Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chapter 16 Finally...enjoy the mayhem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfwhite
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Chapter 16 Finally...enjoy the mayhem Reply with quote

Chapter 16: Out Of All The Planets In The Universe They
Had To Pick This One!

Zig Zag was so tired, the trip to Massachusetts had taken a lot out of her. The studio was much like she left it but still one thing really puzzled her. She wondered why Sabrina hadn't come to talk with her, could it be she didn't know. It had been on all the news. Then she thought that Sabrina had a lot of things on her mind, with her sisters and all. It was quite possible she didn't know; she pondered for a moment then thought it best she find out. She picked up the phone and dialed her extension.
"Sabrina." The voice answered.
"Hi, do you have a moment to come and see me?"
"Sure Zig, although if it's about the layout, I haven't got it done yet."
"No it's not that, just come by when you have a chance."
"Sure thing."
"See you."

Zig put down the phone and moved over to her computer. She brought up the studio's main page, it didn't have much on it just the studio's logo and a warning that you were about to enter an adult site. She clicked an Icon of her own head, a drawing that Sabrina had done of her as an animated character; it was a cute touch.

The next screen was all the legal jargon that all adult pages had but this one had a bonus. It had a fully animated figure of her in a bikini swinging her hips back and forth on the sides of the text. It was so cute; she remembered when she had suggested it to Sabrina to do. She had just rolled her eyes, and Zig just grinned.
She then pushed the 'enter' button and this led to the main page. It was nicely laid out with a gallery, vid, and purchasing information links easily available. She clicked on the gallery; here there were various stills from the videos and some more candid shots. They were rotated once a week with new content, she also noted the hit counter and was impressed; almost 5 million hits since the site went up. Nice she thought, the forum was alive with conversations as well. This was a good addition to the site; she got lots of ideas from the fans as to what to produce. She had to thank Sabrina for it all, before she didn't have a web presence and that left her out of a huge market.

Now sales had almost doubled with the web page exposure, enough so that she had to hire a couple of furs just to do the mail orders and subscriptions. The next thing was live web casts; she hoped they would be up and running soon. Although that took some very expensive equipment, the furs who were installing it seemed to know what they were doing. She logged onto the forum and chatted for a bit, under a disguise of course. She liked doing this, she felt free to have fun; not too long into it Sabrina came knocking.
"Come in."
"Hey Zig." Sabrina said as she came into the office and promptly sat down. "So, what's up?"
Zig was happy to see Sabrina but wished she had better news to tell her. "Have you been listening to the news lately?"
"No, not really; been busy."
"I kind of thought so." Oh boy she thought.
"Oh, is there something I should know?"
"Yes, you know I've been away."
"Yeah Massachusetts of all places."
"Well, Cheetaur was there."
"Oh, hey that's cool how is she?"

She found this hard to say, "I thought you already knew, Cheetaur is in a hospital there."
"Oh no, nothing serious I hope."
"Yeah it is." Sabrina gasped, "Seems she was in a shopping mall where a fur with a gun went nuts and tried to take all he could with him; including some small children."
Sabrina swallowed hard, "Oh no."
"Cheetaur threw herself into harms way to try and save the children." Sabrina covered her muzzle with her paw. "She took 5 bullets, 2 of which went through her."
Sabrina stared in disbelief, "Is she going to live?"
"That's why I went to Massachusetts; there is a 50/50 chance right now. If she slips any further the doctors said she'd die."
"Oh no."
"I thought you knew, I'm so sorry Sabrina, I know she's your friend. I guess I should have said something earlier."

Sabrina shook her head, "What about the children? Did she save them?"
Zig nodded, "The police said she did, she's a hero in their eyes and if she gets better she'll be more popular than ever."
"Oh my."
Zig bent down and pulled a paper from her bag, "Here, there is an article in here about what happened. I picked this up at the airport there."

Sabrina took the paper hesitantly, "Zig?"
"Yeah."
"Thanks for being there for her; she's had a rough life."
"Yeah, we talked."
"How'd you hear?"
"Her driver called here, I'm her agent, remember."
"Oh…yeah, forgot." Sabrina got up; her eyes had begun to tear. She liked Cheetaur a lot and to know that she was hurt made her ill. "Zig?"
"Book your flight anytime Sabrina, the company will pick up the tab."
Sabrina smiled, "Thanks Zig, I won't forget this."
"No problem. I'm sorry Sabrina I really thought you knew and I didn't want to upset you any more than you have been. With everything else going on in your life, I'm sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news."
"No, it's not your fault. Its furs that think guns will save them in the end." She turned to go but remembered something just before she left, "Oh you'll be getting an invitation for Ti's wedding soon."
"She finally nailed a date, huh."
"Yeah, well with everything happening she thought it best to get this done. Heather is getting married too, a double wedding in fact."
"Yeah good for them, OK I'll look out for it."

Sabrina put on a fake smile, waved good-bye and took off for her office. It seems she had some reading to do.

Tarra: Afain's Home.

Lyja was so tired she could hardly keep her eyes open, she could feel her paws scraping the floor. Her first duty before retiring was to find her guardians and tell them of her progress. She found them easily cuddling in the living area watching the vid screen, it was showing the news across Tarra. Their keen hearing heard her approach, although she was making no attempt to sneak up on them.
"Lyja?" Kira said.
"Yes, it's me Kira; I'm really tired so I'll make this report quick." She sat down and faced them. Afain could clearly see that she was exhausted.
"Maybe you should just go on to sleep, you need rest."
"I have enough energy to explain. Then I'll gladly go. To begin with the core is out and on its way to be incorporated into the power grid. It still has some life in it enough for a couple of years of power. It took forever to get it out though, bolts snapped and hoses tangled; it was a mess. But it's out, the ship is now completely on external power. Alex and the ship's AI are progressing well with the command structure learning how the ship operates and should, by tomorrow, have everything operational."
"That's great news." Kira said.
"The decontamination process is proceeding well; good estimation is a couple of days. I can take some readings then. Once they fall to a certain level exposure should not be a concern."
"That's great news Lyja, thank you very much."
"It was fun, between my cursing."
Afain looked at her with eyebrows raised, "Lyja?"
"No one was about; it was just frustrating in some spots."
"You just watch your tongue around here."
"I will."
"Now off to bed with you, tomorrow is another day."
"Ok, that I'm ready to do, night."
"Night." They both said in unison.

Lyja had just settled when Afain came into her room.
"Yes Afain?"
"I brought you some herbal tea to help you sleep." She placed the glass next to her on a small table. Then she sat on the bed, "We both want to thank you very much for working so hard on this."
Lyja smiled, "It was fun."
"Well, it was a lot of work too and I appreciate that." She kissed Lyja on the forehead.
"Does this mean I can forget school?"
Afain smiled, "Not on your life."

Three days later:

Kira and Afain announced officially to the Emperor of their findings and she was thrilled to hear that things were progressing. She had many things to do but once those were out of the way she would join them in a celebration. The morning had passed quite quickly, they all were eager to get to the ship. The radiation had dissipated and it was safe to open the ancient craft. What wonders did it have, where had it been all these years? They were questions they hoped to find answers for very soon.

Ottawa Canada: Heather's Computer Emporium.

Sabrina and Heather just looked at the almost full bay. It seems they had ordered a lot of stuff. "Ah…Sabrina, is all this stuff ours?"
"Yup, a lot of work too."
"I can see that, who's it all for?"
"A small company, they ditched all their old pc's -which, by the way, we picked up for nothing- to move to all new stuff. You should see the bill for all this."
Heather rubbed the top of her head, "I can imagine."
"I really don't think you can."
"We did get half up front though, to help cover some of the costs."
"Well, it seems the business is doing better than I thought."
"Oh, I forgot." Sabrina handed Heather a letter, "You might find this interesting."
"Oh." Heather looked over the letter, "BUSINESS OF THE YEAR."
"Yeah seems a few of our customers nominated us, we won."
"This is great news!" Heather said; she had never won an award.
"Yeah Hector said you would freak."
"That Hector, I'm going to freak all over him when I next see him."

Sabrina laughed, "It's good to have you back."
"I'm glad to be back, I thought I'd never see this store again."
"Well not a lot has changed; Mr. Glen still calls almost every day."
"Heh, He's a fine old fur, loves his computer."
"Yeah, Max had to go there not too long ago, the HD was beginning to fail. We brought it here, cloned the drive and sent it back same day. He was impressed and gave Max a big tip."
"Oh he's one for doing that, he has money. Could have bought a system anywhere but no, he came in one afternoon, no haggling and bought my best system."
"Heh, you never know who has money and who doesn't."
"Yup you're right. We'll I think I'll get back into some trouble shooting and get my brain working again."
"Yeah you've been sitting on it for a long time now." Sabrina grinned and stepped just out of reach of Heather's paw.
"Sabrina!!!!"

Tarra: Hanger 1518

The ship loomed before them, Cleo had done a micro analysis of the ship's air to ensure it didn't contaminate the group and had deemed it acceptable.
"It's finally here." Afain said excitedly as she gripped Kira's arm tightly.
"Yes finally, I didn't think it was going to happen but it's like you said it's finally here. Alex; open the door!" Kira commanded.
"AFIRMATIVE!" Alex's voice echoed throughout the hanger.

There was a loud click then the huge door along the side of the ship began to move aside. A landing ramp also began to descend towards them. As the ramp settled they walked up and into a piece of history. It looked so old to all of them, Lyja couldn't believe this thing actually flew in space; it was a death trap.

"You know I thought this ship would be bigger inside." Kira said out loud.
"Well the hull is very thick and it has maintenance shafts running down each side of it. So that reduces the interior space, they made up for it by making this overly long." Lyja pointed out and went off to check on some other things.

Kira and Afain wanted to see if the AI could retrieve the records and start copying them over to Alex's database. The machine was ancient and Kira was trying to figure out what was what. Most of the switches and descriptions were in ancient Zargozian. It wasn't too soon as they got into it when Lyja came back looking very puzzled.
"Uh…Kira, Afain, I think you better come back and see something."
"Oh." Kira thought there wasn't much mechanical that would interest them. As they followed they questioned Lyja but she just remained quiet until they entered into the hyper sleep chambers.

They both stood there with mouths agape. There were supposed to be nine pods but there wasn't, only eight were present. One had been removed rather abruptly, it seems that who ever took it out didn't know how to remove it properly but that wasn't the only surprise.

Kira wiped off the condensation of one of the pods. A Zargozians face stared back at her. Its eyes closed in rest, either that or dead.
"Don't tell me it's alive."
"Ok I won't but they are." Lyja said sarcastically.
"They?" Afain said.
"There are two of them."
"Great, are you sure they're alive?"
"According to the pod's computer, yes and my portable scanner confirms it."
"Ok, big decision time." Kira said, "Lyja can you disconnect the pods from the ship without disrupting the power."
"Yes, there would be a nanosecond where it didn't but I think I can even compensate for that."
"Good get to work on that, I'm calling Shearah and Tolare. They will want to see them."

Later:

Cleo had helped Kira figure out the computer interface and after eight hours, the downloads from the memory core were still going on. During that time it was Shearah and Tolare that couldn't stop talking. The discovery of the pods had them bouncing ideas off themselves at a furious pace.

The pods had been taken out easily by Lyja and had been transported to a private lab and sealed. It had taken days to finally get both of them to sit down a talk.
"Ok you two, you're still floating on clouds, come back down to Tarra and talk with us mortals; please."
"Kira, Afain you won't believe our findings!" Shearah said so excitedly that it was almost unintelligible.
Kira put up her paw, "Whoa slow down, we need to understand you."
"Tolare you tell them."
Tolare took up the reigns, "The two Zargozians are alive, to an extent that we believe that we can resuscitate them."
Afain and Kira just looked stunned. "You're kidding, right?" Afain said.
"No no, we're very serious; all that really is wrong with them is radiation decay. Over time the pods shielding finally gave way. It didn't totally irradiate them, so they are undergoing radiation therapy right now."

Afain and Kira just couldn't believe it. "Tolare, these beings are close to a thousand years old, do we have the right to bring them back to a world they won't even know?"
"We have taken an oath to preserve all life!"
"I know but the mental ramifications of this, I ask that you do not awaken these beings until I speak with the Emperor on this?"
"Afain these beings deserve…"

She cut her off, "Yes, I know they deserve to live in a society which they know, this world is different than they ever knew. Wars have been fought; our whole society fell not long after that ship took off. Now you want to bring them back to a world that is so strange to them that it may as well be another planet!!!"

Tolare and Shearah looked at each other, this was the find of the century and now the brakes had just been put on. "Afain I…"
"Tolare please don't do this."
Shearah and Tolare nodded, "We will keep them sedated."
"Good, I'm sure we can find a compromise. Just give me some time."

Tolare and Shearah leaned towards each other and whispered then Shearah spoke. "There is one other bit of news that you should tell the Emperor when you see her."
"Concerning these two?"
"Yes." Shearah said.

Ohio: Port of Columbus Airport.

Warren took Sabrina in his arms and hugged her, he didn't want to ever let go. "Hi Dad." Sabrina tried to say but it wound up being very muffled.
"It's good to see you."
"Good to see you Dad."
"How was your friend Cheetaur?"
"Alive, barely. Dad, she was in so much pain, they had her drugged so much."
"I know dear it's all in the healing process, sometimes furs have to get worse before things get better."
Sabrina sniffed, "At least she knew me."
"That's good. Did you get to talk to a doctor?"
"Yeah, they said she's still not directly out of the woods yet but her being conscious is a good sign. She is much better than she was a few days ago. The doctor says if she keeps on improving then she'll be better soon."
"That's good hun; I hope she does continue to get better. I'm glad I got to meet her."
"Yeah, could we have her here, when she's better I mean."
"Certainly sweetie."
"So what have you and Mom decided?" That was a question and a half.

Warren was a bit distracted as he was picking Sabrina's suitcase off the ramp. "Huh honey? I didn't hear?"
"So what have you and Mom decided?"
"Oh it's been an interesting few days, we've talked with about five different doctors and your mother has been poked and prodded. She's been cranky ever since all this started."
"I can bet, sooo…" Sabrina led on.
"The doctors feel it's risky since your mother is on the older side, not that she's over the hill by a long shot."
"I know dad just a bit much for carrying a baby."
They started out towards the car, "They do say your mother is in excellent health and that it's not so risky as not to try at all."
"So does that mean?"
"Yup, we're going to try."

Sabrina dropped her bags and hugged and kissed her dad, she hadn't been so happy in a long time.
"I don't know how Tabitha is going to take this."
"You haven't told her yet?"
"No, and not for awhile, not until the pregnancy is more advanced. A lot can happen in the first few months."
"I see; I'm happy for you."
Warren took in a deep breath, "It's gonna be tough, we're discussing hiring a private nurse to help out."
"Dad I might pass the word through my friends to see if any of them need a job. I know it's a little ways off but I can do that for you."
"Let's get things a little farther off the ground before you go asking, I appreciate the offer though. In the long run that might just work out for us."
"OK Dad, just say the word."
"We had some news of the fur that Swallow attacked, she's going to live. Although I don't really know if I could call it living, her life is ruined."
"Dad, Swallow isn't herself, she wouldn't hurt anyone…you know that."
"Yeah I know; it's just that I'd like this whole mess to go away and just hold her. I feel so helpless."

They put the suitcases in the car. "Dad, it's not your fault; they'll find her and maybe with some help they can bring her back to us."
"I hope so hun, I hope so."
"So how's Chris? You should have him down here you know. Long distance relationships are hard to keep ignited." Warren raised an eyebrow.

"I know Dad, Chris is being very patient with me but there is a job opportunity he is trying to get up here. It's a long shot but he's trying."
"That would be nice, our little girl staying around the homestead so to speak."
"I didn't say it was a guarantee. Zig is not very happy about me leaving either. So she has her fingers crossed that Chris gets this."
"Sounds like Chris has a lot of prayers going for him."
"I told him about Zig and he laughed."
"Heh."
"Ok let's get out of this busy place. Airports, they never get any easier to get into or out of."
"You have that right."

British Columbia.

The scans were intriguing to say the least. They each had done a scan on each other. The findings were quite impressive to say the least.
"So it looks like my arm can be released." Mother said.
"Yes it seems intact; all you need is a surgeon." Mother/Swallow replied.
"Great, I think my book has a few of those listed. I can even do this legit."
"I also see your offspring is quite healthy."
"I was about to ask, do you know what it is?"
"A female, you're quite far along, I'd say another month and you'll pop."
"Oh how lovely just what I wanted to know."
"What do you think about my scan?" Mother/Swallow said unemotionally.

Mother took a deep breath, "Your scan is very interesting. It seems Swallows body has grown over a foot since I last took the scan, from my point of view that's a lot. The other thing is interesting, your implants seem to be originating in the right part of the brain; then travel down your arm and down your spine, ending at its base. Least you don't have tentacles coming out your ass."
"Very funny creature." She bared her teeth and snarled.
"Ok…simmer… just a joke, lighten up will you." She had made a joke, interesting; this was definitely part of Alison's reforms. She was sure of it but it felt right, this was something she didn't understand completely. Although she was sure that the Swallow creature possessed none of what she had. It was still missing the finer things that she was now experiencing.
"I am not partial to humor." Swallow said not impressed.
"I noticed. Any way the scanner says it's metallic, what it does I have no idea but you don't seem any worse for wear. Any episodes??"
"You mean tremors?"
"Yeah any irregular activity."
"Some, remember this isn't my body, its Swallow's. I'm renting at the moment. You can't see anything in the scans that indicate I can be separated?"
"Not right now, nothing abnormal in the brain except for that metallic object. If your consciousness resides in it then yes I could see removing it. It would kill Swallow though, if I'm wrong you'd die too."
"We will do more scans later. For now I think its time to get your arm fixed, you'll be more useful that way."
"I agree."

Royal Home of The Emperor.

Afain sat nervously; she had the information that Shearah had given her and the other finer points about the ship. She just wasn't sure how the Emperor was going to take this, to her it was a fantastic discovery but it also had severe ramifications if handled improperly.

The Emperor sat down as Afain stood; she waited for her to signal her to sit once again. A moment later she sat again and took a deep breath.
"So Afain it seems you have some news for me, it must be very important. Garan explained to you that I would meet you as soon as I finished my affairs."
Afain gulped, "It is, it requires a decision that only you can make."
"Oh." The Emperor leaned back in her chair, "Speak, I am listening."

Afain cleared her throat, "The ship has been opened and the archives are being downloaded into Alex's data base. It will take awhile to decipher its contents."
The Emperor nodded, "That is good news indeed; I figured it would take awhile to retrieve all the data. Are most intact?"
"Yes surprisingly, but that is not all." She paused, "Two Zargozians have been found in pods in the ship; awaiting revival."
The Emperor sat up quickly, "Ancient Zargozians alive?"
"Yes your majesty, from what Tolare and Shearah have told me; that is our dilemma."
"Are there complications in doing so?"
"Your Majesty, bringing these two back would be like putting them on another planet. They don't even speak our language! Their world is gone, swept away by wars not long after they took off. If we don't take precautions then we could cause irreparable harm to them."

The Emperor was silent for a bit, "Do you propose that we not revive them?"
"No, but it must be done under controlled conditions somewhere it is not so populated."
"That seems fair, I agree to that but I suspect there is something else you want to tell me."
"Yes, the two Zargozians differ from us, in a big way." Afain stopped.
"Go on."
"They are two different sexes." The Emperor looked puzzled, "I mean each only has one set of sexual organs."
"Some sort of mutations? Shearah, Tolare do they know?"
"Oh yes your majesty, it seems that 'we' are the mutations not them." Afain just sat quietly for the Emperor said nothing, she just sat there quietly.
"Are they sure?" she paused, "of course they're sure or you wouldn't be here. This makes things different."
"Yes…it seems that in our history we have evolved or mutated into a new species of Zargozian. Since so much of our history has been lost to us it could have happened anytime."
"Yes you are right, now as to the consequences, it is not like us to bury our history but for the moment I think you will agree that we should be careful with this enlightening information."
"Yes Your Majesty, under the circumstances you are right."

The Emperor rose, "Tell Shearah and Tolare to set up a controlled setting for our honored guests so they can awaken once more on their home world. Tell the physicians that you are in charge of this awakening and that I must be present when it is to occur."
"Yes Your Majesty."
"You will also tell Alex it is to send a copy of the complete archive to me when it is translated. It can get a location from Minister Garan for the exchange."
"Yes Your Majesty."
"That will be all Afain, you have done well and I will see that you and your family are well rewarded."
"Thank you Your Majesty."
"Now go and prepare our guests."
She stood and bowed as the Emperor left, it seems they still had a lot to do.

Ottawa Canada: Heather's Computer Emporium.

Sabrina popped her head in the troubleshooting room for about the 18th time this morning. "Hi Heather."
"Sabrina…I'm not going to fall over, OK?"
Sabrina just shuffled her feet, "I'm just worried about you, this being your first day back and all."
"I know, I had this happen with Hector, he was so concerned that I'd fall that he almost walked for me with all his help. I know you are just looking out for me and I appreciate it but I'm fine."
"Ok." Sabrina sighed, "How's that comp coming?"
"Ok, I've backed up his files and now I'm about to reinstall the operating system. That should fix the problems."
"That's good. OK I'll leave you be, sorry."
"Hey don't be sorry, I'm glad you're worried for me. In that hospital on the first few days I didn't think I'd ever walk again. I don't know when I cried so much."
"Well, I'm proud of you Heather; you're a fighter and I'm so glad you're better."
"Thanks I am too; I've got to be ready for my wedding."

Sabrina smiled, "Hector's a great fur, I'm happy for you."
"Oh and me for you. You and Max are meant for each other."
Sabrina smiled, "Yeah I think so, he's been so happy ever since we officially said the word."
"He's not the only one, I remember you showing that lovely piece of jewelry off."
Sabrina's fur ruffled, "Yeah you're right, Mom and finally -after a bit of phone tag- Dad got to know. He is happy for me."
"That's good, is he coming to the wedding?"
"He's not sure if he can get the time off but he said he would try. Mom and Kathren are definitely coming."
"That's good, Hector's sister isn't coming; she's going to hang around here to keep an eye on their father. He isn't well enough to travel that far."
"Yeah, how is he doing?"
"Resting, the hospital got him in touch with some people that can get him some financial assistance. Now he can at least afford to live where he had been living."
"That's good; I hate to see him thrown out into the street."
"Hector wouldn't have let that happen, he was prepared to move his dad into his small apartment. And small is the word, I really don't know how Hector moves about in that place."
"That's great, although I don't think Hector could care for his dad under those conditions."
"We talked about that, he argued he could. You are right though, he couldn't stand it long. He would see that soon after his dad had moved in. I didn't push it too far; I was going to let him find out himself then help out."

Sabrina sat quietly, "Sometimes you just have to let people find out for themselves."
"Yeah; oh what's going on with Sabrina? I haven't heard from her in a bit."
SJ sat down, "Well, I had a call from her last night. It seems that Endora had an incident and had to go to the hospital."
Heather looked shocked, "Sabrina, why didn't you tell me earlier?"
"Well, you have enough on your plate without worrying about Endora too."
"Ok." She didn't like Sabrina keeping big news like this to herself but she let it slide, "Go on."
"Well it seems Endora is pregnant."
"WOAH!!! Really!??!!" Heather's eyes sprung open.
"Yeah, it's really early though, not too far into it."
"That's wonderful."
"They're taking it easy; it's a crucial time for her."
"Yeah I can say, she isn't as young as she used to be."
"Sabrina says her doctor says not too old to try."
"That's great; I'll give her a call tonight and congratulate her."

"She also told me about Cheetaur."
"Oh the big Cheetah taur that both of you befriended, how is she?"
"Not too good she's in the hospital in Massachusetts."
"Oh what happened?"

Sabrina explained and when she was finished she sighed, "She protected those kids."
"Very heroic to put your own life at risk, I hope she gets better."
"I do too, that's the second time she's done that. I can't but feel sorry, she's had a hard life and now this."
"Sabrina, she'll be OK; don't worry so. You can keep in contact with Sabrina; ask her the hospital's number, that way you can do your part."
"Sabrina sniffed, "You're right Heather I can do that." Sabrina stood up, "I think it's time I did a bit a work around here."
"Don't worry so much OK sis, things will be fine; you'll see."
"I got my fingers crossed."

l

Avatar: Sheeri artwork by Chris Morrison (c) Chris Morrison
mfwhite
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Part 2 Reply with quote

Tarra: Afain's Home.

The ship was still quarantined to everyone except those working on it and no official public announcement of its discovery had been made yet. The Emperor wanted more time for study of it and its records that had now been completely down loaded. The old world ship's core AI had been transferred to a smaller ship now and was being incorporated into its new environment.

The two Zargozians were awakened on an Island away from civilization with only Tolare and Shearah to be with them when they were awakened. Alex prepared translations for them and presented a brief history of the new world of which they were now a part. Being both scientists, they took the transition extremely well. The language barrier was of slight concern for no one had heard the Ancient language actually spoken. Some words were distinguishable but most weren't so written conversation was mostly used instead. They had many questions about their health and what technology advances had been made. They were given small bits of information to absorb, too much was deemed unhealthy. They would remain there for awhile till Shearah and Tolare felt that they could be moved without too much harm coming to them mentally. They had to be given time to adjust.

As to the findings, the Emperor promised that the revelation would be revealed to the worlds of the Empire but no mention of the two survivors would ever be made public. The Empire would make sure that they lead a semi-normal life, allowing them to explore their new world.

Alex had begun the translation process with the last record made by the crew. There was a lot of data to go through and sort but Alex had found what Kira had requested.

After reviewing the log Kira had many questions for Alex, Lyja and for one of the scientist Zargozians that had just woken up. That conversation was kept simple as they were just adjusting to their new world. She sighed at the problem that now sat before her, although impossible as it might sound; it was still in the range of possibility. It was time to talk to Afain.

Afain awoke to the green furred face that she knew and loved. "Hello beautiful."
"Hi yourself, I hope you're up to hearing some news."

Afain sat up and realized it was time for nature to take its course. She was back in a moment, ready for Kira's news. "Let's go to the kitchen I want some breakfast, my stomach is crying out for food."
"Ok."
As they walked Afain poked at Kira for information, "So what has you all upset this morning."
"Alex has translated the last few logs of the ship's crew, something happened to them, something not very good."
"Oh no."

The kitchen was almost dungeon-like in its dullness, the rain outside was coming down in torrents today and the sky was a grey blanket that blocked almost all light from the twin suns. Afain switched on the light to make it more bearable. "Ok, so what happened?" She opened the fridge and began to fix a breakfast for them.
"It seems the ship settled down on a planet rich in flora, the team scanned for life forms and landed in a valley away from most prominent life forms."
"Sounds good."
"Yes all up to the point where a predator attacked them and killed all of them save the two we rescued."
"Oh Goddess, that's horrible."
"It doesn't get much better, one of the scientists managed to strike the creature down. Hoping only to scare it off so they could leave but they hurt the creature almost to the point of death."
"They can't do that, our code…"
"Yes, I'm getting to that. They stabilized the creature enough to come up with a fantastic plan." Kira paused and took a sip of her juice that Afain had placed before her. "Mmm that's good."
"Yeah it is. I'm learning to appreciate a whole different variety of things."
"Anyway, they tore out the pod we saw missing in the ship and put the creature in it. With some very creative programming they instructed it to heal the creature then release it. Then after it was long gone it was to self destruct leaving no trace of it."
"A great plan, they preserved the code."
"Yes, at a great cost, they removed all the bodies and took off leaving the pod and creature behind since they could not stay long enough to do it themselves; it was a big mistake."
"What? But you said…"
Kira put up her paw, "Let me finish, it is true that the idea was fantastic and would have worked if I had been there to program it, they however didn't know things that I know. The alterations they made to the pod created a flaw in its operating system."
"Oh no."
"Yes, the pod would heal the creature back to its normal state however it would never be able to release it. The commands to do that had been overridden by their work around code."
"Then that could mean."
"Yes that the creature could still be trapped within that pod to this day. It also means very advanced and dangerous technology could fall into the wrong hands if it were ever discovered."
"Kira we have to do something."
"Yes we are going to have to go to that planet!"

End of Chapter 16

"Warp speed Cleo, to infinity and beyond!"

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating read, Cheetaur. Another great chapter. *G* Now, if the Empire gods searching for that pod, I can imagine the reaction when their ship shows in-system.

Great job!
Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...

this is *good*- esp. if you thought out that particular connection b/t the "aliens" and Mother from the beginning.........wow! that's some foreplanning- and you didn't slip on the details! I didn't see it until maybe like last chapter!

Okay- maybe I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer- but that was *subtle*!! I barely knew that the merging between the two seemingly different storylines was being made until it was almost done!

*That* is a good piece of writing, from a good writer!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mfwhite
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Wow you guys rock.... Reply with quote

Wink

Thanks for the comments one and all...it makes things worth while when i see these kind of results

Wow i'm glad S3 has you all tuning in to read....i just hope i worthy of your patronage.....its fans like you that make my day.

Thanks again.....hope to see you after 17

The wedding..(finally) Smile

Goes and jumps up and down.......Smile

YAY!!!!!!!

Cheetaur

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read Cheets everything starting to come together so I wasn't too far off the mark as to how mother came to be. Hmmm it was all due to buggy programming (the one responsible probably worked for Tarra's version of Microsoft). Excellent work I enjoyed reading it. Very Happy

Bearion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur, Cheets. Excellent chapter.

The Threads are finally weaving together. I hope you don't make a rope before this is done. Wink

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good chapter.

The two halves of the puzzle are finally coming together.

ArcticVulpine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good chapter Cheetaur

Things are finally making sense, though how "mother" ended up inside Swallow is still confusiuon.
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was explained a couple chapters back 14 I think when the two mothers got together.

Xaqtly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Khan, Cheets - it takes some serious ability to plan the connection between two vastly different worlds like that and not let anything slip about the connection until 16 fairly long chapters into it. I truly envy your ability to pull this sort of thing off so seamlessly, it leaves me scratching my head every time, wondering "now how could I have missed that completely?" Like a good magician, you're able to show us what you want us to see while performing the slight of hand behind your back. Really excellently and subtly done.
mfwhite
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: What a responce.....:) Reply with quote

WOW!!!

16 was a tell all...almost, there are a few more surprises, not many mind you but a few Rolling Eyes

I'm glad u liked the way I wove the two storylines together, it was hard but it came through ok

Not sure how many had all ready figured it out...Mike was hot on the trail of things...he had great theories about every thing....some i hadn't even thought of...!!!!

Thanks folks for all the support and praise...you guys rock and i'm glad i could come up with a tale to compete with all your fantastic stuff. Smile

Cheetaur

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> cheetaur All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: