Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The future Alan Foxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwalimu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: The future Alan Foxx Reply with quote

Alan Foxx presents a paradoxical puzzle...

In the original timeline, Sabrina and Chris were only able to have one child, Alan, due to Sabrina's endometriosis. In the later chapters of SOtS, Sabrina's endometriosis has already been "miraculously" cured, we assume due to Tabitha's intervention, and they are now able to have a houseful of children. So at this point SOtS is already in an alternate timeline.

Now for the ten thousand currency unit question - will Alan still be one of those children in the alternate timeline?

The chances of another Alan occurring in the alternate timeline by random combination of genes has to be infinitesimally small. Yet surely the Tabitha from 2030 has become attached enough to Alan from the original timeline to want to insure that he will exist again in the alternate timeline. (Also keep in mind that Tabitha thought she was going to a time after Alan was born, and may not have planned for insuring his future existence.)

Maybe Tabitha could obtain a sample of Alan's DNA and have Sabrina implant an embryo with it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sslaxx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The future Alan Foxx Reply with quote

mwalimu wrote:
Alan Foxx presents a paradoxical puzzle...

In the original timeline, Sabrina and Chris were only able to have one child, Alan, due to Sabrina's endometriosis. In the later chapters of SOtS, Sabrina's endometriosis has already been "miraculously" cured, we assume due to Tabitha's intervention, and they are now able to have a houseful of children. So at this point SOtS is already in an alternate timeline.

Now for the ten thousand currency unit question - will Alan still be one of those children in the alternate timeline?

The chances of another Alan occurring in the alternate timeline by random combination of genes has to be infinitesimally small. Yet surely the Tabitha from 2030 has become attached enough to Alan from the original timeline to want to insure that he will exist again in the alternate timeline. (Also keep in mind that Tabitha thought she was going to a time after Alan was born, and may not have planned for insuring his future existence.)

Maybe Tabitha could obtain a sample of Alan's DNA and have Sabrina implant an embryo with it.

Hmmm, an interesting ethical question. It's not just DNA that makes somebody, you know, so that wouldn't work. The question is: was Tabitha prepared to sacrifice Alan's existence?

Sslaxx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Concentrating on the big picture. Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Or is she so focused on saving Sabrina that the thought of Allen's future never occured to her.

Forgetting little details, just concentrating on the big picture. Much to her (eventual?) regret, I'd envisage.

mwalimu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Or is she so focused on saving Sabrina that the thought of Allen's future never occured to her.

You may recall that Tabitha's plan was to appear shortly before Sabrina's accident, well after Alan was born, so that wouldn't have been a problem. It only became a problem when Tabitha accidentally travelled to the wrong time, before he was conceived.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Concentrating on the big picture. Reply with quote

Sslaxx wrote:
Mike Regan wrote:

Forgetting little details, just concentrating on the big picture. Much to her (eventual?) regret, I'd envisage.

I think that's very much the answer.

Another possibility is that she was hoping that he would still exsist. I'm quite sure she knows that Sabrina and Chris wanted to have 'A house full of little baby skunks' (or so Smile) and therefore the possibility was there (small it may be) that, with Sabrina's endometriosis cured Alan would still be born, among a lot of siblings. Of course, he wouldn't be the same Alan, but it would be Alan. Tabitha knows a lot more about the timetravel stuff then we all do and so she might have decided that it's worth the risk.

On the other paw, we still don't know how time works in the authors' minds. It could be that changing the past will create an alternate timeline and the future Tabby came from won't be affected at all. That way when she returns Alan will still be there. Of course, Sabrina won't but Tabby can live in the knowledge that her sister survived and in another time the tragic accident never happened.

Or another possibility, what if Tabitha never planned to return to her own time. That way she would never have seen Alan again anyway.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwalimu wrote:
Mike Regan wrote:

You may recall that Tabitha's plan was to appear shortly before Sabrina's accident, well after Alan was born, so that wouldn't have been a problem. It only became a problem when Tabitha accidentally travelled to the wrong time, before he was conceived.

Oh yes, I forgot about that.

Well, most of my comments from below still stand Smile

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is...
if...
Chris & Sabrina get together, marry and have kid(s).

In STOLS, Sabrina was "cured" of her endometriosis. That allows her to have a less painful woman/motherhood, and the possibility of more children besides Alan...

That is if...
Tabitha does not ruin the Chris/Sabrina union with some surprize reunion with some old man Sabrina has yet to meet in her past...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Zervon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Hope for Alan Foxx Reply with quote

There is of course the possibility that there can be no paradoxes. What has happened, happened. Why it happened though can be dependent on many factors. In chapter 40 of SOtS we find Sabrina is cured of endometriosis. The fact she kept a straight face with both Chris and the Doctor is amazing. Only because Tabitha went back in time early to cure her could this happen.

Now you have to wonder if it was a mistake that Tabitha jumped back 12 years before the accident instead of shortly before the accident. Based on that alone Sabrina will only have one child with Chris before her death and that child will be Alan.

What could the Brunner Effect be? What if it is the fact that history can’t be changed? For example the team wants to stop Oswald from assassinating Kennedy. A traveler goes back to talk to Oswald days before and Oswald agrees it is a crazy scheme. When the traveler returns they find Kennedy was still assassinated. Oswald may have thought it was a crazy idea until this traveler talked to him. Now the team sends someone moments before the assasination to prevent it. This traveler startles Oswald into shooting and killing Kennedy. What if Oswald was waiting for the prefect shot, or may have already lost courage to pull the trigger. Thanks to the time traveler history was insured to stay as written.

Will Chris meet the future Tabitha? Chris does seem rather calm in chapter 24 of SOtS when he hands out the CA-3 model to Florence. Of course why he had that stuff is an excellent question, and I’ll have to let Chris answer for that.

As to saving Sabrina, if the past can’t be changed then is Tabitha responsible for Sabrina’s death now? Will her warning only cause what is to happen to happen? When Tabitha returns to her own time line and finds Sabrina is still dead what can she do? Maybe jump back to just before the accident. Only her calculations are just off by the 10th decimal. Her next jump could be the one that caused the trucker to swerve and hit Sabrina’s car. I wonder if anyone could live with that?

Dr. Brunner said if you succeed in doing this jump no one else will be able to. Could that mean that time travel will only be the cause for effects in the past? Will time travel be stopped so that the past could change that way? Then if the past can’t be changed does it really matter what the future does? For Tabitha I wish it could be a brighter future. Still learning to deal with the past may be the lesson she really needs.

Mapper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one problem now is that with Sab in the future and never meeting Chris in the past all evidence of there relation is now non existant unless there are multipule time lines like in that movie Millenium(I think thats what it was). or tab meets tab from future. Oy my heads starting to hurt. really looking forward to next chapter

Av by GreyCat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: