Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amiga The good old A500 days

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are or were you an Amiga user?
yes
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
no
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
What the heck is Amiga?
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 21

Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Amiga The good old A500 days Reply with quote

Are or were any of you lot out there/here Amiga users?
Remember how PCs were back then? Dull black and green, yucko
clunkers with no personality. X.x When the best in PC terms cost you an arm and a leg?

If Commodore didn't go bankrupt in 1994, where would the Amiga be today?

-

The 1986 Amiga A500 promotion video

Click here to view the video

taspacecampjh

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I orgionaly checked no on this but would like to change that to a yes if an Amiga emulator counts becouse I have and use one
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have/use amigas.

In my current inventory are the following.

Amiga 500 with sidecar.
Amiga 2000 with Video Toaster
Amiga 3000 Tower with Video Toaster/Flyer and 350G of video drive arrays.

Of course, I also have an old TRS-80, Applie ][, Kaypro, Chamelion (did dos & CPM), Atari-ST, Commodore Vic 20, 64, and 128.... not to mention other numerous relics from my growing up years.

I'm such a pack rat.

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, Hikaru.
But I seemed to have collected each Mac Apple had made after Commodore and Atari Bellied up.

I got a few old Amigas, but need some parts to get them going. And an OS-disk.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Little_Dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had an Amiga, although I played around with a Commodore 64 and TRS-80 Model 4 extensively in the '80s, and owned two Atari 1200XL systems (one of which is still in working order).
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had one, but after playing around with AROS(see www.aros.org) I'm considering buying one or three...
Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
racky raccoon

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am pinine over the loss of my first girlfriend the Amgia 1200.... god she had the works gr8 face, beutfil curves and an interface to die for.... LMAO Twisted Evil but alas she whent away (i.e on the back of a rubish van when i drop it from my loft whist in transport... Crying or Very sad )

any one know were i can find another love like hers????/ the pc isnt doing it for me.

*smak* ok il stop with the female metapohr Rolling Eyes

does anyone remeber Bills Tomato Game???? or Monkey Island.. wow so meny hours wasted... so meny laughs.... *sigh*

you know that advert that you have linked there Ryan is as old as me!!!!... wow 18 years of advancement and that still looks cool
UP YO 1MEG... lol Laughing good old days

-Mike Regan-
I want a Lawyer, a Doctor... A CHEESE SANDWICH
-Harley Quinn-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I would not recommend Ebay, I heard there are a couple of places out in Europe (in Germany mainly), where you can get a new or refurbished 1200 for about $200USD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
admford

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really Elfen? you're wetting my apetite Smile

As for me I never owned or tried an Amiga. Though instead of this Athlon 64 system I probably would've gotten a Pegasos II 1GHz G4 board (But the store never responded to my emails about the availability of them). I'm also a late "Switcher" (bought my PowerBook 1400 in 2001 and my PowerBook "Pismo" in 2003).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Amiga had some sweet games in it's time but I never had one. I was only just in elemental school back then.

I cannot quite understand why people are trying to revive a dead system... but I guess everybody needs a hobby.

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Amiga was an archatecture that was WAY beyond it's time. Here are some of the highpoints of the machine:

1. Truly multi-threading, multi-tasking operating system. First ever for a PC.
  2. Multi-processor - The 68000 processor was the brains, but it had micro-controllers to run the show. Seperate memory manager chip. Independant video controller chip. Dedicated IO controller chip to handle all the I/O busses. Sound processor, etc.
  3. Video buss was built around video! - You could plug an RC jack into the back, bring video into the coupter, and have a TV signal appear to float UNDER your desktop!
  4. One of the first Megapixel video processor capable of compositing multiple layers of sprites on top of the analog video bus.
  5. 2000, 3000 and 4000 series had fully programmable expansion slots. You controlled what pins did what on each card slot. You could drop in an Amiga dedicated card or a PC card (assuming you could program the bus for it). Sweet option.

There's a lot more to it, but that's all I can think of off of the top.

Just now, they're starting to catch up wtih the PC. Video cards with intelligent processors on them haven't been around all that long. ACPI (Advanced Controller Programable Interrupt) is something the Amiga did by rote to begin with, though they never bothered with interrupts as the PC world knows it. Advanced memory controllers are now making memory management and access far more efficient with the new Hyper Threading(tm) processors, and the IDE/SATA controllers are starting to become truly intelligent.

All the stuff you're seeing in the "advanced" PC world is stuff that the Amiga did when it first came out.

Can you blame us for loving or Amiga's?

And for those who thought that racky raccoon was joking about it being his girlfriend.... remember that Amiga is spanish slag for a female friend. Laughing

Cheers

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: