Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gone Wylde
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 77, 78, 79  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galadrion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 4:43 pm    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

Sorry for the lack of comment - I've barely had time to read it once (work got busy), and as complicated as this one is, I'm gonna want more than one reading before I hazard any comments.

First impression, though... uhboy.

That's as far as I'm goin' without more time to read.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
J.B. Mallard Esq.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

Heh I liked it, but I'm wondering which storyline it's intersecting with.....is the voice Lakash? or Satan? or perhaps a even older power....heh
Concolor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:55 am    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

Interesting. I had rather imagined, considering the 'departure' from the norm in Chapter Thirteen, that there would be at least SOME comment.

But apparently not.

I am curious to know what you all think, though. Can I have a hint?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Concolor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

Just a little FYI: Chapter 14-A has been sent to Mike, and should be posted some time this weekend. Those of you on the mailing list will have already received it.

If you wish to be added to the list, let me know. I'll be happy to tack on another. Always room for one more!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

There are those who commented on my "Interlude" and the darkness of it. I would imagine that some of those same furs would be... well, they certainly wouldn't make comparisons, but at the same time, I'm sure they'd be sufficiently unsettled by what's been put to electronic pen here.

By no means am I saying anything bad about the writing itself- Clint has always reached-- and achieved-- the higher levels of dramatic plotline construction that many of us writers strain for, and makes it look so easy, too.

From the beginning to the end, he kept me muttering under my breath at the actions and reactions of his characters, and that, as we all know, is a high achievement, indeed. When the reader gets caught up in the story, they do just what the writer wishes, and Clint has this writer/reader caught up in his story.

The Purists of this story are less compassionate and considerate that I'd first thought them to be, and I suppose that that is a measure of a) my own 'optimism' of humanity (or "furry-kind") at large, b) my underestimation of Clint's passion and realism that he portrays in this story, and c) just how sheltered I really am, as it still astounds me that there are real live humans (let alone furs) who could act with the absolute sense of hatred *and* lack of consideration for others that is mentioned in the story.

Makes me want to climb under his wing, and learn just how he does that.

It is wonderful, Clint, and even when it is terrible, it's still wonderful.

-Shirh Khan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Concolor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shirh Khan:
There are those who commented on my "Interlude" and the darkness of it. I would imagine that some of those same furs would be... well, they certainly wouldn't make comparisons, but at the same time, I'm sure they'd be sufficiently unsettled by what's been put to electronic pen here.

By no means am I saying anything bad about the writing itself- Clint has always reached-- and achieved-- the higher levels of dramatic plotline construction that many of us writers strain for, and makes it look so easy, too.

From the beginning to the end, he kept me muttering under my breath at the actions and reactions of his characters, and that, as we all know, is a high achievement, indeed. When the reader gets caught up in the story, they do just what the writer wishes, and Clint has this writer/reader caught up in his story.

The Purists of this story are less compassionate and considerate that I'd first thought them to be, and I suppose that that is a measure of a) my own 'optimism' of humanity (or "furry-kind") at large, b) my underestimation of Clint's passion and realism that he portrays in this story, and c) just how sheltered I really am, as it still astounds me that there are real live humans (let alone furs) who could act with the absolute sense of hatred *and* lack of consideration for others that is mentioned in the story.

Makes me want to climb under his wing, and learn just how he does that.

It is wonderful, Clint, and even when it is terrible, it's still wonderful.

-Shirh Khan

My Dear Khan --

It has been quite some little time now since I first read your most cordial commentary. It's a trite term, I realize, but the best I can come up with to describe my reaction is 'speechless'. To have generated such a response from an author of your magnitude is a feat I'd not anticipated.

Thank you. I am moved and humbled.

In reference to the purists and their inclinations: as with any such group that has very strong ideological leanings, there is the mainstream and then there are the extremists. The Knights of the Pure Strain are extremists. Some of them are outlaws and gangsters, and only use the purist affiliation as an excuse for mayhem (I did mention that they have ties to terrorist groups), but then again, some of them really do hate hybrids with a depth and intensity of which most 'normal' furs cannot begin to conceive. I wouldn't be able to conceive it, myself, except for the fact that I grew up around a lot of people who were of that precise mindset ("welcome to north Georgia, headquarters of the Knights of the White Camelia"). To be brutally honest, very little of what I write about the purists is totally fiction. I've heard of much worse things than what I've written. And I think they will STAY un-written. Bleah.

On the other paw, there are purist groups in the country that are not so horrid. The Purification Church, while taking a pretty hard-nosed stance against 'miscegenation', does not condone violence of any sort. They try to use logic and a (rather remarkably) slanted exegesis of Scripture to convince others that the species should not intermingle their bloodlines. But any of the furs who live near their compound will tell you they make good neighbors. Even the hybrids feel that way. And the PC crowd HATES to be tarred with the same brush as the Knights. They go to great pains to distance themselves from the other groups.

Nevertheless, none of that means much to the furs of Martin's acquaintance. He's been copped and they are upset. To say the least.

Stay tuned.

----------

"My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating."
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Clint W McInnes:
In reference to the purists and their inclinations.... some of them really do hate hybrids with a depth and intensity of which most 'normal' furs cannot begin to conceive. I wouldn't be able to conceive it, myself, except for the fact that I grew up around a lot of people who were of that precise mindset...To be brutally honest, very little of what I write about the purists is totally fiction. I've heard of much worse things than what I've written. And I think they will STAY un-written. Bleah.

Oh, I don't doubt that these folks exist, nor do I doubt that they have this depth of capacity for brutal inhumanity. Nonetheless, it still surprises me to encounter such deep, black hatred. I've heard plenty, enough to make most "normal" folks skin crawl. I've just been fortunate enough to not have encountered such folks directly.

Your talents are amazing, Clint. I am... a faithful reader.

-Shirh Khan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

Martin's only hope, in my opinion, is the possibility that they'll want to use him, alive, to draw out the others.

Karl is going to go ballistic. And god help the state of California if they go after Wendy... (Yeah, I know they're in Vermont. The explosion from Karl will end up setting off the San Andreas Fault. And when he's done being angry, he'll pull out the weaponry...)

Mr. McInnes, I am in awe at your writing abilities. As you can see from reading my posts to these forums, I am nowhere as eloquent as you, or Mr. Khan, or Evan, or... And I know that teaching such eloquence is at best difficult, if not downright impossible.

Thank you for setting the bar so high. You give the rest of us something to strive for. (That goes for the other names I mentioned, just to let y'all know...)

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

A further comment on the story, and expounding on the points mentioned by Mr.'s Khan and McInnes:

I have never been able to get an emotional grasp on the concept of bigotry, and my grasp of it intellectually is shaky at best. To be precise - I know that it exists, but I simply am incapable of wrapping my brain around how someone gets the idea that someone is inferior simply because of a difference in color/gender/species.

Unfortunately, I understand the violence aspect all too well. I am not, by nature, a physically violent man, but I can understand the urge to rip someone's throat out with my teeth, and I'm talking RL here. One of our other writers here talks about The Beast. The Beast is all too real for some of us. (Perhaps that's part of where bigotry can come from? I really don't know.)

I guess I'm rambling. I was going to expound on a few things, but the only way I could mention them was going to sound like I was talking about my own stories, and that's not the point of this topic, is it?

Suffice it to say that you happen to be an astounding author, Mr. McInnes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Concolor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:56 pm    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

Just a small FYI for anyone who's interested.

I'm somewhere around two-thirds finished with 14B. Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I should be able to get it into Cateagle's paws this weekend. (Lee is at present having a little chat with Karl about the real necessity of his chosen course of action. Evan always gets to look it over and give his blessing before publication.)
Concolor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 1:41 am    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

Huzzah!! Master Joshua Nathaniel Wallace finally made his appearance, weighing in at nine pounds, thirteen ounces. Mother and son are resting comfortably. That brings the total number of souls in our household to fourteen: six McInneses and eight Wallaces.

(Now you see ONE reason why it takes me a while to post each chapter. )
Pflarrian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 1:46 am    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

*pops a bottle of champagne* Time to celebrate! *pauses* Yeah, I can see why that would slow down your posting time. But by the same token, you've always got someone to talk to, so you're never lonely! Gotta look for the silver lining in the clouds.
beau_wolff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:24 am    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shirh Khan:
Your talents are amazing, Clint. I am... a faithful reader.

There is little more that this that I can say, Clint. For all your avowal of needing to touch up your skills, your writing ability is one of the goalpoints toward which I strive.

Your success, your facility with words that touch the head and heart, empowers all of us. Our writing, and our enjoyment of the shared universe, are enriched immeasurably by your generous contribution and astounding talent.

~ Beau
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

Whoo! About how I expected Karl to react... the only thing about that that particularly surprised me is how well-compartmentalized the Knights were. I expected Karl to have a line on Martin's location about ten minutes after his first hands-on encounter with a Knight, but Red Jack has planned too well for thing to be that simple. But that may turn out to be a tactical error... The longer it takes Karl to find and rescue Martin, (1) the angrier Karl will become, and (2) the more damage they can do to Martin. Which leads to (3) the angrier Karl will become.

I am also somewhat disturbed, though not surprised, by the reference to "long pig" - as I've mentioned in another post, it's a logical development, though not one I like. And the way the Knights have immobilized Martin does not speak well of their intentions toward him - Karl is definitely working under a time limit.

In fact, by my lights, whether Karl arrives in time or not, I think Martin needs avenging. Karl has mastered his dark side far more than I have mine - I wouldn't have administered the antidote. Even knowing the outcome.

Congratulations, Clint, on writing a very powerful and moving story - not many can inspire me to such feelings, yet leave me wanting to read more. I am waiting impatiently for the next development.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:18 am    Post subject: Gone Wylde Reply with quote

... If Karl catches him. My thoughts were running in similar lines, up until I started thinking some things through. Such as the tactical sense Red Jack has demonstrated to date. Karl may have a long, difficult pursuit ahead of him. And if Red Jack continues to plan ahead, Karl will have to come to a difficult decision: will the elimination of such a creature be worth the possible cost? After all, if Karl is chasing Red Jack, he's not protecting Wendy, Martin and his family, various members of the church... Emily and Cinnamon. Wendy.

You can bet that records are being created in the Knights' organization. Karl will soon be classified as a major enemy, and weaknesses will be researched. As formidible as he is personally, those weaknesses will have to be his relationships. And the Knights have the advantage of a large, well-organized and well-funded resource base. Karl can only be in one place at a time.

If he's not very careful, and very lucky, he's going to take some losses. Devestating losses. Losses which may very well push him over a line he doesn't want to cross. Losses which may cost him his soul.

And speaking of such matters... that whole interlude in Chapter 13 has me thinking. Karl and other may well wind up offered such a deal - and who knows who might be tempted, and by what. (No, I don't really expect such a development. But it could be possible...)

That's another matter I owe you some congratulations on, Clint. You manage to kick-start my idea-generator every time I read your work. It almost drives me nuts, because I know there's no way you could possibly incorporate all the story ideas that pop up (many of them are contridictory), but I'd love to see how you handle each of them. Ah, well - as I've mentioned before, some of them germinate into ideas for my own writings...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 2 of 79

Jump to: