Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From the Depths...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Wow! Another fan! Now I have eight! Cool! Reply with quote

Well, Shadu, I can't speak for the other authors, but for me, like my computer, my Muse is simply running slow. Seems like she might even be hibernating at times, though she's not really from a hibernating species--

Oh for the love of Pete! I said "hiber-nating!" not "hyper-mating!" And what in the free lands is 'hyper mating' anyway?
<whisper-mutter>
What?!? Oh, that's gross!
<whisper-mutter>
Never mind that I might like it- get your mind out of the gutter! I'm trying to talk to my eight fans here!
<whisper-mutter>
No! The skunk triplets are hibernating, Zig Zag has someone she loves now, and Sabrina wouldn't be bothered!
<whisper-mutter>
I will not! And even if I wanted to, none of the cast would be interested! That's just sick!
<whisper-mutter>
Really? All five of them said that? No- wait! No! I won't do it! Go back to sleep, would ya? Geez!

As you can see, my Muse has lots of ideas- just none of them at the moment pertaining to my writing.

Oh, shut up! Don't make me come down there and tie you up!
<whisper-mutter>
With your legs closed!

Pardon the interruptions. I'm nearly finished with chapter 46-A- yes, that's right; it's another chapter broken up into parts. But I'm almost finished with this first part- I'd say that something should post by next week, hopefully. Just so long as Real Life doesn't decide to toss me another live grenade. In the meantime, I hope you're enjoying my story!

Ja ne!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Shadu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will be waiting for it!!! Very Happy
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Behind door number one..... Reply with quote

To all eight of my faithful readers:

Of course, every now and then, I feel the need to remind myself that what makes my story so well-liked by those who read it, are the readers, and I do that by offering my thanks to you for reading my story.

This particular need was brought about by my going back to take a look at the beginnings of my time with PlanetFurry-- more specifically, looking back to try to remember just when it was that I began my story. I ended up spendnig a couple of hours, re-reading all the posts that brought me up to this point, and I laughted, remembering the thoughts and feelings that the posts brought up. Honestly, it's been almost three years since I started this thing- and I'm impressed, not only that I'm still going with it, but that there are still folks who are following me on this literary journey. It feels good to know that there are folks out there in cyberspace who look forward to what I write, and are drawn by the characters and the emotions they deliver. And, it is a humbling thought, too.

On the one paw, I would like to think that I'm pretty damned good writer. I put into my writing the best of my ability to convey what I imagine is happening to my characters. In some stories, I have much more detail, and in others I have much more emotion- but in all cases, I try to give the story the flavor it deserves, and to do so in such a way that I can sit back and say "I like it". When I can do that, I don't need adoration to tell me that I'm talented- I can see it for myself. I'll never be comparable to Steven King, or Anne McCafferey, or even Poul Anderson, but I'm good in my own right, and that is enough for me. On the other paw, while I adore the praise that I get from readers, I never let it get to my head; as an author, I know I'm my own worse critic, and as such I take all the praise with a grain of salt. If nothing else, it serves to remind me that in presenting my talents to the public, I'm 'responsible'- so to speak- for making sure that I do all I can to make my work live up to the standards I put forth for myself, so that I can keep my readers enjoying what I write. While I write for the love of writing, I also acknowledge that to some small degree, I write for my readers, too, and I have to honor their choice to read my story, with a bit of thanks in return every now and again.

I wouldn't be where I was without readers to read my story. Sure, it is very likely that I would still be writing it, and maybe even posting it onto my web page- but having folks to read my story makes what I do, that much more enjoyable. And so, I have to thank you, my readers.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: And behind door number two..... Reply with quote

I am pleased to announce that chapter 46a of "From the Depths to the Heights" has been completed, and is now in the paws of my editors. As soon as I get the edits back, and apply them to the chapter, it will be posted. Look for the chapter to post in the next 48 hours.

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!! Very Happy

Kelly McAllen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it..... Big smile... BIG SMILE Very Happy
Pat The Fox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the ball rolls closer to the hole!

fuzzy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next installment has completed editting and is back to Khan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: The moment you've been waiting for.... Reply with quote

I just thought I would let you know that Chapter 46a has been posted. I hope you'll enjoy the ride I'll be taking you on, and don't forget to post your thoughts here.

-Shirh Khan

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoiler warning: Go read the new chapter, first.

Back?

Okay, given what Khan just did with his "self-censor" circuits partially inhibited from controlling his rage, one wonders, and does not care to meet fursonally, what a Khan with his rage completely uncontrolled could do. Too, one might wonder just where Khan got so amazing a tolerance for alcohol. Mysteries and mysteries as things play out. Prediction: whoever manages to push Khan to that uncontrolled state is gonna regret it, for however little time afterwards that they live.

Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting chapter!

Deak SK, why must you torture us so? We all know that EK is a walking bomb, yet you seem to enjoy taking us to the brink and sigh. no explosion. At least, no real satisfying BOOM!!!!.

No, Im not complaining! Smile I love it! you have a definite penchant for keeping readers on the edge of their mental seat!

Way to go, my brother!

Pat The Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is it's going to be tedious waiting for b

fuzzy?
Concolor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must be said:

THAT WAS THE MOST PULSE-THUMPING, MOST METICULOUSLY-CRAFTED, MOST INTENSELY SATISFYING FIGHT SCENE I'VE EVER READ!!!!

Yes, Khan is looming ever closer to his own personal "China Syndrome". And when it happens (notice I did not say 'if' it happens) Ground Zero will not be a pleasant place.

Here's an interesting topic of discussion for the Faithful:
A] Khan lost his glasses in the fight.
B] He did not retrieve them when he left .... driving away in his Suburban.
C] Later, at home, he did not seem to miss them while he was ... um ... working out his frustrations.

Does that mean that something permanent has occurred that has corrected his vision, at least partially? What the heck, one wonders, is going on???

A monumental effort, mon ami! Thanks for sharing!

Galadrion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, first of all - I have not read the current chapter yet. I'm in the process, right now, of getting caught up; I'm woefully behind. Busy times in my life at the moment, I'm currently in the midst of Chapter 44. But here's my thought on Concolor's comments about the glasses.

Do we actually know that he needs them? I've known several people who use either zero-perscription glasses or, on the cheap, those drug-store reading glasses, to give themselves a more "professional" look - doctors and academics seem particularly prone to it, as do those whose careers deal with books. The ones I've caught out with the reading glasses I've caught because they never seem to look through the glasses - they look over them. If you've never seen the sort of thing I mean, look at the way Albus Dumbledore uses his glasses in the "Harry Potter" movies.

<Grin> The other way some people use them is as a buffer - people rarely pick fights with those who wear glasses, and a request to "wait a moment while I take these off" almost always gives the wearer enough time to either retreat or come up with some other plan in the face of aggression. A decent self-defense instructor (as opposed to a fighting teacher) will often teach his glasses-wearing students about this ploy - it can be remarkably effective. And if you don't actually need them - well, having one's opponent underestimate one is just about the greatest advantage which can be had.

Galadrion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, having caught up, I have to say this.

DAMN!

Okay, I can well understand Dr. Elijah's reaction - been there, done that, have the medical reports to back it up. From the way it reads, you have too, SK. Extremely rarely does a fight like that actually defuse the feelings that put you in the situation to begin with. So, if you're inclined that direction, you have to find something else to destroy. Personally, I prefer cheaper targets... but that's just me.

No, I don't think Dr. Elijah is going to slip back into a suicide spiral. For someone of this type, it takes feelings of helplessness to trigger that, and at the moment (thanks to that ambush), he knows unequivocally that he's not helpless - out of control, yes, and that's merely feeding back into the cycle, but not helpless. In a way, that loss of control is going to make it harder for him to break the cycle - his loss of control put him into a bad situation, which caused him to lose further control, which feeds back around, but that's trapped him into nearly a berserker rage, not a suicide spiral. And this, at least, has a built-in limitation - he will keep going until he drops from exhaustion or self-inflicted damage, but he can't keep it up indefinitely. With luck, Dr. Wolff will recognize this and allow him to run his course, and then speak to him about it.

I have a sneaking suspicion, as well, that Dr. Wolff won't be the only one to talk to Dr. Elijah on this matter. His brother, too, will want to be in on this - and if Dr. Wolff calls him, he will be there as soon as is possible. Which I can see as a good thing, particularly if Dr. Shirh has had similar training. That can give Elijah someone who can more closely physically match him, and who can, if necessary, give him a full workout - something even the exercise equipment can't do. Elijah, at this point, needs to be pushed to his limits, perhaps even to the point of injury, to give him something to focus on.

Hm. And still more trouble on the social front - that (forgive the pun) church mouse. I see, more and more, upcoming pickets and other problems stemming from this particular group. Between the church activists and the Knights, I'm hard pressed to say which group will cause more problems in the long run. At least the Knights don't have the wits to avoid physical confrontations...

Personally, I think that raccoon detective needs to let her brother find out for himself what he's getting into. In the long run, she's not doing him any real favors by shielding him from the consequences of his actions - and I'm not sure he can be saved anyway. She would be better off letting him know that she's cutting her ties... maybe that would shock him into rethinking, and maybe not, but at least it would be out in the open and he couldn't claim he didn't realize what he was getting into any more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> shirh khan All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 38 of 45

Jump to: