Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Research on Furry Group Identity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Introductions / Departures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snaffoj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Research on Furry Group Identity Reply with quote

Hello everyone!!

My name is Leigh Carver, and I am a 20 year old Communication major at Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas. I am currently enrolled in a class on Games for the Web and am in the process of researching furries in gameplay mechanics and digital subculture. I was hoping to be able to interview any willing members of this board (ages 18 and up) for my paper. I have read several threads here and am impressed by the level of maturity and friendliness I've seen in your forums, your posts, and your rules.

I am specifically looking at furries in game worlds as well as the subcultural contrasts between Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and Second Life, and was thus hoping to talk to any of you who may have played Vanguard or other similar MMOs. Input is also more than welcome from you SLers as well.

I would like to give you all a bit of information about myself as a person before asking you to make a decision whether to assist me with my project. I am currently in my third year of study and hope to attain my Bachelor of Arts in Communication with minors in English and Computer Science in May 2010. I was raised in Austin, Texas, and I am passionate about technology and video games. Though the majority of my gaming experience has been on consoles, I do have MMO experience and played Final Fantasy XI for roughly a year. I have been playing on the Vanguard Server Seradon as a rogue (my name is Asteraceae SoCo) since September of this year as a part of my Games for the Web class, and I hope to continue playing Vanguard once I have finished with my research paper, which is our final project for this semester.

Please consider my request; I would very much like to speak with you all and I guarantee that your identities will be protected. Anyone interested in participating should read through the consent form, which is posted on my class blog(http://snaffoj.livejournal.com/). All interview comments I receive will be anonymous, and all names will be changed in my final paper, which will be uploaded to the internet on the class website (http://www.trinity.edu/adelwich/vanguard/students.html). The class FAQ can be found here: (http://www.trinity.edu/adelwich/vanguard/faq.html). If anyone has any questions or would like to speak to me privately, my email is [email protected]. I have AIM, gMail, and MSN (all of which are on my profile) and I would be glad to speak to anyone who would like to talk to me.

Thank you all very much for your time, and I hope to get to know you all better soon!

Yours,
Leigh Carver
[email protected]
Kelvin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! I'll do it! Send me a PM, OK? Oh, by the way, here ya go. *gives a welcome muffin*
Discord: kelvin#0465
Silverstreak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, don't eat the muffin!--

snaffoj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Midi: It won't let me until I've posted five times, so I can spam this thread (I'd rather not) or I can shoot you an email. Which would you prefer?

@ Silverstreak: Sad Was there an explosive in the muffin? Sad day. Awesome picture, btw. Where is it from?
Kasyl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 and up? Grr, missed it by six months.
snaffoj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kasyl, if your parents sign off on the consent form then it's completely legit. That super stinks, though. Sad
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Vanguard for a wile but got tired of the crafting system, they did a poor job with the wolf, fox and feline player models (didn't even have tails a slap in the face to any fur!) I have also played EQ and EQ2 they did a much better job on the anthro models eventhogh EQs graphics are a bit out of date.

Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really play many computer games anymore, just not interested. My favorite console games were furry, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, and Spyro.

As far as games go I'm more a pencil and paper RPGer give me Paladium or Basic Role Playing any day. I don't really consider things like Final Fantasy an RPG.

I haven't gotten into things like Second Life because I'm afraid I'd get addicted to it, like I was to chat rooms for a long time, but if what happened with it were like what happened with World of Warcraft I'd be off in two months.

snaffoj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if you guys are no longer playing the games- I would still really like your input and thoughts about it.

So, who may I interview? Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you're interested!!
GriffinX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude i tryed to use your e-mail about 10 times and for some reason it wouldn't work if you would contact me thats ok. [email protected]
http://www.freewebs.com/griffinxango/
Asalis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Sanaffoj, I'd be more than happy to help you with any questions you might have. On Second Life I am a Second Life mentor as well as a furry. You wouldn't be the first whose asked about both Second Life and the furry community on it. If you have any questions then you can always shoot me an e-mail. The link for it should be below my post.

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Teric

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Snaffoj. I am a professional game developer, avid online gamer, and a proud furry. I'd be happy to help out your project if I can. I have played World of Warcraft since release (November 2004), and I played Everquest, Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot, and Star Wars Galaxies before that.

rwilson @ svsgames . com

snaffoj

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much to everyone who has volunteered to help out, and also to those of you who have contacted me! I really appreciate every last bit of feedback, and I'm sorry it is taking me a while to get to some of you-- I'm completely swamped by finals! I'll be emailing and PMming most of you hopefully sometime within the next few days.

Again, thanks a ton!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Introductions / Departures All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: