Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To Sing His Own Praises
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“To what end?” Thad replied simply as he kept his gaze transfixed among the tree-line, his Arcane vision seeing clearly the trail left by the summoner of the Horror. “He’s already gone.”

“Surely, but we can find him soon enough,” Pat reasoned, the trees having told him of the path as well.

“To what end?” Thad repeated, now turning his red-rimmed eyes to Pat. “If the fool meant to kill us, he would have pressed the attack. Either way, he is of no threat to us.”

“But surely w-,” Pat pressed, none-too-pleased at having been manipulated into striking out at innocent trees.

“Enough!” The Necromancer snapped, not willing to pursue the line of conversation any further. “We’ve suffered too many delays already getting on the road to a destination I do not care for, to perform a task that’s required for me to regain my freedom. Pursue if you wish, but I will waste no time tracking down some childish conjurer of menial monsters.”

“Tomir,” He continued without giving the fox a chance to respond and turned to the bear who, apparently unconcerned by the conversation, was still poking at the dead monster with his hammer. “You may wish to look over the records at the Mage Registration office, as well as looking out for anyone who looks suspicious.”

“Suspicious?” The bear balked incredulously, his bloody hammer now resting on the edge of his muscular shoulder. “Have ye lost yer wits, Thad? Ye know how many in this city be fittin’ that description?”

“You misunderstand me,” Thad said as he moved over and leaned down to look the bear right in the eyes, pointing to his own red-outlined orbs. “Suspicious.”

Tomir was quick to catch on. He knew what Arcane vision looked like when he saw it, and recognized that indeed it was a telltale sign of those magic-users who had just been about their handiwork.

“Aye, I get yer meanin’,” The guard captain replied with a nod, wiping the head of his mighty hammer on the grass before hooking it back onto his belt. “Ah’ll inform me boys ta’ be keepin’ an’ eye out.”

“Good. I trust you to keep this city in my absence, Captain of the Guard,” Thad replied earnestly, leaning back and away from the shorter man’s face.

“One o’ the oaths I took when they gave me this danged pig-sticker,” Tomir replied in similar fashion, tapping the sheathed sword at his hip that showed him to be the Captain of the Hanging Blades. “Keep well to yerself, and keep yerself well.”

Thad nodded before the two turned at almost the same moment, Tomir back with his men ordering the felled creature be put to the flame while the Necromancer walked over to join the bulk of the party.

For whatever differences they had, both Thad and Tomir called Clu’mer their home.

“To the East Gate, then,” Thad spoke pointedly with a gesture of his staff, his normal irritated look quickly returning to him. “And to the trails beyond. If you trogladytes wish to follow, you'll find me there.”

"This is PNN".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And why should I listen to YOU?" Ellani sneered. "If I recall correctly, you're the one supposed to go along with US, not the other way around."

Thad opened his muzzle to speak, but was cut short by Rob, who wisely didn't want yet another argument.

"Ellani, Thadamaeus is right about this. The East gate IS closer to the main roads," he said in a gentle, yet commanding voice.

"Very well," she replied, though her voice betrayed she didn't like following the Necromancer's suggestion.

"One thing, while we're underway to that gate, we're going to discuss battle strategy for future encounters."

The entire group, but one, saw the logic of this, the one of course being Thad.

'Why should I waste my time to discuss strategy with such fools? All they have to do is act as meat-shield for me, and that's it.'

When the party had reached East Gate, an arrangement was reached. Derick and Khamilah would use their Ranger abilities to pepper hostiles with arrows, while Ellani would use her ferocious charge to attack, unless the opposition was very strong, then she would add to the ranged punishment with her enchanted hatchet.

Marlena and Thad would provide long-range magical assaults, while Rob would lend his assisitance either through spell, or song, or blade, whatever was needed most.

Last but not least, Pat would employ his Druidic lore to make the local vegetation aid him, and the others in the party, before moving by Rob's side, throwing his weight where it was needed most as well.

This actually suited Thad fine, since this arrangement kept him out of harm's way, unless the rest of the party was slain, and even then he had his ways of making it out. So suffice to say, he readily accepted this plan, much to the surprise of the females.

Current GB rating: 3750 GP (Silver Axe)
Current Guild Rating: 10/20

Beware... My battlecry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thus the motley crew were off upon their road, the seven settling into comfortable formation as their steps grew more at ease.

Ellani and Rob kept to the front and the center with Pat close behind as Derrick scouted on ahead. Merlena walked a little behind them and Khamillah back a little further as Thad kept his pace at the rear, moving in no hurry yet keeping his pace swift enough to still be with the party.

They had passed the boundaries of Clu’mer past the Eastern Gate, following the path that led to the mountains along the Northern edge of the Nobles’ Forest on their right. On their left lay the vast acres of farmland of Yeoman’s Row, the bountiful harvest from which ever year flooded into the city’s bustling market place and into caravans to the towns of the North. A good portion of the best acres were owned by the older Noble families in the city, and those who worked the land invariably found most of the fruits of their labors lining the pockets of their landlords. Still there was still no shortage of smaller, family-run farms that dotted the landscape, their proud inhabitants toiling under the same sun and plowing the same fields as their fathers and their father’s fathers, and oftentimes their fathers as well. Such were the ones that they saw as they passed through their first miles, women and men alike going about happily with the planting and plowing that always marked this time of Spring.

A warm smile grew on Rob’s face as these sights rolled out before him, reminded immediately of his village and the hearty folk that so similarly toiled not three days’ journey to the North and the West.

“A fine adventurer I am,” Rob mumbled too low for anyone else to hear. “I’ve not traveled the road for a day and already I feel homesick.”

His smile faded when he considered Ellani, however, and how his thoughts must have so starkly contrasted with hers. She had been cast out of her home over three years ago only to learn in her absence of its utter and complete annihilation and the death of her family and kin, for all her knowledge leaving only her father and brother as the remnants of the life she’d once known and loved.

He might have said something then, if only to partially alleviate the irrational feeling of guilt that had silently crept into his mind, but thought better of it. There would be much time along their journey for such talks, and the bard did not wish to expose the proud fighter’s private pain in front of the rest of the group, thinking she would come to tell them in her own time as she saw fit.

Still he was uncomfortable with such silence in the midst of this number of companions, and decided that a little small talk couldn’t hurt.

“Is this what its like in your village?” Ellani preempted him, her eyes long since having followed his along the terrain that inspired such nostalgia in the young bard.

“Yes, something like this,” Rob replied after recovering from the surprise of the vixen’s sudden comment, his smile beginning to show once more. “Not two weeks ago I was working fields quite similar to these, making sure that my leaving would not cause my parents any more a burden than was inevitable.”

“It looks…” Ellani paused a moment as she thought for the correct word, its like never having been an overly used part of her vocabulary. “…Peaceful.”

“Aye, that it is,” Rob started before catching himself with a chuckle, recognizing that he had begun to sound like his father, who had picked up more than a few phrases and mannerisms from his long travels with Baen. “Very peaceful. Hard work, and plenty of it, but it gives a boy time to think and to dream… and to get himself kicked upside the head by unruly livestock if he’s not careful.”

Ellani shared his chuckle at the joke, but even then was considering her companion, thinking that such a life told a great deal of the bard’s patience and good-natured attitude, as well as the fair look of muscle that was often absent from others of his craft. She even thought a moment of how she would fare in such a life. Only a moment, for she knew that her warrior spirit could not so easily trade her axe for a plowshare.

They surely would have continued if Derrick had not emerged from the woods ahead of them just then, a grim expression of concern on the ranger’s face.

“There’s a problem.”

"This is PNN".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Now what?' an irate Thad thought, 'can't these numbskulls stay out of something for 24 hours on end?'

Unfortunately for him, Ellani didn't share his misgivings and commanded the party to a stop.

"Derrick, what've you seen?" she asked swiftly, her sharp eyes scanning the fields with doubled vigilance.

"It's not what I've seen that was so special, rather, what I didn't see," the lynx replied.

"Derrick dear, please don't talk in riddles," Marlena quickly said, noticing a hint of impatience in the vixen's form.

"Sure thing," he smiled to the skunkette before assuming a more serious air again. "About half a league ahead, there's an outlying farm, and it apeared completely deserted to me."

"Deserted? That's unusual," the ferret mumbled, most of the others, with the exception of the badger and the vixen, sharing that opinion.

"Probably overrun by a marauding band," she stated, seemingly disinterested, although a careful observer might have noticed that her brow was set into a slight frown and that the grip on her axe got a little firmer.

"Ellani?" Rob wondered, not used to his companion being so... passive, before he noticed the small changes in her posture. "Oh, never mind. I take it you'd like to investigate?"

"Why should we?" an annoyed voice came from a little behind them. "All I care for is that we get to the South as quickly as possible, without interruption."

"No one asked your opinion," the vixen snapped back, before turning her attention to the others again. "Of course we'll investigate. IF it's marauders' doing, someone should warn the neighbouring farms."

"That sounds like the natural thing to do," Pat, who had been silent up 'til now, affirmed. "The trees couldn't give me much information on the issue, so a first-hand investigation is in order."

Khamilah and Marlena didn't have much to add, and simply agreed.

"Robert?"

"You know I'll follow you wherever you'll be going, Ellani," he smiled, before adding a slightly-too-hasty remark to the others. "For making stories out of her adventures, of course."

Derrick, Marlena and Khamilah chuckled softly, thinking something along the lines of 'Yeah right!', before their amuselemt was broken by a quick command from the vixen.

"Move out."

The six started off towards the deserted farmstead in their arranged pattern, Thad staying behind.

"Thad, you too," Rob said, somehow knowing the Necromancer wasn't following.

"Once I'm free, someone's going to die in a very slow, VERY horrifying, but most of all, excruciatingly painful way," he grumbled under his breath as he started following the ferret.

Beware... My battlecry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down upon the path at the far edge of Yeoman’s Row they came upon the farm in question, Derrick having scouted it roughly a quarter of an hour before. Indeed something didn’t quite seem right about the place.

The place looked nothing short of disheveled, everything from wagon parts to animal bones dotting the ground all about the rundown barn and solitary farmhouse. Only one small field appeared suitable for planting, and even that appeared to be shoddily plowed with bits of weeded growth dotting about its face.

As they approached the broken door of the home, an aged portal of many holes barely remaining on its hinges, concerns grew. Garbage was strewn about all over the place along with a wide variety of broken dishes and shattered bits of wood, curious knicknacks of no discernable value and the tattered remnants of clothing.

Suffice to say that it seemed nigh uninhabitable, much less inhabited.

“Are you certain this is the right one?” Rob asked skeptically, not thinking that bandits would even bother with such a place.

Truthfully the bigger danger seemed to be termites than marauders of any sort.

“The half-eaten cow would seem to indicate that, yes,” Came the customary sarcastic reply from the back of the house, belonging of course to Thad.

Rob and Ellani went to the back window and looked out, seeing the Necromancer, Pat and Khamillah looking over what indeed appeared to be half the carcass of a dead cow.

“What makes you think it was eaten?” Rob asked, obviously repulsed by the sight.

“The flesh and hide,” Pat answered, pointing to the marks along the end of the cattle. “No blade made these jagged cuts. Definitely the work of teeth or talons… or something along those lines.”

“And the kill is fresh,” Khamillah added, tapping her chin at the curious sight. “Early this morning, if not sooner.”

“But if it is as you say, what could have done it?” Rob asked puzzledly, not knowing of many monstrous creatures in the area capable of such and act.

“Hard to say,” Khamillah began, taking a look about. “No tracks.”

Pat might have added his own thoughts then if not for his sudden distraction, for his ears picked up a faint yet strangey familiar sound coming from close by. It was a chittering of sorts, perhaps that of an insect, but much more pronounced and precise, indicating a larger creature. Yet there was no sign of such a creature about them from any direction.

Except down.

By the time Pat had figured out what was coming up beneath them it was too late, the mighty green Ankheg plowing out of the ground up to snatch the remaining piece of the cow that remained. The three standing about it were thrown and scattered, Khamillah being launched right up onto the roof of the farmhouse as Pat was knocked away by the Ankheg’s charge, leaving but Thad standing before the monstrous insect.

“Would that some day these idiots recognize the value of my advice,” He grumbled beneath his breath before extending his palm and launching forth several magical missiles to distract the Ankheg so that he could make his escape.

"This is PNN".
BlackDragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff was bored. For a dragon, this was definitely a bad thing, as it usually led to kidnapping maidens, razing villages to the ground, and eating bovines whole. But, seeing his position, he had to refrain from such entertainment, and was therefore bored out of his wits. He sighed heavily as he paced his room for the fiftieth time. There has to be SOMETHING to do around this boring town...Maybe I'll just go get Kyle and start a fight or something...Nah, don't want attention. I'd rather be bored out of my wits then bored to death, so taking Krystal on a shopping trip is out of the question... The dragon stopped pacing and jumped up and down a couple times, did a Jeet Kun Do Kata, and fifteen minutes later, he was still bored. What's the use? I'm just going to bed...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the next room, Kyle meditated, looking over the town of Clu'mer for any sign of what Jeff had found, and saw nothing. Frustrated, he decided to go for a walk instead, and walked outside. He wandered the streets, looking for nothing in particular, and finding the same. After about an hour of aimless wandering, he found himself in a part of town with a reputation for being unpleasant. He strode in unhesitantly, unaware that he was being followed. He walked down the street, suddenly noticing that the crowd was now nonexistant. He shrugged as he followed a path that was equally nonexistant, when a weasel stepped out of an alley and stood in the Monk's way. "Can I help you?"

"Yea, you can let me help myself to your stuff."

"All I have are the clothes on my back. If you want those, you'll have to fight for them." The weasel growled as he took out a knife from his ragged shirt.

"I have no problem with that!" The fur lunged forward, and Kyle simply sidestepped, and in one blurred motion, snapped the knife's blade and shot a roundhouse kick at the weasel, who fell flat from the blow. As if this were a signal, 5 more thugs leapt from the shadows, each bearing a makeshift weapon.

Great, just great. Kyle leapt to the attack, punching a wolf in the face with the same movement as he kicked a bull behind him. In short order, all of the would-be-thieves were lying on the ground, groaning in pain. The golden furred fox grinned, as his followers stepped from behind.

"I think that's pretty much suspicious."

"Yep. Arrest him." The two guards stepped closer to the monk as he backed away.

"Now wait just a minute! I was only defending myself!! HEY, BACK UP! I didn't do anything illegal!!!"

"You're under arrest for reckless endangerment, assault of innocent travelers, and...Uh...What else, Kato?"

"Assault of innocent citizens sounds good enough." Kyle wore a look of disgust as he was led away.

I might as well explain my actions to their captain, thse two are obviously dunces...

Brian: The time I got home. Why?

Temet Nocse.
Current favorite game music: FF8 Boss music, Tallgeese's theme (GW: Eternal Duel)
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ankheg shrieked in agony when the missiles hit it, the creature not used to be attacked without provocation. The projectiles weren't enough to kill it, bit they had caused it serious harm, to say the least, several of his chitinous plates having been ripped off, exposing its weak and tender flesh underneath.

Thad had taken advantage of the situation to create some distance between hiself and that creature, and was preparing a few more spells to finish it off should it charge towards him.

In the meantime, knowing quite a bit about Ankhegs, Khamilah, who had lept down from the roof, was unsuccessfully trying to convince the badger that such action was uncalled for, and that the insect hadn't been intent on attacking him in the first place, while Pat, who had gathered himself on his feet again, was, equally unsuccessfully, trying to calm down the wounded Ankheg.

It's next action came as a surprise to the badger though. Instead of fleeing or charging madly like most wounded animals, it suddenly spewed forth a jet of acid at the badger, who managed but not entirely, to leap out of the way of the corrosive fluid. Fortunately, only his robe was doused in the substance, and an intelligent mage as he was, the cloth was enchanted to resist such assaults.

It didn't improve the necromancer's already bad mood though.

"How DARE you?" he roared, as a nimbus of bright red energy started playing over his outstretched paw.

The druidic vulpine of the group had finally managed to charm the enraged insect, making it forego its murderous intentions towards the creature that had hurt it, so he could start healing its wound. The ottress on the other paw still didn't succeed in changing the Necromancer's mind.

"STOP IT!" a very familiar female voice shouted, though not even Ellani's appearance, racing to interpose herself between the insect and the badger, could sway him.

"Thad, that's enough," Rob, who followed close behind, commanded. "This Ankheg did nothing wrong, so stay your spell."

"BAH!" the badger sneered, slowly dissipating the energies built up in his paw. "Next time you numbskulls get in a mess, don't expect me to help you out."

"Don't expect me to help you out either," the vixen retorted. "I don't help fools like you."

"FINE!"

Not caring whether she wanted to add anything more, Thad turned away from the warrior female, grumbling something that sounded suspiciously like: "curse them all, those unwashed barbarians."

"How is he?" Ellani asked, turning her attention to Pat.

"He'll live," the vulpine answered once he finished administering a healing spell. "Thad did serious damamge to his exoskeleton, but not much to his interior organs."

"Good. Too bad that fool doesn't know how useful these creatures are."

Hearing a note of respect in her voice, Rob looked at her in surprise.

"Ellani? what do you mean?"

"Simple. For one, a friendly tribe held a small Meg'orri farm to fertilise their fields, and second, one of them was reared as a mount for their chief, and a mighty mount it was," she explained, her voice trailing off at the end, a nostalgic edge in it. "It was an awesome sight, seeing him ride the plains... he was one of the very few furs among all tribes that actually HAD a warmount."

Beware... My battlecry
Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“It’s a big bug,” Thad stated flatly, his arms idly crossing his chest as the gooey acid dissipated from his robes. “It would be better off squished.”

“Did you not listen to anything I said?” Ellani growled angrily as her snapped around towards the Necromancer.

“Why would I start now?” Thad carelessly shrugged, not concerning himself with the fighter’s opinions.

This might have been the beginnings of a mighty conflagration had not a furious cry rose up from the woods at their side just then. Emerging at a dead run was an old man, formerly a farmer by the looks of him, with wild unkempt hair and features telling of the crazed man’s hermit-like existence.

“UUUURGH! TRES’N’PASSERS!” He shouted at the top of his aged lungs, swinging a rusty sickle over his head as he surged towards them.

All instinctively placed their hands near their weapons, but not really out of fear from the newly arrived fellow. The Ankheg, though subdued by Pat, was wounded, and in such a condition many beasts fell back on their most basic instincts in the face of what they perceived to be peril.

But, as if an answer to those very concerns, the frazzled farmer suddenly stopped to observe the great green creature. Only half of its body was above ground, and even that towered well over ten feet, its huge black obsidian-like eyes remaining stationary as huge pincers and legs moved about uneasily. Such a sight would have been imposing to even the bravest of men, but the man’s reaction was surprising indeed.

“MORTY’MER!” He cried out in horror, dropping his weapon and rushing over to hug the Ankheg’s damaged shell.

All mouths were agape then, the confused adventurers looking upon the scene with no conceivable level of confusion. The man was already crying, sobbing into the creature’s natural armor and holding onto it as best he could. Even more surprisingly the Ankheg, who even Khamillah and Pat half-expected would gobble up the eccentric fellow, merely turned to regard the man as undeniably familiar.

“Who dun’ this?!?” The hermit scowled as tears ran down his face, turning angrily to face the trespassers. “Which one of ya’ hurt poor Morty’mer?”

There was no need for finger pointing, for Thad was already standing out in front of the group. He had no doubt they’d reveal him, anyway, and he felt no remorse for his act against a senseless beast.

“I defended myself against your stupid pet, if that’s what you are asking,” The Necromancer stated with a scowl of his own, certainly not planning to take any kind of scolding from this one.

“LIARS” Came the snarled reply, the man’s sorrow now thoroughly replaced by anger. “Morty’mer would never’ve attacked ya’! He’d never hurts a fly, ya’ idjits!”

Though even the others behind Thad had to admit that the half-eaten cow carcass just below the Ankheg’s mouth did seem to suggest differently.

“Look, Mister…” Pat began, pausing in the hopes of getting a name from the strange man.

“JESPLIN!” He replied, flailing his spindly arms about wildly in anger. “JESPLIN’S HOME, YER IN!”

“Mister Jesplin,” Pat acknowledged, though he curiously noted another thing when the lanky figure had opened his mouth.

His teeth, down to the last one, appeared to be solid gold.

The name was not unknown to Rob, but it held particular interest to Khamillah. Along her travels she had heard a few stories about an old hermit who resided about these parts, his wild eccentricities matched only by his love and favor for exotic creatures and usually dangerous creatures. Though nothing was mentioned of any kind of great weapons or fantastical items the fellow had carried, every time the same detail was always present. The wild man’s prized possessions, beyond perhaps anything in the world except for his beast friends, were his teeth. Gold teeth.

Though this man fit the rough and vague descriptions offered along with the stories, she noted something that few of those storytellers could have known. Jesplin had been, and very much still was, a ranger.

Even Thad recognized the name, but in passing only. At most he had heard it a few times around some meeting table, usually bored out of his mind as some fool Nobles discussed the peculiarities of Clu’mer agriculture, mainly the positive yields made possible by the small, tamed population of Ankhegs.

“We did not mean to trespass,” Pat continued on, trying to get ahold of the situation. “We saw the condition of your farm here…”

“Yur insulting me home now?!?” Jesplin accused wildly, his hands clenched into furied fists at his sides.

“No!” Pat exclaimed exasperatedly, not sure how to proceed with the wild man.

“My apologies, good sir,” Rob butted in with a low bow and a sweep of his cloak. “We mean you no offense, I assure you. We were given some… bad information that led us to believe that you may have been in peril. Similarly, we truly meant to cause no harm to your friend as well. He surprised us, merely, and I’m afraid my companion is rather high strung.”

Thad did not miss the non-too-subtle reference to him, and surely would have bellowed a sarcastic reply had not the bard continued.

“We are, of course, willing to make restitution,” Rob quickly put in, now standing upright before the man. “Simply tell us how to make this terrible incident up to you and we will happily comply.”

Jesplin bore a look that was more curious than anything else as he considered the words of the bard, the crazed conjecture of just a few moments before replaced by what appeared to be a cool and calculating mind.

“I be inclined ta’ acquiesce to yur request,” Jesplin stated confidently, using a much broader vocabulary but still keeping the same meandering mumble that marked his speech.

“Good,” Rob smiled, finding some hope that the situation may yet be peacefully resolved. “And what is it you ask of us?”

“I is demandin’…” He paused, and Rob was quick to notice the altering of his term of speech, his chest puffed out proudly. “All yer material goods! Gold, silver, plat-y-num, and shiny gemstomes, yuppers!”

But before any could react to such a wild demand, the addled stranger added one important thing.

“Or yer magic-feller has to say sorry to poor Morty’mer!”

“You want me to apologize to a bug?!?” Thad balked incredulously, thoroughly insulted by the demand.

“Nope! Morty’mer wouldn’t understands yer silly words,” Jesplin answered honestly, patting the injured Ankheg on the side. “Yers has to be kissin’ him ta’ mend his hurted feelings, yuppers!”

“KISS A BUG?!?” Thad roared with pale green eyes ablaze with indignant fury, his fingers in such a grip that they would have cracked the surface had he held any ordinary staff within them. “DO HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM?!?”

Jesplin must have known the question to be rhetorical, for he only folded his spindly arms and waited, a casually serious look on his face that one might have expected from a business man negotiating an important contract.

“Agreed,” Rob replied simply, drawing the Necromancer’s furious gaze to him. “Well, you heard him. Pucker up.”

Thad gasped and stammered and choked over the countless words that came to his mouth and lips then, none in the least seeming appropriate for what he felt at the order.

But the rational and logical part of Thad’s mind that remained fully active knew that order carried the power of magic behind it, the very same magic that bound him to that hated contract he knew the bard held beneath his cloak.

“So be it,” Thad snarled through clenched teeth, even in his anger not daring to risk the punishment that contract held for disobeying such a direct and present order.

He skulked forward, his rage showing with each step as he came to stand before the towering creature and the possibly insane fellow who called it a friend. He stayed there a long moment, hands wringing around his magical staff in the same motion with which he might have wrung a person’s neck.

“If you had but anything worth taking, fool, I’d strike you down,” Thad mumbled far too low for anyone present to hear.

Except for Jesplin, apparently, for his eyes suddenly went wide with horror and clamped his dirty hands over his gaping mouth. The steady, firm demeanor that he had sported just seconds before gone without so much of a hint that it had ever existed.

“YA’ COME FER MAH TEEF!” He shrieked and spun about, making a fast series of clicking noises by a joint effort of his teeth, lips and tongue.

The Ankheg, somehow understanding perfectly the man’s intentions, did a similar spin and dove downwards into the ground, creating a huge hole that was greater in circumfurance than even the creature itself.

With further clicking, perhaps to urge his friend onward, Jesplin leaped onto the Ankheg’s back and rode down into the tunnel, disappearing with amazing speed from the surface.

Thad stood next to the massive hole and peered down, soon joined by the other members of the group, none entirely sure of exactly what had transpired just then.

“Oh well,” Rob shrugged, seeing no signs of either the man or the creature’s immediate return. “We’d best be on our way.”

All nodded and agreed, knowing that no more good could likely come of their staying any longer. Khamillah was quite crestfallen to see the strange man go, however. She had wanted to talk to him, perhaps gain some information from the unusual fellow. But she knew it would likely have been fruitless, the man’s mind having years ago been robbed of most of its sense.

They left swiftly as they came, continuing along the path that would lead them to Steppinslope hills and to the mighty mountain range beyond.

"This is PNN".
BlackDragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You idiots! We are looking for a magic user! This poor fellow you just dragged off of the streets is OBVIOUSLY NOT a magic user!" The captain turned to Kyle. "You can leave, but I'd like to ask you a question."

"Go ahead."

"Did you enter this city alone?" Kyle smiled. The answer didn't require much thought. They were looking for Jeff, it seemed, but Kyle hadn't ENTERED the city with his master, so with his answer, he could be truthful and not jepeordize the sage's position in this city.

"I came here with a cleric wolfette, but that's all." The captain leaned closer, as if to examine the monk's face for a trace of a lie. The fur retired back into his chair and nodded.

"Thank you, that's all we needed to know. You may leave now, and try to avoid the part of town you were in before. In case you didn't notice, it's pretty rough."

"Thank you, sir. I'll keep that in mind." Kyle bowed his head in respect, then turned and left.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"So, I'm a wanted fugitive now?" Jeff chuckled as he shifted the stone around in his hands.

"Yes, so what do we do now?" Kyle stared at the stone, which Jeff set upon the table. The crimson object spun of it's own accord, eventually pointing south.

"Of COURSE we have to go that way. Krystal will be thrilled." Kyle was now doubly confused as he glared at the rock which had moved by itself.

"What? I don't understand, what are we doing?" Jeff picked up the stone, and smiled as he held it out.

"This is only a fragment, Kyle! Only a part of a whole! There's more of these out there, and I want to...NEED to unite them! Each part seeks the others, and that's how I'll find them!" Kyle's expression of confusion changed quickly into concern.

"Jeff, are you okay? You're acting strangely..."

"You're right, Kyle, I'm sorry. But...I'm not making you follow me. Go ahead and go home." Kyle grinned.

"Yea, yea. You're not getting rid of me THAT easily! I'm behind you all the way. Gotta keep you out of trouble."

"Oh, so you're not behind me to stare at my ass?"

"That was unnecesary and it hurt, deeply." If it actually did, it didn't register on the broad grin Kyle wore. Jeff matched the grin, and lifted his hand. Kyle met it and shook.

"Guess I'm stuck with you. Don't annoy me, and you'll be fine."

"I wouldn't dream of it."

Brian: The time I got home. Why?

Temet Nocse.
Current favorite game music: FF8 Boss music, Tallgeese's theme (GW: Eternal Duel)
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trek to Steppinslope hills went rather smoothly, if one could call the current state of relations between Thad and the rest of the group 'smooth', without any interruptions from something worse than a small band of marauding humanoids, mostly orcs and gnolls.

Ellani actually welcomed these attacks, for though she was very much able to deal with them alone, she chose not to, letting the others handle the matters so she could judge their methods of attack and defense, slightly adjusting their respective roles in the party where needed.

One thing that she did insist on, and that was MUCH to the necromancer's, and surprisingly, also to Marlena's dismay, was a daily weapon drill of about an hour. Nothing could change her mind on it however, so each day the group, except for the two unwilling ones, spent practicing against each other, Ellani usually choosing two to one odds against her, and loving it.

The first days they did this, Marlena tried to engage in conversation with the irked Thad, only receiving a dismissive grunt in response at the best of times, and getting insulted for everything that's unholy the last time she tried. After that, the skunkette didn't press the point any longer, and contented herself with taking a walk around their camping site.

One such evening, the evening that the group reached the base of the Steppinslope hills to be precise, this habit of her would lead to an unexpected encounter.

Beware... My battlecry
Pat The Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Damn thing..much heavier than a ..eeyah... staff" Pat muttered as he swung he sword again at an invisiblen target, still unused to the way it handled. He knew combat was inevitable, even if he wanted to avoid it, so he snuck off around the evenings when all were resting and chatting, not being one for much conversation anyway; travelling alone had left hi social skills lacking somewhat.

Most Druids preferred a scimitar or something of a more lighter value at there side, but Pat knew that these weapons were easily broken in battle at the hands of barbrians and other such large beings who weilded battle axes as quick as daggers. That's why Pat sought out one of the mystic weaponsmiths.

It had been one of his own personal quests after completing Avenger school, before he took upon the long journey to Cul'mer. The road had tested his skill with his staff and his practice scimitar to a degree that both were in much need of repair when he arrived. He remebered the look on the smiths face when he strode in.

===============

"My, we're quite aways from the grove young one, and it appears the path has been quite eventful" The Badger grinned as he lifted a iron from the hearth, poking at the coals "Now what bring you along young druid"

"I seek the mystic weaponsmith of these parts, and am told you are he" the young todd panted as he gazed upon the dirt covered man, his chest rising and falling from the lack of breath after sprinting the last few yards "I am told he can make weapons lighter than air itself"

"Oh not lighter than" chuckled the old badger "But very close to it.. want me to buff up that scimitar of your's young one?"

"No." The yound todd spoke almost demandingly, much to the badgers suprise "I wish a new weapon made, A long sword as grand as the celts"

"That would be a big weapon for someone of your profession. Most druids aren't meant for brawn..." The badger spoke knowingly as he moved to his anvil, selecting a few tools "And a long sword does require much strength to control and weild proper"

"I will learn" The todd replied strerntly, his chest puffed a bit as he stood defiant, his mind set.

"Alright young one, I see you're set in your ways, no changing a man's decision once it's set in stone" As he moved to his metals, putting some into the pot "I can't make this thing feather light but it will be as light as possible, though I am missing a few key elements for the magical part of this process. I will need.."

"A pure diamond, ten small rubies, some mithril, dolovite iron, ewaekep copper and a pinch of brimstone" the young todd cut in as he produced a small satchel "I did a little reading and knew these were key components"

"Smart lad" chuckled the badger "You knowledge shall be rewarded, especially if it is kept secret my friend."

"Those words shall be locked in my head forever" smiled the fox as he sat "How much do I owe you?"

"Nothing. Such is the reward for knowledge and trust" Chuckled the badger as he slid the pot of metals over the fire to heat "Now lad, tell me about your travels"

=============================

"I will learn" Pat mentally barked at himself as he began swinging again, the blade making slight wooshing noises in the air as he sliced with it.

fuzzy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregori winced visibly as he began to strip down, reminded of the fact that pounding Trolls, to say nothing of evading packs of hunters for about three days, could be quite taxing upon the body. He, like his companion, had not slept much over the past few days and had relaxed even less, always on the alert for danger that might sneak upon them from the shadows.

He started with his cloak, letting it slump off of his shoulders and on to the ground beside the steamy pool. His gloves and boots quickly followed with his unsleeved shirt close behind, all showing splatters of the substances he had pounded from his foes and the earth. Finally he removed his trousers and stepped his feet cautiously into the water, knowing that the temperatures of such things could often be unpredictable.

It seemed comfortable enough, though, and before long he had slipped his weary body into the water up to his neck, wearing nothing more than the leather strap that ever bound his eyes and blinded him to the sights of the world around him.

Though Gregori was hardly blind, as his experience over the past period had so clearly shown. Ever since he and Malfus had signed on with this group, their newest employers, things had gotten no easier then they had when the two were in desperate flight from a fifty-strong pack of female rangers known as ‘Huntresses’. Apparently their rescue at the hand of Miravin Pikeplammer and his Ragerunner bears had raised the ire of whatever powers had so wickedly pursued them, and judging by everything he heard from Malfus the pursuit would not end anytime soon.

Not wanting to bring such pressure on their rescuers, both the monk and the bounty hunter had emerged from the countless tunnels of the underground complex daily. Splitting into two directions, they sought to feignt and throw off the patterns of the ever-increasing number of huntresses that seemed to appear from around every corner and crevice through the Southern Hills. Gregori’s crossbow and Malfus’ shortbow had both seen ample action in these hasty skirmishes, yet to their knowledge not a single enemy had fallen dead or even mortally wounded by either of their actions.

For neither the monk nor the marksman had the desire to kill and both respected the other man’s reasons, knowing full well that few foes would share such an outlook on dealing out their demise. Each much preferred to simply lay a wounding or disabling blow that would eliminate the danger of further pursuit, leaving them free to worry about the next opponent that was usually already gunning for them. They had been accompanied by Miravin and his kin the first few times, but the experienced bears quickly realized that could not match the pair’s speed and would only be a drag on their little game of cat and mouse. So they let the hired help have their fun and, making sure enough tunnels were open for their expedious retreat if necessary, returned to their own pressing business.

Malfus and Gregori both had down a masterful job in their game, and not a single time had the Huntresses come even close to finding out the location of their new and temporary home. But the days went on, one after another, and each in passing took its toll.

“Ah, a good idea as always, my friend!” Came an ever familiar voice from over the monk’s shoulder, and the stoic man did not even react when he felt his friend splash down in the water beside him.

“Oooh ho ho, a good idea indeed,” Malfus sighed audibly as the aching ocelot eased and stretched himself out in the naturally warmed water, meaning to get every last knot out of his muscles before his bath was through. “I dare say these springs are a godsend. Surely there are some rejuvinative properties to be found in these waters!”

Gregori didn’t reply, knowing the ocelot’s claim to be one of praise for the spring than an actual suggestion of their supposed power. The waters had been of great relief to them both, helping to ease the strain from their overused muscles and bring them to a point of relaxation where they could prepare themselves for yet another day dodging and dashing across the hilltops. The burden had fallen most upon the shoulders of Malfus, though, being nearly twice the monk’s age and not nearly as nimble after fifty years of fearlessly facing danger. If Gregori was fatigued by this whole experience, surely the bounty hunter was downright exhausted, despite his brave show to indicate otherwise.

“I’ve a full quiver for tomorrow’s games,” Malfus continued, in the months he had known the monk having grown accustomed to playing both parts in a conversation. “And I took the liberty of asking Tobias to refill that bandoleer of yours with a new supply of darts. Though you’ll still have to fill them with that sleep solution yourself, of course.”

Gregori nodded silently, knowing that he would not have trusted anyone else with such a delicate task anyway.

“Oh, and I grabbed one of these from you as well,” The elder man added suddenly, slipping his slender fingers into his nearby clothes pile and removing a small metal throwing star. “Seems the Banbringers don’t have much experience making the things, but they’re more than willing to see if they can make up a supply for you.”

And with that he threw the shuriken dead towards his silent friend, who caught the fearsome projectile easily with but a swift motion of his talented hand. Malfus dared to muse that the monk’s movement hadn’t even disturbed the water.

Gregori tossed it back onto his own pile of clothing, not having been overly surprised that his friend had been able to pick it from his pocket. The bounty hunter was, afterall, a rogue of many talents that all had been honed by many years of practice and experience. He held the utmost respect for the elder fellow and trusted him completely, to which he was given the same quickly in return.

A pause followed as the two simply enjoyed the warmth and relaxation provided by the pool’s waters, their bodies muscles muttering silent prayers to whatever god might have been responsible for such wonders as the hot springs.

“Looks like it will be rain,” Malfus stated after a few moments, speaking in a serious tone for the first time since he’d set down. “According to the clerics and the bears.”

Gregori nodded again, this time slightly more grimly as the words reached his ears. He had felt the increase in humidity that day as well as the lack of sunshine on his body blocked by what must have been ominous clouds. Malfus knew that the monk simply could not function as he usually did in such conditions. Rain washed away the scents that guided his nose and winds too high would take him off balance and interfere with the waves of sound that flooded to his percept ears. Indeed he would have trouble discerning the motions of his enemies with billions of tiny liquid projectiles falling from the sky for miles around him in any direction.

“Perhaps I should go out alone tomorrow, give you a day to rest up and get your bearings,” Malfus offered, always sensitive to the needs of the companion who had aided him so well these past few months. “The rain will make my trail even more difficult for them to find, and already they can barely keep up with us on days where there’s not a cloud in the sky!”

“You would still be hard pressed,” The monk reminded him, the steamy water now lapping at his chin. “They add more to the pack with each unsuccessful hunt.”

“All too true,” Malfus grinned, pleased at knowing that his friend’s words were those of concern. “But I compensated for that. They could send a hundred out to hound me and it would not be enough!”

“Perhaps,” Gregori stated noncommittally, though he had learned long ago never to discount the archer’s words as mere boasts. He had no doubt that the man spoke the truth, but that certainly would not make the task anywhere near an easy one.

“Ah, you’ll see,” Malfus declared with a rather silly wink, since the monk of course could not see the gesture. “But it means you get to go out on your own and give me a rest the next day if the sun’s shining. Agreed?”

Gregori paused a moment in thoughtful contemplation. The idea made sense and was fairly logical from most standpoints, but that of course didn’t mean the monk as any more keen on it.

“We’ll see how the weather is,” The monk stated noncommittally, laying back against the side of the pool and slowly stretching all the kinks from his body one muscle at a time, just in case.

###

“AGAIN?!?” Saymynthi snarled as she glared at the two Huntresses from her chair, her knuckles nearly white as they clutched the armrests.

The weasel femme off to the side gulped as she witnessed the heights of anger the Slavemistress was reaching. Indeed they had returned from the hunt unsuccessful, again, and neither she nor Varash had any real valid excuse to justify the continuous alluding of the two males.

They both breathed in a sudden gasp of air when they saw Saymynthi’s gaze snap from them to a row of pikes along the wall. Each pike bore the head of a huntress who had been in the hunting party, those unlucky few that had been unfortunate enough to return without a wound, the only legitimate excuse Saymynthi would accept of her huntresses returning in shame and failure. Those more intelligent and experienced had caught onto the concept early, and if they bore no wound upon return that had been inflicted upon them by their quarry, then they simply self-inflicted one in the hope it would spare their lives.

The Slavemistress was no fool, though, and they all knew that soon only very serious wounds indeed would save them from their place in the line of pikes.

That’s not to say that Saymynthi enjoyed doling out such a punishment. In fact, she found it most distasteful and inefficient, but there were few motivating options left for her. She certainly didn’t have enough cursed belts of gender changing for them all.

“Again…” The Slavemistress repeated, this time more low and more angry. Without warning she lept to her feet, towering over the two huntresses. “TOMORROW!” She roared. “YOU WILL BRING THEM TO ME TOMORROW!”

“B-but, Mistress…” Varash began, suddenly regretting the large amount of Beserker’s leaf she had earlier indulged in. “The rains will come tonight, and well into tomorrow as well. It will be almost impossible to track those repulsive males down in such conditions, even with fifty of our sisters…”

“THEN TAKE MORE!” Saymynthi roared, her eyes flaring with anger as if the word ‘sister’ had suddenly set off a fire in the vixen’s mind. “DOUBLE THE NUMBER! NO! TRIPLE IT IF YOU HAVE TO! JUST BRING THEM TO ME TOMORROW!”

“A hundred huntresses…” Varash began before she was interrupted once more.

“No! A hundred and fifty,” Saymynthi stated with finality, obviously thinking that tripling the number was the better course. “I don’t care how you do it, but bring me those wretches! In pieces if you have to!”

“Y-y-yes, Mistress,” Varash gulped audibly, fearing that even the slightest word might send the vixen into a fiery rage that involved more than just words. “It shall be as you command.”

“As Lady Celonia commands,” Saymynthi corrected with a piercing gaze that practically bore straight through the huntress, eyes so narrow and focused as to remind her that such punishments as she’d seen would be considered merciful compared to the ‘discipline’ to be found in the fabled dungeons of Citadel Gueratar.

“Yes! Yes, as Lady Celonia commands,” Varash nodded furiously, casting a worried look over to her more diminuative weasel ‘sister’ who seemed every bit as unnerved as she.

“Good. Then rest and be out under the cover of the great storm clouds in the early morn,” The Slavemistress ordered calmly, her rage seeming to have subsided at least somewhat. “Perhaps you can use them to your advantage against such wily foes.”

“Understood, Mistress. I shall not fail you,” Varash stated before nodding to the weasel femme and starting towards the door, passing through the portal just in time to hear the vixen’s last chilling words.

“No. You won’t.”

"This is PNN".
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That evening, Marlena hadn't returned yet from her walk in solitude, although the weapon drill was well over an hour finished, and over half of the party was relaxing by the campfire, Ellani doing her best to teach Rob her language, something he proved quite apt at, while Khamilah and Derrick talked about various things to each other.

Suddenly, the ottress looked up, and glanced around the campsite. She noticed the badger, sulking on his own, the vixen and the ferret together, Pat some distance off, slowly but steadily getting the hang of his unwieldy weapon, and then... no one?

"Derrick," she whispered to the lynx, not wishing to cause more anxiety than necessary, "where's Marlena? Shouldn't she be back by now?"

"You're right, let's see if we can find out where she is."

With a mutual nod, the two rose and excused themselves, before splitting up to cover as much ground as possible in the shortest time.

About 10 minutes later, Khamilah chanced upon something that undoubtably was a sign that the skunk femme was there, her staff, lying a few yards away from the blackened corpse of an Ogre. The ranger quickly checked her surroundings for tracks and found them easily, thanks to Ogres being notorious for their lack of stealth.

"Derrick!" she called out, drawing the attention of not only the lynx, but the others as well.

"I'll go check, Robert, you, Pat and Thad stay behind to safeguard the camp," the vixen decided quickly, before gripping her axe in her paws and rising.

"As you wish, Ellani. DO be careful, okay?"

"Don't worry, Robert," she smiled, turning her head towards him, "I have no intention in dying before even reaching my homelands."

Ellani then set off towards the source of the sound, arriving there a few minutes before Derrick.

"Looks like Marlena ran into trouble," she stated coldly, "let's get her out."

"Please wait a bit, Derrick's on his way," Khamilah replied, knowing that the lynx formed a good team with her.

"Okay," the vixen sighed in reply, "but if I'm reading these signs right, we don't have time to waste. Ogres taking captives usually means one thing."

"I know what it means, but Derrick and I work together well, and..."

"Understood," the larger of the two femmes smiled, "you wait for him here, while I go ahead. I can't track nearly as good as you, but I'll be a runt if I lose THOSE tracks."

"We'll meet up with you in 5 minutes then," the ottress replied, seeing the vixen disappear into the gloom of the evening.

'Marlena, please be safe...'

Ellani followed the trail slowly, pausing a few times to sniff the air and assure herself she was on the right track. Fortunately for her, Ogres tend to leave a rather strong odour behind that remains in place for several hours, and as such, she never had to backtrack, and made her way right to the entrance of the cavern the Ogres were using as a hideout.

She quickly peered inside, seeing a red gloom emanate from deep within.

Suddenly, she heard the approach of two creatures and turned on the spot, breathing a sigh of relief when she noticed the two were Khamilah and Derrick.

"And?" the ottress whispered once she was close enough.

"I just got here myself," the vixen replied in a hushed tone. "I told you I don't track as well as you."

Derrick wasn't paying attention to the hushed conversation between the two femmes as his blade 'Spell Breaker' was intruding on his mind, claiming that several evil being were in the cavern ahead, one of them possessing great power, and urging him on to slay them at once. He slowly crept inside the cavern, not heeding the two females' warnings and CERTAINLY not knowing that his approach, or rather his blades' approach, was as clear to the beings ahead as a rhino's charge.

The leader of the Ogre band, a rather old and powerful Ogre Mage, chuckled deeply when he sensed the lynx' approach.

"Another meal's coming..." his voice rumbled, causing a round of laughter from the Ogres.

'Beasts,' Derrick thought, as he considered the possible reasons for their mirth. 'To Hell with them.'

He blinked as suddenly, the gloom ahead subsided into pitch-black darkness but didn't plan on retreating. At the entrance of the cave, a soft sigh escaped the lips of the two femmes.

"They noticed him, I'm afraid," Khamilah whispered, and received a confirming nod from Ellani. "I'll sneak behind and try to see what we'll be facing in there."

"Okay."

Khamilah silently snuck behind, and saw Derrick be enveloped by total darkness, something which sent a chill through her heart. She knew enough about Ogres to know that they were facing TOUGH opposition, in the form of a Mage. Not long thereafter, the sound of something impacting with something else, and a body falling on the floor, confirmed that some great tactical mind was directing the Ogres' actions.

The ottress quickly returned to where Ellani was, and related her suspicions to the vixen, who grimaced, also knowing a few things about Ogre Magi, and not liking it.

"We need backup," she concluded. "I'll stay here just in case the Ogres foray again, while you get Rob, Pat AND Thad."

Khamilah looked at her in surprise, since the antipathy between the two had been steadily growing, having almost resulted a few times in violence.

"I hate to admit it, but we need Thad here," she explained.

"I... understand," the ottress nodded and quickly made her way back to the campsite.

Beware... My battlecry
Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“And this is my concern… how?” Thad asked evenly, not even looking up from the tome he was currently reading.

“Didn’t you hear what I said?” Khamillah asked exasperatedly, already having repeated her description of the situation to the badger twice over. “They’re in trouble! They could already be dead!”

“Oh, what a tragedy that would be,” Thad replied disinterestly, turning another page in the large book. “We’ve been on the road… how long? And already they require their lives saved? You should have picked better company.”

Khamillah grimaced, more because of the callous disinterest than the apparent insult. She would well have brought about a fierce, though she knew futile, verbal barrage had not another voice stepped in.

“Now, Thad,” Rob said firmly, already prepped and ready for a fight with Pat similarly equipped behind him. “You coming with us, and you’re going to save them. That’s an order. Got it?”

Thad, for his part, did not respond angrily. He had fully expected this to happen, seeing as he had so tested his boundaries with the bard ever since their first fateful meeting back in Clu’mer. Truthfully he did not hold any true personal animosity towards the bard or even so much any of the other companions, but he felt it his duty to resist what he considered to be an unnatural state of existance, comparing it to the concept that a Prisoner’s first duty is to escape.

“Fine,” Thad said simply as he closed the tome, placing it into a pocket in his robe far too small for such an object, yet fitting it in without trouble. “Take me to them.”

Satisfied, if not overly thrilled, with Thad’s acceptance, Khamillah quickly sped off in the direction of the Ogre’s cave, the three others keeping fair pace with her all the way there.

“Over here,” She whispered, moving through the night and the covering foliage to meet up with Ellani, who was still keeping an eye on the cave.

“Ogre mage,” Ellani said even more quietly, not having been able to keep a full eye on all the events of the ogres’ business.

“Grin’Talok,” Thad said simply, not even bothering to lower the volume of his voice.

“You know his name?” Rob asked surprisedly, having moved in close to Ellani to get a better look.

“I’ve heard a few things. Tribe of Ogres led by an Ogre mage around the Steppinslope hills causing trouble to travelers and whatnot,” The Necromancer spoke as casually as one might speak about the weather. “Usually captures them, eats the females himself, leaves the males for his minions to divide up.”

Worried looks shot across each assembled face, the bit of information seeming to confirm their worst fears.

But as was so common the case when dealing with his like, Thad had not told the whole truth. His words were true, there could be no doubt, but he had intentionally omitted a fact that the others may have found interesting. This Grin’Talok had a particular fear of the practitioners of magic of other races, and as such always sought out weak or vulnerable ones so that he could capture and eat them, thinking that the act allowed him to absorb their power along with their body. The Ogre Mage normally would never challenge another magic-user openly, and always preferred instead to have them incapacitated and brought to him for an easy meal. Thad would do the job for them.

“You want this taken care of?” Thad asked almost rhetorically, for he knew well the answer. “Then I shall do so. By myself, and on the condition that none of you yokels interferes, no matter what happens.”

“What, so you can strike a deal with the Ogres to save your own skin?” Ellani snapped, her tone slightly higher than she had meant it to be.

“By my word, that will not happen,” Thad spoke neutrally, pointing to the location of one of the many pockets in Rob’s cloak. “That will see to it.”

Rob paused a moment as he considered the man’s words. He held no doubt of Thad’s sincerity, for indeed the contract had ample punishment should he try and go against his word, but he somewhat doubted Thad’s ability to kill a tribe of Ogres, an Ogre mage and rescue two captives while still coming out alive.

After a moment’s thought, he had his decision.

###

“Hee hee hee. Come in, Silly hero!” Grin’Talok giggled gleefully as he held a helplessly bound skunkette, the prisoner his kin had brought to him not long before. “Tha’ damsel in distress awaits!”

The Ogre mage had sensed the second magical aura as it had begun to approach, naturally thinking it to be someone familiar with the female he had just been given. He would do as he had done before with such foolish would-be rescuers. If the mystery fellow attacked to try and save the damsel, the Ogres would kill him. If he took the path of self-sacrifice, offering himself be eaten in place of his beloved, then they’d eat him and then eat her afterwards anyway. It was all so very easy, and oftentimes quite fun depending on the mood of the cook at that given time.

But as the aura grew nearer, Grin noticed something very peculiar. Unlike those he had encountered and devoured over the years, he felt no excitement at its approach. Moreso, he could sense well enough that this was no cavalier or knight meant to rescue and conquer.

When his eyes caught sight of the badger, the Ogre mage’s concerns grew. This was no mageling that stood before him, and the knowledge that this conscious man that stood before him was by far greater in the black arts that he truly unnerved the monstrous creature. He looked on curiously as the figure took calm, casual steps, almost as if he were walking though some desolate street fighting off boredom.

“Grin’Talok,” Thad spoke simply, seeming completely at ease an uninterested with the situation.

“Yes…” The Ogre mage shook his head to bring his mind about to present business, hoping that by addressing the wizard as an equal he might gain an edge on him. “Ermm…”

Quickly Grin’s mind raced, thinking over the names of any powerful wizards he had heard about in tales and stories that might match the cold visage that now stood so casually before him.

“Umm… Edwin the Red?” The Ogre spoke hopefully, noting the patterns of red in his visitor’s mostly green robes.

“No. None have seen that conjurer since his unfortunate stand against a much more powerful mage,” Thad replied disinterestly, as if it made no difference whether the answer were right or wrong. “By the by, ‘her’ name is ‘Edwina’ now.”

“Oh…” Grin bit his bottom lip tentatively as he looked about to the dozen or so of his kin that occupied the cave with him. They all seemed to have the same wary look on their gnarled faces, clearly under the impression that there was indeed something unnerving about the trespasser. “Umm… the Sorceror Nathan Moonservant?”

Thad’s eyes narrowed visibly at the mention of the name, though whether it be because of the Ogre’s mistake or bringing up the name of one of his old rivals, Grin knew immediately it wasn’t a good sign.

“Um! Um! Um!” Grin stammered quickly, trying to look as though he had the name on the tip of his tongue. “…Martendle… Quickseer?”

“DO I LOOK LIKE SOME HOOK-NOSED GNOME ILLUSIONIST TO YOU?!?” Thad suddenly roared, giving the mighty ogres all a start down to the last.

“No! No! Um… maybe?” Grin scrambled, so put off kilter by this experience that he almost forgot about the bound and gagged captive beside him. “Um, um, um, um… maybe, you could tell me?”

“Thadamaeus Necmerian,” Thad spoke sternly with a threatening glare now, making sure to time just right the placing of his last words. “Necromancer of Clu’mer.”

Grin nearly knocked back over his stone chair at the revelation. True, the wizard’s name was not familiar to him, but he knew well the abilities of Necromancers. He also knew that the anger of the nearby trade city was not something he nor his tribe wanted, remembering many years ago when they had been easily driven off by a crazed ranger and his pet Ankhegs.

“What… um, what is it you want?” The Ogre mage ventured hesitantly, the situation seeming to grow more and more volatile by the moment.

“Two fools whom I’m told you captured earlier,” Thad’s glance casually moved away from the monstrous fellow and over to the gagged hostage by the stone throne. “Her and a man with two swords.”

Grin felt a wicked smile come to his face in a flash, suddenly thinking that he had gained the advantage in their exchange. Without so much as a though he took his huge hand and clasped it around the bound feet of the skunkette, holding her upside down in between himself and the Necromancer.

“Haw haw haw! So you is a hero come to rescue her, huh?” The Ogre mage cackled, wiggling the helpless skunk’s body as if she were a worm before a fish. “Hoping to save her from my stomach?”

Thad didn’t respond to the monster’s mindless taunting and instead turned to regard Merlena. She was gagged and bound at the wrists and ankles, her body otherwise bare as her clothes had been torn away and removed in preparation for the meal. She was battered and roughed up, not surprising considering the Ogres’ reputation for not being gentle, and dirt was caked heavily into her fur in flaky patches. Her expression was one of sheer horror and anger, though whether it was due to being captured or the fact that Thad was charged with saving her was unknown. But the most curious thing that the badger noticed was that there were tight chords wrapped around the skunk’s hands, tied in an intricate fashion as to prevent the movement of her fingers.

Despite his appearance, Grin was not as stupid as he seemed.

“Shame if you do. She quite tasty!” The Ogre mage continued on with inflated confidence, cackling before bringing Merlena to his mouth and lapping his huge, disgusting tongue over her helpless form.

She shuddered visibly but could do nothing about it, begrudgingly looking to Thad for aid.

But she saw just what Grin saw, a Necromancer who stood very calm, very cool and appeared completely uninterested.

“Yes, yes, I’m sure I’d be fascinated if I were listening,” Thad went on with a yawn for emphasis, having played similar games at opposite sides of a business table.

“You… you want to save her, right?” Grin asked with a little too much curiosity in his voice, giving away his surprise.

“I’m here to take her and the man, yes,” Thad replied, looking over to the far wall to see that Derrick was indeed tied up in a similar fashion, though he appeared to still be fully clothed and unconscious. “If you ask do I care for her well-being, then frankly no.”

Now Grin was beginning to get angry. Was this wizard mocking him? How could he be here to rescue them yet not care if they got eaten?

The Ogre mage’s frustration was multiplied by the fact that until a moment ago he had thought himself to have the better position with two live captives, but what good were hostages if the negotiator cared nothing for them?

“Then you won’t care if I eat her!” In a swift and sudden movement the Ogre Mage swung Merlena towards his now open maw.

Her ears uncovered, she swooned and nearly fainted, and by the time half of her body had been stuffed headlong into the Ogre’s eager mouth, she wished she had.

But Thad still appeared unconcerned even as he watched Merlena’s hips and legs squirming frantically outside the Ogre’s repulsive lips. Surely it was unpleasant in there, he thought, but Grin’s mouth simply wasn’t big enough to swallow her in one gulp.

Grin was in a spot. He now realized his error in taking so brash an action, for he was now vulnerable to any attack the wizard might launch while he was ‘eating’. Yet to his bewilderment, the badger did nothing. He still looked every bit as bored, every bit as calm and every bit as disinterested as before.

Wary but determined not to back down, Grin slurped Merlena’s hips and legs into his mouth, leaving just the wriggling feet in sight before he closed his lips over them. Thinking that surely this would garner some reaction from the badger, he made a particular show of slurping up the skunkette’s tail, a sight eerily similar to how one might slurp up a strand of wet spaghetti.

But still there was nothing on the face of the badger.

Grin paused to survey the situation. Merlena was fully inside his mouth, squirming and wriggling furiously out of defiance or disgust, and with but another swallow she’d be on the way down to his belly. Surely the Necromancer had to know this.

Almost as if reading the creature’s thoughts, Thad gave a pronounced shrug.

“Well? What are you waiting for?” He asked incredulously, almost as if annoyed the ogre were taking so long.

Flustered and newly defiant, the Ogre mage rolled his monstrous tongue inside his mouth, pushing the skunkette to the back of his throat and tilting his head back to gulp her down.

“I’m growing tired of waiting to kill you.”

Grin’s eyes snapped open at the words, turning again immediately to the unnervingly calm Necromancer.

“You heard me!” Thad snarled impatiently, tapping his foot to complete the image. “Be done with it already so I can kill the lot of you and be gone!”

Grin was utterly confused. This wasn’t making any sense to him at all. His ogre kin watching the scene were all equally at a loss, standing absolutely dumbfounded about the cave. With a headache starting to form he reached into his mouth and removed Merlena’s still-conscious form, covered in saliva and other substances too foul to relate.

“But… but you said you not care what happens to them!” He howled exasperatedly, Merlena again dangling from his fat, huge fingers.

“Yes, but I am here to take them from you,” Thad reminded, acting quite annoyed at the Ogre mage’s inability to grasp the concept. “So if you eat either of them, I’ll have to kill you all.”

Grin’s eyes squinted as he tried to make sense of the Necromancer’s words, but his addled mind simply could not. With the same level of anger he had held when Merlena had been stuffed into mouth, the Ogre mage snarled and tossed her still-bound body towards him, causing her to land right on poor Thad.

“TAKES HER, THEN! TAKES THEM BOTH, SILLY WIZARD!” Grin roared at the top of his lungs, stomping over to where Derrick lay tied and tossing him towards Thad in a similar manner. “GET YOU OUT SO THAT YOUR SILLY WORDS NO MORE HURT MY HEAD!”

Thad, having successfully moved to the side just in time to avoid the projectile that was Derrick, no longer bothered to regard to Ogre mage and instead begrudgingly lifted Merlena up over his shoulder while dragging the unconscious lynx out by his ankle. Once outside, Thad quickly brought them to where the others waited and gave them over to be unbound.

He, on the other hand, did not take part. The Necromancer took a long look at his robes, now spotted and splattered with the substances that Merlena was absolutely covered in. And he was not amused.

Without so much as a word he spun about and went back into the cave, arms already limber beneath the folds of his now filthy robes.

“WHAT YOU WANT NOW?!?” Grin roared in frustration, his hands clasped on the sides of his head.

But the Ogre Mage had only to look to Thad’s hands to see the answer, and before he could even let out a howl of denial, he knew he was dead.

A huge bolt of crackling yellow and blue lightning shot forth from Thad’s outstretched fingers, striking Grin and felling him where he sat upon the stone. But the spell did not stop there, lesser bolts breaking off and leaping with dizzying force and speed into the forms of other nearby Ogres. When the energies of the chain lightning spell had dissipated, fully half of the dozen ogres lay dead or mortally wounded upon the floor of the cave, several others stunned by the electrical volts that had wrought through them.

One raging Ogre came at Thad from his flank, only to be met with a flash of bright red energy that seemed to pass harmlessly into the hulking creature’s body. Thinking the wizard had erred, it raised its huge club and charged forward again, taking not two steps before he exploded from the inside and painted the wall at his back and side with his blood and bones.

The remaining four ogres were wide-eyed with fear after the loss of their leader, and were driven into a terrified frenzy after seeing such a horrible thing befall one of their kin. Crazed with fright, they dropped their weapons and ran towards the exit, passing right by the comparatively diminutive Necromancer without any thought not concerning their own safety.

Thad, apparently none too happy about being passed by, outstretched his hand once more and sent forth a bevy of magic missiles, felling one last foe and sending the others screaming in fear out of the cave.

He looked around at the carnage he had wrought, focusing particularly on the seared and roasted flesh upon the throne of stone which had once been Grin’Talok.

“Serves you right for getting my robes dirty,” Thad sneered, turning and heading out towards the exit and the night sky.

"This is PNN".
Fluffybun
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Something's coming," Ellani whispered, "and it sounds big and scared to me."

"We'd better not let them go, unless we're interested in a major Ogre raid anytime soon," Khamilah commented, her thoughts along the same line as the vixens.

"Are you sure this is necessary?" Pat wondered. "There must be other ways to deal with this."

"'fraid not, my vulpine friend," Rob countermanded. "Ogres are dangerous when they hate you, and once they get over their fright, they'll hate our badger friend with a passion, and us as well, because we associate with him."

"Enough chat," the warrior said, holding her axe ready to drive it deep into the chest of the first passing Ogre.

The others nodded and took positions so they could take out the creatures in the shortest timespan.

As the Ogres rushed out, each of the four furs engaged one, Ellani making VERY short work of hers, Pat also needing little time thanks to his massive weapon, and Rob needing to bring his down to the ground before putting the Ogre out of his mysery. The only fur who didn't manage to make the kill was Khamilah, because, although she had the perfect weapon for the job, the blade gifted to her by Toberaan, she didn't dare to use it, at least not yet.

So it came to be that one of the hulking monstrosities broke through and raced on to disappear in the night. He would have made it IF Ellani hadn't taken her hatchet in her paw and hadn't thrown it with such force that it severed the Ogre's sinews in the back of his left knee, making him incapable of going any faster than a crawl by his arms alone.

"Who wants to?" she said, before raising her paw in the air. "RATOR!"

The vixen waited until she had safely tucked her hatchet back in her belt, and seeing that no-one made any move to finish the job, she walked over to the fallen Ogre herself and split his skull with a mightly slash of her axe.

"That's done," she commented as she walked back to the others. "Okay everyone, back to the campsite to clean our weapons," she ordered, looking over Marlena and Thad, "and for some of you, to clean up yourselves."

"Blame ME for getting dirty," the badger sneered. "It's NOT my fault that this wench here had to go wandering off on her own, it isn't my fault either that she got captured, and IT CERTAINLY ISN'T MY FAULT that you are such weaklings that you couldn't take care of this alone."

Ellani growled softly, gripping her axe hard, but didn't make a move to attack.

"The truth hurts, does it, woman? Perhaps I should have let you take care of these Ogres," He continued. "Perhaps you would have found THEM more suitable to your pathetic level of intelligence."

"Thad... that'll do," Rob intervened, seeing that things were on the edge of becoming violent again. "We're thankful that you managed to rescue Marlena and Derrick, but there's no need to rub it in."

"LIKE I CARE FOR YOUR GRATITUDE!"

With that, he turned away and left the other six behind.

"No offense, miss Ellani," Pat started, "but I still fail to see why he HAD to come along. All he does is bite of the other furs' noses."

"That's his way, Pat, no way around it," Rob answered in Ellani's place.

"Can we get going?" Marlena's voice interjected. "This stuff feels icky, and I want to clean myself up."

"Sure we can, Marlena," Derrick smiled to her.

"Before we go, fry the corpses. No sense in leaving opportunities for a Necromancer."

"Ellani, this is starting to get an obsession from you, you know that?" the ferret chuckled. "How many Necromancers would have passed here in the last 5 years? Besides Thad, none I think."

The others, even Ellani, agreed that Rob had a valid point and set off back towards the campsite, chatting about little things.

Beware... My battlecry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> fluffybun All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 42 of 46

Jump to: