Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SiasfL - Stranger in a strangely familiar Land - Act 1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bearion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good chapter, Nameless! Very believable up to the point where Sarah insisted they share a bed...um, I can't see that as it IS her parents home, she IS their little girl (age has nothing to do with it), and she IS unmarried at the moment... <grin>

I agree with Concolor: Chris is going to need all the friends in his corner he can get! Going "public" has it's own dangers however as the loss of privacy comes with being a celebrity. In the long run, the public has a short attention span if he can just wait it out.

Hmmmm....isn't Zig always on the lookout for celebrities? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearion wrote:
Hmmmm....isn't Zig always on the lookout for celebrities? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Shocked Hmmm, do you think he should start running right about now ? Wink

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearion wrote:
Another good chapter, Nameless! Very believable up to the point where Sarah insisted they share a bed...um, I can't see that as it IS her parents home, she IS their little girl (age has nothing to do with it), and she IS unmarried at the moment... <grin>

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I can easily understand that her parents don't approve, but I'm not sure it would make that much difference to Sarah whether she is her parents' house or somewhere else. Confused
But then again, what do I really know about these things. Rolling Eyes

Bearion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless wrote:
Bearion wrote:

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I can easily understand that her parents don't approve, but I'm not sure it would make that much difference to Sarah whether she is her parents' house or somewhere else. Confused
But then again, what do I really know about these things. Rolling Eyes

I just remember what MY parents told ME when I was 18+...and how I would feel about it with my kids. I'm old fashioned I guess, but it comes down to respect for the parents. It IS their HOME, and they make the rules. But you could chalk this up to baggage we all carry with us, too.

In Sarah's time and place, it might be OK...so take my comment with a pound of salt. Wink

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearion wrote:
In Sarah's time and place, it might be OK...so take my comment with a pound of salt. Wink

Well, you have to remember that at that point in time Sarah was pretty angry with her parents for the way they treated Chris.
(They get there after a six hour drive and her father starts interrogating him without even offering him a drink first.)

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good chapter I really liked this one a really tense moment with the parents I must say though I was a little surprised at Sarah's relatively timid response when her father referred to any future children she and Chris might have as "monstrosities" I somehow how imagined a somewhat stronger response but then she may well still be intimidated by her parents even at her age, I am very glad that the issue does seem to have been concluded on a positive note. Now I do have one bit of advice umm and I do realize that this is really petty and nit picking and I wouldn't mention it except that I have a real anal compulsive sort of need for things like this so please just ignore it if you like it in no way interferes with my enjoyment of the story but.... this story is taking place in the U.S. and is centered on Characters born in the U.S. so Sarah would be addressing her mother as "Mom" rather then "Mum" as is used in the U.K. Embarassed It's a rather stupid thing to point out I know, as I said I only mention it out of a compulsive need (I'm really upset with my folks for doing this to me too) so again ignore it if you like either way it's still a great story.

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
but.... this story is taking place in the U.S. and is centered on Characters born in the U.S. so Sarah would be addressing her mother as "Mom" rather then "Mum" as is used in the U.K. Embarassed

Embarassed Well, chalk it up to me not being a native speaker. Wink And to writing about things I don't really know anything about.
I know that there are plenty of differences between UK and US usage but I did not know about that one. Well, I am always glad when someone points such mistakes out to me. I'm not sure if I will change the story, but it is good to know.
(And there are always people who use their language a bit different than most others around them, often for very personal reasons.)

mwalimu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although 'Mom' is more common this side of the Atlantic, one does hear 'Mum' from time to time. I wouldn't consider it an error as is. Sort of like using 'row' (rhymes with 'cow') to mean a fight or argument.

For what it's worth, I believe 'Mum' is also the more common term down under.

By the way, I just recently read this story. My first thought was something like you have a thing for squirrels named Sarah, don't you, but I've enjoyed what you've written so far.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwalimu wrote:
My first thought was something like you have a thing for squirrels named Sarah, don't you, but I've enjoyed what you've written so far.

From the FAQ from the other story where "she" appears:
FAQ wrote:

Is Sara the same person as Sarah from SiasfL ?

No, Yes, Maybe.

When I was waiting for the permissions to use the characters by other authors in my other story "SiasfL", at one point I became quite depressed and despaired of ever being able to put that story up. So I began to think about other ways to use my characters. This is what I came up with in the middle of the night.
And then my muse would not stop whipping me until I wrote this down.

Apart from that...
Well, I do have a thing for squirrels (and most others that have a pretty tail). Embarassed

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless wrote:
Well, I do have a thing for squirrels (and most others that have a pretty tail). Embarassed

*Exceedingly Big Evil Grin* Well, that's one taste we definitely have in common.

Cheers,
Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Furry wolf2001b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cateagle wrote:
Nameless wrote:

*Exceedingly Big Evil Grin* Well, that's one taste we definitely have in common.

Cheers,
Cateagle

Got it in common with -alot- of males. Very Happy
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck, chapter 11 is posted. Smile

It's not nearly as polished as I would like, Confused and it might seem a little contrieved in places, but so what.

Have fun. Very Happy

One or two of my readers might be a little surprised by what happens in this chapter... Twisted Evil

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::Chuckle:: You slipped some interesting surprises in there. You may not consdier it polished, but I found it quite a good read.

*two oposeable thumbs up*

Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mwalimu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cateagle wrote:
::Chuckle:: You slipped some interesting surprises in there. You may not consdier it polished, but I found it quite a good read.

*two oposeable thumbs up*

One of the surprises, though unexpected, didn't have quite the same impact due to a very similar occurrence in one of your other stories (trying not to spoil it here for anyone who hasn't read the other story). Nevertheless, some interesting developments.

Two dewclaws up.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Concolor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice, even paw with the plot development, there! I'm dreadfully curious as to what the "good" Doctor wants with Chris.

Sarah's predicament strikes me as rather odd. Even given the "mirror-dimension" aspect of Chris' placement in Sarah's world, I'd have bet the farm there was no way she could get pregnant. If one accepts evolution at face value, there is more likelihood of Sarah being able to successfully mate with a radish than with someone from a different dimension.

But that's just my $0.02.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> nameless All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: