Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aslaug.eu blog comments
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsquare1111

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigermark wrote:

My take is, once you buy a legit copy, you should be able to reproduce it for your own use, but not for resale or mass distribution.

Ok, we are in agreement:
A. Reproduction for resale is a crime; as it should be.
B. Obtaining copyrighted media without purchase is a crime; again, as it should be.
C. Electronic limits on what you do with legally purchased media should not be. As long as there is no financial gain involved.
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsquare1111 wrote:

Point taken.
My counter point: was this as big an issue, for those who are old enough to remember, when we would get blank cassettes and record tracks from the radio.

Or... Once I purchased an album. I use to be able to make as many copies as I wanted if it was for private use, including giving it to someone else for free. Before the laws change I had no fear of prosecution.

Here in Norway there was a 'cassette tax' on blank tapes. This tax money went directly to the music industry's interest organisation here which then distributed the money based on what was most popular at the moment.
(What was selling and what was most often played on radio)

This of course was seen as bl**dy unfair by every home computer user in the 80s...
A similar system was attempted instigated on CDs, but was thankfully avoided. (I think there was a tax on recordable music CDs, though, but very few aactually use those)

As for the A, B, C list, there's a point D missing.
D. Selling or discarding the original physical media voids the right to keep or use any copies. (I consider the physical media a license to use the contents for personal use. Which is why I now have a 100GB iTunes library and a 900GB .mp4 movie collection. All legal)

I know there was a US-based company where you cold send your old CD collection, and they would send you a HDD with .MP3 files, then sell the old CDs. (Don't know what happened to it, though. Hopefully they drowned in Cyndi Lauper CDs... )

Who has the right to use the content of the CDs? The seller, who now has a .MP3 collection or the new owner who has the physical media?

Fun fact: Here in Norway the law says that "it's illegal to circumvent effective copy protection systems"...
In other words, if it's impossible to break the copy protection, it's illegal to do it.... Twisted Evil

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Frazikar

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, a small point for D - the 'original physical media' must still be usable (think 8-track)... otherwise the 'original physical media' passes to the 'current physical media' (copy).
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

You NEED some physical proof that you have the license. That means that you need to keep the original media even if it's unusable.
Tossing out the original CD/DVD and storing a copy in the cover isn't going to cut it. (someone may claim that you sold the media and kept the cover) The original receipt isn't much worth, either as again, you could have sold the media later.

Also, don't bother burning copies of your CD/DVDs as the copies never last. Even high-quality DVDs burned at low speed and later stored in a dark, temperature and muniditi-controlled room will fade within a few years. (Which is why my CD/DVD-collection now exists on 2 USB-HDDs stored in separate locations.)

Oh, and 8-track was never 'usable'...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Frazikar

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hnmmmm, 45/LP, reel-to-reel, 8-track/cassette, CD/DVD

Still have to account for lost (borrowed without being returned), and broken ([parents] clean-up) conditions [stolen implies an official record]...
dsquare1111

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazikar wrote:
Hmmm, a small point for D - the 'original physical media' must still be usable (think 8-track)... otherwise the 'original physical media' passes to the 'current physical media' (copy).

I'm not a legal scholar any stretch, but the term "proof of purchase" is what is tossed around most in the US of A. If I follow your line of thinking, then I am just as guilty as any self proclaim web pirate, because I still have digital copies of CDs I no longer have the 'original physical media'.

There is one detail that gets lost in this whole argument is the creative individuals that wrote/created the movie/music we enjoy. The production companies claim to be looking out for them, but we all know it is all about protecting their bottom line.
EXan

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Read.

Though one small mistake. It's the first amendment that calls for the separation of church and state.
The second is to arm Bears.

It looks like the USA is slowly sliding back into a third world country.
I just hope Obama wins again, otherwise we'll have religious loonies with nukes...

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh. Fixed that.

Oh, and this is post number 5000 on this board. Good going.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dsquare1111

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXan wrote:

I just hope Obama wins again, otherwise we'll have religious loonies with nukes...

Obama is not looking like the solution he promised. I kind really disappointed with his promise of "CHANGE" when thus far all we got is more of the same. He does not shoulder all the blame the. (The president does not write checks) "Change" aside congress is the blame. They are there to make sure our tax money is spent wisely, and the have failed at ti for some time now.

Bottom line. individually we all know you can't spend money you don't have, but congress has continued to pass policies that they know we can't pay for. In the end our grandchildren's grandchildren will still be stuck with trying to pay them.

Lets lay blame where it should be.
EXan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsquare1111 wrote:

Bottom line. individually we all know you can't spend money you don't have, but congress has continued to pass policies that they know we can't pay for. In the end our grandchildren's grandchildren will still be stuck with trying to pay them.

Lets lay blame where it should be.

Well when I look at the the US' national debt then it does seem like every time republicans get control of the white house it jumps up. But personally I think it's the bipartisan system of the US. Both sides will do anything to make the other look bad.

Though this is probably the reason why Obama hasn't been able to make much changes.

Having said that the US will need a lot of change to save it from going down the drain. And the only real idea with potentia I've hear is from Neil Degrasse Tyson: "Double NASA's budget." But then again both he and I are Biased for science.

dsquare1111

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXan wrote:

But then again both he and I are Biased for science.

I respect your point, but just like all of us do every day; we have to balance needs vs. wants. For the foreseeable future, those making policy need to do the same. They can start with a balanced budget.
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Obama has not delivered, then I dread to think what his opponent would do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry for the lack of update. I have emailed Bastion, but I haven't heard back from him. I will try again later today.
bastion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAM!

My groovy death metal band, Prevail
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
Frazikar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'A Night at the Opera'

As long as you enjoyed it, it's worth whatever was paid...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 40 of 46

Jump to: