Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Interesting Proposition... But...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: An Interesting Proposition... But... Reply with quote

Galadrion wrote:
*snip!* ... Cultivate patience, Whiterabbit. In the face of this reality, that is all any of us can do - unless you decide that there isn't enough writing out there, and decide to begin your own story... Wink

Its no secret that I have a hidden stash of chapters a "friend" & I wrote on a shared laptop up until 9/11. And up on recieving the beaten but still working unit a few months ago, I have been wrestling with the idea of publishing-online.

It incomplete, 14 out of 45 chapters done, which means I would have to finish it alone. It was going to be some 40-odd chapters, with a definate beginning and end to the story, and perhaps a Part II afterwards. But secondly, my friend asked for permission to actually publish it from Eric, Chris & Black Rabbit Maxx, and until 9/11, No Answer. I yet to know if they ever got back to my friend...

We started writing it in thanksgiving of 2k, and devoted something to 2 - 8 days a month in working it (mostly on the weekends).

Let me wrestle with my demons first, and I'll decide whether to continue it or not by the 9/11 aniversary comes. Then I have to find server space.

(Sorry- No hints as to what it is...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... speaking from personal experience, I'd have to advise e-mailing those worthies again. BlackRabbit I haven't dealt with, but both Eric and Chris are fairly busy fellows who can get sidetracked on their correspondence. Sending them a followup message (marked as such) will usually get their attention. They aren't unreasonable folks - treat their characters nicely, and they're usually more than willing to allow reasonable usage. (Eric has his requirements posted on his site - you might want to review them to make sure you aren't stepping on any of his perogatives.)

I do advise courtesy, though. There was a certain individual (never a registered member here; I'm uncertain whether he's ever visited the forum) who managed to make rather a nuisance of himself, wrote insultingly of both Eric and Chris, and then complained that he couldn't get Chris's permission to use his characters... I wonder why. Hrmph. You don't strike me as the type to commit such gaucheries, though. As I said, send them a followup e-mail. It'll almost certainly get results - if not permission, then probably suggestions for changes which would pave the way for such permission.

In any case, I wish you good luck, and hope to see the results of your endeavours at some later date!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we thinking the same individual? The same initial 3 times?

As for dealing with them, I agree completely. If you want to use James Sheppard, you need to contact James Bruner, but he's pretty good too. He could've completely prevented me from doing some stuff with Serina, back when I made the mistake of not getting his permission with Chapter 4. (I'd had such a time writing it that I simply posted it when I finally got it finished. He sent me a very polite request to remove it until he'd had a chance to review, at which point he gave me permission.)

Courtesy goes a long way in getting permission...Eric, Chris, and Max are all pretty likely to give permission, as long as you're not mistreating their characters.

Kinsfire

Last edited by Kinsfire on Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know it, Kinsfire.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just reread your topic starter, EF, and I'm hoping you won't be bothered by my offering condolences concerning your loss. Losing someone important always hurts.

Kinsfire

...I'm going to stop here, since I always say something stupid when I don't know what to say...

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Thank you for the condulences, everyone. Nice to know that people care, even almost a year after.

2) We'll see what happens when they do. Deamons hide in the most unsuspecting of places; even as one's Good Conscious Angel. Which means grabbing hold of it and strip searching it just to make sure it is what is it...

For now- CHRIS, YOU DONE WITH THE NEXT 20 CHAPTERS YET?!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Galadrion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we care. People always care. Those who can look at a tragedy like that and not care - I'm not sure what they are, but they aren't people. I'm not sure I even want to know. Sure wish I could identify them at a longer range, though - it'd make avoiding them easier.

Brr. On to happier topics. Yeah, Chris, when are you gonna get those chapters written and posted? Very Happy
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing worse than demon fighting is unscrambling eggs...
But The Work Shall Be Done.

One problem though, where can I get a list of ALL the Sabrina-based Characters and to whom their copyrights belong?

I just to make sure that I access the right people for the right reasons. (although I was thinking of making a new topic for this and decided not too...)
Galadrion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... not sure where such a list might be... or even if such a list exists. Best suggestion I can offer is this: when there is a character from another source you'd like to use in your story, e-mail the author of that other source. Ask that person (a) if the character is his/hers; (b) if so, you'd like to use them in thus-and-so way, is this acceptable or how would it be more acceptable; and (c) if not, does that author know who owns the copyright for that particular character. (If an author is using a character in his or her work and knows that the copyright belongs to another, it's a cinch bet that the author knows who the owner is. And this group, at least, is very good about giving credit where credit is due.) Of course, in this group you can very likely eliminate (a) and (c) by reading the copyright statement which prefaces almost every story posted. Other groups vary.

(And an add-on thought: it's unlikely that a complete list of characters will ever be assembled - because as time rolls on, each story gains more characters. Obselescence applies everywhere, I'm afraid.)
Rava

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the copyright pages. Or disclaimers at the begining of chapters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: