Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burnout
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, methinks the filly is being extra sneaky...

- this is gonna be GOOD...-
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got somewhat of a dilemma on my hands here.

My new story, "Closed Game - Knight of the South", is coming along -beautifully-. I am up to four chapters (sending the fourth one to my proofers tonight), and the prologue is done as well. I've also done my usual writeup of the climax so I "have something to work towards".

But here is the thing. Erica, one of the two people reading this for me, spoke to me on Skype a few days ago, and she was absolutely adamant about one thing.

I should not post this story on the internet.

Because, as she said, as far as she is concerned, this is "the one". She was absolutely firm, that I shouldn't post it, but instead wait until it was done, and then send it to a publisher.

I've created good protagonists and good villains before, but apparently, I have cooked up something special this time. My usual self-doubts are telling me that I shouldn't be kidding myself, and that I'll never be more than a moderately talented hack, but on the other hand, I really want to believe her.

This is bugging me ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frazikar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

if most of your proofer do this (hopefully independently), go that route (after all, if rejected multiple times, there's still the 'net)...the wait may be worth it!!
The BioCobra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you've got a glowing opinion from one of your proofers. You'll want to get the opinion of the other one sooner or later.

Anyway, in all honesty, I think Erica is right on this one. If you and she feel that this story will be your defining moment, your crown jewel, then you deserve, for its sake and your own, to take a leap of faith and save it for a publisher. You strike me as someone who is prepared to take a risk, and in this case there is not really anything to lose, save a yonk or two of writing time and effort.

The first and indeed only book you've had published, AVC, is a similar case, of course. Okay, it was a furry story and designed for a limited market, but it was a novel. It was what got me into your writing and how we became such good friends, because you had the confidence in your writing to put that story and those characters in book form. Now bear in mind that it was also the story that got me into the ENTIRE furry genre. Your book did that.

I think its definitely time to make that step again. It'll be a bigger audience to appeal to, and a bigger step overall, but if you can write stories like the kind that can turn my view of the world around, then you shouldn't ever dare question that you have more than reasonable talent. I know you think my story-weaving is good, but I still feel it pales when compared to the kind of stories you can make believable, readable and re-readable.

In short; Erica's right, and have faith in yourself.

Anyway, as I said before, make sure you get your other proofer to agree with Erica's opinion or not, though I sincerely hope they do agree. Wink

Fino alla prossima volta, amica mia.

Cobra out.

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of [fur]kind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." — Dave Barry
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: An old warhorse's ramblings . . . Reply with quote

I'll chime in here. Or just ignore this post. Your choice.

Several years ago, I wrote a novel called "Destiny's Change." I guess I really should have vetted it with a few of my friends first. The problem was, at the time I did not have very many friends that understood a partially furry story so I bounced it off my Tigress, then sent it to Publish America.

Aslaug has read my tome and I think she will agree with me; it really needed help. It was a story with a good foundation but the 'trimmings' just weren't there. In short, it sucked. I didn't know this at the time because I was just too close to the story and my Tigress is not the best book critic.

What I would have given at the time to have someone say; "This is great!" or "This needs work!" When I finally get the rights to publish my book back, I'm going to re-write it heavily. It needs it.

@ Aslaug;

Filly, if several trusted people tell you, "This is the one!", then it must be.

Knowing what it would mean to you, I hope in my heart that it is the one, too.

*goes back to working on "redemption" and "Scribe"*

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I really want to read the story(for free), I also want you to succeed as an author.

Go ahead and pester some publishers with it.
And if no one want to publish it, we'll be waiting for you here, or on MobiPocket, or amazon, or...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: