Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Werewolves, FVR, and the "magic bullet..."
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pflarrian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Werewolves, FVR, and the "magic bullet..." Reply with quote

Hiya, to anyone who has read FVR, here's a question for you. Keeping in mind that convention arms in that setting WILL kill a werewolf if you deal out enough damage in a short enough timespan...

If YOU were a werewolf hunter, what weapons would YOU use? ^0o^

- Pflarrian

Asalis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the facts as you placed in the story and assuming it actually has hunters, then they would probably already know by now what is and isn't myth so i'd probably go with weapons that inflict mass damage or if going the route of capture and retrieval then i'd use some highly potent and very fast acting poison though it's effectiveness would be in question considering the lack of information you provided in that department.

However if looking to shoot to kill, then the more likely choice would probably be high callibur weaponry or possibly fully automatics. The more easily available would probably be the AK-47 given it's versatility and easy access on most black markets.

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-203 Granade Lancher one to the chest or gut and it's raining ware bits

Skazwolf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say anything that would cause dismemberment or put enough rounds into a werewolf to incapacitate it regardless of its strength. So 1) high rate of fire, 2) very powerful rounds, or 3) explosive weapons.

Styx wrote:
M-203 Granade Lancher one to the chest or gut and it's raining ware bits

Times six, Milkor MGL:

Very Happy
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The traditional weapon of choice in Romania is iron pitchforks, scythes, or even smack the thing with the edge of a shovel. According to Romanian lore, if you wound a werewolf it's forced to change back into human form--then you can capture it.

Hollywood's been smokin' somethin'.

S-

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claymore charges and tripwires...

I'd say it depends on what you want to achieve and what happens when they're hurt, but generally, I'd pick 'area' weapons as werewolves can be FAST, and you may not have the luxury of aiming.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Silverstreak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I... wouldn't want to hunt them. I'm not the kind of guy who goes around senselessly shooting creatures.
racky raccoon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more up on vampire lore but i would say something like a heavy axe or ball and chain mace would be the most traditional methods.

I think some one stated Romanian lore on the way they revert, thats right on the money gotta be a BIG hit though.

If you are writing on ones that don't revert good ol 12 gauge. to be honest you have a creature thats going to close in on you fast you need a short powerful weapon.

I saw a grenade launcher on this thread, to me thats to hit and miss a WW would be on you before you could hit him id use it to fire smoke or flash bangs.

Stun grenades would be a kit no WW hunter would leave behind.

A personal fav would be the flamer thrower (but you'd need volunteers to be fearless).

Submachine guns COULD be good, but yous need large rounds to fell one.

I saw one wepson the other day thinking on it that could be just up your street, it was a 1920s weapon favored by female gangsters and one being a WW2 nut just couldnt resist.

A sawn off BAR it has thee good things going for it:

1) large rounds
2) SPRAY AND PAY
3) Light enough for anyone to use.

magnums would be good but with only 6 rounds i wouldn't want to miss.

Me I wouldn't want to. I'm not a killer but a side arm of a Browning High Power (the Browning L9A1 is my actual side arm) its only a 9mm but has 13 rounds (yup 13 of the buggers) Im sure 13 9mm rounds to the face would pulp the puppy... thats if it didn't take my face off first.

I saw a picture online of a Russian lady adding a wooden stock to her hi power with 13 rounds it makes a good stop gap Sub machine gun.

Wow I love Hi Powers Wink

-Mike Regan-
I want a Lawyer, a Doctor... A CHEESE SANDWICH
-Harley Quinn-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Major Ivy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverstreak wrote:
I... wouldn't want to hunt them. I'm not the kind of guy who goes around senselessly shooting creatures.

I have read FVR and they are not hunting the werewolves, the werewolves are hunting them. The humans in the story need a weapon to stop an attack like the one in the last chapter. So they are not senselessly killing, they are trying to keep the werewolves from killing them. Also if I read the story right the FVR humans are vastly out numbered by the werewolves there.
tobi3B

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Eagle caliber 50 AE

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my primary weapon, I would choose the Kriss Vector SMG .45ACP submachine gun. They have developed a unique design and mechanism that really tames the recoil, and a .45 pumping out 600-800 rounds per minute will stop just about anything it hits. Of course, a 30 round magazine will only last 2-3 seconds, and that's the biggest mag they're offering right now.

Sorry about the text, but that's the best picture I can find right now.

They're also offering a semi-auto only carbine, with a 16" barrel. The SMG has a 5.5" barrel.

If you're using hollow points, you can always add some crushed garlic, packed in the hollow point. Twisted Evil

For my backup, I would prefer a ParaOrdnance Tac4 or Springfield XD45, but I'd actually be carrying a Glock 21, since the Glock magazines are compatible with the Kriss. (The ParaOrd and Springfield mags are not.)

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
Alexi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racky raccoon wrote:

A sawed off BAR it has thee good things going for it:

1) large rounds
2) SPRAY AND PAY
3) Light enough for anyone to use.

As a military man and a man who grew up in and out of a gun shop. The B.A.R. (Browning Automatic Rifle) has one very large draw back, especially the sawed off version.

Recoil.

Even infamous little Bonny had to ride the pony when she squeezed off a mag. Hence the "Spray and Pray" mentality. You're just hitting the trigger and spaying a load of lead down range in a very erratic and wild pattern. Larger guys could still be somewhat accurate, but with that rate of 7.62 X 54 mm shells flying around, accuracy wasn't really a concern. You where going to hit something and it was going to get ripped to shreds. I use a 303 British Lee Enfield rifle for my home and it's a competative sized round (Slightly larger but not by much.) a single FMJ (full metal jacket) has enough kinetic energy, that anything I hit inside my effective range is torn open just on the hydralic cavitation of the round. Upgrade to a hollow point or, God's forbid, a soft point hunting round and you can pretty much garuntee an amputation or out right decapitation if you score a shot in their melon.

I wouldn't take a BAR unless you are willing to subject your shoulder to the rampant abuse that one will deal out or, if sawed off, be willing to suck up the collateral damage you will inevitably create.

My recomendation is the use (If allowed) the 12 guage rounds I have for home defence. Dump the shot from any buck shot or game load and replace it with a sufficiant quantity of linolium floor tacks. Great for intruders, even the fury kind.
Skazwolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BAR is still a bit on the heavy side though. And a 20-round magazine for an "automatic rifle." Why not a 7.62x51mm rifle like the M14 (which was the replacement for the BAR iirc) or the FN FAL?
Pflarrian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajorIvy wrote:
I have read FVR and they are not hunting the werewolves, the werewolves are hunting them. The humans in the story need a weapon to stop an attack like the one in the last chapter. So they are not senselessly killing, they are trying to keep the werewolves from killing them. Also if I read the story right the FVR humans are vastly out numbered by the werewolves there.

Forgive me for what I am about to do, but I'm laughing so hard I can't stop so I HAVE to say it.

MajorIvy, have you looked at the name of the author of that series, and then the name of the person who posted the question?

I *KNOW* there aren't many humans there. I KNOW the werewolves outnumber them. How do I know this? I wrote the story!

Why do you think I'm trying to come up with werewolf hunting weaponry? Twisted Evil

Oh... and did I forget to mention that I sent Mike a new chapter for FVR a couple of days ago? Knew I forgot to say something. *looks innocent*

- Pflarrian

Alexi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valhalla_Wolf wrote:
The BAR is still a bit on the heavy side though. And a 20-round magazine for an "automatic rifle." Why not a 7.62x51mm rifle like the M14 (which was the replacement for the BAR iirc) or the FN FAL?

The BAR was fazed out buy the M1 Garand, also known affectionately as "the thumb buster." (Ask me how I know this.) It was still in 30.06 but lighter and easier to work and carry. It also was sadly semi auto but marines marksmanship made that a non issue with the addition of the browning 1919, belt fed.

The M14 was the replacement for the garand.

Easy mistake as they are both burly rifles in the same cal. but one is a brute to shoot while the other is a great rifle if you have the shoulder to take the workout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: