Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A sad state of affairs.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cringe*

*CRINGE*

*cry*

As you said, Mike... funny and sad at the same time. What has education in this poor world become? Has it any value left at all?

Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason people are so stupid, is because nobody is punished for being stupid.

AKA Mogthemoogle
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, that's not just an American problem...

One of my co-workers is on the interview board, and must of course read through any applications first.
He sometimes reads them out for the rest of us at IT(keping nams and such to himself, of course)...

Some of the younger applicants actually use 1337-speak or SMS-lingo in their applications!
(Not a good idea when applying to a government office where the average age is 35 - 40 or thereabout. )

In fact, most dyslectics write better than what the youths 'write' today.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Major Ivy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Government meddling.
The Federal Government gives a school a certain amount of money for each student they graduate. They do not say that student actually learned anything, just that the school listed them as a graduate. So if one is held back because they did not learn the school loses money.

Attempts to test have also seen the similar level of fixing.

We had a thing called the 'Dennison List' at my job.
This was one of those 'Affirmative Action' things where you must have a certain number of females and minorities in all jobs regardless of their suitability for said job.

A group of random employees was given a test. Management then took the lowest score from the group, not the average but the very lowest. They took 70% of that and declared it to be the passing score for the D List people. This grading method was applied only to female and minority applicants. For each 'normal' scored hire they would hire one from the D List.

How did this list start? Simple, a minority male claimed the 'race card' and the PC folks bowed down. After it was finally tossed out as the damage became plain, it took years to 'clean up the garbage'.

The D List in reality hurt the minorities and women more than anything. Because they were pushed in the public's face to show how Affirmative Action was being complied with, and so many were complete incompetents, the ones that got in on their own merits were 'tarred with the same brush'. They were intelligent and well suited for the jobs they held but were lumped in with the rest. If the government had stayed out of it none of this would have happened.

In my section we had no women for the simple reason that none applied.
After they forced a bunch of secretaries into special training and gave them the jobs, 90% went back to the job they had because they did not want the one I had. Work outside, in any weather, at any time - night or day and respond at a moment's notice.
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: A sad state of affairs Reply with quote

I couldn't read the whole article-it was just too painful.

I've seen better grammar than that in the spam I get in my inbox.

Yeah, schools being forced to pass students. Sad.

I know; I work for a school district. Crying or Very sad

Kellan

Rabbit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read many times recently that the current crop of young people is the worst-educated in American history. Also, because we as a society are aging, the best-educated Americans are steadily dying off. The bad news is that this is the worst thing that can possibly happen to _any_ culture, and is evidence of a social failure so profound and so deep as to stagger the mind. The good news is that when I'm old, I still ought to be able to find work because I'll be one of the only ones left who knows how to read and write.

I recently visited Oakland, CA. While there, I stopped at several fast food places. Because I don't eat french fries, I never order "by the numbers". Instead, I specify the sandwich alone, along with a regular hamburger instead of a side-item. In Oakland, _none_ of the cashiers knew how to handle this. "I'd like a grilled chicken sandwich and a hamburger," I'd say.

"You mean a number five," the order-taker across the counter would reply, hitting the single button and smiling.

"No," I'd explain. "I mean, I want a chicken sandwich and a hamburger. Not a combo meal. And a large Coke, too."

Then the order-taker would grow frustrated or even angry. "Wouldn't you like a number five instead?"

Eventually the manager would have to be called, and once even _she_ didn't know how to ring up anything but combo meals. If this had only happened once, I wouldn't have thought anything of of it. But, by the third time, the pattern was so evident that I became deeply afraid for the future of my nation and my culture. Based on my experience, today's California-educated non-college-bound youth really _are_ that incompetent, as unbelievable as it seems...
PrincessB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sometimes amazed at some fast food workers inability to understand simple tasks (though many of these brain dead workers are gone in no time flat)
IronTiger and I sometimes hit the mcds here in town, my days at mcds there wasn't a thing you could bring to me that I couldn't understand or figure out. You could ask me to subtract or add a dozen things to a sandwich and I'd "type" that out in a moment.
Some workers at this local mcds (and we usually only see these bad workers once then never again) can't understand a simple change. We asked a worker a couple weeks ago to add mayo to my sandwich and mac sauce to IT's sandwich, she was continually confused and we had to repeat it 4 or 5 times and mine was still wrong.

I also am on a social site that has an advice area and I often see post from teens with the worst spelling and grammar and saying things like "im 14 n i m prego n i dunno wat 2 do" or "pepl think im dum but i lik am rely smart and i think pepl shuld stop asumin im stupid".
Sometimes I feel like my brain is dying because I am reading it and I always come away feeling very afraid for our future. Rolling Eyes

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rabbit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A Congress full of them making laws for us to live under.

We've had that for at least a decade now, near as I can tell.
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Just think.
Someday one of them will be in the White House with his finger on the button.

A Congress full of them making laws for us to live under.

Mike, stop scaring me!

Kellan

Syrius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubtful, Mike. The most thing they'll ever accomplish is repeat the issue with the kid that slams his face against a car bumper at 35 MPH. Just look on youtube for Bumper Facelift, and you'll see what I mean.
Kasyl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a high school senior, there are students (though they hardly deserve the term) in my class who can barely read at a middle school level (NOT special ed, either!) and/or can't figure out simple instructions on a piece of paper. Yet they always pass to the next grade, because then the district gets money from the state for the "achievements" of its students. Evil or Very Mad
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear gods...that's just scary...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kristie_kitten

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadly to say that is the state of public education in the US (mostly in the larger city area's like LA). Even when I was in my final year of Highschool I one of my elective class as an aid for my previous year US History teacher. It was sad and funny at the same time, there were 2 smart/average students in the class and the rest were just brain dead, as an example a simple quest witch the teacher asked, 'What year did the war of 1812 start?' and no one could answer it in 30 min. beside the 2 smart kids. Remind you this was 8 years ago and I was doing my best not to laugh or fall out of my seat from laughter.
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating. MajorIvy joined just to post on this topic? Must have been a long-time lurker. Welcome to the boards MI! Very Happy

PrincessB wrote:
... I often see post from teens with the worst spelling and grammar and saying things like "im 14 n i m prego n i dunno wat 2 do" or "pepl think im dum but i lik am rely smart and i think pepl shuld stop asumin im stupid".
Sometimes I feel like my brain is dying because I am reading it and I always come away feeling very afraid for our future. Rolling Eyes

Someone once wrote that posting a message full of grammatical and spelling errors was a bit like going to a party while wearing unwashed and wrinkled clothing. Lovely picture, eh?

Enjoyed the cover letters. Didn't understand some of them at all, but I enjoyed them.

S-

Concolor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabbit wrote:
I have read many times recently that the current crop of young people is the worst-educated in American history.

<Respectful *snip*>

Based on my experience, today's California-educated non-college-bound youth really _are_ that incompetent, as unbelievable as it seems...

It's that way all over. I work for a division of a major player in the pharmaceutical industry. In order to get a job here, the applicant (let's call him Jay) must apply through Manpower, the temp service. If he passes a VEERRRRY basic test of reading and math, he will come to work as a temp, on probation for six months. During that six-month period, he must, on his own time and with his own money, take a $200 Manufacturing Technology course from the local community college (across the street -- very handy) and pass it with a C+ or better. If Jay keeps his nose clean and passes the course, he comes on board as a regular employee, but on probation for another six months. If everything goes well after his first year, he becomes a "full-time" employee and gets a substantial raise.

It is not uncommon AT ALL to weed out 80% of the applicants at the first basic test level. Honestly, people will apply for a responsible position running a sophisticated piece of equipment that produces millions of gelatin capsules a day, the operation of which requires finesse, insight, and dedication . . . . . and they can't add a column of three two-digit numbers. Of those that do make it to the first probation, more than 50% will fail even to APPLY for the MT course, and of the ones that do, only about two-thirds will pass. We go through scores and scores of applications to get four or five decent workers. And then one or two of those will do something stupid, like come to work stoned, or try to cover up a documentation error, or any of a triple-dozen other goofball maneuvers that will get you fired on the spot. Bloody-near impossible to find, train, and keep good operators.

It is, indeed, very disheartening. And judging by the kids that play with my two youngest, it isn't getting any better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: