Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Fang fighter....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember reading about some test with laser weapon in the US. They tried to shot down an old satellite from the surface with a laser (the first sto - surface to orbit - weapon) and they indeed hit the satellite the didn't destroy it though. The beam was too much weakened by the atmosphere.

They also tested a high power laser, capable of destroying more or less anthing they fired it at. These are by far not practical weapons yet though. They are not only far to large, they use too much energy. The economical damage a high power laser would do to you own country with a single shot is much higher that you enemy has through the lost tank Wink

Just thought somebody might be interested in that.

Pycnopodia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
Greetings!
It's powerful enough to knock out a destroyer(100Kilo delayed fuse warhead), but also maneuverable enough to hit an MTB...
It's not known whether the Phalanx AutoGun on American warships is capable of shooting it down...

Lets fire our missiles on a boat with 'Phalanx AutoGun' and see what happends Very Happy
Has someone made a sketch of the Fang fighter yet?
Edit, Id love to try and make a sketch (Im not good at drawing, but I do like futuristic looking fighters Very Happy )
is there any pointers on what it should look like?
I dont care about technical stuff, lets just say it uses a 1cm3 mega-turbo-engine with infinite fuel and infinite power Smile

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pycnopodia wrote:
Has someone made a sketch of the Fang fighter yet?
Edit, Id love to try and make a sketch (Im not good at drawing, but I do like futuristic looking fighters Very Happy )
is there any pointers on what it should look like?
I dont care about technical stuff, lets just say it uses a 1cm3 mega-turbo-engine with infinite fuel and infinite power Smile

Well, I've got some doodles I'm using as a starting point for modelling it, but then, given my profession, I tend to work for something I'd find plausible Smile What I have in mind is a cross of features of the X-24B, F-35A, and YF-23 with a few tweaks here and there Wink Besides the info Anthony has given, I suspect the main driver is that the alien level of computer technology is barely up to handling a fly-by-wire system for an unstable air vehicle, so the Fang fighter has to be aerodynamically stable; this is taken into account in what I'm doodling.

Cheers,
Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fang fighter is some sort of 'lowest bidder' type 'atmosphere to orbit' single-seater fighter, and yes it is atmospherically stable.
(It is capable of hovering, though)
You can assume a relatively 'clean' and flat underbelly.
(It's the main heatshield when they enter the atmosphere)
The 'engines' are gravitic impellers mounted at the side of the fuselage. (Low and a short distance out to lessen interference with the onboard electronics)
It can take missiles, but any weapons tech can tell you that smart missiles are expensive and takes a lot of training to fire with good results.
(In other words, they don't use them much)

Since the Fang is a 'cheap' fighter, there's NO ejection seat or similar systems.

Visibility?
Yes, they have some sort of canopy, but nothing like the dome of an F-16 or similar. (It has to survive at hypersonic speeds when entering/leaving the atmosphere)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's more than one hypersonic project out there to work from - though I doubt it's the windshield-less design of the XF-103.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I remember how the XF-103 looks, but I've always been a fan of the SR-71...

But while looking closely at modern 'hypercruise' fighters may give ideas about aerodynamic shapes, I believe all of them are unstable designs.
Their shape is also pretty much dictated by the engines.
(Modern fighters are basically one or two powerful jet-engines with a cockpit, fuel-tank, wings, weapons and control-surfaces tacked on where they're causing the least amount of drag)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
Can't say I remember how the XF-103 looks, but I've always been a fan of the SR-71...

But while looking closely at modern 'hypercruise' fighters may give ideas about aerodynamic shapes, I believe all of them are unstable designs.
Their shape is also pretty much dictated by the engines.
(Modern fighters are basically one or two powerful jet-engines with a cockpit, fuel-tank, wings, weapons and control-surfaces tacked on where they're causing the least amount of drag)

XF-103 didn't have a windshield, just a periscope and side windows. I'm figuring something like the cockpit of SR-71, X-15, or CF-105. all of which had heavily framed windows to cope with the environmental differences.

Furry_wolf2001b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: umm, noob warning ;) Reply with quote

Quote:

To sensors: I agree with a MAD (Magnetic Anomaly Detector)l. When their drive system is bases on magnetics it's only logical that they have sensors based on magnetics too.

Hi all. Smile
Forgive a noob butting in.
(And the horrible, horrible spelling, but i -did- use yahoo this time...)
But i got a thought about above part.
About the "Magnetic Anomaly Detector"(MAD), um if it is powered by whatever means its drive might (because its small size) interfere with its/those sensors.
We could design the computers to handle any white noise from your craft but perhaps they would be severely limited in their detection range unless the engines/propulsion is in tin a low power setting.
I could be wrong of course, probably is.
Embarassed
But another thing i thought of now,(witch might be bogus crap too) is if they don't think that they may need a MAD, why equip their crafts with it?
(might be different later on tho, but i still think the regular radar still will get the job done easiest)
It (MAD) got to be both expensive, complicated -and- take up room and mass on the fighter.
When they know the earthers don't have any.
(Magnetic Anomaly, or whatewer it is to be detecting)
And in "space configuration" an "equipment pod" with it, might not get in the way out there... Confused
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a suggestion for the design of the fang fighter.
I wouldn't look at any modern fighters except for the Harrier. For everything else I would look at the F-4 Phantom and jet fighter before that.
My reasoning is this. It has been said that there are no computer assisted controls on in atmosphere flight and seeing as wolf flight training may not be very good they would need a aircraft the was more suited for flying in atmosphere than in space and that are very easy to fly.
This is a suggestion for the body and control surfaces only.

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Hound wrote:
I have a suggestion for the design of the fang fighter.
I wouldn't look at any modern fighters except for the Harrier. For everything else I would look at the F-4 Phantom and jet fighter before that.
My reasoning is this. It has been said that there are no computer assisted controls on in atmosphere flight and seeing as wolf flight training may not be very good they would need a aircraft the was more suited for flying in atmosphere than in space and that are very easy to fly.
This is a suggestion for the body and control surfaces only.

I was considering more of something along the lines of the first generation lifting bodies which were stable (X-24B as a major item) and aspects of the F-14, which again is stable (it and the F-15 are the last US fighters, except the F-20, to be statically stable). There's plenty of room for variation (also note that the F-14 & F-15 were originally designed when our computer tech level was about where the wolves are at the time of the story).

*Sigh* Yet another effort I need to get back to - at least to bring things to some real sketches as opposed to BOTE work.

Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Inserts foot into muzle.*
I stand corrected though I do believe that they had some small amounts of computer aided flight, not much, but the F-14 did do to it's swing wing that way the pilot didn't have to manually configure the wings, though I believe they did have a manual overide. Though I wouldn't give the fang fighter a swing wing, I don't believe the wolves would have had a use for it.

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Hound wrote:
*Inserts foot into muzle.*
I stand corrected though I do believe that they had some small amounts of computer aided flight, not much, but the F-14 did do to it's swing wing that way the pilot didn't have to manually configure the wings, though I believe they did have a manual overide. Though I wouldn't give the fang fighter a swing wing, I don't believe the wolves would have had a use for it.

Actually, I think there's some automatic control there, but as you said, with overrides. That's tech from mid-60's, which is a little lower level than that of the Wolves. I certainly wouldn't give the Fang fighter a swing-wing, it has no need of one. The idea I have in mind is a mix of X-24B, YF-23, and a dab of F-35.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> anthony All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: