Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forum software

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sithe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 3:34 am    Post subject: Forum software Reply with quote

Furum Softwere? Cool

Anyways, if you need a different program to do the forum with, Snitz is a very flexible program, and my second choice would be Ikonboard..

They are both free.

Here are examples of both:

Snitz: www.lanageddon.com/forum
Ikonboard: http://lan4life.thedamned.ca/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.pl

Dont bother posting on the lan4life boards.. they're dead.. Cool

Quote:
Due to the cost of keeping UltimateBB, the software running the Planetfurry BBS, constantly up to date, I am planning on moving to another, less costly, BBS. Read on...

Oh, and one other thing.. "Planet" isnt going to infringe on any patents by the Gamespy network, is it?

www.gamespy.com - owner of many many many planet sites such as www.fileplanet.com, www.planethalflife.com, www.planetquake.com, etc..

Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum software Reply with quote

Sithe wrote:
Oh, and one other thing.. "Planet" isnt going to infringe on any patents by the Gamespy network, is it?

www.gamespy.com - owner of many many many planet sites such as www.fileplanet.com, www.planethalflife.com, www.planetquake.com, etc..

It's a trademark violation you're thinking of, and there's no chance I can think of that PlanetFurry is going to have any problems, since there's no possibility of confusion. It's the reason that a local Honda dealer (Planet Honda) has no problems with Planet Hollywood.

And you certainly can't trademark or copyright an idea, which is why authors can (currently) stay in business. (Don't get me going on the proposed changes to copyright law...)

Kinsfire

Sithenotloggedin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, was just asking Cool

forgot to log in.. d'oh Cool
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob - it's just that I've learned a lot about it since my wife started working at a trademarks and copyrights law firm. They handle small companies like DC Comics, Disney, and Nabisco. You know, companies no one will ever hear of... Laughing

Kinsfire

Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Warning: rant in progress! Reply with quote

The fact that I use "Planet" in the site's name is about as much of a copyright infringement as "Lindows" sounding like "Windows". Wink

Just because it sounds like, or is similar to another name, doesn't mean it's the same. If that was the case, GameSpy would have to sue several thousand websites. Wink

Screw GameSpy anyways. Their services went downhill over a year ago. Especially FilePlanet.com. To get good service you have to pay, when before you didn't. You get barraged with banner ads and popups, and have to wait in line to download even the smallest of files.

Speaking of banner ads... Twisted Evil

My idea of an Internet service is like what Planetfurry is. It's free. Sites that have even small forced banner ads or icons aren't free. They're still making money from it. Profitting from your content on their servers. So in reality, the visitor is "paying", which makes their "free" service a lie.

Geocities is a good example. They shove a forced banner ad onto your site, and the visitor has to interact with it to go away. First, Geocities tracks who clicks the X button. Second, it's just plain ugly!

You will never see forced banner ads on this site. Period. Same goes with those little transparent buttons Geocites used to do. If a banner ads system is installed, it would be voluntary. The member would decide whether they wanted it or not.

Now I know these companies are in it for the money. Whoop-dee-doo. If they want to make money off of other peoples' content, they can go screw themselves. I'm not in it for the money. I have a free service that I pay for out of my pocket, along with the donations of very gracious visitors and members.

Planetfurry.com has been up for nearly two years now, and not once have I needed banner ads to make money off of the services.

As long as I have the funds to keep this service active, it will stay up.

Here is what the services has cost me, BTW:

Original Server: $800
Current Server: $1750 (approx.)
ISP Cost/Month: $100
DNS Cost/Year: $25

Approximately I've put $4800 into Planetfurry. And I'll keep doing it too! Wink
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit, though, that I would love to know where to donate money. A PayPal button, or an address where we can send small unmarked bills...Very Happy

Kinsfire

Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to http://www.planetfurry.com. Smile Right there on the home page.
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whip-lash wrote:
Go to http://www.planetfurry.com. Smile Right there on the home page.

That's why I missed it - I have my browser's homepage set to the Forums homepage. (A resounding SMACK!, complete with echo, can be heard as I slap my own skull...)

Kinsfire

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: