Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad Spot On The Server's HD?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Bad Spot On The Server's HD? Reply with quote

Today, while uploading the latest chapter on one of my stories, FTP said that the file went through fine, though it took from what I thought was longer than normal for a 10K file.

I tested the file by viewing it on the browser, and in the middle of it was an html horiztonal bar with the words "TRANSFER INTERUPTED" above it. The story continued but with several sentences missing from that area.

I checked it on the other browsers on my sysem on this end, the same thing on the same place.

I deleted the via FTP, and up loaded it again. Tested it, same problem, same place. My experience, and actions in this situation, is to rename the file into something else and upload the file again, so it would take up a different spot on the hard drive. That solved the problem, and I deleted the offending file.

Is there some hard drive maintenence application for the server? I think, even if it means shutting down PF for a while, to run such a program to clean up the hard drive(s).

Just letting you know that I found.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Gabriel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky has mentioned the hard drive issues with the current server. The RAID keeps failing and one hard drive keeps getting knocked offline. @.@

That may have something to do with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. you could try Spinrite. I think I've heard that it works alright - though, I can't ssay I've seen it work for myself. It IS $90 US, though... I'm sure there's other options out there, it's just that I haven't looked. This one just sprang to mind...

Lindsay
Nite
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think will work, cause I'm pretty sure all of Whip's computer run Linux-based servers.
Stormwalker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reckon? this was posted on the website:

Quote:

...snip...
SpinRite is able to operate on all Windows XP NTFS formats, all DOS FAT, all Linux file systems, Novell
...snip...

As I said, I've never seen this program in action, so I'm just going off teh website here... *shrug* At $90, i'm sure there's better things to be spending the money on - there's got to be some freeware programs out there, or some under the Linux GPL, or whatever it's called. (Sorry, it's 2am here... brain not working too good...)

Lindsay
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, SpinRite cannot run from inside Linux, and I don't trust Wine well enough to handle low-level device management.

By having the hard drive partitions in a software RAID-1 configuration, there is a lot of stress imposed on the drives due to the excessive amounts of read/writes that have to take place.

Elfen, what kind of file were you trying to download? HTML? Where did the message "TRANSFER INTERUPTED" appear? In the browser's status bar, or somewhere in the middle of the page?
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No disrespect to you, Stormwalker...

The software in question might be what the doc ordered, but as a (former) server owner/operator, I can tell you that we as a group tend to go for what works for us in the past and continue to stay with it until that sad day we get burnt by it.

Being a Mac Guy since '84- for me that would be Norton, and even under my former BSD-MacPPC server when I had it running, it was Norton that I used to fix it (through a secondary HD boot to get Mac OS running on it). For me that worked fine... OK, it drove my friends crazy, but what the hey, for me it works.

Whip may have some crazy worlock brew to pour down the vents of his server but that the way he does things. I know I have mine Mr. Green

SpinRite sounds like a good product, but as far as I know, none of us have tried or used it. And like a bullet proof vest, it might be nice to have, but none of us want to get it tested...

Lets hope this turns out for the best.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whip-lash wrote:
...By having the hard drive partitions in a software RAID-1 configuration, there is a lot of stress imposed on the drives due to the excessive amounts of read/writes that have to take place.

Elfen, what kind of file were you trying to download? HTML? Where did the message "TRANSFER INTERUPTED" appear? In the browser's status bar, or somewhere in the middle of the page?

It was on HTML file, with a horizontal bar going through the document, as described above. Too bad I did not take a picture of the screen, maybe next time I will. But like I said, renaming the file and uploading a new one fixed it. Unfortunately, I deleted the old one.

The RAID is in Software? Well, so is Apple's first gen. G4 XServes... I think they went to hardware on the G5 Xserves (I hope!). I know the headaches they give me at work.

Stormwalker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
No disrespect to you, Stormwalker...

None taken, Elfen Very Happy As I said, I've never heard too much about it, nor seen it in action. I have zero experience in the IT field (beyond currently doing a Science/IT double degree), so anyone with any kind of admin experience is WAY more credible than me Smile However, I can see why you would stay with tried and true techniques - they work Razz

And Whip-Lash - I'm not sure if that's been there a while, but I love your location Cool (shortened IPv6 loop-back, right?)

Lindsay - who now proof-reads his posts BEFORE posting...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: