Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bummed!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: Bummed! Reply with quote

Well, they had to replace the 'box" part of my work pc last week due to an imminent HD failure (no, it wasn't Western Digital) and I found out soemthing. Under the new regime in our IT dept., they don't install MSN anymore and they've disabled the older version of AIM that comes with the version of Netscape it has. I can't download either from the web because you have to be an "Administrator" to install new software.

Anyone have useful suggestions?

A disgruntled,
Cateagle Mad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of network does your company run? Ethernet, Token Ring, sneaker-net? What I'm about to suggest requires a laptop, basically.

If ethernet, find out the speed and duplexing. Then you can buy a cheap hub rated for that speed and two short cables. Basically, you'd be networking the two machines off one connection. (I'm a junkie about this kinda stuff. At my desk at work, I have a 100-full connection going into a 4 port 10/100 hub. One of the devices off this hub is a Cisco 3100, which has 24 10-Mbps ports. (actually 28, but those extra four are on a separate card). At this exact moment in time, I am running three separate machines on my work desk. As I said - a junkie. Laughing )

If you don't have a laptop, I might be able to work something out, friend CatEagle. I'll know by AC. (I know; you won't be there. Sad ) If I can manage something for you, your only other expense would be buying a PC Card for that mythical laptop.

Kinsfire

...of course, this assumes that they'll let you run two machines off one connection...they can tell that if they run the right software...

Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...duh - an even simpler thing came to mind. It may not (probably not) work, but see if the IT dept. will give you admin rights to your own computer. If you have had minimal problems, and none of them PEBKAC problems, then they might be positively inclined to allow it. And you don't seem like the PEBKAC type...

Kinsfire

...for those curious - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair...also known as 1d10t calls...if that confuses you, uppercase the letters...

Galadrion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other suggestion - this one hinges on you knowing someone in your IT department. Ask that person specifically to install the goodies you want on your PC. That may be a little easier than getting them to give you admin privileges.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. The best of the choices, I'd say.
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galadrion wrote:
One other suggestion - this one hinges on you knowing someone in your IT department. Ask that person specifically to install the goodies you want on your PC. That may be a little easier than getting them to give you admin privileges.

::chuckle:: I went one better, I got an Engineering type who has Admin access, since he's involved with a lot of software, to take care of it for me.

A grinning,
Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toric

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or, you could use aim express. I used to use it before the firewall blocked it here, because I can't download any messengers either. I never did memorise the url, but I always went to aol.com, and used their search thingy to search for "aim express" and went right to it.
Galadrion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked The IT types actually let someone outside of themselves have Admin access?!? Isn't that, like, against the IT Ninja Code or something? Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is where I work, but then again, I'm in IT... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galadrion wrote:
Shocked The IT types actually let someone outside of themselves have Admin access?!? Isn't that, like, against the IT Ninja Code or something? Twisted Evil

Heh, they needed him to help in some areas they couldn't get to, so he got the access and no one's ever taken it away.

Grinningly,
Cateagle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> cateagle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: