Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Okay, who stopped the payment of my reality check?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 7:33 am    Post subject: Okay, who stopped the payment of my reality check? Reply with quote

The question is: Will Tabitha's interventions effect herself, or not?

I think it's the lesser, because if Chris goes after the motto I wrote somewhere on the forum earlier, 'A journey to the past doesn't happen. I HAS happened.' (from an RPG BTW), what Tabby wants to do will create a paradox. Think, Tabitha tells Sabrina about the accident and Sabby believes her, so she won't die. But then there's no reason for Tabby to go back in time. She now can't know about the accident, because it never happened. But that means that no one will tell Sabby about it, so it will happen. And that causes Tabitha to go back in time and tell Sabrina about it and so on. A great example for a paradox.

The (for me) most likely possibility is that Tabby's time travel has created an alternate timeline, like Shirh has mentioned. Then the question stays whether she will be able to return to her own time. I could imagine that, with the help of the beacon, the team in Tabitha's present are somehow able to pull her 'Back to the Future'.

Another possibility that may occur (though I don't hope so) is the 'Guardian of Time'. I know, that sounds very much like Fantasy, but in a sci-fi story I once read the flow of time was described as a semi-sentient being that aggressively defends itself against all interventions. In that story a guy saved someone in the past form being killed, but then the time started creating other events the would lead to the elimination of the saved one. The only way to really save him was to bring him to the future.
To that theory another quote from the RPG would fit: 'Time heals all wounds - even it's own."

Though, as I said, I neither think nor hope that the time is like that in this story, because this according to this theory it's impossible to change the past and it would also be impossible to save Sabrina. I just wanted to mention it.

All the Best
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 9:26 am    Post subject: Okay, who stopped the payment of my reality check? Reply with quote

Why can't they pick up her beacon immediately when she does activate it?
Perhaps becuase she's no longer in 'their" time line. Cf. "Takeshita's Second Theroem" [from David Weber's "Apocalypse Troll"] You can travel back in time, but your arrival creats a split in the time streama dn you move with the new stream.

thoughtfully,
Cateagle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 11:22 am    Post subject: Okay, who stopped the payment of my reality check? Reply with quote

That would be like in 'Back To The Future'. That way Tabitha wouldn't be affected by her interventions, but it would also render the whole time travel project useless, Except for exploring the past. As I understood it, they wanted to use the time machine to prevent things like assassinations form happening, and this way it would just create another timeline, not change the present.

I like Mike's idea of old Tabitha telling the young Tabitha what she will have to do so that Sabrina's survival stays ensured.

And the idea of FATE is nice too, even if I don't belief that there is a thing like FATE. But it's still an interesting idea. If she's defying FATE, wouldn't it be only logical when she has to die instead of Sabrina? Not that I want that, but couldn't it happen that Tabitha saves Sabrina during the accident and dies instead of her? Then it would be exactly like I said above. Tabitha saved Sabrina and had to pay with her own life for it. I admit, not a nice thought, but in the storytelling way, quite interesting.

All the Best
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 9:14 am    Post subject: Okay, who stopped the payment of my reality check? Reply with quote

This topic has been moved to the Tabitha Story Forum.
caspian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with 3 place being pointed out in the Sabrina story supports the theory that Tabitha is all ready there. One might have been dismisted but 3 is enough to start forming or even justifying the thereory that Tabitha is in Sabrinas storry and I do not mean the 5 year old Tabitha . Wink

My thoughs on the matter Smile

Caspian Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> chrisfoxx All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: