Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Notes from The Range, 2009
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Silver Coyote's Range
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She certainly has been a ray of sunshine around here, that's a fact.

Today I got her "papers" from GSROC. She's actually five years old, not four, which makes absolutely no difference to anyone here. She's all caught up on her shots and now I have supporting documentation that should make it much easier for me to get her licensed. And cheaper. Our city used to charge $8 for a neutered pet, $25 for one still in possession of all its parts.

I say "used to charge" because I'm sure the rates have gone up in the intervening three years since I last licensed a dog.

I also sent off $15 to AVID / PETtrac to have the information in her microchip updated. Now anyone that finds her and reads that chip will know not only where her home is, but also who her vet is and where she was adopted from. GSROC told us that they will always take back lost pets that have been adopted out by them and contact the owners. It's comforting knowing that even without any externally visible tags or identification she can still be identified and find her way to friends.

There is a certain peace around The Range these days whose absence I hadn't noticed until it returned with Kayla. To paraphrase what my friend Nancy said the other day: It's truly wonderful, the kind of love a furry friend can bring into ones life.

Say DF, how are you doing? I haven't seen much at your blog recently, are you on the road?

SC

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Kayla weighs more than it looks it probably means she's got a lot more muscle hidden under her fur than you'd expect. (Muscle is heavier than fat and fur... )

I wonder what her history is?

Maybe her previous owner was the outdoors type, and possibly had her carry her own food on her back. Can't hurt to see if she accept a load.

Her 'problem' with stairs can have many explanations.
Maybe her previous owner only had one floor, or maybe he never allowed her up to the top floor, and she just can't understand that she's allowed up there now?

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Hawke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silver Coyote wrote:

Stairs seem to confound her a bit, though. She takes them very slowly and ploddingly, and sometimes needs some coaxing. I wonder if she has some sort of joint pain, or whether she's just never lived in a house with stairs before. When she first came home she looked at them, and us using them, like they were some sort of magic.

haha, my dog is the complete opposite, we cant get him to not barrel up and down stairs. He keeps falling down because he loses his balance and slips. Although after like 4 months of having him hes slowing down.

"^HuK'D aWN FoNYCs WuRKD 4 MEEEEEE!!!!"
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Shepherd, Clancy, liked to zoom up and down our stairs when he was younger. Usually he made it down on all four paws, sometimes not. As he got older he slowed down, but he always seemed to have so much fun on those stairs.

Maybe that's why Kayla surprised us with her caution. It's just a sharp contrast to how our last pooch worked with stairs.

We finally heard her bark ... repeatedly. Seems our new pooch has a thing about fireworks that pop or boom. She's not afraid of them, but she sure does like to yell at them after they startle her ...

SC

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe she thinks someone is out duckhunting, and she can't understand where the ducks are falling down?
Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered privately if she hasn't had a bad experience with firearms. Like I said, she didn't seem scared, more like agitated bordering on angry. Each time (we heard fireworks twice) it took us about half a minute to get her to settle down.

In any event, we have now all heard her voice. This morning she barked at my younger son returning home from the mountains. She heard him approaching the door and let fly with an exclamation, but as soon as she saw him she stopped barking, and as soon as she smelled him her tail started wagging. At least I know she has a good short term memory.

Not much duck hunting around here, Anthony. Although down in Santa Ana the sound of firearms discharging is not all that uncommon, I don't think ducks have anything to do with the guns firing. Fortunately, around here where I live most of us keep our firearms in gun safes until we go to a range or out into the desert with them. Seems safer that way ...

SC

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see your new addition to the family is working out so well! Kayla is a very sweet looking girl.

Thanks for sharing 3099 with us. My mount, ol' "Four-nine-eight" as she is known, had suffered a trans failure, a bad airflow sensor and an untimely meeting with a Honda Accord. She also thinks 9 mpg is just fine and I shouldn't worry that she can't get out of her own way. She's currently been begging me for a new ignition lock. Cool

BTW, I still have more 'Wall Of Shame' photos from the current modernization work.

Slainte!

Kellan

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't blown up anything in 3099 yet, but have had the A/C overhauled twice and lost a rear tire at 70 MPH on the 55 freeway once. I have a picture of that somewhere ... oh yeah, here it is:

As I mentioned, 3099 doesn't handle well when things aren't functioning harmoniously. I gotta tell ya, that was one wild ride for about the next 300 yards as I decelerated from 70 to about 35, for a few moments it was anybody's guess where we were going to wind up.

I trust the Honda was not the winner of that particular cornfield meet you described for 498 ...

And by the way, 9 MPG seems to be a universal number for large vans ... yours, mine, the vanpool van my crew uses, all of 'em seem to get between 8 and 10, no matter the road, weather, or load conditions. My crew also has an '07 Ford E250 with the small block V8 and a four speed electronic autotrans and guess what? 9 MPG! 3099 only has a 20 gallon tank, which means I don't get too far afield before I start wondering where the nearest fuel supply is.

I hear Ford is going to introduce an electric full size van next year. Wonder if my employer will buy any?

SC

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tire...

Of course, I have to 'one up' you...

I don't have any pictures, though, but I once lost the righthand left tire on a car.
I had just passed a sharp curve and was accellerating back up to 80Km/H when I heard a bang, and I could feel a slight vibration in my car...
I stopped, thinking that I had something stuck to the car.
In reality, I was missing half the bl**dy tire. The ENTIRE sidewall was missing!
(I was driving a Citroën GS at the time, and those have 'special' rear wheelwells. When the tire deflated it touched the outer panel, and was just ripped off as if it was cheese dragged across a grater)

Seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HK2nTRvm_s

Like my Avatar?
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that you driving the GS?

That's pretty interesting, especially if they did nothing to the vehicle or it's loading to allow that. It must have a very equalized rear suspension. I can't think of any American car that would do that, you'd just grind off the brake drum or rotor and pretty soon be grinding on the axle housing itself ...

That doesn't work well with aircraft, either. I've seen a few touch down with one leg still tucked up in a wing, invariably that winds up with at least some wrinkled aluminum and a ruined propeller or two.

Thanks for the video, Anthony. Don't you currently own a GS, or am I thinking of someone else?

SC

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not me.

But it perfectly demonstrates how well the hydro-pneumatic suspension works.
(that, and the fact that the rear is narrower than the front is what keeps it stable.)
It's not possible to do the same with a missing front wheel, though.
Also, the Citroën CX Estate can NOT drive on 3 wheels.
(it's too wide at the rear. )

And no, I don't have a GS at the moment.
My first was a 1975 GS Pallas. Retired (recycled as nails or whatever) when the oil-cooler burst, but by then I was already driving a 1984 Citroën Cx (Incidentally, 'Cx' is also used to indicate aerodynamic eficciency... )
That car still exists, but won't be going anywhere as the engine is dead. Really dead.
(The car was 1.24Tons, so we haven't tried towing to the scrapyard yet)
My third, was a 1987 Citroën BX Estate. Loved and well-cared for. Until a 6WD dump-truck backed over it.
Now I drive a 1998 Citroën Berlingo, currently getting its 1.4L engine replaced.
(Lubrication problem has caused 'some damage' to the innards. and after only 215.000Km, too. I think I should complain to Citroën)

Note, the 'Pallas' designation on the GS meant that it had a whopping 1.2L engine, with 60 screaming horses under the bonnet. (Standard models only had a 1L 45HP engine)
The negine is an air-cooled boxer motor(flat 4) with alloy cylinder tops. It wasn't heavier than that I could carry it myself. (I tried, when I changed the clutch)

Like my Avatar?
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't grouse much, but dammit SC, that just isn't fair. Bad enough that disease is slowly stealing him, but does it bloody well have to humiliate him as well? Gah.

Sorry, rant off. Our prayers are with you and yours, and your dad. And thank the Lord for angels. And nurses....wait, those are the same things.

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good gods ...

I just read your blog, and know that I will keep you in my prayers. It's fall equinox next tuesday and with your permission, SC, I will make a toast for your father and say a little prayer for him. And for the rest of your family.

Only with your permission of course ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Teric

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gosh, SC... I'm really sorry to hear that about your father. Both he and your family will be in my prayers.
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your thoughts, everyone. Sorry I'm three days behind the power curve, here. I've had some very long evenings recently and little sleep in between.

Filly, you don't need my permission for anything. I consider your offer a sweet and generous thing, exactly on par with wishes from Tigermark and Teric.

I'll keep blogging as my senses and time permit. For the moment we all appear to be doing OK, so I'd say your toasts, thoughts, and prayers are working, not only for him but also for my mom.

I am truly blessed with friends such as you ...

More later,

SC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Silver Coyote's Range All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: