Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chapter 10 Homefront

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfwhite
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Chapter 10 Homefront Reply with quote

Chapter 10: Homefront.

Tarra

Four months had passed since Afain's startling news of twins. During this time the pregnancy had taken its toll on her, she hadn't slept soundly in ages. Tolare and Shearah were still very worried about her. They do not want to over medicate her because her situation was still volatile. They have allowed Afain to continue her studies moderately but that is all, she is to rest in the mean time when she can.

There were no complications in reversing Tolare's age; it went about the same as Shearah's. She is now a little older than Shearah but still prefosarian (prepubescent).

Both Afain and Kira have returned to Tarra and to the hall of records. Today happens to be their class in the study of the Ancient language along with many others whom the Emperor, with Afain's guidance has assigned to learn the Ancient dialect. There was too much history to be lost, if they allowed the Ancient texts to fade away. It was one of the main reasons that Tolare and Shearah were altered.

Kira closed her book and sighed, then put down her head in disgust. Afain wasn't too impressed with her behavior lately.
"Kira what's wrong with you today? We are way ahead of the others, even Historian 0 Clotho is impressed with our progress." Afain had seen Clotho's smile, but she believed that she had a soft spot for her. "She even suggested that we look through the records already."
"I know, I know," Kira said begrudgingly. "but Afain, this stuff is as boring as watching eloglates (tortoises) mate." Kira had no patience for this and rolled her eyes.

It was incredibly true Afain thought and a sigh escaped her muzzle. "I know, hang in there. Remember you're the one who's going to have to be more proficient in this than I."
Kira blinked, "And why do you say that?" She looked confused.
"You're the one that has to teach the organic to read and learn this script, she pointed to the papers in front of them, "so that it can talk to the old world ship."

Kira sighed heavily, "You're right." Her eyes looked tired and Afain moved her paw in back of Kira's head and stroked her behind her ear. Kira smiled, "You do know me."
"Yes." She grinned.
"I just wish they would make up their minds already, I need time with that organic. The more time they delay the longer it's going to take. It's been three months." She plopped her head onto the desk again, it was not a good day.
"You know the council, they won't do anything this important in haste. In fact I'm betting that we will be called soon to talk with them."
Kira eyes opened wide, "Please tell me you're joking."
"No Kira, they will want details only we can provide."
Kira shook her head from side to side, "I don't want to talk to the council, I'm a programmer Afain not a diplomat."
"You think I want to?" Kira saw it clearly in Afain's face that this is not what she wanted either.
"Well you do more with people than I do."
"Kira…"
"Ok…I know." Kira shook her head. "Guess I'm just being impatient." She strummed her fingers against the table.
"Think we can get back to learning greetings?" Afain gave her mate the eye.
"Sure." She sighed it was going to be a long morning.

At break Kira and Afain had an interesting talk - over some very foul tasting but nutritious supplements that Shearah had prescribed- all about family units.
Kira spit out her drink spraying it all over the table, "You cannot be serious Afain…you know how old they are?!!" She quickly began cleaning up the mess she had made a moment ago.
"Yes I do! They are children in the eyes of the public." Afain said sternly. "Soon citizens will wonder; thank goodness they have so far kept a low profile but that won't last.

Kira put both paws to her skull and shook her head, "Afain, they are close to three times our age; they know more about how to go about their lives than maybe even we do. Now you want to go and do this!!!"
Afain couldn't see the problem, "Yes I do! As guardian, do you object?"
Kira thought about this for a moment, she couldn't see a problem but she knew there might be on their end. "No I don't object but they will."
Afain was determined, "Hmmph!!! No they won't."
Kira just grinned and let it slide as she watched Afain finish her drink. Then watched as she went to speak to Tolare; at least she picked the right one to approach first, she thought.

Afain saw Tolare across the room and waved her paw to draw her attention. It seems she was successful as Tolare started to move towards her. As soon as she was in hearing range she could hear Tolare's voice.
"Child, are you ill???" As a youthful Zargozian, Tolare had a lot of energy and moved quite quickly. She wanted no harm to come to Afain while under her care.
As they met, Afain took in a deep breath, "No Tolare but I wish to speak to you in private if possible?"
"Certainly, child…certainly." She looked about and found a room that was semi empty.

The room she found was full of extra chairs and some other things but it was quiet for the moment.
"Now child, what is it you wish to see me about?" Tolare said, smiling.
Afain was pleased to see she was well. Tolare had feared the rejuvenation process but Shearah had been there the minute she awoke to tell her the news of its success. The light green dress draped over her youthful body seemed to accent her natural beauty. Afain knew Shearah and Tolare belonged together, she could see that, it was painfully obvious for anyone who took the time to notice. Right now though she had something important to think about. She moved quickly to Tolare and before she could react bit her ear; lightly not as to draw blood, just enough so she could feel it. She backed away, awaiting Tolare's reaction.

Tolare was shocked, her eyes went wide in disbelief, "You cannot be serious?!!"
Afain looked hurt, "I am, Tolare."
"Afain… you know how old I am?"
"I do Tolare but you must ask yourself; what does the rest of our world see??"
Tolare was shocked, she blinked several times without saying a thing. "I…I"
"They see a child running about without a family member present. You know what happens to children in that predicament." Afain quickly stopped talking and let Tolare think.

"I see what you mean Afain, but are you sure you want me?"
"It is for the best… I know who you are and what has happened to you. In other cases you would have to pretend constantly. Yes I am sure Tolare but…there will be rules."
"Rules?"
"Yes, let me explain." She told Tolare her position and what she expected then awaited her response.
Tolare moved in and Afain lowered her head, Afain felt a gentle nibble at her ear. Her heart soared and she smiled, she had her first child in her newly created family unit.

"I won't do it!!!" Shearah said loudly and began to stomp around the small room.
Tolare sighed, "You will do it, if we are to stay together. I have already accepted her offer."
"What?? Tolare this is ridiculous. You know how old we are? They could be our great grand children."
"Yes, that is true but look at yourself. What does the outside world see? They see two children without a family unit and that will not do. You know full well our government takes children's needs very seriously."
Shearah was not impressed, "We are both wealthy enough to buy our independence and I know enough counselors to quell any bureaucratic nonsense. I don't like this."
"You think I do? My mind hasn't really accepted what I am now! I still think of them as children and students, of which many of them were."
"Tolare, did you hear what you just said? We are physicians, the best the Empire has to offer." Shearah said proudly, "I am not going to…"

Tolare interjected "No! We are two children in search of a family unit, which Afain has graciously offered us. Our wealth is useless, we are too young to access it and how are you going to convince these friends of yours that you are Physician #0 Shearah without telling them you have been through rejuvenation? Need I remind you of the Emperor's threat?
Isolation or death will be our only option, they really only need one of us. Afain can be treated quite effectively from a physician's prison cell. Besides, do you have a better option? They are open to suggestions. Since we were unconcerned with a solution, they came up with their own. It's a good idea Shearah and I trust them."
Shearah was taken aback but Tolare's raised voice rang with the truth, "Hmmmmmrufffff…I'll agree to this but we will do what we want!" She shook her finger at Tolare.
"No we won't." She stared deeply into Shearah's eyes.
"What???"
"Shearah…we have to use common sense and I think Afain has that in line for us."
"You mean rules."
"Yes."
Shearah rolled her eyes.

Ceremony.

Kira fidgeted in the chair awaiting Afain's arrival, Tolare and Shearah sat opposite her sitting quietly naked. Afain finally arrived unclothed as well, as the first gathering usually was meant to be.
Kira stood up and as Guardian tradition called for she disrobed last, once that was done she sat back down.
"I'm sorry this meeting of our house is so late but you know I haven't been at all well," Afain said.
"We understand child, I hope you are well enough now to do this?" Tolare said, concern evident in her voice.
She smiled, "I am…I know this is awkward , you are both older and wiser than I am but I felt it necessary to keep things from escalating into trouble for you two and for us." She looked over at Kira.
Shearah spoke up, "I can see where it could cause some problems." She held Tolare's paw lightly, in her mind though she really didn't want to be here.

"Ok…I've talked and filed reports with Minister Garan, we have come up with fake backgrounds on both of you. We did not change your names, it's not going to make that much difference." Afain sighed; this part was going to be hard for the two physicians to take. "A month from now your passing will be announced by the Emperor. Your merits to the Empire will be heard across the known worlds; it is in respect for your contributions to our society's health and prosperity."
She looked for a reaction and saw one of shock. "I'm sorry it has to be this way."

They looked at each other, it was hard to hear that their old lives were going to end. "What's going to happen to us?" Tolare's thoughts were a bit mixed, being told you're dead was unnerving.
"Don't worry Tolare, you're part of this house now, Garan and the Emperor have seen to that. We have also made it so that your affections to Shearah will seem natural. I will give you both your files so we can all be on the same page when we explain your origins. Now for the rules." Shearah braced herself.

Afain got up and moved to sit between them, "I know imposing rules upon you is going to be awkward however they are nothing but common sense." She looked at both of them and smiled. "The first rule is that you will not engage in sexual activity until you have matured." She knew that rule was going to be a tough one.
Tolare just nodded and she gave Shearah the evil eye.
"I will explain. Kira and I have a project to do for the Emperor and it is probable that another will be here to watch over you. It would be difficult to explain to them that you are sexually active at such a young age. You will be a representation of our family and to be caught in that situation could put me in a difficult situation. I hope you will understand, I will lift this ban once you have changed. I have no difficulties after that with you enjoying each others company." She smiled at both of them and took their paws in hers.

"You two belong together and I am not going to stand in your way of a relationship. Garan arranged that you are from totally different worlds and that your love for each other will not be questioned."
"Thank you Afain." Tolare said, "We will abide by that rule. It will be difficult though."
"You said it." Shearah said with a grumble.
Afain gave her a good squeeze, "You're an old softie I see." Shearah tried to act tough but she found that she cared a lot for Afain and the fact this might not be too bad a deal after all. Besides, they hadn't been sexually active in decades and being so young now their hormones were quiet, for the time being anyway.
"The other rule is how you treat me in public, Tolare…I am not a child. You must learn to just call me bearer or Afain will do. Same goes for Kira, just use guardian or Kira it will be fine. You do not need to use our titles now that you are in our family unit."
"I'm going to find that difficult child, …ah… I mean Afain, my mind hasn't really begun to understand that I am now a youth."
"I am having the same problem, child." Shearah said.
Afain just rolled her eyes, it was going to take awhile, "Yes, some of the physicians on the station had some suggestions to deal with this situation. The one I and the Emperor have chosen is one you will not like." She paused for a brief moment then spoke again, "You are both going back to school."

Shearah and Tolare couldn't believe their ears, "What?!!" they said simultaneously.
"School!" Kira said, "we have agreed to enroll you in the nearest school."
"But…Afain this is ridiculous. We would out shine all the other students, we wouldn't fit in." Tolare said.

Kira knew Afain was going to need support on this one, "Yes you will, you'll make new friends and learn some new things along the way. It will allow your mind to adjust to what it is now…young. You have a new lease on life, a chance to fall in love all over again and enjoy the things that maybe you never did in your former youth."

Shearah shook her head and stood up, "I am not going to school! I've got enough knowledge in this head of mine to put them all to shame. By the Emperor, I wrote three of the textbooks they currently use!"

Kira stood up and approached Shearah, "Yes; but who is going to be there when all these youngsters learn all the wrong things? You remember how students are, you taught a great number of them. You also taught their current instructors and developed many of the methods they use. You now have a unique opportunity to see how well the system works from a very different point of view. Now if you're not up to that challenge…I can…"
"NOT UP TO IT!! Let me tell you young pup I…" Shearah stopped in mid sentence knowing full well what Kira had just done.
"Yes." Kira grinned.
Shearah sighed, she had fallen for it. "You win…when do we start?"
Tolare smiled, it wasn't often that someone got the best of Shearah.
Kira pulled Shearah in and gave her a big hug, "I think I'm going to like you."
Shearah wasn't sure what she had gotten herself into.

Time Passes.

The past few days had her throwing up with almost every movement. Shearah didn't help things much; she and school didn't quite mesh. Afain had argued with her until she had thrown up in front of Shearah the day before. That day wasn't a good one, her blood pressure went through the roof. Tolare chewed Shearah out good for what she had done.

In the end Shearah had felt horrible and came back later to apologize. They were good people, they just had to adjust to a new life and to forget about their old lives. Although Tolare had a strange request one afternoon, she asked to go somewhere special just this one time. She didn't want to say why but Afain saw it in her eyes that she was sincere in her request. Afain and Kira had agreed there was no harm to the trip and had taken her to where she wanted to go a few days later.

She was feeling good today- a pleasant relief -so she decided it was time to find her elusive Engineer. Afain rubbed her abdomen as she rode Cleo towards the large hanger. She was quite swollen now, it surprised her that her belly was so hard. She had thought that it would be soft but no, this was quite firm. She had taken her motion sickness medication today early to make sure that she could make this trip. Cleo came up with an interesting solution for maintaining constant contact with her body, the A.I. now took the form of clothing, constantly monitoring her systems. Her robes merged seamlessly with the disk she now rode. The day was beautiful and she was glad to be out of the house.
"I hope she is still here," the facility's manager had given them directions and said she didn't know if their quarry was still around or not, "she was but that was awhile ago."
"I have tried to scan for her, but the aircraft and the many shields that are erected around here are playing havoc with my sensors." Cleo said. "Are you ok? I can slow even further."

"No, Cleo, this is fine." She smiled to herself; Cleo, over the months had become somewhat different. At first Cleo was definitely a machine and acted like one but now it had developed quite the lovely personality and was very caring in its mannerisms. It was never too pushy in its requests to carry her, today was no exception but she knew how far it was and let Cleo allow her the pleasure of taking her around. Kira had also noted the changes in Cleo; she knew machines adapted but changed little of their core programming. So they were both impressed with Cleo's development into something quite different than they were use to.

She had reviewed the data on this engineer. The records didn't tell her much which was strange; it hardly said anything about her personally. It listed her education and experience merits, which were impressive but there was no other data on her. Her name was listed as Lyjaifortia, a mouthful at that. An Engineer 2, almost a 1; she only needed another year to complete her training and advance to Number 1 status. Impressive considering it sometimes took a lifetime to advance from 2 to 1, decades at least. The impressive thing was she was literally trained in many of the facets that they needed. She was one of maybe a handful of engineers who didn't specialize to achieve rank. The old world ship would need someone who could be creative and knowledgeable in many areas. She sounded perfect, now all she had to do was talk with her.

The hangar was huge and there were several ships about but no one seemed to be around.
"Cleo, where is everyone?" Afain looked about the hanger confused; there should be someone here.
Cleo scanned and found several Zargozians in the next hanger but none in this one. "There are some citizens in the next hanger maybe they know where to find this engineer."
"All right, head…" Afain started to say but as she did she was interrupted.

A voice came out of nowhere, seemingly from no one, "Who are you looking for?"
The voice sounded upset, "Hello?" Afain said as she looked around but saw no one.
"You can't see me. Who is it you and your machine are looking for?" The voice seemed closer now and it was indeed distressed.

Afain decided to go along with the voice hoping not to upset the Zargozian behind it even more, "I'm looking for Number 2 Engineer Lyjaifortia." Afain stumbled over the last name but she was sure she got the pronunciation right.
The voice chuckled, "Haven't been called that in awhile, most just use Lyja. I'm not big on titles. You found her, who are you?"

She was glad to hear the different tone of voice, "I'm Historian #1 Afain I've come in search of you, the Emperor has need of your talents and now has removed you from your duties here. I am asking that you assist me in a task placed upon me." She hoped that didn't sound too stern but she was afraid it did.

There was silence for a time, "Oh…really!!" This was an interesting development, "You think you can just walk in here and tell me to stop what I'm doing! The voice seemed to be moving around, it was unnerving but it was also becoming hostile towards her. Afain knew she had overstepped with her last remark but she was determined to talk with her, "Cleo put me down," Afain ordered. Cleo did as ordered then resumed its sphere configuration except for the robe Afain wore that continued to monitor her.

"THAT'S A GUARDIAN!!!" The voice exclaimed but she didn't reveal herself.
It seemed she knew about these items, "How astute of you; it was given to me by the Emperor herself and by her authority I have authority to put you under contract until I see fit to release you. Now I order you to show yourself!" Afain was growing tired of this game of hide and seek.

Lyja wasn't too happy to have someone else ordering her about anytime, today wasn't a particularly good day to try it. Her boss was bad enough, now this obviously pregnant Zargozian shows up and wants her to drop everything. "I haven't heard anything from my superiors; you have no jurisdiction over me." The voice shouted.

The place fell silent, "Cleo, have you been able to locate the source of the voice."
"I'm sorry Afain I haven't been able to, actually as far as my sensors indicate, we are alone." It puzzled Cleo to no end not to be able to help Afain in her quest to find this citizen. "I can triangulate the source of the voice but each time the source location is different, indicating it is moving. With the voice becoming hostile Cleo put up a shield to surround Afain, she was taking no chances. Cleo said silently to Afain using bone induction, "I can use active methods to find the source but they could be considered a hostile act."

Afain glanced at Cleo and shook her head. "Call your superior, she'll confirm what I am telling you. I will wait." Cleo formed into a chair and Afain rested while she hoped this engineer confirmed her story.

An hour later, to Afain's expired patience, the voice of Lyja returned, "She says you're for real and that I'm yours…I had some thinking to do and some other things to finish off. Ok what's the big deal? I mean you're acting all high and mighty."

Afain rose with Cleo's help and once upright spoke. "I apologize for my temper, I'm not in the best of health at the moment and I tend to get moody quickly. To say that your mine is not entirely true, you have a choice in the matter." Talking to nothing but air was irritating but she took a deep breath calming herself in the process.
"Oh, really?" Lyja could see that Afain was clearly agitated but was doing her best trying to stay calm. She was about to offer a solution when Afain spoke again.
"Yes, but I cannot speak to you here about it, if you have time we could go to my ship?"
Cleo's voice sounded, "Sorry to interrupt Afain but I can bring the ship here, there is plenty of room to park it."
"Lyja, do you have time to speak with me? We can do this another day if you wish."

She thought about it, she did have several things that needed to be done but this was getting interesting. "I suppose."
"Bring the ship," Afain wasn't about to waste more time, "and if you would Cleo, I need to sit." The sphere became a chair that floated above the ground.

Lyja was impressed it took a lot of energy to do what it was doing, she just wondered how. "I notice you call it by name; you gave it one?"
"Of course, doesn't everyone who has one?"
"I've never seen one close up; they are usually only given to the Emperors personal staff and guards."

She wanted to take it apart and learn its secrets but she wasn't about to start asking questions about it. She wasn't sure how much power this Historian actually had. Now that she had seen it and what it represented she didn't want to wind up working on one of the outer colonies.
"You can talk with Cleo later… ah…could you become visible so I could talk with you face to face. That's a very impressive piece of technology; Cleo here cannot even find you."

Again a long pause but when Lyja's voice returned it was quiet and somber, "It's not technology." Afain heard a heavy sigh, "It's a natural function of my body and right now…it's sorta out of my control."

Afain's eyes went wide she had never heard of such a creature, or someone who could do what she was doing. "Lyja, do you need medical attention? I am in the care of some very good physicians. "
Afain could hear the doubt in the air.
She just had to bring this up, Lyja thought, "Their scanners go nuts on me." There was silence but Afain thought she heard crying.
Afain whispered to Cleo, "Can you hear sobbing?"
"Yes Afain but it is very far off." Came a quiet reply.
"Lyja, I have access to the best people the Empire has to offer, maybe they can help you." She shouted at an apparently empty hangar. This isn't going anywhere Afain thought, it was obvious that she was upset and they had chased her off.
"The ship will arrive in a moment Afain, I'm programming its landing sequence now."
"Good I'm getting very tired." She sighed then shouted again. "My ship has arrived, I will leave its door open and you may come and talk with us if you wish. I will remain here for a couple of hours, do not hesitate to come see me." Afain turned away from the empty hanger and headed for the outside and awaited her ship to land.

Lyja waited a half an hour to compose herself then she entered the ship. Afain's offer of help seemed too good to be true but if she could cure her, or even just stabilize her it would be something of a miracle.
As she stepped into the ship Cleo was there to greet her, she also could see a force shield protecting Afain's sleeping body.
"Afain sends her greetings."
She wasn't sure about this now, with Afain sleeping. "Maybe I should go and leave her to rest."
"No actually this is what she wanted, you are curious about me," Cleo said, "and Afain felt it might be better if you spoke to me instead. She apologizes again for her moodiness but she has had a horrible time trying to sleep. Her pregnancy has not gone well at all."
"I'm sorry to hear that. Ok, Cleo, it looks like it's just you and me; what's going on that you need me so badly?"
Cleo began to explain and Lyja listened with great interest.

Afain awoke in a hospital bed, surrounding her were machines of all sorts and she began to panic. Alarms began to sound and suddenly there were many Zargozians around her checking things and telling her to remain calm. It was then she saw Tolare, the young Zargozian smiled.
"Tolare? What's going on?"
"You fell asleep."
"But all this…?"
"To monitor you, you fell so deeply asleep it was more like mild coma. We were very concerned and brought you here. How do you feel?"

Afain stretched, she felt good actually, "Good Tolare, stiff but good." Her bones cracked as her arms reached for the ceiling.
"That's what we hoped; your body finally said enough was enough."
"Yeah I guess." She thought about that engineer Lyja and sighed.
"Why the sad look Afain?"
Afain was surprised it showed that much, "Oh, I met a Zargozian with a very interesting but it seems upsetting problem."
"Oh you mean Lyja."
Afain's eyes opened widely, "You know about her?"
"She's here, interesting subject, Shearah is positively glowing, I haven't seen her this excited in a long time."
"Is she ok? I mean the last time I spoke to her she was rather upset."
"She seems in very good spirits now that she knows we can help her."
"You can? THAT'S WONDERFUL!! She said that machines didn't like her."
"Oh you have that right, took us a long time to figure out how to get a scan of her, it's a complex matter but with Cleo's help we were able to do it. She's lucky she came to us, she had a tumor that was causing the loss of control of her fading power."
"Oh …can you operate."
"Oh we already have and it has had a great effect on her; her hormone levels are returning and so is her power to control her gift. We can partially see her now, she is very pretty and you won't believe this she is our age."
"What!!! She's your age but she's an Engineer 2!!" It takes…"
"Machines are a natural thing to her, like us walking… you should have heard the conversations Cleo and she were having it was almost like they were joined or something."
"Oh boy, well she seemed more interested in Cleo than me anyway, seems she got her wish." Afain was pleased to hear that Lyja was feeling better but that still didn't mean that she was going to help. "Tolare any chance I could see her."
"I'm sure you can, she's wandering around with Cleo."
"Oh, it was then she noticed something on her arm. What's this thing Tolare?"
"Oh that's Cleo's monitoring device, it's sort of a down graded version of itself. It has self-defense mechanisms built into it." Afain looked at it strangely. "Cleo wouldn't leave your side until it took precautions; you are its first priority. It called us while it was in transit to here and warned us to be ready when your ship docked."
"Wow!" She said softly.
Tolare smiled and gave a chuckle. "Cleo will defend you with everything it has to ensure your safety, be sure of that."
Afain stroked the device softly, she really didn't grasp until now how much power she really had at her disposal; it now frightened her and a shiver rolled down her spine.

Afain sat stunned as the apparition that was Lyja walked in. That's about the best way to describe her, you could literally see right through her. It was a strange feeling but she willed herself to relax, she was a friend and would not harm her. Tolare was right she was young, a little taller than herself. The first thing that stood out was that it seemed she was furless. Also the fact she couldn't make out her eyes very well and ears, she couldn't find those.
"Hello Historian #1 Afain seems we finally get to meet face to face, sorta."
"Just Afain…if you don't mind I'm like you not big on titles. You are very different from what I pictured."
"Well #0 Physician Shearah thinks I'm wonderful."
"I can imagine," she must be in her glory she thought. "The big question is how are you feeling?"

Avatar: Sheeri artwork by Chris Morrison (c) Chris Morrison
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> cheetaur All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: