Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tools of the Trade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luxo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Tools of the Trade Reply with quote

Hi guys. Just wondering, which programs do you use the most for your 3D renders? I just got 3DStudio Max 6 but it's pretty hard to learn so far. And I wanted to know what do you use to get a wider range of options.

Cheers.
Little_Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current renderer is Poser 5's Firefly engine (which Mac users might recognize as a variation of the Pixels 3D Tempest engine), although I've also used Poser 4 and trueSpace in the past.
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm primarily a 3D Studio Max user. My current version is 5.1.2 SP1 I use a combination of VUE Scanline based rendering engines, VRAY that incredibly fast when rendering and processing all those Raytraced stuffs. I also use Illustrate 5.2 for rendering to vector, or to create a cartoony look or animated shockwave objects.

I don't plan on upgrading to 3DSMAX6 for a good reason. It's lack of support of certain plug-ins. My unwillingness to spend more money on character animation software and motion capture software updates. 3DSMAX6 may have a few minor improvements, and it may have some extra features, but with new stuff, comes new headaches.
Know your modeling tools, and know how to use them.
3D Studio may be intimidating at first, but once you've mastered the basics you're pretty much on your way.

You can download the Demo here.
http://www.vrayrender.com/gallery/
I have VRAY Basic
Luxo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Fox wrote:
I'm primarily a 3D Studio Max user. My current version is 5.1.2 SP1 I use a combination of VUE Scanline based rendering engines, VRAY that incredibly fast when rendering and processing all those Raytraced stuffs. I also use Illustrate 5.2 for rendering to vector, or to create a cartoony look or animated shockwave objects.

I don't plan on upgrading to 3DSMAX6 for a good reason. It's lack of support of certain plug-ins. My unwillingness to spend more money on character animation software and motion capture software updates. 3DSMAX6 may have a few minor improvements, and it may have some extra features, but with new stuff, comes new headaches.
Know your modeling tools, and know how to use them.
3D Studio may be intimidating at first, but once you've mastered the basics you're pretty much on your way.

You can download the Demo here.
http://www.vrayrender.com/gallery/
I have VRAY Basic

Well, I downloaded 3DSMax 6 mainly because it was a program I knew of and it had a demo version. But if you recommend me the 5.1.2 version I could find it somewhere.

Where I can find a guide on plugins for it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, I'm trying to grab a copy of Maya 5 *pokes at Ryan* so maybe I can possibly take some load off of Ryan in the comic. Though i'm begining, I have the whole summer that I have completely NOTHING to do. So i'd rather waste time on my parent's new iMac and learn how to work with the program.

though it lacks some plugins that Ryan has, I'm used to working around similar problems.
RealDesertFox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For general 3D stuff I used to use Lightwave 7, but I've lost it through re-formatting. Now all I use is Terragen to render scenery.
admford

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh, was me before. Think the cookie expired on me. Re logged in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

admford wrote:
ugh, was me before. Think the cookie expired on me. Re logged in.

Mmph 0.o

ROFL –laughs- The "cookie" expired on him. Oh my GAWD!
What was I thinking? Shocked Laughing
admford

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Fox wrote:

Hah, it's just your normal thought process foxo. sadly i'm used to the way you think. Heck if your dad would do an MRI on your brain he would see the word "YIFF" burned onto the surface of it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

admford wrote:
Ryan Fox wrote:

Hah, it's just your normal thought process foxo. sadly i'm used to the way you think. Heck if your dad would do an MRI on your brain he would see the word "YIFF" burned onto the surface of it.

Oh yeah? And I bet you got caught with your paw stuck in the cookie instead of the cookie jar! Laughing Razz

I'll have to face it...
you're just superior in the field of managing your cookies.. NOT!! Laughing Razz
hmm chocolate chip. Want some? –waves cookie in front of Dan's nose-

Sweet and crunchy aren't they Dan?
Well I like the lick-able chocolaty bits
that you can wrap your tongue around Razz Twisted Evil

SkunkFox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ryan why do you smell like mints all of a sudden? Oh Hi Flinters! Err he's nude...*stares at the large equine charging at Ryan!* Twisted Evil

SkunkFox
When in-jokes go to far I'll be there to drive them farther down the drain. Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> CG Furry Art All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: