Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another format to read SOtS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Sabrina Online the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellic J Tiger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 5:28 am    Post subject: Another format to read SOtS? Reply with quote

Hi all I've been lurking around here fur a while. I'm a big fan of Sabrina Online and Sabrina Online the story. I don't know how many of you use *gasp* Microsoft's Reader format for reading e-books but I've compiled chap 1-43 into one e-book with picts from Chris's site. Chris would it be OK if I distribute this? Anyone interested? I’ve had this on my Pocket PC and its extremely sweet to be able to pull out SOtS whenever I want. While I'm not a big fan of MS's activation scheme for using encrypted e-books I found that reader is still great for non encrypted stand alone books.

PS- Yes I have your disclaimers prominently displayed at the beginning of the e-book. Don’t want to get anyone sued.

[ March 10, 2002: Message edited by: Kellic J Tiger ]
TVDAVE
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Another format to read SOtS? Reply with quote

HI TIGER

I USED THE SAME THING HERE IN SAUDI ARABIA
WITH THE SABRINA STORY , RIGHT NOW I HAVE RAVAS STORY IN BINDER WITH ME TONIGHT HERE IN THE SAUDI DESERT , TRYING TO MAKE UPFOR LOST TIME SINCE IM NEW TO A LOT OF STORIES HERE IN PLANETFURRY , AND THE BINDERS FIT JUST RIGHT BETWEEN THE FRONT SEATS OF MY YUKAN , THEN AFTER DARK , I JUST GET MY SMALL CHAIR GASS LAMP AND BINDER AND SIT ON A SAND DUNE AND READ AWAY UNDER THE STARS, BUT NOT TONIGHT, ITS RAINING LIKE CRAZY OUT HERE , SO IM HERE ON MY SLEEPING IN THE BACK
READING TONIGHT, BUT YEAH, BINDER IS THE WAY TO GO ,
RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO THE AXES OF EVIL
THIS IS TV DAVE IN THE WET SAUDI DESERT
GOOD NITE ALL.
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: Another format to read SOtS? Reply with quote

Good luck on asking Chris...

I once asked about the possibility of doing a TomeRaider file of it.

The file with chapter 1-41 and the bonus chapter (between 37 and 38) is 42KB with the copyright and everything....

TR files is, as everyone know, readable on EPOC(symbian V1-V5), Palm (V3 and onward), WinCE and Windoooze.
(See [url=http://www.tomeraider.com)]www.tomeraider.com)[/url]
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:02 am    Post subject: Another format to read SOtS? Reply with quote

I've found that the format Microsoft Reader (even though it goes against my better judgement) is one of the best I've seen for handhelds. Standard HTML is good too, athough a few changes here and there to the originals on ChrisFoxx.com would work wonders for those with Cleartype compatible handhelds, which pretty much limits it to the PocketPC's.

If you guys come up with a good way of doing this, be sure to post it here.
Kellic J Tiger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Another format to read SOtS? Reply with quote

Actually it took me all of about 1/2 hour to convert everything over. I cheated because I have the MS word plugin that does a direct conversion into MS reader e-book format. So highlight chapter on Chris's site....paste....Mark chapter header...highlight...paste....mark chapter header....highlight...paste...mark chapter head....you get the drift. Then I just ran the index wizard pasted the picts and poof. A nice little e-book. I've done this with a number of web based stories and they all turn out fantastic.

I tried Palm's Palm reader format. They have a template for word that supports converting docs over to the Palm Reader format. While I like Palm Reader (I use it to read encrypted e-books.) I don't like the fact that they don't support images in their app. *shrugs*
SkunkFox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Chris doesn't mind, I'm hoping he won't I could convert all of the chapters to a downloadable e-book format, or web base format for offline reading pleasure. It'll take me a few hours to do but since I'm going to have a lot of free time at the end of the month It'll give me Something constructive to do....past driving the nurse's and those CUTE orderly's Nuts!! *Snickers* Later SkunkFox

Off to nappy time.....oh little pink pills today.....*SNORE*

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Another format to read SOtS? Reply with quote

[quote="Kellic J Hi all I've been lurking around here fur a while. I'm a big fan of Sabrina Online and Sabrina Online the story. I don't know how many of you use *gasp* Microsoft's Reader format for reading e-books but I've compiled chap 1-43 into one e-book with picts from Chris's site. Chris would it be OK if I distribute this? [/quote]

Well, I'd like to see a copy of it, first ...

[quote="Kellic J PS- Yes I have your disclaimers prominently displayed at the beginning of the e-book. Don’t want to get anyone sued.[quote]

Yeah, that wouldn't be too good Wink

BTW, thanks for being a fan!

All the best to yunz!
Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Another format to read SOtS? Reply with quote

anthony wrote:

Hey!

anthony wrote:

You did? You'll have to forgive me, I don't remember.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're at it here - is anyone other than me crazy enough to use the Apple Newton? (I don't care what anyone says - it's STILL the best PDA out there. I should know - I seem to have collected enough different ones...)

The reason I ask is because I have been seriously contemplating converting the stories into NewtonBook format, with our author's permission. (Actually, that should be authors', because I want to do that to Tabitha as well...)

I guess this is a roundabout way of asking for that permission. Would it be better to drop you an e-mail about it, Chris? (Don't worry, all the proper copyright info would remain at the front of the file - first thing you'd read...)

Y'know, that makes me think. (Stop! Stop! It hurts!) I think I'll have to see about converting my own stories into a PDA readable format...hmm...

Kinsfire

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinsfire wrote:
While we're at it here - is anyone other than me crazy enough to use the Apple Newton? (I don't care what anyone says - it's STILL the best PDA out there. I should know - I seem to have collected enough different ones...)

YAY!!!! I almost had one- ended to buying a Palm Pro for $30 less at the thrift store... Upgraded to a M100 Razz . (I liked the Pro better)

Kinsfire wrote:
The reason I ask is because I have been seriously contemplating converting the stories into NewtonBook format, with our author's permission. (Actually, that should be authors', because I want to do that to Tabitha as well...)

I guess this is a roundabout way of asking for that permission. Would it be better to drop you an e-mail about it, Chris? (Don't worry, all the proper copyright info would remain at the front of the file - first thing you'd read...)

Perhaps in Palm's "doc" ebook format too?

Kinsfire wrote:
Y'know, that makes me think. (Stop! Stop! It hurts!) I think I'll have to see about converting my own stories into a PDA readable format...hmm...

Kinsfire

No. Thinking bad. Make head hurt, then you go to bathroom and do plop! plop!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I decide to go that route, then I will probably try to convert it into as many formats as I can, that someone else isn't already covering...and in the case of my own stories, that means all PDA formats.

BTW - if you do contemplate a Newton (I recommend it - there's a heck of a support base out there for it, even though Apple said PBBTHT! to it...), then try going to http://www.jksalesinc.com/ - that's where I bought my 2100. I'm about to either offer up my 2000 for sale, or get the stuff necessary and turn it into a mini-server, just to prove it can be done. (There are people doing that out there, mind you...)

Kinsfire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under PalmOS, there are a few formats available, but (as far as I know) the "doc" format is the most popular, and 90% of all PalmOS readers (and a few non- ebook programs) can chew on it without choking.

But hurry, when Palm changes CPU and OS next year, the rules might change. XP
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Another format to read SOtS? Reply with quote

ChrisFoxx wrote:
anthony wrote:

Hey!

anthony wrote:

I'm pretty certain that I asked way back in Dec. 2000, when I mentioned TomeRaider for you...
Unfortunately, the email system at the office is M$ Don'tLook with M$ Exchange servers, so... (It [effed] up part of my archive)

That was before I started converting ZZtS, and even managed to talk Steve Abbot into doing conversions of some of the stories on Anthrofiction.com

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Another format to read SOtS? Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
ChrisFoxx wrote:
anthony wrote:

Hey!

anthony wrote:

I'm pretty certain that I asked way back in Dec. 2000, when I mentioned TomeRaider for you...
Unfortunately, the email system at the office is M$ Don'tLook with M$ Exchange servers, so... (It [effed] up part of my archive)

I corrected your expletive. Please try to remember this is an all-ages forum and keep those to yourself.

I vaguely remember a TomeRaider reference, but I'll have to go back into my e-mail archives to see if I can find it.

Chris
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about those words...

I tend to forget about things like that whenever I mention the beast of Redmond.

Oh well, at least I wrote that on one of my good days...
(On a bad day, I can swear badly enough to curl the hairs on a camel)

So, anyone who felt insulted, aggravated, shocked or othervise put upon by my unfortunate language is welcome to come to Norway and give me the thrashing I so richly deserve...
(But not right now, because the sun is shining, water is warm, and my Kayak is ready Smile

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Sabrina Online the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: