Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OK. It may be alive, but......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Identity Crisis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: OK. It may be alive, but...... Reply with quote

Unfortunately it's acting unstable. I'm going to have to do a wipe and re-install of drive C. None of my aplications are stable, including word.

*sighs*

Fun fun fun.

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pat The Fox

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you get to take your rage out on your machine by whiping everything, so you can play an evil villian or something:

"HA! Defy me shall you? now you lose all memory of ever being...mwahahahahah!"

fuzzy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to remember that next time I have to rebuild my machine...I like to let my evil villain laugh out for a walk once in a while...

Kinsfire

webkilla

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<laughs like an evil bond villian>

So goldhardrive? You will not be compitable? Well, we have ways of making you talk (to my DVD-drive that is)

MUHUHAUHHA! Razz

Sorry, couldn't help myself... Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think the big incompatability came from the fact that my old motherboard was an Intel based chipset and the new one is SiS based. The base drivers just absolutely puked.

Next time I'm going to upgrade, I'll make sure to format the OS level and start over from scratch to beginwith.

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always done that when changing the motherboard even if it's the same chipset the ACPI may be a different version (XPpro just hates that) and normally by the time I get around to upgrading the MOBO the registry pretty cluttered and needs to be cleaned out anyway it.

Hortmage

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikaru wrote:
Actually I think the big incompatability came from the fact that my old motherboard was an Intel based chipset and the new one is SiS based. The base drivers just absolutely puked.

Next time I'm going to upgrade, I'll make sure to format the OS level and start over from scratch to beginwith.

The family that computes together stays together! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Notices the absolute silence on the forum.

What??? Don't tell me I'm the only one who found that funny! Wink

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<sound of chirping crickets>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RodTerl

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Dead OS Reply with quote

Could be worse, you couldve ordered an AmigaONE, only to find out you can actually run any new AMiga software, because AOS 4 is still being debugged.

Then again, AOS 3.9 running on UAE, hosted on Linux, on an 800Mhz A1, seems to be doing rather well. Cool

RodTerl

Amiga, even Microsoft is having trouble killing this off Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead OS Reply with quote

RodTerl wrote:
Could be worse, you couldve ordered an AmigaONE, only to find out you can actually run any new AMiga software, because AOS 4 is still being debugged.

Then again, AOS 3.9 running on UAE, hosted on Linux, on an 800Mhz A1, seems to be doing rather well. Cool

RodTerl

Amiga, even Microsoft is having trouble killing this off Twisted Evil

Interesting choice of system config. But then, I should talk...

New World G4-500MHz, 256Mb of RAM
Mandrake PPC 9.1
MacOS 9.01 running in Mac-on-Linux
RodTerl

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: MOL Reply with quote

Interesting method of running PPC based Mac code, hosted on PPC Linux Cool

Sounds as weird as the old days, when an A4000 running a Mac Emulator, could actually outperform an identical chipped Mac Quadra, by up to 15% Cool

Mandrake 9.1?.. Typical, I just managed to get 9.0 on a P233. Oh well, Im only going to be using it as a server. Im trying to save for a new A1. Cool

Hope your next box lasts longer Hikaru, are you going to use network mirroring over a cluster of old 486s or something, using auto backup?

RodTerl

Aiming for, ADSL, Bastille Firewall, HUB DMZ, Bastille Firewall, HUB, Email terminal Cool If you think This is paranoid, you aint seen the hardware and software Ive been working on Twisted Evil

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old machine (P3/800 with 768M) was downgraded to my Linux box, replacing the Dual P3/400 motherboard, so there's not much of a performance hit. All I had to do was recompile the kernel so it didn't support multiple CPU's and there was no problem.

I've yet to try and install Linux on this P4 machine, but that's on my list of things to do.... though it's WAY at the bottom. Smile

webkilla

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hurry up!

I know perfection can't be rushed, but this is getting excruciatingly nasty... no offence of course...

RodTerl

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Hmmmm Reply with quote

Decisions, decisions, on the one hand, a cheap 800 Mhz PC running windows or Linux.. on the other hand, a far more expensive, brand new 800 Mhz PPC Amiga 1, running just bout all my existing classic software..

Wheres the check book, this is one scrawl MS is Not getting their hands on.

By the way, sorry for being off topic. Microsoft has just announced to buy the Unix patents from SCO, that they say that IBM released for use in Linux.

SCO wanted $1 Billion.. MS?.. I want... 100 Billion Dollars (Insert Dr Evil sound sample.)

Um, Hikaru?.. I think you might want to have a careful look through the licencing agreements before you go much further with the reinstall.. We definitely do Not want you to lose your work to those psycopathics, money grabbing, codeless $%£^"%^&" at Redmond. 8(

Wish you all the best.. Im just hoping, in the words of A.C.Clarke, the human race has a remarkable propensity for getting out of trouble by the skin of its (...?) teeth.

RodTerl

Terrorists, are there, because you cant be bothered to take notice of what happens outside your front door, and dont care as long as it doesnt happen to you. When it des happen. Its too late.

Wish I could offer the origin of this quote, but its not me, but it has a large grain of truth. 8(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Identity Crisis All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: