Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Shoulder
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrincessB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwalimu wrote:
I just heard that long-time PlanetFurry user Nicolai Borovskaya passed away a few days ago. Can anyone confirm or provide more details?

Yes, sorry I didn't bring the word here. I thought about it but was waiting to see if Rabbit did it since he was who shared the info with me last week.

The following is the email Rabbit sent me a week ago:

Our friend Chick Percy-- Nicolai Whitefur-- has passed away of a massive heart attack. Here is the note I received from his wife.

I just had a phone call from Chuck's brother, and Chuck passed away very suddenly of a massive heart attack last Saturday. This is such a total shock to me, and I am so saddened by this news. Chuck and I were still friends despite getting divorced in May, 2014. Alan, the brother, is in Meeker, CO taking care of everything. Chuck has been cremated, which is what he wanted, but there will be no funeral. Alan said that he had few, if any, friends there besides Mike, his best friend. I told him that I did not have the money to come there to help him with anything, and he understood that. Alan needed to go to the funeral home, and I have no further info at this time. He probably will take Chuck's ashes to his mother in Arizona. He has not told her yet, and he feels it will be better to do that in person. Please remember us all in your prayers.

Love
Sylvia

In a later note, Sylvia asked me to pass the news on to you guys and his fur-friends in general.

I dined with Chick every couple months or so during the bad times-- it seemed like it just wouldn't stop raining for him. At least he got to return for a bit to his beloved West for a bit, and so in a sense died at home.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is horrible news. Nicolai was a genuinely nice guy. He was always kind and helpful. I am really, really sorry to hear this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leonato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One knows all the lives one life touches only when it is lost.

He was a good friend of mine, and someone I looked to as a mentor in several fields, one of them being 'HAM' radio. It had always been something I wanted to do, but had always procrastinated about. That was until Chuck came along, got me some study material, put it in my paws with instruction to -study-. Then found a test session, and was even present for my testing for my license, as he was one of the 'Volunteer Examiners' licensed through the FCC. He got me to finally do something I should have done a very long time ago.

But he didn't stop at pushing some procrastinating cat to doing something he should have done a long time ago, he continued. He mentored me in the hobby, and all the ways that it enables a technically minded person to give back to the community.

It would then happen that me and him could be co-workers, as he came to work for the alarm company that I work for. His background in electronics helped, and allowed him to be quite indispensable, even if his age meant he didn't quite have the stamina of someone younger.

Long rides to customer sites in the company van, including riding over 2hrs to one project that went on for a month or so, gave us ample time to talk. We talked about everything, and nothing. He shared so many stories with me about life, fictional universes, and various things he'd done and seen. Always free and open with his tales, I came to really cherish those van rides. Cherish all that advice he laid out, and clarification and instruction even in some areas.

I am now an active member of the 'amateur radio' community, a member of the 'Amateur Radio Emergency Service' (ARES), and just generally a better person because of Chuck.

It hurt more than I let on, when he moved out to Colorado. He retired from the company, and went his own way. A part of me never completely forgave him, but I had known that what we had as friends and coworkers couldn't possibly last, as eventually he'd retire if nothing else. I had then, as more recently, just figured we'd have had more time together.

Work has kept me so incredibly busy, an excuse, I know, but it was allowed to interfere with e-mail correspondence, and response times. Still, trustworthy as ever, he kept up sending me funny cat pictures, especially of Lynxes, whenever he'd find something he knew I'd like. We still had stuff I wanted to talk about, but there would be time. There were still years left, to talk, to hash things out about fictional settings, and characters. Time left to talk about various exploits in amateur radio, or whatever else floated our boat (and it really was an incredibly broad range of topics.)

But life isn't like that. It doesn't work so simply, and there is never 'enough time'. I will still forever cherish the time we did have, and remember him fondly. I will re-tell his stories till my friends are tired of hearing them. And do what I can now, to honour his memory. It will always feel empty, as I feel I did not properly honour, nor respect, the time we did have, always thinking there would be more. Always greedy for more time, more time in which to converse, never realizing that the clock was shorter than my selfish wants.

Farewell, and Rest In Piece, my friend.

Leo

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrrgh! Yet another silent key. It seems many of the people I know in the ham community are fading into the ether.

Such a loss. Crying or Very sad

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hikaru wrote:
Arrrgh! Yet another silent key. It seems many of the people I know in the ham community are fading into the ether.

Such a loss. Crying or Very sad

It's always sad to hear of another ham going silent key. The elders are the ones that teach the new hams the ropes.

I'm sorry that I didn't know he was a ham. We could have had a conversation from time to time.

Kel

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Robin Williams

1951 - 2014

May you finally be free from your demons.

Major Ivy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aug. 29, 2014 - RIP - James Hardiman, Skunk Works.

Also Joan Rivers passed away at age 81.
Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a call from mu brother, our father is in the hospital, they say its only a matter of time now... Crying or Very sad

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Fox Stone wrote:
I got a call from mu brother, our father is in the hospital, they say its only a matter of time now... Crying or Very sad

I'll keep you and your father in my prayers.

Kel

Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellan Meig'h wrote:
I'll keep you and your father in my prayers.

Kel

Thanks Kel...

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father pasted away this morning in his sleep... Crying or Very sad

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Fox Stone wrote:

My condolences. Sad

Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kel...

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Fox Stone wrote:

I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tommy Fox Stone
Post Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Hikaru...

Doctor Of PF
CSA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 30 of 32

Jump to: