Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gone Wylde
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 77, 78, 79  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Galadrion:
I am also somewhat disturbed, though not surprised, by the reference to "long pig" - as I've mentioned in another post, it's a logical development, though not one I like.

My first thought was "There are humans in that world?!" That's the one thing I find slightly troubling; that reference. I know exactly what it means, but I can't say that I agree it would show up in that world. Wouldn't a fox anthro taste different than a rat anthro? (Hey, it's the only complaint I've got about the story!)

Quote:
In fact, by my lights, whether Karl arrives in time or not, I think Martin needs avenging. Karl has mastered his dark side far more than I have mine - I wouldn't have administered the antidote. Even knowing the outcome.

I wouldn't have, either. I can honestly say that I would take great pleasure in letting him know he wouldn't get the antidote.

Mr. McInnes, I doff my chapeau to you. I want the next chapter!

Kinsfire

...I'm not even going to start on some of the other speculations I've got - I could write a few printed pages on what I'm thinking could/will happen...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:20 am    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

Originally by Kinsfire: 'My first thought was "There are humans in that world?!" '

Maybe not humans, but an awful lot of humanoids. And that shape is where the "long" portion of that phrase originated. As for the flavor, "pig" is as likely as anything else... maybe moreso, since I've seen no evidence of humanoid pigs in any of the tales to date. (Hm. Maybe one of Carl Montagne's coworkers? Must consider...) In any case, it's as workable a phrase importation as any other... and, as someone else pointed out, it works better than "Human Resources".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Concolor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

quote:
Originally by Kinsfire: 'My first thought was "There are humans in that world?!" '

Maybe not humans, but an awful lot of humanoids. And that shape is where the "long" portion of that phrase originated. As for the flavor, "pig" is as likely as anything else... maybe moreso, since I've seen no evidence of humanoid pigs in any of the tales to date. In any case, it's as workable a phrase importation as any other... and, as someone else pointed out, it works better than "Human Resources".

Quite right. And I can see that I need to clarify a few things. If I were lounging about in my own website, it wouldn't be an issue. I cleared all this stuff up in the FAQ section. But I'm not thus lounging (consarn it) and so certain foundational details are missing. For that I apologize.

1] There are no humans in this world, nor were there ever.
2] There are no furries whose feral counterparts do not have paws. That is, no avain, ungulate, porcine, cetacean, or other non-standard creature. That in itself is enough to make this story totally non-canonical, since I have seen one or more of those types in most of the other stories.
3] Predation of the non-carnivorous species by the carnivorous ones was a fact of life until fairly recently (the last thousand years or so in developed areas). Even currently, the practice continues in the more remote third-world parts of the planet. Cows, pigs, goats, horses, deer, et cetera are still considered prey animals by carnivores in all parts of this world. The pig is the most common one in most places, and so the "long-pig" terminology developed pretty much the same way it did in our world. In the enternal conflict between what one wants to do and what one knows is right, self-delusion is just as easy for furs as it is for humans, so the intelligence level of the chosen prey 'animal', or its desire to be not-eaten, does not figure into the equation.

Hope this helps!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

Mr. McInnes:

Before I say anything else, I apologize if my question came across as sarcastic, or as an attack. (I know you didn't respond as if you'd taken it that way, but I still worry... )

That being said, I can say that I like your explanation. (That's all I ask with a story - that it make sense. )

I will admit that I could almost feel sorry for Red Jack when Karl catches him. Almost. He, and a large number of the rest of the crew, are dead men when Karl finds them. And if they're not dead, they'll wish that he'd killed them.

Thank you again for writing such an interesting and riveting story.

Kinsfire
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

I have just finished Chapter 14C - well, to be honest, I finished it an hour ago.

It took me 45 minutes to compose a suitable e-mail to Mr. McInnes; I hope I wasn't too over-the-top with it. Although I meant every... single... word.

Oh. My. God.

I cannot repeat that emphatically enough. This chapter was incredible.

I'm not even going to try to get any more specific here; suffice it to say, when you read it, you will understand my reaction. Would that I had the talent to express my admiration in some form of award, but I cannot match that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

quote:
I have just finished Chapter 14C - well, to be honest, I finished it an hour ago.

It took me 45 minutes to compose a suitable e-mail to Mr. McInnes; I hope I wasn't too over-the-top with it. Although I meant every... single... word.

Oh. My. God.

I cannot repeat that emphatically enough. This chapter was incredible.

I'm not even going to try to get any more specific here; suffice it to say, when you read it, you will understand my reaction. Would that I had the talent to express my admiration in some form of award, but I cannot match that.

What he said.

Anything more would be too much.

Kinsfire
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:35 am    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

*blink, blink*

You're only a quarter of the way through the story? If it keeps building like it has been, I'm not sure my heart will be able to take it...

I like the site, BTW. Simple and understated. Maybe a lesson I should learn?

Kinsfire
Concolor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, but this thing is still under construction. Major construction in a few places.

I don't have the Links page any more than barely begun, and I uploaded an older version of several of the chapters. (#$#%&$*!!) So, I will have to go back in and pull them and replace them with the current stuff. Also, for some reason the links to Chapters 14A through 14C disappeared. Grrr.

But it's mostly legible, and my goal with it was to make it user-friendly and fast, so I guess I'm satisfied with that.

Please just realize it isn't exactly 'finished' yet.

I know, I know. Welcome to the wonderful world of website maintenance. So, to all the rest of you whose work I have been enjoying and whose sites I have been envying this past year and a half: Ah feel yore pain. This thing has occupied most of my spare time for the last two weeks.

Oh, Kathmandu, concerning your comment about the length of this beast, I do realize I have probably bitten off more than I can choke down. You may notice that some of the later chapters already have names beside the numbers. That indicates which ones are finished. When I first got the bug to do this story, Chapter 28 was the first chapter I wrote, Chapter 13 the second, and Chapter 34 the third. It was only then that I was able to set down the plot synopsis in a coherent, chronological format. Then I calmed down and started with Chapter 1. Kind of an odd way to write a book, I know, but you'll have to take that up with my Muse.

I've done a few small revisions on the later chapters since then, but the circumstances in those chapters are fairly pivotal to the second story arc, and I have to keep everything up to that point properly aligned with those events. You'll understand what I'm talking about when we get there.

Geez, that sounds cryptic. Sorry. I don't mean to be vague or annoying.

Any-hooo, I now have a central location where I can stick my "what's going on" comments. Assuming anyone's reading it. And assuming anyone gives a flip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Concolor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

Well, that was pretty boneheaded!

My bad, Kinsfire. That's what I get for having too many different applications open at the same time. I meant Kinsfire and typed Kathmandu because it was on the screen in another spot.

Sorry.

I should just go home and go to bed. I'm obviously not capable of operating heavy equipment today.
Concolor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kinsfire:
Hate to point out another one to you, but I think, when you typed out my link name, you may have been looking at Hikaru's Identity Crisis. Dickinson is his RL last name. McComb is mine.

Mistakes happen, and they're part of the human experience. (Or furry experience, in our case... )

Just don't let it happen again...

Kinsfire

< As Concolor stares at the never-sufficiently-qualified monitor, his muzzle twisting in a grimace of self-deprecating distaste . . . . .>

Anybody need a pair of eyes? Going cheap. They don't seem to be working for me too well.

Sorry, Kinsfire, I knew that. You are too kind. And your deductive powers are in peak form today. Maybe 'ferret' would have been a better choice for my fursona. I am too easily distracted by shiny things. Like monitor screens.

Oy!

Better brush up on my Braille.

And get to work fixing all those FUBB's. Wish me luck.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

S' a good site. Clean and simple. Easy to navigate.

I just have one complain: Your links page doesn't have any links
Concolor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

Right.

I know.

Sorry.

Not done yet.

(Please refer to my posts below.)

I'll get this monstrosity whipped into shape by the weekend. And that's a prom . . . .

Um, well, hang on. One mustn't discount the vagaries of Real Life. Ahem. I will TRY to get the site done this weekend. There. All the links active (and correct), and all the current chapters available to read.

I hope.
beau_wolff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Concolor:
Thanks for the kind words, but this thing is still under construction. Major construction in a few places.

Muaaa-haaa-haaa-haaa ...

It will never end, I tell you ...

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhh-haaa-haaa-haaa!
Ahhh-haa-haa-haa
Ahh-ha-ha
Ah-ha
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, who am I kidding? I love this stuff.

Good lookin' site, my friend, and an *excellent* story.
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

Hate to point out another one to you, but I think, when you typed out my link name, you may have been looking at Hikaru's Identity Crisis. Dickinson is his RL last name. McComb is mine.

And don't worry about either that, or the mistake in calling me Kathmandu. Ask CatEagle about the time I ended up sending him most of a chapter I was writing over the IM channel, because I hadn't made sure that the window that was actually open was my word processor. (I was using a portable device at that time, and hit send at the wrong time.) Mistakes happen, and they're part of the human experience. (Or furry experience, in our case... )

Just don't let it happen again...

Kinsfire
Pflarrian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:35 am    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

(Not so) Ancient Wisdom: To err is human. To really f**k up, you need a computer.

The site looks great, Concolor (gee, that sounds so weird... I guess I'm just used to calling you Clint.)

Now I just have to catch up with reading your story. Last time I checked, I was still in the middle of chapter 12-C... I think...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 3 of 79

Jump to: