Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From the Depths...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Very interesting chapter.

One thing that surprised me a little is that Dr. Jo did not send a full doctor to look after Khan, only nurses or go herself and leave the convict to Beka.

Good to see Simon take a step in the right direction. Smile

And there are going to be a few very interesting conversations once Khan is well enough again. Twisted Evil Laughing Wink

Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Now to drop the other shoe since it seems no one picked it out.
Toni was with them and she lives with Khan. Surly she would have known how to get there.

Nope- again, not a mistake.
Toni hadn't yet told anyone that she was living with Khan, and didn't want to volunteer the info, at that time. You want the furs who lust after the fur you want, to know that you've been living with him?? Sounds like a recipe for potential 'cat-fight' (no puns intended!)

-Shirh Khan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are going to have some interesting conversations once Khan rejoins the living. Wink
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless wrote:
Surprised Hmmm, I wonder:
Are the clinic's ambulances equipped with the special "first aid" kit Khan designed? Wink

As for the inventions for governmental use:
I find it hard to believe that Khan found the time to work on those, especially the BP vest and make the improvements he did.

I'm pretty sure someone else thought about the gel idea before, most of the problem would be to get a compound that does exactly what is required, not to have the idea.

Well, he *did* have two years in which to do nothing beyond be a doctor- he would have looked into just about everything he could in order to avoid what has currently happened to him. The 'impact gel' was already developed- he just happened to stumble across it, and think of how it could be used. He created a prototype for the government in the space of about 6-9 months, then used his contact with ThorpCom to get an audience w/ the goverment. They took over from there.

And as far as developing the radio- all the components he needed already exist(ed), and it was just a matter of putting them all together. Again, that took maybe a year. Again, he created a prototype, and let the goverment take over afterwards.

A fur with sufficient determination and resources could probably build his own nuke in the space of about six months to a year (if not in less time). Khan didn't have to search far for the ingredients for his developments. And with his commercial inventions/developments bringing him money, he could devote all of his non-working time to the projects. No one said that Khan slept very well over the course of those two years, ya know.... Twisted Evil

-Shirh Khan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirh Khan wrote:
Nameless wrote:
SNIP

SNIP - No one said that Khan slept very well over the course of those two years, ya know.... Twisted Evil

-Shirh Khan

heck, Nameless, take a look at the greatest mind of the nineteenth and twentieth century - Nikola Tesla. The man was nearly insane - right before he came up with a revolutionary idea called ALTERNATING CURRENT. We'll just stop right here, Rod Terl, Galadrion, EF, and all the rest of my mad scientist friends, I am NOT gonna let this one get hijacked.

SmileRazz

Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Notice: Reply with quote

I'll keep it simple:

Chapter 41c of "From the Depths to the Heights" has been posted!

Go read, then come back and post your comments here.

-Shirh Khan

whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, a good chapter Mr. Khan. Especially with how you deal with the feelins that Khan has about himself. All too often it is impossible for a person to describe them, even when it has been experienced. I know from my own personal experience how it is, yet you have captured every feeling and written it down for everyone to see and feel on a scale that is not dangerous.

Back in action!

Anyone who calls themselves normal is either a fascist or a liar.
Pat The Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Khan is still missing a bit of the point as he tries to once again shore up the depths of his heart. He has to deal with the fact he is not an emotional statue. Many people try to be (Lord knows I have) but as always everything that stay o rigid for so long hs a tendency to break and fall; and fall they do. Hopefully the group can show Khan the error of trying to be a pillar of control rather than the bending twisting and moulding form of a true personality.

fuzzy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good, SK! I wondered if you were going to include the consequences of a failure at seppuku in this - I can see I needn't have worried. Now I'm wondering how that's going to come out in-story... I would think that Beau Wolff would be the most likely to know about that little snippet, but there are possibly others who might have an inkling. After all, we don't know who else in the story might have some background with weapons-lore, or maybe some interest in Japanese culture.

Of course, Beau isn't guaranteed to know this - after all, his weapons training lies along other lines. He may have to find out through careful prodding at his patient, provoking a possible blowup, or maybe another breakdown. Neither is a great thing, but either could lead to both some release for Dr. Khan and a great deal of relieved stress among those who are watching out for the good doctor.

And yes, Pat, that rigid shell he's trying to slip back into can be the source of many problems... but I think that at this point, it's something Dr. Khan needs. He needs a chance to get back on his feet again, for his own self-image. Hopefully, though, his armor has taken enough of a beating that he won't be able to get it back in place and reinforced before circumstances (in the persons of Izzy and Dr. Wolff, to name two) are able to drive home the point that he doesn't have to stand alone... and that it would be a very bad idea.

You know who else I think will be able to get through to him? Possibly even better than those two? Two other furs: Toni, and Simon. Toni, because of what she's been through - and I don't think we've seen nearly all, even the worst, of that. It wouldn't surprise me if she's carrying slash marks under the fur on her wrists, or the emotional equivalent. Almost certainly, she's considered it. And Simon - well, the parallels run deep, there. Elijah and Simon share a lot of common ground... they need to talk.

As for the rest... well, I have a lot of impressions about this chapter, but it's still rather nebulous at the moment. You've given me a lot to think about, O Most Adept Author, and I'm going to have to mull things over for a while before I'll be able to express much more than this.

(<Snicker> I just got a strange mental image - Blue Wolf bullying his way into the watch roster, and then giving Dr. Khan a piece of his mind in a dreadfully camp manner. I can't see how OBA would manage to finagle that, but it's the sort of thing Blue would do - and probably do quite effectively.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Concolor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Khan, you have presented us with a most . . . . . amazing . . . . . portal into the psyche of the good Doctor.

Quite a stunning chapter. Intimate (on many levels), sensuous, revealing, and, above all, true. You have my heartfelt thanks.

I believe Galadrion is correct in saying that Khan will not be able to fully rebuild the old cracked and dented armor shell. His friends and lovers will be watching him now, prodding where he needs it, shoring him up (or posing good questions) when the situation warrents it.

I grow continually more curious about how this love quintangle is going to fall out. I frankly can't see Izzy or Carmen "sharing" him with anyone. But they are both pretty hopelessly in love with him. And I think at least one of them would be his ultimate choice. Either would make a good mate for him.

Heh. Maybe a Khan/Carmen/Beau/Izzy arrangement, a la Heinlein's familial marriages in The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress? Twisted Evil That would be something to write home about!

Thank you, again, most excellent Khan, for sharing your gift with your loyal readers!

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read the chapter. Shocked

Very interesting. Surprised Twisted Evil

Can't really say more at the moment, am still a little (or a lot) jet-lagged. Confused

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I think that Izzy might be the most efficient at preventing EK from building up his shell too tightly, especially if she can not keep her emotions under control.
There's a saying somewhere along the lines of "A woman's tears are a powerful weapon."
If she breaks out in tears every time he starts retreating into his shell and excluding her, he might find it rather difficult to do retreat into that shell. Wink

Kelly McAllen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concolor wrote:

I grow continually more curious about how this love quintangle is going to fall out. I frankly can't see Izzy or Carmen "sharing" him with anyone. But they are both pretty hopelessly in love with him. And I think at least one of them would be his ultimate choice. Either would make a good mate for him.

Out of the two of them, I think it is Izzy who has the best chance of helping him. She is also the one who I think truly loves him. And its this real love for him that I think will help him. Carmen only thinks she loves him. She said it her self, Kahn is the first male she has had a real attraction to. So she has nothing to compair this infatuation to. Izzy has felt love befor, and knows what it feels like. She also knows heartbreak.

the dark ferret

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got caught up after a hiatus. Great work as usual. Keep it up!

Khan needs to shed that armor he wears. I used to wear emotional armor like that, until a year or three ago, when I finally "woke up" from the depression after my father died, and started LIVING life, instead of just going through the motions. It's the only way to really heal. And it was stories like this one that inspired me to write my own; participate in forums like this; and meet the love of my life on one such! Very Happy

Hopefully, a similar future awaits Khan, and he will recognize it for what it is when it comes... Smile

I have a VCL ARCHIVE!
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Don't look a gift Horse in the mouth..... Reply with quote

Hiya, folks...

Because I may very likely be on the road at my usual post time (which is between 2200 hrs Thurs- 0030 hrs Fri), I will put my next post on the website a day early.

Now, also because I am eager to have this post up already, I will even go so far as to post it eight hours earlier than I usually would, even given the above stipulation!

So, in other words, the next Interlude chapter has been posted!! Go read! and when you finish, there's a bonus "Interlude 4.5" link at the bottom- read that, too! Have fun, and let me know what you think!

-Shirh Khan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> shirh khan All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 33 of 45

Jump to: