Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Real furries. They are possible.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is this possible
yes
77%
 77%  [ 17 ]
no
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 22

NovaFox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can only point to the book "Homunkuli" from Peter Lorenz. In this book they manage to clone humans and to hack the genetic code. Funny that just when I finished reading it, here pops up a theme like this Wink
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
Fishburne wrote:
The Closest Genetic unit to Humanity is the MOUSE.

Shocked come again?

He probably means that rodents are the only other species that invades other's territory like humans do.

Bearion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To throw my 1 1/2 cents in...

Yes, cloning and manipulating of various plants, animals and humans will happen in the future. Just because we can.

However, I don't think we'll see a human become a classical Anthro "Furry". Other than the novelty of it, full body fur and a tail are simply impractical. And research $$ aren't allocated on the impractical.

I could envision an animal being enhanced with the ability to speak, communicate, and reason. A seeing-eye dog that could do more than nudge and "woof" is an example. Crossing over that line would be a classic opening of "Pandora's Box", but that hasn't stopped anyone yet.

We live in interesting times.

Bearion

Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
Styx wrote:
Fishburne wrote:
The Closest Genetic unit to Humanity is the MOUSE.

Shocked come again?

He probably means that rodents are the only other species that invades other's territory like humans do.

No.

Seriously. The closest Genetic code to Human Code is that of the common mouse. Go ask a Genetecist.

Ever wonder why the scientific community uses them to research human interaction with drugs?

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because their cheaper then chimps? Laughing That’s too weird if they are closer to us then 98% genetically then why are they built so differently

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comaparing mice to humans to chimps; thhe problems lies in what we are comapring...

Chimps are closer because their gene codons are a) simillar with only a few differences in between them and b) gene codon locations between chimps and humans are exact.

Mice are closer because their gene codons are 1) exactly the same as humans but 2)not in the same locations as a humans. In fact, they are in totally different locations (on different chromosomes), with a couple missing and a few added on.

Humans and chimps share the same number of chromosomes (24 pairs of 48 chromosomes), while a mouse has 18 pairs (I think it 18, I know its under 20) of 36 chromosomes.

Yes, bio-genetics was one of my hobbies... My high school and college science teachers hated me for hopping around from one field to another and not stay put on one place.

And to believe these were the same ppl who said that micro computers would not amount to much in the early 80's... Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
And to believe these were the same ppl who said that micro computers would not amount to much in the early 80's... Laughing

Well they were right in a way there pretty cheap now (course there cheaply made to) Confused

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back on topic now...

here it is:
If you are crazy enough, dumb enough, stupid enough to take it to an extreme...

http://www.bmezine.com/

Kids, DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME!!!

There is a specail risk section there, for you can break it!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm you got my attention but unfortunately my work server blocked that URL must be pretty extreme guess I'll have to wait till I get home to see.

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for an image from one of the con's where this one guy who did the body-mods to himself to look like a real fur as humanly as possible...

everyone knows his name when they see him, but he's also on the most wanted list- for freaking out Uncle Kage and #2... #2 put him on the most wanted list.

Well, I'm on that list too, but for doing nice things in the pawpet's funday chat room Mr. Green

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*rolls eyes* That guy... I guess he had to come up in this topic.

Totally crazy if you ask me but it's his decision and if he can afford that stuff and it makes him happy, let him do it.

BTW: Mike has a few photos of him on the Raccoon's Bookshelf. He was at the last Confurence.

I'm gonna wait till the genetic therapy is working perfect. If that shouldn't happen in my lifetime I'll have to die as a human.

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
That?s too weird if they are closer to us then 98% genetically then why are they built so differently

Because most of the genetic material is devoted to basic functions that are the same (or very similar) for most animals (e.g. how to turn sugar into fat or vice versa, how to make bones, skin or hairs, ...)
It's really only a small difference in the genetic code between growing a few hairs per square centimeter of skin (like most humans) or grow a few thousand (most mammals, and come to think of it, humans in several body locations as well).
Similarly, the difference between growing a certain bone 2 centimeters or 20 centimeters long is rather small from a genetic point of view.

Actually, if you look at the skeletons of two different mammals, you will find that they have more or less the same bones, they are just formed differently. And in most places where one has bones that the other one does not, it is a matter of repetition (e.g. four fingers vs. five or so many ribs versus a different number of ribs), bones fusing together in one species.

Given these points, I think it should be relatively easy to modify humans into furries (or, more correctly, into "humans-in-a-fursuit") Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: