Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PHP Upgrade (attempt)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> System News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: PHP Upgrade (attempt) Reply with quote

In about 15 minutes I will be attempting to upgrade PHP on this server to a more recent version. This will take the web server and PHP functionality down at times. The rest of the server will be available, however, including email, ftp, etc. Hopefully, the upgrade should go smoothly.
Gabriel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! I hope it works. Just for attempting it, I love you. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabriel wrote:
Woohoo! I hope it works. Just for attempting it, I love you. Wink

Apparently it works... It's running 4.3.3. I'm trying to find out how Ensim compiled PHP so I can upgrade it all the way to 4.3.8, but I'm not having any luck. >.<

Anyways, let me know if you have any problems. The RPM's I used were built by someone who works at Ensim, but are not an official release... so if there are any problems, I need to know about them as soon as possible.
Gabriel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean about how they compiled it, but hey, 4.3.3 is high enough that CPGNuke should work properly now. They also released a bug fix of CPGNuke yesterday, so I'm going to install it and see what happens.

I'll keep you abreast of the situation.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://kaisha.cx/phpinfo.php

Will tell you what was used for the 'configure command'. I don't know if that's what you were looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partially, however this part I was already able to see. Ensim has used patch files to change small sections of the PHP source code itself before compiling it. Unfortunately, once compiled I cannot see what was changed in the source, and Ensim will not release the source RPM's (or spec file and patches used) for the version of Webppliance the server is currently running. Likely this is because the PHP license does not force them to release it. Mad
Gabriel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh. On the new server you're dropping Ensim though, right? You mentioned possibly doing things more "manual", as I recall.

Oh, and just as an aside, did Ensim release an update for the MySQL build yet? I'm just wondering, honest. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are working great so far. GD2 was even installed instead of GD1, and seems superior. The only 'bug' is phpinfo reports GIF reading is enabled, and it doesn't seem to handle them so well. Wink Ah well!
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whip-lash wrote:
Partially, however this part I was already able to see. Ensim has used patch files to change small sections of the PHP source code itself before compiling it. Unfortunately, once compiled I cannot see what was changed in the source, and Ensim will not release the source RPM's (or spec file and patches used) for the version of Webppliance the server is currently running. Likely this is because the PHP license does not force them to release it. Mad

You know, if I was granted shell access to the machine, I could take inventory of where MySQL was storing everything and do a manual config/compile based on that information of the latest MySQL so that it installed everything to the proper locations.

It's not hard to do. Once you find where the binaries, libaries, logs and databases are stored, just pull down the base TAR source, run a "configure --help" to get all the configure options you need to set and then build it. I do it all the time.

Leme know.

Cheers

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikaru wrote:
You know, if I was granted shell access to the machine, I could take inventory of where MySQL was storing everything and do a manual config/compile based on that information of the latest MySQL so that it installed everything to the proper locations.

It's not hard to do. Once you find where the binaries, libaries, logs and databases are stored, just pull down the base TAR source, run a "configure --help" to get all the configure options you need to set and then build it. I do it all the time.

I know, but trust me, I've tried. With this version of Ensim, they "Ensimized" several packages, including Apache, PHP, MySQL... heck, even Squirrelmail.

When I mean "Ensimized", I mean what I said earlier concerning them "patching" several source files before actually compiling them. They actually change the source code to work with their environment, and for whatever reason they thought was necessary or suited them. And because of the licenses with programs like PHP, Apache, MySQL, etc., they are not obligated to release said patches.

They have released the source RPM's (containing spec files and patches) for a newer version of their software, but they completely abandoned the version I'm using. Their latest version, which I've already upgraded to as far as licensing goes, is far less "Ensimized", which allows me to use the stock Fedora Core 1 RPMs, or build my own.

I've tried building MySQL, PHP, Apache, etc. all according to the makefile configure options I can see, or even one's I thought would be beneficial to the server, but because of those missing patch files, it causes interoperability between those services and Ensim's control panel to break.

On the new server the version of Ensim will be much more up to date, along with software like Apache, PHP, etc. As a precaution, I'm also using VMware to host mini-servers for specialized environments, in case there is a problem with whatever is left that is Ensimized on the primary box. The primary box would act as a proxy/firewall to the virtual machines inside it.

Speaking of new servers, I'm pricing out the new box. How does this look:
Code:
Pre-Tested and Setup Intel P4 Barebones System                          $18.00

Case: 100856 - PS 350W - Antec SX635BII Performance Seri                $75.00
Motherboard: 110856 - Intel BOXD865GBFLK 865G Audio/Video/LAN/U         $113.00
Processor: 120152 - Intel P4 Prescott 3.0 GHz 800 FSB 1M (HT)           $229.00
Memory: 140693 - DDR (400) 3200 - 1 GB (2 pcs 512) OCZ                  $195.00
Warranty: 800036 - Motherboard-CPU Warranty - 3 Year w/30 Da            $29.95
Thermal Grease: 800018 - Shin-Etsu G675 Thermal Grease                  $13.00
Case Fan: 100886 - 80mm - Antec 80mm SmartCool Case Fan                 $19.50
(3) Maxtor (6Y080P0) DiamondMax Plus 9 80 GB 8MB Cache 7200 RPM ATA 133 $237.00

Order Total:    $929.45
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might think about going with a SATA RAID array. SATA drives are increadibly cheap and fast. The raid cards are inexpensive too.

Just an option to consider.

As for the motherboard, I personally only use ASUS or Tyan for reliability.

Cheers

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this quote look?

Code:
100856  Antec SX635BII Performance Series II ATX Mini-Tower w/350 watt (Black)  1       $75.00  $75.00
        Case Fan: 100886 - 80mm - Antec 80mm SmartCool Case Fan                         $19.50  $19.50
        2nd Case Fan: None
110850  Asus P4G800-V 865G SATA/LAN/USB/AGP 8X/Audio DDR 400 ATX 800FSB Intel   1       $95.00  $95.00
        Warranty: 800746 - 60 Day Monarch / 3 Year Manufacturer Dire
140693  1 GB DDR (2 pcs 512) PC-3200 (400) OCZ (OCZ4001024PDC-K)                1       $195.00 $195.00
120152  Intel P4 Prescott 3.0 GHz 800 FSB 1M (HT) (Retail Box-w-Fan)            1       $229.00 $229.00
        Warranty: 800011 - 3 Year Manufacturer's Warranty
150623  Seagate 80 GB Barracuda 7200RPM 8MB Cache SATA                          3       $83.00  $249.00
        Warranty: 800011 - MFG Warranty 1 Year from MFG Date
160101  Sony 52x (Black) CD-ROM IDE                                             1       $24.00  $24.00
130634  Shin Etsu G765 (SYRINGE) .35 gm Thermal Grease                          1       $12.90  $12.90

Total:  $899.40
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.

You decide to go with a non-hardware RAID setup or you going to skip using RAID completely?

Also, you should verify who's SATA chipset their using and confirm that it'll work with whatever Linux version you're using.

Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikaru wrote:
You decide to go with a non-hardware RAID setup or you going to skip using RAID completely?

No, I plan to use software RAID again. Most of the hardware RAID cards for SATA (like 3ware, etc.) are just too expensive.

The software RAID setup I will go with this time will actually be RAID-5, instead of RAID-1. RAID-5 is (supposed) to be less i/o intensive than RAID-1, at least with Linux software RAID. I haven't noticed much of a difference during tests, but that's mostly because I'm testing on VMware virtual machines. Wink

Quote:
Also, you should verify who's SATA chipset their using and confirm that it'll work with whatever Linux version you're using.

From what I can tell, it's an Intel ICH5 controller. There is an ICH5-R variant, but it's still only software RAID. Rolling Eyes

Looking through documentation, drivers, etc., Fedora Core 1 does support ICH5, at least with the later versions of the 2.4.22 kernel. I know Fedora Core 2 supports it with the 2.6.6 kernel, at least as a direct connection (i.e. no RAID control via the ICH5[R] controller).

The only thing I can see that isn't supported is the onboard audio card, which I couldn't care less if it worked or not. Wink

I'll be running through some Redhat/Fedora lists/groups later to find an absolute answer on ICH5 SATA support in FC1, but it looks like it's there.
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Can't wait to see it in action. Smile

Cheers

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> System News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: