Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Delighted and enthralled.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Identity Crisis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StefanH-UK

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Delighted and enthralled. Reply with quote

I'd just like to say how much I am enjoying reading the first act of Identity Crisis. Not that I intended to find myself having spent over an hour sat in front of my PC reading a story, rather I should have been doing something productive. C'est la vie Wink

At this point (having just taken a 5 minute break to browse the rest of the website) I find myself thinking 'this should be on paper, surely?'. With a little bit of tidying, why could this not be in hardback?

I read quite a lot of SF (Peter F. Hamilton, Stephen Baxter, Pratchett, plus others) and I would compare Identity Crisis with a book that (in a not-too-far off parallel universe) could have been a collaborative work by Philip Pullman and Peter F. Hamilton (with Philip developing the characters and Hamilton providing the raw narrative).

It's rare that I find this kind of talent displayed on the internet for all to see. I guess it's pretty rare to see any real talent on the internet these days Embarassed

I cannot wait to see what develops, not just within Identity Crisis, but with any (and please, let there be many) future works.

Many, many thanks.

Stefan Holmes ( [email protected] )
(UK)
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Delighted and enthralled. Reply with quote

StefanH-UK wrote:
I'd just like to say how much I am enjoying reading the first act of Identity Crisis. Not that I intended to find myself having spent over an hour sat in front of my PC reading a story, rather I should have been doing something productive. C'est la vie Wink

Glad you like it. The writing sucks in the first part of Act I, but hang in there. It'll get better as I had a professional writer take me under his wing and start to tutor me towards the end of Act I.

StefanH-UK wrote:
At this point (having just taken a 5 minute break to browse the rest of the website) I find myself thinking 'this should be on paper, surely?'. With a little bit of tidying, why could this not be in hardback?

I'd love to have it pubished but-----

That's the problem... There's a big assed but hanging off the end of that statement. There are a number of characters in Act 1 and Act III that I don't have permission to use commercially. In fact, Sheila Vixen (and other characters) are the property of Eric Schwarts and other people. Getting written permission from all of them would be difficult at best.

StefanH-UK wrote:
I read quite a lot of SF (Peter F. Hamilton, Stephen Baxter, Pratchett, plus others) and I would compare Identity Crisis with a book that (in a not-too-far off parallel universe) could have been a collaborative work by Philip Pullman and Peter F. Hamilton (with Philip developing the characters and Hamilton providing the raw narrative).

Thanks. Jim Lane, author of Redeeming Factors, is my editor. He's helped me a LOT with the writing aspect. I've had help with the plot on occasion from close friends, but for the most part, the story is all mine.

StefanH-UK wrote:
It's rare that I find this kind of talent displayed on the internet for all to see. I guess it's pretty rare to see any real talent on the internet these days Embarassed

Embarassed

StefanH-UK wrote:
I cannot wait to see what develops, not just within Identity Crisis, but with any (and please, let there be many) future works.

Well, you've got a long read ahead of you. As of the end of Act III, there were 500K words so I doubt you'll finish it this weekend. Smile I do hope you have fun getting there.

Cheers
Hikaru

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might have it all read by monday if he keeps at it. It took me about 10 hours to read all of act I and chaper 1 of act II. And yes I stayed up all night reading that part. In total it took me a little less than three days to catch up to chapter 46 or 47 in act III. Plus I was still checking my e-mail, groups I'm in and online comics that I read, so If he doesn't have anything else to do he could be caught up before noon tomorrow easily.
And the writing at the first part of act I does not suck. It's better than me at my current state of writing, and I think I'm fairly good at it.

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Hound wrote:
And the writing at the first part of act I does not suck. It's better than me at my current state of writing, and I think I'm fairly good at it.

I broke MANY rules of writing in Act 1. Pagraph formatting, tenses, etc. It's pretty bad. I plan on re-writing it sometime here in the future. Odds are it'll be posted as a singal PDF document that Mike will help assemble rathar than chapter by chapter like I'm doing now.

Cheers

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what they say, rules are meant to be broken. I don't follow most of the rules becuase they get in my way. The only ones I follow are spelling, parragraph separation and partialy on having charactors talk. I still get the point across and the stories are easy to understand. Now if I could just beat my muse into submission I might be able to finish the stories I've started.
webkilla

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I just have to add:

Hikaru, If you wanted to get this stuff published you should never have put it out on the web at all... I mean, u can DL ya stories from the Raccons bookshelf in PDF, so its all out there...

No publisher will wanna touch something out on the web already - or at least you'll have a hard time finding one that'll see any profit in it...

StefanH-UK

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Oh hey :) Reply with quote

I did stay up quite late reading, after I transferred the PDF's to my laptop. I managed to drain the battery from a full charge and then promptly fall asleep.

Best night's sleep I have had in a long time. Who knew a good story would be therapeautic?!

@webkilla: Any publisher worth their salt would see a good meaty story and a starved audience. How easy is it to read a PDF in the bath (my preferred environment for such an activity)? I (briefly) considered reformatting the HTML and printing it out, but then I realised that was a tad implausible and then felt silly about coming up with the idea. Embarassed

@Henry_Hound: The Lord of the Rings breaks just about every rule in the book. Good point Cool

@Hikaru: I'm sure Mr Schwartz would grant you license. Still, I understand how difficult it would be. Perhaps one day it will seem worth a try though Smile It would not be beyond the realm of imagination for there to be a series of stories based in the same environment. Maybe not Discworld proportions, but it makes me smile to think about it.
webkilla

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know - but look at it this way:

If a publisher was smart, then he'd say that Hikaru was to write out all of act 4, but only have it sold, not given away for free on teh net...

Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or they could say if he gets so many orders then they'll do it but it would all have to be pre-ordered and they may be generous enough to print out a few extra copies if there's enough orders.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Identity Crisis All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: