Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nearly ten years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:
What really confuses me is why this change happened at all.

Or am I the only one who has had this kind of experience?

I have felt this change, too. I think the fandom received a very black eye from that CSI episode that was particularly squicky, showing furs in a bad light.

In every fandom, there are the less-popular aspects that form the underbelly of that genre. I have been to a number of fur-meets and for the most part, they seem mostly innocuous. There were those odd-fur-out moments, like the rubber jackals and maybe a few furs were wearing maybe what seemed to be a little too 'serious-looking' leather harnesses, but all in all, it was a good experience.

I'm just not sure where this fandom is heading. I hope it stays around, so I can write my stories that have anthropomorphic characters in them.

And for the record, this thread seems to have the most life of any thread here lately. Odd, huh?

The Old Warhorse.

P.S. - If anyone has sent me a pm or email in the last week, my email server is down while it is being moved to a new machine. It should be back up on Monday the 13th.

Kit Fox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeeeeah... My first real exposure to the fandom back in 01-02 was through the dirty stories haha.
However I looked more into it and here I am... An upstanding furry citizen lol.
We are a dieing breed gentleman. At least we still have PF to come to hah.

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about what happened to Mike, and recalling observations many of us have made here on these very forums, I wonder if it isn't a bit simpler than that, at least for those of us whose primary contribution to the fandom has been the written word.

Are folks just not reading any more? That would explain the loss of feedback, the loss of interest in the product the many writers here produce. It would explain, at least partly, the demise of sites like The Raccoon's Bookshelf, wouldn't it?

Not to seem contradictory, because maybe I'm just not paying attention that closely, but I've never felt any shame in anything I did that was related to the furry genre. Yeah, I'm aware of the things you allude to Filly, and unlike Kel I haven't been to any cons, so I have no experience with those. Nor have I any interest in suits like some of our friends here do. Not saying anything negative about suits or suiters (some of those fur suits are awesome to see and technical marvels), I'm just not into participating in it.

I just liked to tell stories, and had found a place where I could do that and get a little feedback on my efforts from friendly folk who seemed genuinely encouraging.

That has changed. Like global climate change, it's not a matter of is it or is it not happening, it's a matter of how it affects each of us and what we choose to do about it. Me, I feel like everything I try to write these days isn't suitable for public consumption, so I stopped writing.

Why'd I stop reading? That's a bit tougher. I can sing the songs about how RL is too hectic and I have no time, and there may be a lot of truth in that, to a point. But I think the real truth is that I'm too lazy / bored / angry / tired / [insert suitable word] to make the time to sit down and enjoy reading a story ... any story.

That's my situation to rectify and really has nothing to do with the genre, or anyone elses contribution thereto. If I'm going to get anything out of the furry genre I must first begin to reinvest myself in it.

My two cents worth ...

SC

Major Ivy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a while back, when Rava was still here and doing her story, it was commented that no one was responding even when she begged for some feedback. The response was something like, 'if you write for comment you will be disappointed. Write for yourself.'

Well, seems they are if they are bothering to write at all. I remember Mike was doing some stories and he said he had one more in the series but decided too take the advice; he wrote it for himself and chose not to post it. So the readers lost out.
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, that's a very important part of why I've stopped (it's not the only reason, but it's certainly part of it) and moved on to non-furry writing instead.

The lack of feedback is crushing. I've always written for myself, but if I didn't want feedback, I wouldn't post it in the first place.

I've actually met a couple of people who got offended when I told them I needed the feedback, comparing it to substance abuse (I wish that was a joke), and of trolling for praise. Particularly the latter.

I was so astonished I didn't bother getting into a debate in those cases, because frankly it beggars the imagination. As a writer, of COURSE I like positive feedback. I -like- that people enjoy what I've created. I spent time and effort on it, and I invested myself in it. I'd be a moron if I didn't afterwards punch the air in triumph when people enjoy it.

But just as importantly, I enjoyed constructive criticism. I wasn't always terribly good at showing it, but I did take things to heart (and I've gotten better at showing that I appreciate it, over the years).

Nowadays, I'm struggling to write anything at all for a whole, complicated list of reasons, but something I still desperately need, are proofreaders who can a) let me know what errors I've made, both gramatically and in terms of continuity and story, and b) who can hopefully encourage me to keep writing once in a while when I've created something good.

We are all our own worst critics. This is part of the human condition, and for a writer to need feedback is a realization of that. I've been writing for over a decade now, I've produced thousands of pages worth of material ... literally ... and I still genuinely don't understand what it is people like about it. I consistently refer to myself as a "moderately talented hack", and it isn't a case of me angling for high praise.

I really don't see it. I compare myself to other writers (however dumb that may be, I just can't help doing so), and I always feel I fall -horrendously- short of the mark.

I wish more people would participate. It's the only way to know if what I've created is a pile of drivel or worth reading.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frazikar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, let's see here

First off, how hard is it to leave a comment (how many clicks/scrolls/mouseovers does it take to get to the comment area)?
Is there a registration required to leave a comment?

This may not seem improtant, but the more screens one goes through the less chance there is. Plus some readers may not want to lose anonymity (or just announce their presence).

Then, there's the reason for leaving a comment - clairification/continuity, general, nitpicking, other.

But this is mainly for the first comment, once done, others are easier to do...
Kit Fox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check this forum nearly everyday, mainly because you folks are cool... Fingers crossed for a sudden revival!
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit Fox wrote:
I check this forum nearly everyday, mainly because you folks are cool... Fingers crossed for a sudden revival!

D'aaaw ... we are wubed ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kit Fox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has to Aslaug
Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look in here every day too...

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drop by a few times each day, making sure everything is running smooth.

Kel

Kit Fox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have a choice Kel... You're a mod haha
Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that I have been on here for 12 years now... Very Happy

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Teric

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*pokes his head in and looks around, pleasantly surprised to see some old friends*

I was under the impression that this forum had gone the way of the Dodo, but to my surprise, here are folks still posting. Hello everyone! Good to see you again.

My first big immersion in the furry fandom was this site and the Raccoon's Bookshelf.

Kelvin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've hit the ten-year mark, myself. It's been a bumpy ride for me, but this place has always been so welcoming. I'm glad people are coming back. ^.-.^
Discord: kelvin#0465
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: