Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gone forever...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Introductions / Departures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Major Ivy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Gone forever... Reply with quote

Found this posted on FA

Quote:
Obsolescence.

I have noted over the last several years things that used to be popular are now obsolete and no longer available. Indeed things are vanishing faster. Vinyl records-gone. Cassette tapes-gone. Video tapes-gone. Pay phones used to be common in every store and public building; every gas station had at least one booth. Now it’s a rare sight to find one and getting rarer. I have a large collection of VHS tapes that I am replacing with DVD and Blu-ray since tape players are very hard to find. Nearly impossible to find film for a camera now that digital has come out; same for camcorders.
I ran an online story site. About five years ago readership started to fall when the portable game units began to appear. No one came to read so the writers eventually stopped writing.

Since no one posted to my forum and no new story parts were being submitted I gave up even visiting the sites.
Recently I got an email that both were down and had been for a while. I don’t know, I have not gone to look or try to fix. The email, from one person, showed me very clearly that reading is something else that is obsolete. I, the writers and the stories they wrote are something else they simply threw into the trash heap as unworthy of their interest.
I used to count up a couple of hundred hits a day; the last year, none. The Raccoons-bookshelf was treated with total apathy. Apathy is contagious; they don’t care and I have learned not to as well. I have been told it’s gone, don’t look for it to come back because they have taught me not to care, that I belong on that trash pile of worthless garbage.
To the writers who tried to share their works for the enjoyment of the uncaring others, I at least apologize.
[/b]
Kit Fox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sad. I still read. It's especially easier now that I can do it on the go with my phone.
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is gone forever.

And I believe, based on what was written, the Old Gray Raccoon wants the Bookshelf to live again.

I dunno, maybe of someone were to take over the Bookshelf, or something like that. I know I wanted to read Tale Of Two Sabrinas yesterday, only to find the pdf file corrupt.

Gah . . .

Sad

Major Ivy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe not. I just looked and found them both working.
But no updates in a while.
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined in 1999, left for a while in 2006 and Joined 2007 again.. Guess we all grow up eventually and learn how to deal with those that stand in our way or a situation that supposedly really ruins every day. Or so it seems. I never really got into writing, but joined the film industry instead.. Started creating wonderful things that people never really appreciated until I started re-creating characters from the furry fandom circles.

Giving up on a dream is not an option.. if you do.. you might as well lie down and die. People say its trash, heh but do they even have the guts to take it on themselves? No.. they don't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
Major Ivy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Fox wrote:

Giving up on a dream is not an option.. if you do.. you might as well lie down and die. People say its trash, heh but do they even have the guts to take it on themselves? No.. they don't.

Looks like he did.
RIP The Old Gray Raccoon.
Kit Fox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeze... No good!
Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame but that's just... how it is now.

Most young people (and I mean early twenties down) are very self focused. A lot of them are far more invested in their social justice cults and twitters than anything else.

Ugh... Twitter. The very death of textual conversation.

The written word is among so many things left in the dust by the all-knowing cell phone and the vapid bite-sized tweet.

AKA Mogthemoogle
Major Ivy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask if anyone remembers the old alive and an friendly Planet Furry but since 80% of the member list do not come here any more what would be the point.

PF is dying.
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Ivy wrote:
I would ask if anyone remembers the old alive and an friendly Planet Furry but since 80% of the member list do not come here any more what would be the point.

PF is dying.

The reason PF is dying is simple. This is a family-friendly board that doesn't allow the outright $h!tposting that happens on the other boards.

Some boards, I have blocked threads because of the cr@p that's part of that thread. As of this post, there were 14 different visitors to our friendly little site in the last thirty days. No Bueno.

I will agree with Major Ivy - we are on life support right now.

The sad old warhorse. Sad

Silverstreak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really wish there was some way I could help, but I'm not really able to...

What would you folks recommend? How would you keep this place going?
Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverstreak wrote:
Really wish there was some way I could help, but I'm not really able to...

What would you folks recommend? How would you keep this place going?

Frankly it is the fault of the community that gathered here that the place is in death throws.

Those people who used to frequent here know it still exists, they just choose not to visit. The problem is simple. The community has torn itself apart. Some over squabbling, some over lost interest.

I won't pretend not to feel some measure of contempt for the faces that chose to abandon these halls. However, it is not a grudge and can be remedied fairly easily.

Even I, who have found a modicum of success in my craft and have very little free think time, manage to come here so often. There is hardly an excuse not to. This place made me who I am online. This was my launch pad. My first step into the greater furry community.

I come here in the vain hope that it'll rekindle some day. I come here out of respect, like visiting a memorial in a vague sense.

I come here because it's the only place I can visit Tommy.

AKA Mogthemoogle
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was drama between certain parties, other people lost interest in furry (I dropped out almost entirely for 5 years), and people moved on.

Unfortunately, we also had a number of people pass on, or wind up being unable to access the board due to medical issues. I'm in my 50's and should be dead 20 years ago, but I keep beating the odds. One day, I'll vanish w/o a trace as well, as few if any of my friends IRL know of my furry status to update it.

Life is what happens when you're busy making plans.

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't lose interest so much as just ended up not having much time to come here. Still don't on work days and I'm most active on FA now and I'm on Second Life, albiet that I'm not on that much anymore. It does sadden me to see that this board has seemed to have fallen to the state as this is where I really found Furry for myself.
Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie wrote:
I come here because it's the only place I can visit Tommy.

I come here too see you and the other ones too, but you can find me on facebook too...

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Introductions / Departures All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: