Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello... (long)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Introductions / Departures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tundrawolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Hello... (long) Reply with quote

Good day.

I have spent the last 10 years volunteering on and off, and living for a brief time at a wolf sanctuary. I have forged bonds with many of the animals there. I feel it is difficult not to anthropomorphisize the wolves as they are eerily human. I have written a bit of a novel (490 pages formatted "reading") about a man who falls in love with a lupine anthropomorph.

I am already working on the sequel, which is set in the future where the werewolf race is exploited for human gain, and have plans for the a third and possibly final installment. I am a Christian, and feel that it would not be right if I included any sex scenes so you will not find that in my novels. Though you will find some graphic violence and some sexuality.

As far as I go, I live in the rural desert and have to deal with rattlesnakes galore, cougars (The furry kind) and all manner of wild beasts. I have become a sort of survivalist out here, procuring food and water from the land, and learning how to survive with just my body and some primitive- and not so primitive tools and weapons. I enjoy shooting sports and hobbies, I always have since I was very young.

I enjoy riding off road vehicles, and as much as I should not, I have learned to ride my cruiser motorcycle as a dirt bike. (I have had to, it has been my primary transportation for years now, and I live on 2 miles of unpaved dirt road, ranging from soft loamy sand to hard pack rock) It's a blast to catch a little bit of air on a 700LB street bike, I must say.

I enjoy playing guitar and have a fairly decent rig, lots of amps, a handful of guitars, and the ability to digitally record in studio quality. Although I have been playing for 15 years, I consider my music private, and debate within myself often (As I have debated to post "Kumala") whether or not I should release any of my work publicly.

You will find elements of highly technical things in my novel (s) and this is because my mind had absorbed things of this nature since I was very young. I try not to make wild and impossible technologies up, and I base much of my work on Nikola Teslas work.

What else? I help my church with a food ministry gathering food for the hungry and the homeless and distributing it to various churches where peoples needs are met. I help an elderly couple with their ministry in virtually every capacity. It is daunting, exhausting, and rewarding.

I have been through a lot in my 32 years. A whole lot. I feel older than I actually am, by a factor of decades. But I suppose that is neither here, nor there.

The truth is that I bonded with a particular wolf at the sanctuary, who was my best friend. He was isolated because he was violent to the other wolves in his pen, and only a handful of people could go in with him. After feeling connected to him the owner finally gave me access to him.

He is at rest right now with God, which is an item of contention between Him and I right now, though we are working on it. I guess it is for the better.

I have tried often to describe my relationship with the wolf to people, how after even being bitten to the bone by him, having my clothes frequently torn to shreds in play, and even hurting him once accidentally whilst wrestling I felt an angel was protecting me from a mauling, I felt the way I did about him.

I wrote this story for several reasons, one of which was to try to help people to understand how and why I felt the way I did about him. It is on this level that I regret what sexuality I have included, lest someone parallel that with my relationship with the wolf.

However, I do not feel I could have added any sense of realism, or stirred up as strong of emotions as I did within myself without it. The owner once remarked that I had a very special relationship with the wolf, and I feel that this was true. I could tell what they were thinking, how they were feeling- it was not only a sense of enjoyment, as I could tailor my actions to suit their moods, but a matter of survival as well- when a wolf was feeling poorly I did not interact with it.

A wolf has no loyalties to man. A wolf is its own creature, which has earned it an undeserved reputation for being untrustworthy. Violent interactions between captive wolves and men are nearly every time the fault of the man, who ignored his instincts and chose to force his will on the wolf, even if it was as something as seemingly benign as petting the wolf, or even feeding it while inside the pen.

Trust me, I know this firsthand, I still bare the scar from where his 2"canine was buried to his gumline into my forearm, tearing the muscle open and scarring the bone deeply.

The story had been burning a hole in my mind for some time, and when I first set out to write it, I found myself consumed by it, enjoying every word, enjoying seeing the scenes unfold in my mind, then describing them as vividly as I could in a textual format. In a way, I discovered a part of my humanity while writing it, empathizing with the characters, and with the main character, Dave.

I do not want to seem unapproachable, as I feel I often exude that air, so don't feel intimidated in any way by my long winded post. I also apologize for my long winded introduction. I struggle often with trying to say as little as possible, but this is not one of those times.

All the best to you.

M. Wolf
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some people here tend to say, welcome to the insanity.

Most folks around this place are pretty decent, really, and you'll find a great deal of variety here, in terms of people, nationalities, animal-of-choice, perception of self, beliefs ... both political and religious ...

I guess in some ways this place is a pretty good example of the world as a whole Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the insanity . . . erm, I mean the forum!

*kicks straitjacket out of sight*

Enjoy your stay and do peruse the subforums!

Kellan, the old warhorse Mr. Green

tundrawolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind welcome. I have been looking for someoen to publish my novel, and there just doesn't seem to be much interest in publishing anything over 15,000 words. My novel (part one of three hopefully) is at 165,000 words, and already I am near half that on the second novel and growing. How do I post the first novel? Should I paste it in 3 sections as a thread? Any advice?
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestions for you -

If you haven't already done so, use LibreOffice (freeware) so you can break up your novel into chapters and convert them to pdf format from LibreOffice.

Find some free or cheap web hosting and post the chapters there, then link to them for each chapter.

Look at my sub-forum for examples.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Kel

Katra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Planetfurry. *Hugs and scritches ears.*
tundrawolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have decided to post something of an ongoing series. I'd like to post it in a thread. How do I do that?
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tundrawolf wrote:
Okay, I have decided to post something of an ongoing series. I'd like to post it in a thread. How do I do that?

you need to PM either Hikaru or Mike Regan to see if you can get a spot here or barring that, find some free hosting and link to your writings in the 'Feedback' forum.

Kel

tundrawolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need five posts... This is number four! Looks around...
tundrawolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Thank you, Hikaru for making me a slot in the story section! (More pics there)

http://www.planetfurry.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=95

Not sure what to do, here. I couldn't resist writing a character into my story that's, well, me. (He'll be in the next installment.) But this is my "hi" thread so, maybe it should go here as the story is only in the feedback forum right now.

Here I am next to my best friend.

Here we are discussing some stuff. If I remember right, he won the discussion. Not because he was right, but because his teeth are bigger than mine. (Actually he was playing)

If you want to know what he looks like, here's a picture of "Dave" and his bike, plus a shotgun for effect. Actually, the shotgun is my constant companion where I live.

If anyone is wondering, yeah, Dave's past is pretty much my own. (Give or take.) I have survived many things... I turned my life around, and now help with a food ministry feeding the hungry and the homeless. I am hoping to make some extra cash with the stories I want to sell, (Others I write for fun, like the one I started here), as they deal a lot with things I have actually been through, as well as the personalities and interactions with wolves I have met and gotten to know.

Despite my past, I actually have a fairly good education, and I was reading at the college level (SATs) when I was in the third grade, so I like to think I am fairly articulate. And, I have a fairly advanced technical background that I feel lends to a degree of realism in my stories. You may or may not agree with that Smile

The white wolf in those pictures adopted me into his pack. I was his everything, he was my reason to stay out of jail, to stay alive. He was all I had for many years. He was my comforter and my friend. A true friend... Who would wrestle with me when I was down until I felt better. The adrenaline that comes from having a two hundred forty pound wolf throw you around his pen like you're a rag doll is a great medicine for the blues!!!

Anyway... I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the story thread, but the thread is a place for reviews, so...

Despite my looks, I am pretty approachable. Razz
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tundrawolf wrote:
Despite my looks, I am pretty approachable. Razz

That's pretty much been my experience. It's the friendly-looking ones you gotta watch out for (especially if they're also hot). Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Introductions / Departures All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: