big bucks there!
Quote:
Gravity research is at the forefront of scientific research today.

Physicists are devoting enormous resources towards finding the true connections between the force of gravity and the other known forces of the Universe - the strong force, the weak force, and the electro-magnetic force. Once the actual connections are determined, the mechanism of gravity-control (antigravity) should be more readily constructable.

This web site contains summaries and hyperlinks compiled from thousands of the latest reports and other information by gravity researchers from all over the world !

It contains gravity theories, matter and energy concepts, nuclear and universe structure theories, etcetera.

It should provide a helpful mental exercise to jog your own brain into producing ideas which may lead to the actual gravity-control mechanism.

It is hoped that this web site will be of some help in the dispersion of gravity knowledge so that this field can be furthered more quickly and lead to a breakthrough in the utilization of gravity as an aerospace propulsion system.

In this web-site, you will find no formulas pertaining to the measurement of the gravity field. Any physics book can give you that information. You will probably find no 'pat answers' herein, because as of yet there are none known.

We are not trying to discover how to measure gravity, we are trying to discover what it is, what causes it, what is its mechanism, how can it be controlled ?

Somewhere a shred of evidence exists which will tie some loose ends together, and we will grasp the final product.....Gravity-Control !!!

The website is: Antigravity Propulsion, Levitation.

Which reminds me of another website... but I shall leave that for another day.

Scotty

PrincessB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mostly only seen other teen chicks posting "akk the world is going to end on this exact date, what to do"

I saw one of failblog one time that was hilarious. It was of a woman video taping her sprinkler and in a very angry and serious voice saying; 'look at this, look at the rainbow coming off the sprinkler. What is going on, what are they putting in our water? This is a recent thing, this didn't happen years ago. What are they putting in our water to cause this? We need to find out!"
She apparently firmly believed that the government or something was putting chemicals in the water and causing the little rainbow coming off her sprinkler system.

Edit: You asked for more on the "end of the world" I saw another on the same website but this one was written more of a news article feel them an "oh noes teh world will endz!" type like most I've seen.
http://www.myyearbook.com/?mysession=bWFnX2FydGljbGVfcmVhZCZhaWQ9MjI0OTY=

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessB wrote:
I saw one of failblog one time that was hilarious. It was of a woman video taping her sprinkler and in a very angry and serious voice saying; 'look at this, look at the rainbow coming off the sprinkler. What is going on, what are they putting in our water? This is a recent thing, this didn't happen years ago. What are they putting in our water to cause this? We need to find out!"
She apparently firmly believed that the government or something was putting chemicals in the water and causing the little rainbow coming off her sprinkler system.

"Failblog" I like it! That story sounds like something The Onion would publish, but of course the writers for The Onion know they're writing nonsense. Which is why stories like the angry rainbow woman are so great--they're straight from the source, and the source believes what they've written.

I wasn't asking for more end of the world links. I was asking for more links about "stuff and nonsense" pages/websites/etc., similar to that end of the world nonsense.

I think I know this guy from TF Central (which has gone defunct). The Equine Dream Foundation. From the homepage:
Quote:
The mission of the Equine Dream Foundation is to bring true morphological freedom to every person who wants it. ... Just a short time ago it would be utterly impossible and unthinkable to change your gender, change your eye color, change your facial features, or change the color of your skin. All these things have now been done! What we want to accomplish is to expand these possibilities until there is absolutely nothing that you cannot change about yourself. That is morphological freedom. The freedom to transform yourself in any way you want, be that as simple a transformation as getting in shape, or as complex as transforming yourself into your favorite animal.

Scotty

PrincessB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds familiar, I don't recognize the website but it seems I've heard of folks saying that sort of stuff. (Oddly it brought to mind a website that someone posted somewhere before that gave how to's to having sex with various animals and I mean step by step. Don't know why it made me think of that)

The sprinkler conspiracy video has been removed from failblog but I found it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c6HsiixFS8

Here is her youtube channel with some other amusing things: http://www.youtube.com/dbootsthediva

I'm watching a long one right now that kind of seems to jump around a bit but part of it said that poisoned food and toys from China are good because if they made things better it would cost more so really China is our friend. O.o

PrincessB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of hers^: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNmu05Yu5Y4
At one point she says "I can't take a step without falling into things" my first thought was well stay off the booze. What I find interesting is she uses many scientific type terms so she basically doesn't seem to be just some inbred yokel sitting on her front porch drinking beer and wondering if it's a conspiracy that the birds fly in a v or something. She doesn't seem flat out stupid just, urm, interesting.

This was linked on her site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLYrSfnsqb0
Kind of long but if you watch it with an open mind (no preconceived notions) it could easily make you afraid to consume many things. Course if you listen to the health "experts" they to will make you feel afraid to eat anything. Listen to enough of them and eventually every food will be told as being bad for your health and cause weight gain.

Chris Regan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In looking at my You Tube account I found this dance-off between Obama & McCain. It is not the real men but it was put together really well hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzyT9-9lUyE

Crystal Dragon Raccoon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Amalthea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO3On8PQa6I

The Crying Wolf
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a site that sounds very serious and scientific, but is still something different, check out this one.

All I'm going to say is take it with a grain (or sack) of salt. It caused a pretty funny news incident in California a few years back. HInt: try to remember your basic chemistry (and translate the name of the site).

No spoilers posted, please. I want everyfur to enjoy this one.

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
Chris Regan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalthea the condom skit was so funny, my laugher brought Mike out of the computer room.

Crystal Dragon Raccoon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicolai Borovskaya wrote:
If you want a site that sounds very serious and scientific, but is still something different, check out this one.

< nods > I'll drink to that.

Have you seen Britney Spears' Guide to Semiconductor Physics?

The Rockwell Retro Entabulator is a joke. Actually I think it's a training vid for narrators as there are many variations of the script and many companies have done a version (Rockwell has 2). Apparently this goes back well before 1997. Sun Microsystems even has a version they call a Heisenberg Compensator.

S-

Chris Regan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottyDM wrote:
Nicolai Borovskaya wrote:

< nods > I'll drink to that.

The Rockwell Retro Entabulator is a joke. Actually I think it's a training vid for narrators as there are many variations of the script and many companies have done a version (Rockwell has 2). Apparently this goes back well before 1997. Sun Microsystems even has a version they call a Heisenberg Compensator.

S-

O Brother what a joke Rockwell Retro Entabulator is!

Crystal Dragon Raccoon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: